cline's Building Some Hurtin' Bombs

cline

keep+moving+forward+after+getting+hit.jp

Main quest: Be like Rocky - It’s about finding out how hard I can get hit and keep moving forward; how much I can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done!

Motivation:  “Going in one more round when you don't think you can - that's what makes all the difference in your life†and I want Coach to continue telling me I’m a tough SOB.

Over the next year, I'll be doing the following on my quest:

• Testing up in Muay Thai - comes a couple months
  • Fighting in fight day at the fight camp – aiming for spring smoker
  • Doing a competition that involves weight (in lieu of CMC) – registration is not open yet
  • GoRuck Heavy – need another light or two (November & ?) and another challenge (tbd) under my belt

In order to progress in my quest, I need to work specifically on the following over the next 6 weeks:

I take all this wisdom from Duke - a powerful, smart trainer (character) in the Rocky films.  He trained Apollo and Rocky.

1) "All your strength, all your power, all your love. Everything you've got. Right now!...Punch until you can’t punch no more."

I do Muay Thai or strict boxing 3x week.  I train at an MMA fight camp (yeah yeah I talk about fight camp). 

In recent weeks, during sparing, I’ve realized that with all the increased heavy lifting and body building work I’ve been doing, my upper body is often tanked after an hour of Muay Thai.  This makes holding 16oz gloves up for guarding difficult and exhausting (we do class in 12oz gloves, spar at 16oz). 

I need to work on endurance for my arms.  I only need to be able to go three 5 mins rounds, but this is 24 hours after heavy lifting/body building work and after 1 hour of Muay Thai (punching and pad holding). 

How I’m going to improve:  2x’s a week do one of the following:

• work one round of shadow boxing with nonstop punches/slips/guard  - in other words gloves up for 2 minutes non-stop OR
  • run with punches for 1 min nonstop, rest, 1 min, rest, 1 minute for a total of 5 minutes of punching  OR
  • practice 1 min rounds x 2 of weighted punches (1 lb weights) or resistance band punches

2) "So, what we'll be calling on is good ol' fashion blunt force trauma. Horsepower. Heavy-duty, cast-iron, pile driving punches that will have to hurt so much they'll rattle his ancestors. Every time you hit him with a shot, it's gotta feel like he tried kissing the express train. Yeah! Let's start building some hurtin' bombs!"

I currently strength train 4x week with a fantastic program.  This program is a combination of pure powerlifting and body building/assistance work.  The program is working really well, so I’m not changing it up. 

I’ve set some goals around improving my pressing so coach and I are working a lot of presses right now.  During this challenge I want to improve my strict/military press by 10# for at least 1 good rep and continue to work on the speed and bottom position of my BP. 

To do this, I’ll stick with program exactly as written with pressing at least 2x week (sometimes for volume, sometimes for weight) with added pull-ups, chin-ups, and pushups per coach. 

How does pressing help with punches? All the same muscles worked in presses are worked in punching, specifically in hooks.  Hooks are key and I need to improve my hooks.  As in every other sport, strength translates into improved performance – here that means more powerful punches. 

This also means I have to do more on-going PT for my elbow tendonitis.  I’ll need to keep on with the PT everyday if I’m going to push and pull so much. 

3) "You're gonna have to go through hell, worse than any nightmare you've ever dreamed. But when it's over, I know you'll be the one standing. …You know what you have to do. Do it."

Hell?  Making weight is hell.  Naturally, I have a diet related goal. 

I'm hovering around 155 depending on the day.  I dropped some pounds recently, but I still want to drop more (say 5-7#).  I want to drop more to be in the amateur welterweight  class.  This is because I want to fight in my fight camp’s smoker in the spring.  Also, I perform and look good at that weight level.  And, that’s a weight close to a powerlifting class.  I think if I can be super strong and speedy at that weight, I’ll have a huge advantage.   At this point, it’s just a matter of dropping some body fat.  I figure I can drop 3-4 pounds this challenge.  That brings me within water weight manipulation for welterweight.  I can drop another 1-2 after this challenge and maintain.  For my long term quest, it would be best to hover around my fighting weight. 

This means tweaking the diet…again.  Luckily, my nutrition and diet are well dialed in.  I think I’ve figured out a good plan of attack:

• Muay Thai/Boxing days = very low carb (I like very low carb), higher fat, high protein, high veg. 
  • Weight Training days = low carb but around 100g maybe 125g (I won’t die if I get higher but I don’t want to get too far over 150g), lower fat, high protein, high veg. 

Coach supports a low carb diet.  Carbs, when included, will be mostly plantains, some potatoes, a bit of rice, occasional fruit. 

I also need to cut back on the beer again.  Damn you pumpkin beer.   Beer  1x week. 

Side quests:
Keep dealing with Paulie – Rocky had heart!  I did pretty well on this last challenge.  Keeping at it.

Private Muay Thai or boxing lesson/s – 1-2

In person feedback from coach on RGBP and CGBP & boxing

Do all my upcoming hiking in minimalist running shoes

Ruck 5K with my required brick load even if I have to walk part of it. Okay to slog.

Keep running 2x month, minimum and never before leg day.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

All these Rocky clips... But, the entire time I'm reading this challenge I'm thinking that there is a whoooole lot of Jules in you.

Talk to me about the Ruck 5k side quest...

You are going to destroy this challenge!

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

All these Rocky clips... But, the entire time I'm reading this challenge I'm thinking that there is a whoooole lot of Jules in you.

Talk to me about the Ruck 5k side quest...

You are going to destroy this challenge!

zomg I need a new wallet now...

I want to run a 5k with all me bricks in a bag.  I suspect I will die.  I have the given myself the option of slog = slow jog.  I will not make my 30min time required of all 5K runs.  I need to plan time for heaving and passing out and being resuscitated and then thanking those who brought me back to life, handing out gifts of gratitude, etc.  So I'm figuring 3-4 hours.  LOL.  (okay kidding but imma gonna die). 

I have no real reason for doing this other than to train like an idiot.  ;-) 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Training Saturday was an hour of Muay Thai BUT we had to spend the entire class southpaw!!!  What the what?  this is AWESOME!  So imagine doing something you normally do that is right hand dominant - e.g. bowling or shooting or something (running doesn't count!) - and now do it all left hand dominant!!! 

But here's the rub - you have to now defend a leftie too!  SQUEEEEEEE  it was so awesome.  I've been thinking about working in southpaw into my "go to" for sparring.  I've been playing with it a bit so this was awesome.

We finished class with an 8 min AMRAP combo of 10 burpees, 10 hand release pushups, 10 full situps (touch mat in front of you), 10 bw squats.  I did 4 rounds + 28 reps and freakin killed the class!  LOL.  You should see my speed burpees.  Ha ha ha.  WMAT taught me speed burpees and man can I kick them!  They are uuuugly but they count as burpees in competition. 

Yesterday's training was lifting with heavy OHP, BP, heavy bent rows (PR... if you call it a PR on bent rows), laterals (GAH!), DB shrugs (PR if you get to PR shrugs?), and pushups.

Why yes, those 85# DB are for girl shrugs.  and yes I was out shrugging that man next to me who tried to be all causal at the DB rack making like "Imma gonna go super heavy, nahhhh, let me think... Um maybe today is a kinda heavy day" and then had trouble picking up the 65# DB.  LOL.  Really, just work where you are dude.  Don't make me have to re-enact your testosterone fueled foolishness at brunch for my spousal unit.  (which I did and spousal unit did not enjoy as much as I did, but it was well acted.  Oscar please). 

and because honestly, I'm so freaking proud - last week PR'd my deadlift at 2x 1 for 300# and repped my current max at OHP.  BAM!  Because that's how winning is done. 

I AM going the distance

I keep telling the warriors that we should have to do weighted 5ks. Though it's been so long since I did any running that I'd probably need to work back up to a full 5k without weight first. At least it's getting to the time of year in Texas where it's only getting up to the low 90s?

"Training like an idiot" is a perfect reason for doing something.

I want video of this re-enactment.

300 lb DL.  So jealous.  Congrats!!!

I could post a video of what I think it will look like.  It would have hashtags like #mouthbreather, #deathbyruck, #noportabledefibrillator, #strangergavememouthtomouthandikissedhimewwww  etc .  It would be highly dramatic.  Please call the Emmy committee.

Agree - training like an idiot is the perfect reason to do things.  heh.

Thanks.  I'm still doing the happy dance.  And there was, in fact, a whoop and a skip and a dance.  That's why we have power racks - to protect the rest of the gym from celebratory celebrations of celebrating.

I AM going the distance

I keep telling the warriors that we should have to do weighted 5ks. Though it's been so long since I did any running that I'd probably need to work back up to a full 5k without weight first. At least it's getting to the time of year in Texas where it's only getting up to the low 90s?

Warriors running

g655115633g6.gif

I AM going the distance

Heh.  The re-enactment I was referring to was the shrug episode from the weekend.   ;)

Oh! That!  That was epic in it's fantastic display of testosterone re-enacting. 

This is probably why spousal unit did not enjoy it.  Plus, he never shrugs so that whole epic trap display is lost on him. 

I AM going the distance

Also - somewhere you mentioned speed burpees. I want to learn that technique. For real.

yeah you do!

Looks kinda like this:

form goes all to hell but what you get is chest touches ground, you jump up at the end, etc.  It counts.  I cranked them out in the CMC 2x.  You basically just through yourself on the ground and catch in a pushup position. 

here's the world's worst video: 

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=4419110750883

I AM going the distance

Hey, look! You got your videos working! Hooray! :)

I have a Go Ruck Challenge myself. Good luck with yours and the rest of this challenge. I'm watching... as usual. :)

ha ha ha - somebody taught me how to fix it!!! :pride: 

Hey! Good to see you back here!  :D

You're going to do selection after the heavy, right? ;)

Yea!  Are you back too? 

Selection is not for everyone (LOL - it's an insider joke b/c that's what's always posted). 

Nah, selection would kill me.  The last two selections have resulted in 0 successful completions.

But the funny thing is WMAT is always joking about it.  I tried to get him to do the light w me and he said "why do a light?  I'll just do a heavy.  And now that I'm thinking about it, I'll just skip ahead to selection".  LOL.  too funny.

I actually have little interest in selection.  I would totally do a 2 day team based thing with some support (e.g. a place to sleep). 

I AM going the distance

Last night was Muay Thai night!!!  SQUEEE!  I was fighting a sore throat (allergies??) all day and feeling run down but I went and had a fantastic class!  woot woot.  I had a fantastic partner who is more advanced than me AND a good coach!  We had a blast.  And she worked me so hard and helped me in weak areas.  It was a great class because it focused on defending. Defending is a struggle for me. 

Only quasi sucky thing is I can't jump rope (weellll... I don't really miss it) so I had to do all the jump rope rounds as shadow boxing.  This is exhausting.  Especially when you have to do more shadow boxing for the shadow boxing warm up.  GAH!  dying.  So I'm going to count all this extra shadow boxing yesterday as work on my goal. 

I talked with coach and I'm definitely going to help corner this weekend.  SQUEEE!  I'm a little bummed I didn't decide to spar in the smoker BUT I had a plan that involved my knee being really good for testing up (in a couple of months) and after this bad bout of tendonitis, I am sticking to my plan.  Test up first and then a smoker.  It's hard to stick to my plan but I'm doing it (even though I kinda want to spar instead). 

On the tendonitis front, stopping the jump rope has made a HUGE HUGE improvement.  The crippling, blinding pain is gone!!! As if by magic.  oh my gosh it's so much better.  wow.  I can actually go up and down stairs like a normal person with no pain.  *sigh*

Let's see what else?

I ate very low carb yesterday per plan.  Except for veg, I had 3 oz of berries.  Today is lower fat, higher carb so I have some plantains and berries for lunch.  PWO shake has about 16g of carb so that should do it for the day.  Also no wine last night!  woot.  I gotta get out of the habit of drinking a glass of wine (or two) with dinner every night. 

I'm also really struggling with the weight thing.  I tried on some pants I bought about this time last year.  Now at this time last year I was at my lowest weight (about 10-12# lighter than now).   I was training very differently and lifting heavy about 1-2x month.  I was doing more WOD type stuff and stuff with endurance.  Spousal unit said I was too skinny.  My old friend (a trainer) thought I looked haggard and said I look so much better now.  so, okay, I have been working on accepting this.  I am doing heavy training 4x a week now and it's made a huge difference. 

Anyhow, the pants are not really skinny pants but very very slim fitting and tapered.  And I love them.  And today, I couldn't really get them past my butt.  Well, I could but it didn't go well.  So I took them off and took inventory.  Here's what I know and I'm trying to accept:

I am currently wearing pants (a small size) I bought about this time last year.  They still fit but are tighter in calves, thighs, and butt but fit just dandy in the waist.  So the fact the other pants don't fit must be related to the cut of the pants.  They are really slim pants and these are "boyfriend" cut (whatever that means)

For the first time since spring, I put on a pair of levis I bought last winter (a very small size).  They still fit just fine and look good (they are not skinny jeans).  I can still wear all the shorts I bought last summer.  I can still wear the slim skirts I bought last summer.  I can still wear the booty shorts I bought last summer (and no muffin top) So, I am really hanging on to the fact that it's the cut of the pants.  (see me trying to convince myself of this)

And honestly, I think someone with legs like this would look funny in slim fitting pants, so yeah, it's probably better they don't fit.  But it's really hard to find pants.  I wear a lot of dresses and skirts.  This is why I don't wear leggings and boots (even though I wish I could)

I can squat 220 and dead lift 300.  I want to be really really strong.  I want a lot of visible muscles.  I want to be jacked.  This is what I want.  I'm trying very hard to be okay with my pants situation because I'm really pleased with my lifting. 

So I'm spending this morning trying to talk myself out of a melt down and I'm doing a decent job of it.  and this is a small miracle. 

I AM going the distance

Pants suck.  Jacked muscles always trump pants.  

I can squat 220, dead lift 300, and I look freaking great!

^^^Fixed.

Sell the pants on ebay and buy pants with a better cut.

Don't let a single pair of badly cut pants get you down.

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

I currently strength train 4x week with a fantastic program.  This program is a combination of pure powerlifting and body building/assistance work.  The program is working really well, so I’m not changing it up. 

Yes, yes it is. No changing allowed.

I also need to cut back on the beer again.  Damn you pumpkin beer.   Beer  1x week. 

Bummer. But, I know why you're putting the limit on there. Gots to make weight!

Do all my upcoming hiking in minimalist running shoes

Ruck 5K with my required brick load even if I have to walk part of it. Okay to slog.

I fully support these side goals. These are most awesome!

zomg I need a new wallet now...

I want to run a 5k with all me bricks in a bag.  I suspect I will die.  I have the given myself the option of slog = slow jog.  I will not make my 30min time required of all 5K runs.  I need to plan time for heaving and passing out and being resuscitated and then thanking those who brought me back to life, handing out gifts of gratitude, etc.  So I'm figuring 3-4 hours.  LOL.  (okay kidding but imma gonna die). 

I have no real reason for doing this other than to train like an idiot.  ;-)

Training like an idiot?? No way!! This is an awesome idea. My wife once told me after our daughter was born and she was attempting to reclaim her body, that she was so bummed that she had only lost ten pounds so far and what was the use. I told her 10 pounds doesn't seem like much, but over time it is a big deal. I suggested she go to the grocery store, grab a 10 pound sack of potatoes and carry that around the store for a bit and then tell me if she doesn't feel the progress she's made. It was merely an example, but to my surprise, she went to the store and did just that. She came home saying that measly sack of potatoes got heavy after just a few minutes. Carrying extra weight is an awesome way to train. I just wouldn't do it on a regular basis cuz your ankles and knee will hate you.

and because honestly, I'm so freaking proud - last week PR'd my deadlift at 2x 1 for 300# and repped my current max at OHP.  BAM!  Because that's how winning is done.

You should be proud, cuz you're working your ass off and you are winning.

Heh.  The re-enactment I was referring to was the shrug episode from the weekend.   ;)

I'd kinda like to see that too.

I can squat 220 and dead lift 300.  I want to be really really strong.  I want a lot of visible muscles.  I want to be jacked.  This is what I want.  I'm trying very hard to be okay with my pants situation because I'm really pleased with my lifting. 

So I'm spending this morning trying to talk myself out of a melt down and I'm doing a decent job of it.  and this is a small miracle.

You are getting strong and you should be pleased with your lifting. Don't let one pair of pants derail you from what you're after.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Good for you for avoiding a meltdown. I've been having some trouble with my increasing size this pregnancy, so I feel you. You are on your way to your goal; those pants are not in possession of all the facts!

That last line is so freaking awesome. 

Pants suck.  Jacked muscles always trump pants.  

^^^Fixed.

Sell the pants on ebay and buy pants with a better cut.

Don't let a single pair of badly cut pants get you down.

thanks.  I seek to be jacked.  At one point I described my goal as this:  I want to intimidate men.  (LOL)

My pants do not have the same goal.  Time we had a talk....

You are getting strong and you should be pleased with your lifting. Don't let one pair of pants derail you from what you're after.

You are right.  I'm trying really really hard.  You know with women folk (and some men folk) it's really hard.  Plus, I love those damn pants (and they have a friend in a different color).  Plus, I really liked how I looked in those pants. 

Maybe I'll just wear booty shorts everywhere. 

One time when I complained about pants to coach he said "wear men's clothes.  That's what my assistants do."  LOL.  I said seriously?  They work in a gym!  I have meetings with the C-Suite.  One cannot wear men's basketball shorts into the C-suite. 

Now booty shorts.... they seem to be appropriate anywhere.......

In sum, I'm doing surprisingly well with this.  I'm struggling a bit but I'm holding it together and jamming paleo egg salad, ham, and spinach into my face. 

I AM going the distance

Yes, yes it is. No changing allowed.

I fully support these side goals. These are most awesome!

Yeah.... it is.  I'm super happy.  And I'm enjoying it. 

I'm kind of stoked about trying my side goals.  They aren't big but might be fun.

Training like an idiot?? No way!! This is an awesome idea. My wife once told me after our daughter was born and she was attempting to reclaim her body, that she was so bummed that she had only lost ten pounds so far and what was the use. I told her 10 pounds doesn't seem like much, but over time it is a big deal. I suggested she go to the grocery store, grab a 10 pound sack of potatoes and carry that around the store for a bit and then tell me if she doesn't feel the progress she's made. It was merely an example, but to my surprise, she went to the store and did just that. She came home saying that measly sack of potatoes got heavy after just a few minutes. Carrying extra weight is an awesome way to train. I just wouldn't do it on a regular basis cuz your ankles and knee will hate you.

spousal unit and I talk about that all the time.  How much we weighed and how different things are now. 

Yeah, I don't train weighted regularly.  To be honest, it's extra hot (not in a good way) and I hate being hot.  I used to hate when WMAT would make me wear a weight vest.  blah. 

You should be proud, cuz you're working your ass off and you are winning.

awwwww... thanks for the continued support.  I've been trying to work on the feelings of failure and I'm doing a lot better with it.  I decided to take an approach of being a bit proud and I think it's working. 

I'd kinda like to see that too.

See.... If I made a video of my hilarious re-enactment, it would go viral on the youtube

and then I'd be flooded with requests to appear on talk shows

and then I'd end up on Arsenio Hall

and I'd think it was 1990

and then I'd start feeling like I should be wearing flannel

and watching Melrose Place

and then I'd end up really watching Twin Peaks on the Netflix

and wasting probably an entire month of my life

and then I'd get fired

and spousal unit would be after me to get a new job cause the kittehs gotta eat

and well, it's probably for the best that I don't make the video. 

Just sayin.

I AM going the distance

The read's like my son's If You Take a Mouse to the Movies book. He loves it! I find it annoying. Course, reading anything day after day gets annoying. So, I can see why you wouldn't want to make that video.

But, this is for you:

3odcb.jpg

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines