Strawberry Squatcake - How To Survive A Wedding In One Million Traumatic Steps

Strawberry Squatcake

This is my first challenge back with a life quest. And right now my life quest is 1. Survival until my sister’s wedding and 2. Make progress to stop the madness in my body.

Maybe #2 IS my life quest? I’m winging this, so let’s go with that.

Life quest: Stop the madness in my body!

I could do Susan Powter but this is more up my alley:

stop+the+madness.gif

And a mini quest this challenge is to survive until my sister’s wedding (which is at the end of the challenge). The stress is hitting what is hopefully the peak. Not good things going on intra-familially. Haha. That’s so not a word. People are fighting, saying mean things, getting their feelings hurt, and covering it up with fake smiles and high-pitched voices. Pretty much middle school girl locker room BS. That’s not what your locker room was like? 7th and 8th grade was intense.

3uyr7h.jpg

I digress. On to the plan!

tumblr_mpt3lrItpb1szx1oxo1_500.gif

Here are my three goals:

1. Get my AAT and Full Health Scan testing done. Develop a treatment plan. Follow as aggressively as possible to see results as quickly as possible. The reason for this goal is twofold: First, financial. I have set money aside and don’t want to chicken out when I start to see the costs add up. Second, once treatment starts, I’ll have to avoid foods for 24 hours, so I need to make plans around whatever I’m getting treated. For example, say I have an issue with beef. I eat beef all the time b/c I have it in my freezer. I don’t want to negate treatment b/c I haven’t planned something as simple as my meals.

2. Until I get treatment for my known trigger foods (eggs, dairy, tomatoes, peppers and wheat) – keep avoiding those foods. When they’re treated, figure out the best way to reintroduce (will it have to be slowly, for example? Or maybe I need all of my foods treated before I reintroduce the biggest offenders?). No sense in creating havoc when it’s not necessary. So the goal is no trip ups on these five foods until I have clearance to do so. And even then, proceed with caution (reintroducing one at a time, no more than one per week, in small doses, building up). <-- That's assuming the doctor doesn't give a more conservative plan, which will trump mine. 

3. Stay up on the housework. This weekend I saw how stress affects some of the AI stuff I have going on. If my house is clean, it’s calm and relaxing. I get behind and life gets more stressful than it needs to be (partly b/c things aren’t done or ready, or I can’t find stuff, or I just get stressed looking at a mess or too much piled up laundry, etc.). So, to minimize stress, the goal is to do 10 minutes of housework a day. And batch cook one weekend day (planned around the week’s treatment plans).

I don’t have a specific workout goal. I pretty easily get 3 workouts in a week. I've really been enjoying hot yoga so that's for sure something I'll keep up. And I usually do at least one strength-based workout a week. And I generally get in a bike ride or some type of sprint/walk interval training.

I cut back to three workouts a while ago to support cortisol and adrenals. I’ll find out with this testing whether my adrenals are an issue, and how my cortisol looks. So if I need to reduce workouts further, I will. Or if I’m good where I am, I’ll continue there or add in more workouts if that’s OK, too. I’ve always said I think nutrition is where I’m losing momentum, so that’s where my challenge will continue to focus.

That’s it!

orig-21241971.jpg

ETA: I forgot to add, the reason I decided to hang in a new guild this challenge is I've recently started to see so many benefits from yoga and meditation. I want to keep that going. I officiated a wedding this last weekend (yes, I married the couple - in front of more than a hundred people), and I made it a point to get in yoga during the week, honed my diet for the best emotional state possible, and did a semi-short meditation in my hotel room before driving over before the ceremony. And I did a lot of deep breathing before I got up on the altar and during short breaks during the ceremony. There's power in learning to accept your emotions, and teaching yourself how to calm quickly. I loved that I was able to conquer probably the scariest thing I've ever done through meditation! 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Sounds like your challenge is all about adjusting to what comes your way with the target to still reach your goals. Awareness and Flexibility, two very druidy things! 

Anyway, glad to have you back for another round with the Druids. And even more glad that you have seen benefits from yoga and meditation. Hope you get the eating-madness sorted out and survive the pre-wedding-madness! 

You officiated a wedding!?!?! Awesome!

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

YES!

Hell yes!

Sounds like your challenge is all about adjusting to what comes your way with the target to still reach your goals. Awareness and Flexibility, two very druidy things! 

Anyway, glad to have you back for another round with the Druids. And even more glad that you have seen benefits from yoga and meditation. Hope you get the eating-madness sorted out and survive the pre-wedding-madness! 

You officiated a wedding!?!?! Awesome!

Yes, this AAT stuff is all new to me. I have no idea what to expect, but it's my priority right now. So adjust and refocus! 

Yes on officiating a wedding. I was scared to death initially to accept the invite but ultimately said, "This might be the only time I get the chance. So I NEED to do this!" It was fun taking that on and ultimately doing an OK job! 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

44041-oh-my-god-janice-friends-gif-79NU.

Squatcake has a challenge!

tumblr_m8neduk5Qv1qbwv6ko1_500.gif

Rejoice!

and I found this one.. really wanted to post it b/c it's in my top 5 favorite Phoebe moments and seems somewhat relevant with the wedding stuff.

friends-gif-phoebe-buffay-Favim.com-3751

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I really like your housework goal.  It definitely makes a difference in how calm or stressful your home feels, depending on how messy it is.  It's hard to relax when there's stuff all over the place.

I totally agree. I'm not a clean freak or anything, but sometimes think maybe I should learn a little something from Danny Tanner.

tumblr_m2kr4rDyfy1qas7f1o2_r2_250.gif

Clean is good, and dirt is bad.

OK, I was really going for the Danny Tanner daily chores chart. I think laundry day was Tuesday. Which is today! I should do laundry tonight. 

44041-oh-my-god-janice-friends-gif-79NU.

Squatcake has a challenge!

tumblr_m8neduk5Qv1qbwv6ko1_500.gif

Rejoice!

and I found this one.. really wanted to post it b/c it's in my top 5 favorite Phoebe moments and seems somewhat relevant with the wedding stuff.

friends-gif-phoebe-buffay-Favim.com-3751

I think most of my favorite moments are Phoebe moments! And yes, it does go with the wedding stuff.

OK, day one went pretty well. Got in about 30 minutes of cleaning. That's 3X my goal! But if I hadn't made a specific plan to do so, I probably would have blown it off for "just tonight." MOstly did stuff in my kitchen and dining room.

And I spent an hour looking for three things: a gift I bought for my sister for her shower (she's since decided not to have a shower, but I realized I had no idea where I put the gift), my fall wreath (for whatever reason last night was THE NIGHT to put it up - I LOVE fall!), and my hot glue gun to fix my fall wreath.

Made me realize I have so much stuff. Not that it's stuff I never use. But that I don't really have as much of a system for it as I used to. So I'm going to make some plans for that. I have room under my stairs I could put some shelving. Just have to decide how. And my basement storage room and garage are mostly clean (people always comment on how organize it LOOKS), but it could definitely use a cleanup during the cooler weather of fall (well, the garage during fall, but may as well get the storage room done, too). So I'm adding those as goals to work on (the shelving will be more of a chore, so maybe just making plans for that) over the course of the challenge.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Just when I thought I was out of practice with my friends gifs, I come across this gem that sums up how I feel pretty much all the time.  

tumblr_mkuhweXSRL1s3oe2qo1_250.gif

Although I will say that Danny tanner could really use some more mobility work.  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Just when I thought I was out of practice with my friends gifs, I come across this gem that sums up how I feel pretty much all the time.  

tumblr_mkuhweXSRL1s3oe2qo1_250.gif

Hahaha! I noticed that, too! So did Lauren:

cry-laguna-beach-lauren-conrad-lc-sad-Fa

(Is it bad I was like, "Look! I have better mobility than one single person in the whole world!")

The problem is, this is what he does for mobility:

First, a quick warmup to get the blood flowing:

tumblr_mjbp6yHUeX1r9x1oyo1_400.gif

Then he gets in there for the real deal:

051712-fine-wine-addition-2.gif

Does a cooldown/eyebrow stretch:

BobSaget.gif

But he does have a PWO bulletproof coffee:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-7922-1374067093-16.

It's sad I had a really good time looking for these GIFs. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

If there had been coffee, it would have been spit out.

The problem is, this is what he does for mobility:

First, a quick warmup to get the blood flowing:

tumblr_mjbp6yHUeX1r9x1oyo1_400.gif

Then he gets in there for the real deal:

051712-fine-wine-addition-2.gif

Does a cooldown/eyebrow stretch:

BobSaget.gif

But he does have a PWO bulletproof coffee:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-7922-1374067093-16.

It's sad I had a really good time looking for these GIFs.

This might be the best thing I've ever seen. +1 internet for Squatcake.

Yay survival challenges! :) I'm so excited to see how all this AAT stuff pans out for you.

What is it that links warriors and .gif so much?

Would it be accurate to blame Laura? Yes, yes I think it would be. ;) I'm not as funny as most people with their gifs. But I still have fun looking for them. The Full House stuff is because I watched two glorious episodes in my hotel room this weekend. I love that show but never get to watch it anymore. Reminds me of my well-spent Fridays (TGIF!) of my youth! Makes me want to have a slumber party. Or jump on the trampoline!

Welcome to the druids!

Thank you! I almost setup a challenge as a Druid two challenges ago, but instead spent the last two challenges honing my diet. So, here I am. Finally! And I've been doing hot yoga the past few weeks, and love it. So I think I want to focus more on that than JUST lifting. I get so tight when I lift, even if I do a decent amount of mobility. I actually prefer yoga to traditional mobility.

What kind of madness is in your body?

Oh man, you don't want to know! About two years ago I suddenly became intolerant to eggs. My face would break out whenever I ate them. I never had that issue before. I went a full year avoiding them, and then suddenly peppers (all kinds, sweet, hot, etc.) made my face break out. And each time this happens, it took me awhile to figure out which food was the culprit. And then about four or so months ago, "creamier" dairy products (like sour cream, ice cream, anything with milk in it still in a milky form, like dressings) started making my face break out. I read that if you keep having more and more intolerance reactions, it can be because somethign (specifically tomatoes) is helping promote those foods getting past your gut. Or because there's another underlying intolerance not allowing you to heal (most common ones were gluten, dairy and soy). So I went totally AIP paleo (paleo + no nuts, seeds, nightshades, etc.). Including no nightshade spices.

I STILL was having problems with digestion, and then my face broke out worse than it has in a long time.

Another NFer (Blueberries) said her husband had some success with AAT (Advanced Allergy Therapeutics). So I decided to check it out (through a chiropractor). This doctor was the BEST doctor I've ever talked to. She actually looked at my pre-exam survey thing. And went through each one.She and another nurse took notes. And then she showed me the AAT stuff, as well as discussed a "full health scan" (that might not be the name). Between the two you can figure out what allergies you have, and treat them (all without needles) - which would help me not feel like such a recluse (since I can't go out for dinner or drinks anymore!), as well as which organs are stronger and weaker, and how to treat to help improve the efficiency of those weakened organs. All without needles! Part of my issue has been I'm not sure what to check. But also, everyone has a really hard time drawing my blood. So I've felt really stuck, and growing more and more frustrated.

On top of that, I eat about 1200-1500 calories a day on average, and I can't lose weight no matter what I do. I get over 1500 and I gain slowly. I get over 1800 and gain very quickly. 

Oh! So she did a demo of the allergy thing on me based on soem of the stuff I gave her. I'm allergic (just from those tests) to wheat and egg (suspected), magnesium (SO WEIRD, but made sense once she explained it - I was taking endless amounts orally and it would never work, but I started doign mag oil topically and it was like night and day) and MY OWN EYE! I have what I think is an autoimmune disease that causes essentially really bad dry eye. It's triggered a lot by stress, but I assumed food triggered it, too. Only she said no, it's not food, it's an allergy to my eye, so my body's trying to fight it off. Creepy!

I go for the full blown allergy and body scan tomorrow (YIPPEE!) and will go back Friday for a treatment plan. I just want to start feeling better, and STOP being intolerant/reacting to more and more and more stuff! 

Are you sorry you asked? :) It's a long story. But hopefully soon a thing of the past! 

There are lots of great success stories with AAT. So I'm really hopeful. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Would it be accurate to blame Laura? Yes, yes I think it would be. ;) I'm not as funny as most people with their gifs. But I still have fun looking for them. The Full House stuff is because I watched two glorious episodes in my hotel room this weekend. I love that show but never get to watch it anymore. Reminds me of my well-spent Fridays (TGIF!) of my youth! Makes me want to have a slumber party. Or jump on the trampoline!

I think it's accurate. I'll accept that blame.

And that is totally false. You are freaking hilarious.

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

And I spent an hour looking for three things: a gift I bought for my sister for her shower (she's since decided not to have a shower, but I realized I had no idea where I put the gift), my fall wreath (for whatever reason last night was THE NIGHT to put it up - I LOVE fall!), and my hot glue gun to fix my fall wreath.

You should just do like I do and keep the fall wreath up year round.  It's easy to find that way.  I try to tell myself I'm not as bad as the people who leave their Christmas lights up all year, but I'm not sure I'm really convincing anyone.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

I think it's accurate. I'll accept that blame.

And that is totally false. You are freaking hilarious.

Awww. Well, thank you for that! <3

You should just do like I do and keep the fall wreath up year round.  It's easy to find that way.  I try to tell myself I'm not as bad as the people who leave their Christmas lights up all year, but I'm not sure I'm really convincing anyone.

Oh, that's an excellent idea. I never pay much attention to people who still have their Christmas lights up, so if you did that, *I* wouldn't notice anyway! My HOA (they're some bitter, lonely people) have a meltdown every year about people leaving their lights up (let's be clear - they don't turn them on, I'd probably notice that). So because they're so anti-lights, I'm all pro-lights now. I want to tell them to turn them on for every holiday. And holiday is loosely defined. Tomorrow's your daughter's first day of school? Turn the lights on! Your team's playing baseball tonight (aren't there baseball games like every night?)? Turn the lights on! I think it's silly that the HOA thinks lights can ONLY be for Christmas. I say celebrate all the time! Haha. I want to start a movement! (But mostly my HOA is petty and detracts from the neighborhood. So I'm just being immature.)

Good luck with the test!  I hope you finally get some answers :)

Thank you! I'm so excited for it today. I wish treatment could start faster!! 

I came across this video: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mcjnc1txRA&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1Mcjnc1txRA

It's a bit... Cheesy (is that the word I'm looking for?) for me. But, the first part of the video where she's pushing the arm down is exactly how the AAT test works. Well, except the computer stimulates the wrist with kind of a blood pressure cuff instead of holding an actual food. And then the doctor pushes down on the arm.

But the third test is one you can do yourself. I actually did it this morning with a handful of supplements. And I totally get that it can be my brain telling me to go one way or the other.

So, these are the things I did:

• Magnesium supplement (leaned back)
  • Magnesium oil (leaned back - I guess I shouldn't be surprised more on that in a second)
  • Vitamin D (leaned forward)
  • Fish oil (I can't remember on this one - I think it was leaned forward?)
  • Vitamin C (leaned back - that surprised me, I've been taking vitamin C regularly since I was in middle or high school!)
  • Full spectrum mineral supplement, which contains magnesium (this one was weird, and I am not sure if my brain affected it - but first I leaned forward, then I leaned back, then forward, then back)
  • Zinc (leaned forward)
  • Banana (almost no reaction)
  • Strawberries (did kind of the same thing, forward and back but very, very slightly, it felt almost like it was just general imbalance on my part)

The supplements felt to give a bigger reaction. The only difference was I thought about specific foods when I held them a lot more than supplements. I thought about how they make me feel when I eat them, etc. And I was standing on carpet for the supps, and on hardwood for the foods. 

The better test would be to have someone hand me foods and supplements randomly with my eyes closed and see how I respond and repeat some, etc. to make sure the response is 100%. 

What a fun thing to try in stores. I can see me standing in the aisles, holding foods with my eyes closed! HAHAHA! I love being "that girl" as long as it's just weird, "What's she doing?" And not, "OMG. I wish she'd stop and go away." 

Also, last night, I put some mag oil on my head (I usually do this before showering if I remember, it's supposed to sit for 20ish minutes). So then I got on my iPad after putting it on my head and my eye started getting all blurry and drainagey. So, now I wonder if the doctor told me I coudl keep using mag oil, but I'm still allergic to it. I'd never noticed the correlation before. But probably partly because I wasn't aware one could be allergic to minerals. I also have a suspicion oral magnesium gave me a breakout last week. My face is looking better and better. I wonder if it was the magnesium with the most recent round of acne, and it's not dairy. I've been eating cheese this week pretty freely (this is why you don't eliminate foods you love for no apparent reason, it causes bingeing!) and my face looks better than it has in a long time. (Mind you, I haven't gone the sour cream/ice cream/milk route, yet, since THOSE were the specific foods I'd suspected.) But I haven't taken any oral magnesium. And last night was the first time I've used mag oil since last week. 

As soon as my eye got blurry last night, I jumped in the shower and washed my hair. So it was probably 5-10 of the normal 20-30 minutes. I'll probably avoid mag in any form until after I get it treated. 

That's really all. Nothing else exciting last night.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

What a fun thing to try in stores. I can see me standing in the aisles, holding foods with my eyes closed! HAHAHA! I love being "that girl" as long as it's just weird, "What's she doing?" And not, "OMG. I wish she'd stop and go away."

This is a really fantastic visual. Haha!

i can only dream of keeping pace with the awesomeness that is your gif-tastic thread.  sigh.

just wanted to say best of luck and thank you for your awesome thread. i too heart full house - those gifs made my day.

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

This is a really fantastic visual. Haha!

You know you're standing in your house testing everything you can get your hands on. Let's take it public and start a movement! 

i can only dream of keeping pace with the awesomeness that is your gif-tastic thread.  sigh.

just wanted to say best of luck and thank you for your awesome thread. i too heart full house - those gifs made my day.

Full House is one of the greats! Have you read Stephanie Tanner's book? It's actually a good read. But maybe that's spawned more by my addiction intrigue. (I had some friends who fell into addiction really young. It happened really fast, and I was always so intrigued by the grip addiction has, how they fought it without treatment, failed treatments, and as far as I know, the closest couple of those friends are all clean now. )

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

WARNING! WARNING! Longest post known to NF-kind. All about allergy testing yesterday. It’s long and that’s all it’s about. So if you don’t read, I’m not offended. For anyone interested or who’s followed my food/allergy/intolerance/weight loss journey, you might be interested. Or you might not.

I did four things:

• AAT (advanced allergy therapeutics) testing and one treatment
  • Full health scan
  • Emotional release (one emotion)
  • Detox foot bath
I’ll talk most about AAT, because that’s why I went, and that’s what I really want to focus on. But I’ll talk about the other things in case anyone’s interested.

AAT

If I could go back, I would ONLY do the allergy testing now, and do the rest of the stuff later, if I wanted to. I suppose knowledge is always good.Some things I wasn’t surprised by. Other things I was. Although, at this point in my food journey, nothing surprises me that much! But there were some revelations.

Here’s the list of my reactions, in no particular order:

• Amines
  • Caffeine (sad face)
  • Calcium
  • Chocolate
  • Coffee
  • Dairy (generally includes milk, cheese, casein, lactose)
  • Eggs
  • Grains (last week she specifically tested me for wheat, but this includes wheat, gluten, glaidin, glutenin, maltose)
  • Food Phenolics
  • Iron
  • Minerals (I treated for this one and from what I remember it included: calcium and iron (listed above), magnesium, fluoride, fluorine… And there were others, I wish I’d written them down)
  • Soy
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B
  • Vitamin C
  • Berries
  • Citrus
  • Fruit
  • Spices
  • Digestive Acids (this means you’re allergic to your own digestive juices (can be one or all), like HCL, food acids, metabolic acids, etc.)
  • Acidic Waste (??)
  • Amino Acids
  • Digestive Hormones (lists Gastrin as one)
  • Fermentation Toxin
  • Putrificaiton Toxin
  • Dogs
  • Dust
  • Dust mites
  • Fungus
  • Grass
  • Mildew
  • Molds
  • Plant Pheonics
  • Grass Pollen
  • Tree Pollen
  • Weed Pollen
  • Histamines
  • Systemic Fungus
  • Weeds
  • Peppers (tested generally for all peppers, tested more specifically for bell, but I think she said I can treat ALL of the peppers at once)
  • Eye (my own eye)
  • Cat Litter (she tested this b/c I avoid cats since they make me miserable – so either I’ve outgrown that, or I’ve always been allergic to the cat litter – she said this is very common)
  • Sebacious Gland
  • Sebum
  • Free Fatty Acids (these last three are skin related, she tested them b/c of my acne issue, and I think all three can be treated simultaneously)
  • Pituitary Gland (she tested this b/c of other test results)
  • Estrogen
  • Progesterone (these last two might also be affecting the pituitary gland AND my skin)
Here are some things I’m NOT allergic to (so you can see what else they tested – although you can ask to test whatever):
  • Beans
  • Chicken
  • Corn
  • Almost everything fake (flavor enhancers, colornings, preservatives, glutamates, salicylates, artificial sweeteners, MSG, etc. – I think all of those are fake-ish, I might have grouped them wrong)
  • Meat
  • Protein
  • Turkey
  • Vitamins D & E
  • Alcohol
  • Fish (including shellfish)
  • Melon
  • Potatoes
  • Nuts
  • Yeast
  • Red and White Wine
  • Sulfites and Tannins
  • Tomato
  • Vinegar
  • Digestive things: base, chime, digestive mucus
  • Cats
  • Cockroaches (yuck!)
  • Flowers (including their pollen), Plants and Trees
  • My own sinuses
Some feedback:

I think she thought I’d want to go after the acne stuff first. Which, going in, I felt like I would. But after they told me I was allergic to magnesium last week, I stopped using it, you know, EVERY SINGLE DAY! I used it once Saturday night b/c I could feel myself starting to get a charley horse (probably from drinking alcohol and being on my feet all day and dancing at that wedding). And Tuesday I felt my legs getting all crampy again, so I used some. Sunday I got a small pimple. And Tuesday night with it on me, my eye started to freak out, and then Wednesday I had a small pimple. Since I clearly am very low in and NEED magnesium to function, I decided this was where I should start. I mean, what’s more essential than being able to absorb and not fight of vitamins and minerals? Plus, food allergies can’t be treated until vitamins and minerals are.

Because of that, I’ve decided to treat the vitamins I reacted to (A, B and C – three separate treatments, unfortunately) next.

Magnesium fell in a general “minerals†group, which treated a bunch of stuff. Those I reacted to included magnesium, iron, calcium, fluoride, fluorine, and a few others I can’t remember. The interesting thing is after treating minerals as a whole and each mineral separately, she broke down the types of each mineral, and calcium carbonate was still there. A few years ago I stopped using general toothpaste b/c it was making my face break out. I switched to something called Squigle. I believe at the time it might be caused by sodium laurel sulfate. After I finished the tube, I switched back to normal toothpaste to test. Still breaking out. I bought more Squigle and their other toothpaste, Tooth Builder. Then Princess Heather suggested I try making my own toothpaste. So I made one with coconut oil, baking soda and calcium carbonate. The next morning I woke up with a huge (I mean HUGE) pimple on the side of my nose face (this thing was HORRIBLE!). However, this was also the same time I was getting sick with what may or may not have been walking pneumonia. It was the sickest I’ve been in years (not saying much, I haven’t been that sick, but this lingered). So it’s possible being sick was what caused the breakout. But in the next few weeks, as I continued to use that toothpaste, my whole chin and under my nose broke out. I originally also assumed it was from being sick. But it lingered into the following week when I was feeling mostly well. One night I was getting ready to brush my teeth and realized, “THE TOOTHPASTE!†I stopped using it, and almost immediately my face improved. So seeing calcium carbonate on the list made me laugh. Who knew you could be allergic to minerals? I didn’t until last week! But now for sure I know of two that I was allergic to that were affecting my skin.

Since I’ve been avoiding magnesium, my face yesterday was actually looking the best it has in months.

As a side note, I also have avoided calcium supplements in general most of my life because they always make me feel bloated, and constipate me (which I struggle with regardless).

I’ve never had an issue with being anemic or anything, so the iron thing did surprise me. I obviously had no reaction in general to the other supplements.

Interesting aside. Yesterday morning I watched this video (warning it’s VERY hippie, and the way they talk makes it sound very, very scammy):

This is a good explanation of how the lean test works. 

The first technique is how they actually test all of these foods/minerals (except it’s with a machine simulating the food/mineral/thing, rather than holding it). The second technique I hadn’t seen, but is similar b/c it’s testing how a muscle reacts (stays strong or breaks down).

And the third technique I thought, “Huh. I want to try that!†So I went to my supplements drawer and started pulling them out randomly. Magnesium made me fall away (negative). Figured maybe it was my brain, since I already knew. Pulled out zinc, fell forward (good - I had absolutely no emotional response to this, I’d been taking it for leaky gut, but it didn’t ever change how I felt). Vitamin D made me fall forward (good). Vitamin C made me fall back (negative). I was like, “No way that’s true. I’ve taken this most of my whole life with no negative reaction). And fish oil I didn’t have any response to, I don’t think. I know it wasn’t negative. Then at work, I retested magnesium (the oral stuff). Same thing, fell back. And I tested a Diet Coke, for fun. No reaction (good or bad, but I tried two foods at home, no reaction either).

All of these things were actually accurate during testing. When she tested vitamin C I actually asked her to do it again. And was like, “I don’t see how that’s true!†She said your body can have a wide range of negative reactions. Sometimes it affects your muscles or causes systemic inflammation without making you feel sick or tired or anything else. And zinc came back OK (like my tests suggested). Vitamin D came back ok (like tests suggested).

I’d like to get my hands on some eggs or peppers to test those since I do react to those.

ANYWAY, that’s an aside to say if you’re concerned about a supplement, it’s an easy test that did work for me (for supplements, I haven’t found foods that work). Make sure you’re barefoot and that you don’t have any synthetic materials on (I was wearing a cotton tshirt and capri yoga-like pants when I did my testing). I told my sister we should test my niece/her daughter. She’s only two, so I’m not sure if we’d be able to do it.

I found it interesting I didn’t react to tomatoes, potatoes, corn or beans. That makes me want to make some chili (with beans). Come on fall!

I’m not surprised by any of the nature stuff. And I told her I know it sucks to have those, but I’m used to it. So if I can fix them, great, but they’re not my priority.

Oh, also, during some of my skin research, I kept reading that vitamins C, B and E are important to keeping acne at bay. And just like with mag oil, some people have better results topically than orally. So I bought some vitamin B, C and E oils, and have been applying them to my face the past week. And I noticed a difference in how my skin looked (the parts that weren’t breaking out) even before I cut out the magnesium. So maybe further proof fixing these vitamins is necessary.

I have setup five additional appointments. And we’ll see if I do more after that. This is the order I’m considering fixing stuff in (this would fix the vitamins and allow me to fix my two biggest trigger foods):

• Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B
  • Vitamin C
  • Peppers
  • Eggs
  • Dairy
  • Sebacious Gland, Sebum and Free Fatty Acids (I think she said these can go together – for skin)
  • Eye
  • Caffeine
The last three might change order, but right now that’s how I feel about them. I drink caffeine every day, but never notice a reaction to it unless I drink a lot (then I feel jittery and sick). So if I make an effort to reduce hopefully that won’t be a big deal.

Here are the remaining priorities in no order, but maybe I’ll deal with them a lot more slowly since these treatments are so expensive:

• Grains
  • Soy
  • Berries
  • Citrus
  • Fruit
  • Spices
  • Dogs
  • Cat Litter
  • Dust
  • Mold and Mildew (can be treated together)
  • Histamines
  • Pituitary Gland
  • Estrogen
  • Progesterone
And then there are the digestive things that PROBABLY need to be treated. But I’ll just wait and see if I continue to feel like food’s not digesting or I keep getting constipation (is that a digestive thing?)…
  • Digestive Acids
  • Acidic Waste
  • Amino Acids
  • Digestive Hormones (lists Gastrin as one)
  • Fermentation Toxin
  • Putrification Toxin
And then I MIGHT move into some of the outdoor stuff like, but there are SO MANY!:
  • Grass
  • Plant Pheonics
  • Grass Pollen
  • Tree Pollen
  • Weed Pollen
  • Weeds
Which leaves me with the ones I need to research or consider more:
  • Amines
  • Food Phenolics
  • Fermentation Toxin
  • Putrificaiton Toxin
  • Dust mites
  • Fungus
  • Systemic Fungus
Full Health Scan

This is basically using the same technique as above to test my organs. I am not sure if I remember these, but I THINK I have a decent list of what they were:

• Pituitary gland
  • Thyroid
  • Cortisol
  • Adrenal Glands
  • Strep and Staph
  • Electronic Negative
The thyroid - Several people have told me to get tested, but two problems: One no one can draw my blood (no exaggeration). The nurse that can occasionally get it from my hand isn’t always at the doctor’s office. And sometimes they get offended if I ask for her. Beyond that, I don’t have most of the symptoms. I don’t have any hair issues, I don’t have any muscle pain (or what I did was relieved with magnesium oil). I don’t have joint pains unless I’m sick, and I attribute that to the sickness, but maybe I’m wrong? I do have issues with constipation, but it comes and goes, and I always assumed it was diet. I have absolutely no hormonal issues. My cycle is spot on every single month, I can feel it when I’m ovulating, etc. I’m never cold. My cholesterol’s fine. I don’t feel depressed, and the low-grade anxiety I had (but didn’t realize I had) was relieved totally when I cut out gluten. And I don’t have fatigue. When I’m tired, it’s simply because I didn’t sleep long enough. The only issue I really have is inability to lose weight. But maybe there are improvements to be made everywhere else and I’m so used to them I don’t know they’re problems? (Similar to the anxiety I didn’t realize I had. I can probably feel better, but don’t realize it b/c I’ve felt bad long enough?) Anyway, I had bought iodine (brand suggested by Robb Wolf), but was worried about taking it b/c I didn’t feel like I had thyroid problems. So I’ll start taking it regularly.

Adrenal fatigue – I’d self-diagnosed this about a year and a half ago and spent all last summer working on improving cortisol levels to improve sleep. And my sleep improved and so did my level of fatigue. But I also attributed a LOT of that to taking a lot more vitamin D. I sleep all the way through the night occasionally. Commonly I wake up 1-2 times (compared to former 15+ times). And I fall asleep in about 15-30 minutes most nights, as long as I’m tired (generally I am). Before I wouldn’t get to bed until 12-1AM, and then would lay there for HOURS (which was why I procrastinated, and also why I was so tired). I’d sleep all weekend most weekends. So this has definitely improved, but I guess there are still issues. I’m not surprised to hear that.

Cortisol- Ties to adrenal glands. Also one I am not surprised by. Cortisol is why I came across adrenal fatigue initially. And is one of the biggest reasons I’ve really tried over the last year to reduce stress. My stress eating has improved as well. I no longer have the afternoon slump. And sleeping has improved. But I guess I still need help.

The pituitary gland – I had never researched this and still haven’t done much. I guess it controls hormones and is one step above thyroid and the adrenals – meaning this gland controls the adrenals and thyroid. So if it’s whacked out, those can be, too. I’ll check into this more. Hopefully this is the step I’ve been missing.

Strep and Staph – She said these are underlying things that I’ve had in the past (I used to get strep all the time as a kid, but haven’t had it since 6th or 7th grade). I can’t ever remember having a staph infection. At this point, I feel like I am most skeptical of this diagnosis. So I’ll look into that more. But want to do pituitary stuff first.

Detox Foot Bath

I didn’t realize I’d signed up for this (but it was on my appointments list, which I had a printed copy of). I PERSONALLY think these things are scams, and unnecessarily gross, and won’t be doing that again.

Emotional Release

This was the most uncomfortable thing I’ve done in a long time. I expected it to be that way. It was very weird, first of all. She used the same technique as used in the two above to diagnose the things I’m emotional about (for example, acne, being overweight, my eye, various organs, etc.). I can’t remember what I was emotional about except for acne, being overweight and heart. These all made sense as soon as she said them.

When someone says heart, I ALWAYS think of my dad and his heart disease stuff. He’s had a bypass surgery, stint and pacemaker. And all of that started when I was too young to know, and my parents tried to make sure we didn’t know it was serious so as to not traumatize us. Adults always seemed SO dramatic. Then when I got older and realized bypass surgery uses a BYPASS MACHINE and that the heart’s out of the body and the person’s pretty much dead. That freaked me the hell out. And then suddenly all of the heart stuff became very, very real. And since then, it makes me react emotionally. My dad had a stint put in about fifteen or twenty years after the bypass surgery (the doctor said this is actually considered excellent), and then a few years after that a pacemaker. All of that was very stressful. The stint came after a minor heart attack. And the pacemaker after a long run of him randomly passing out. When he’d pass out, my mom would try to stay calm, but she’d always freak out, and my parents are both so calm, that if they panic, it’s insta-panic for us as kids! Anyway, that’s TOTALLY emotional for me. Even when she asked, I started to feel a little upset.

And being overweight is emotional. I hate it for so many reasons. First, because it looks like I’m not doing anything about it. For whatever reason, that bothers me. I shouldn’t care, but it’s so hard to be trying to be so healthy and such a big percentage of the public thinks that the only marker of health is weight. So I’d love my weight to reflect a little better all the things I’m TRYING to do for myself. I also am emotional just generally because NOT losing weight has created all of this insecurity with myself. What am I doing wrong? Am I not trying hard enough? Am I lying to myself? Am a failure. All of that goes through my mind, and I’ve actually been so exhausted and frustrated with the process I’ve cried. And I’ve also been to the point I was to just quit and get really, really fat. So, yes. Lots of emotion there.

Side note: I’m NOT emotional about over-eating, according to this test. I don’t really see myself as a binge eater, although there was quite a stint where I felt like I was always hungry and eating too much and felt defeated by it. I FELT LIKE in my head I was only eating when I was hungry. But I also wonder if giving up gluten has made me feel more in control of that (I’m not hungry all the time), and therefore any emotion with eating or always being hungry is gone? Interesting.

And the third thing I was emotional about was acne. Also, totally expected. I’ve cried many, many times about this acne thing. It sucks to have adult acne. I feel like a recluse sometimes, and find myself fhiding my face. My self-esteem plummets when I have more than one pimple. So when I had six or ten or twelve, it wasn’t good. I’d try to tell myself I was doing as much as I could. But it’s embarrassing and, again, I always thought it was ME. I was doing something wrong. Not using the right products, not washing enough, not eating the right foods, etc. So, yes, VERY emotional. But only with me. If others have breakouts, I hardly notice. So, I need to realize that myself!

I wasn’t emotional about my eye. Which is true, but kind of funny since its onset is similar to the acne, but it feels less embarrassing (social stigmas are stupid!). I just say, “My eyes are bothering me.†Most people assume it’s allergies, which I guess isn’t embarrassing. Even on Saturday before, during and after the wedding, it was more of a nuisance than anything. And after the wedding when I couldn’t take it anymore, I was logical about it. Like, “Welp, the eyes are done. Better go to bed!†And I was annoyed a little, but not upset or anxious or anything. I should be like that about weight and acne! It’s just what I think my perception of others is. I guess I’ve heard enough fat and pizza face jokes that I’m carrying that with me.

So this treatment. Oh man. It was weird, even for hippie me. She pulled some stuff from this book. But she also did color therapy (I was purple). And then some wildflower thing where I was vitality and something else. And a tuning fork to release my negative energy (presumably from my aura?).

At this point, all I kept thinking of was the girl on Almost Famous who’s telling William his aura is purple while he’s trying to talk to his mom:

wp038f1314_06.png

PURPLE!

It was really hard to take seriously. I mean, if someone hit a tuning fork on a side of a doctor’s table, and asked you to repeat a weird line three times (something about forgiving myself for something with how I feel about weight), you might be like, “This is insane. Am I being videoed?†But, healing is healing is healing!

Despite my inability to take that seriously, I DO think I need to explore more emotional stuff. I tried the therapy thing once, but just didn’t find the right therapist. Or more accurately, I struggled to figure out WHAT I needed to talk about (which I’ve considered means maybe I have nothing to talk about!). So, however I get there, I need to let go of the anxiety or fear or whatever associated with silly things, like weight or acne.

Will I ever do that treatment again? Who knows? The woman who did it was really awesome. Very calming. Not at all judging. She even told me her own acne story. And she was very… Accepting or comforting saying, “I’m not saying I think this..†Haha. Listen, I know I’m overweight. And I know I’m emotional. Let’s exercise this demon!

Maybe I’ll go all eastern Chinese medicine next. After all of this, I feel like I have a new respect for alternative medicine. And if the allergy thing works, I’m all for trying ANYTHING to be healthier and happier!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Wow! I read some of it... not all. I have to confess if someone used a tuning fork on me I would probably start giggling. Will be interesting to see if it does work for the allergies! :)

On the gif thing. I am always scared to open warrior challenges because my eyes hurt from all the gifs. Mind you, it is ALWAYS an entertaining experience. 

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Took me an hour (kidding!) (mostly...), but I read through it all. I'm a little overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the list of things you react to, but it sounds like you've got a logical plan for the way you want to approach treating them. Agreed on the tuning fork thing, but even if it feels really awkward, maybe just the act of saying that stuff out loud will let you internalize it and actually let go of some of it, you know?

I'm still really intrigued by the fact that you can be allergic to vitamins & minerals, and even more so that you can be allergic to your own eye.

I'm not sure I've asked how the actual treatment process works and can't remember what Mr. Blueberries told me about when he went through it for onions. And is it the same method of treatment for each thing you treat?

Wow! I read some of it... not all. I have to confess if someone used a tuning fork on me I would probably start giggling. Will be interesting to see if it does work for the allergies! :)

On the gif thing. I am always scared to open warrior challenges because my eyes hurt from all the gifs. Mind you, it is ALWAYS an entertaining experience. 

They're so great! I hardly ever feel like a competent Warrior since I so rarely use GIFs, but I always know where to go for a good laugh.

When I first became a warrior, I was like, "I can't keep up with this!" And then somehow I got sucked in. It's like a drug. Your first time is free for a reason, because when you can't stop, you start paying for it. Bad analogy? Yeah, because Google Images is free. And now there's even an "animated" option to make searching easier. I feel like Google made that thanks to the Warrior forum. :) 

And no love lost here for not reading. I probably wouldn't either unless I had weird allergies or other things going on I couldn't diagnose. This will give a good, honest starting point for me, and we'll see how it goes. If it crashes and burns then no one else has to waste their hard-earned money! I'm fine being guinea pig. I'm at the end of my rope with this stuff! (Took me 2 years to get here.)

Took me an hour (kidding!) (mostly...), but I read through it all. I'm a little overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the list of things you react to, but it sounds like you've got a logical plan for the way you want to approach treating them. Agreed on the tuning fork thing, but even if it feels really awkward, maybe just the act of saying that stuff out loud will let you internalize it and actually let go of some of it, you know?

I'm still really intrigued by the fact that you can be allergic to vitamins & minerals, and even more so that you can be allergic to your own eye.

I'm not sure I've asked how the actual treatment process works and can't remember what Mr. Blueberries told me about when he went through it for onions. And is it the same method of treatment for each thing you treat?

They're so great! I hardly ever feel like a competent Warrior since I so rarely use GIFs, but I always know where to go for a good laugh.

I believe it on the hour! It was a lot of writing. I wrote bits at a time, so hopefully it went well and made sense!

And for things you react to, some are big reactions (digestive distress, acne, lethargy, etc.). Other things are smaller. Like maybe a muscle starts to twitch. Or your skin does something weird. Like maybe if you're allergic to something it could affect how smooth your skin is, but it's not really a big problem (like that one AI thing I have on my arms - I don't even care, although if it went away, great!). Or maybe it makes your  eyes water, or makes you slightly congested, or your ears itch (side note: drinking beer fast makes my ears itch - I always attributed it to bubbles and cold), or your eyes itch or whatever. So if you know your trigger foods, it's a LOT easier to try to test them to see what they cause. And then you can determine whether that reaction is worth treating. The only thing is, if they're causing low grade inflammation, then those can all add up over time, and that's how you get heart disease and whatnot. So having the list will also help me avoid or cut back on stuff. So that's nice, too.

I should have covered treatment!

OK, how the testing works:

Band (like a blood pressure cuff) on your forearm. You hold your arm out and push up while the technician pushes down.I think she can feel the muscle on the top of your forearm, and if it goes slack, she knows. Plus, you can't hold your arm up. At first you think, "She's just pushing harder" but there were times I'd take the tension off too early and she'd say, "Wait, do it again." And then I'd hold my arm up and she'd be like, "OK, it's fine." So, who knows.

To treat: They introduce the "toxin" (your body thinks it's a toxin) then run this thing up and down your spine while you breathe in and out. It's like a thing that vibrates and it has two prongs on it, one on each side of the spine. It feels good, actually. "Yes, let's treat however many things it takes to do that for an hour!" Anyway, it sends a signal to all of your cells that "this is x thing. It's good. You like it." So basically reprogramming the cells.You can't eat anything for 2 hours after, and are supposed to avoid whatever your'e treated for for 24 hours (longer with some food allergies, but at least 24 hours). It takes approximately a day for the communication to go across your whole body, I guess, so reintroducing it too soon can confuse the cells then some cells are sending one message while others are sending a conflicting message. Obviously, I don't know much about science! :)

Treatment is the same for all things. Some stuff you can treat together (like all the minerals). Others are separate. So each of the vitamins are a separate test. Which means it adds up money-wise. You can treat up to 2 things per day. Most things just take one treatment, but if it's a weird/bad allergy it might take more. You need at least 3 or 5 hours between. I have two treatments next week and three the week after. If they go well, it might be worth the treatment cost to do more. If they don't work, I'll just cut it off at that point and call it a failed experiment. 

My experience so far with my one treatment (all minerals):

So, doing the lean trick, last night I tested magnesium (4 hours in). Still leaning backward (which means your body doesn't like it). Sad face.

Slept last night, got up this morning, 13 hours in... Lean test. Still leaned out. Crap, this isn't going to work. I'm an exception!

Tried it around 1:00 today (almost 20 hours in). Leaned forward. I even tried to will myself backward. No luck. I'M CURED!!!!!!!! HAHAHA. OK. it seems dumb. But not reacting (acne and eye) is huge first of all. But beyond that, actually absorbing magnesium? I think it's going to help so many things - muscle fatigue for workouts, recovery time, sleep, regular heart rate, and probably a ton of other stuff. These are the things I notice when I don't use enough topical mag oil. 

I'll wait until tonight, probably right before bed, and will put on some mag oil. If I sleep well, we'll know it worked! 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

I also read the whole saga.

I momentarily wondered how you are still alive with that giant list of things that are bad for you, but it makes sense that some things cause hardly any reaction while others are more noticeable, even if you can't attribute it to one specific item.  I bet there's a bit of a cumulative effect as well causing strain on your body.

I was happy to see that meat, alcohol and wine were on the okay list! 

I'll be following along to see how the rest of the treatments go.  Good luck~!

I also read the whole saga.

I momentarily wondered how you are still alive with that giant list of things that are bad for you, but it makes sense that some things cause hardly any reaction while others are more noticeable, even if you can't attribute it to one specific item.  I bet there's a bit of a cumulative effect as well causing strain on your body.

I was happy to see that meat, alcohol and wine were on the okay list! 

I'll be following along to see how the rest of the treatments go.  Good luck~!

HAHAHAHA I loled. at both. So, I had to quote.

I would have started giggling about the fork, too. And probably the aura... though I kind of want to know what color my aura is hahaha do I even believe in aura?  Oy, my head hurts. I don't even KNOW!  But wow. This is intense. 

And side note: did I ever tell you that I had an arm thing that's gone away since I started AIP? I didn't even realize it was a thing (though I was always kind of self conscious about it) until the other day when I realized it was gone.  Anyhow.... don't die. Or eat McDonald's :P

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines