Strawberry Squatcake - How To Survive A Wedding In One Million Traumatic Steps

Strawberry Squatcake

I also read the whole saga.

I momentarily wondered how you are still alive with that giant list of things that are bad for you, but it makes sense that some things cause hardly any reaction while others are more noticeable, even if you can't attribute it to one specific item.  I bet there's a bit of a cumulative effect as well causing strain on your body.

I was happy to see that meat, alcohol and wine were on the okay list! 

I'll be following along to see how the rest of the treatments go.  Good luck~!

I was like, "Oh thank god" with each meat/protein she went through (chicken, fish, "meat" (which is red meat, but I wonder if also pork, b/c there was no pork), and turkey were all separate). And when she did alcohol I also had a relieved sigh. I mostly drink beer, and know gluten's out.... But I wonder if my gluten-free beer has anything in it. I've noticed of the two I prefer, one treats me better (but is harder to get - isn't that always the way?). 

And I think the vitamins and minerals MIGHT be the key. Although the egg sensitivity started first and was my first real sign of weirdness (well, also not being able to lose weight, but that's not really "weird" for a lot of people). But shortly after that was when my electrolytes seemed all jacked up. I attributed it to getting really dehydrated one trip to Colorado (too much elevation change too fast, and not enough water), but it never resolved itself. And that's when I started craving things that contained tomatoes and almost had that metallic taste to it (from the acid). I finally realized that was caused by magnesium deficiency. And since I've been supplementing that............ That's REALLY where things started going haywire. SO I think I compounded everything by taking 2, 5 or sometimes 10X the daily recommended amount. At the time I thought it was like I was super-deficient and I needed to build back up before I went to the daily recommended value. 

Anyway.... Long story! HA! It's hard to trace anything back. It's all speculation and relying on my not-so-great memory! 

HAHAHAHA I loled. at both. So, I had to quote.

I would have started giggling about the fork, too. And probably the aura... though I kind of want to know what color my aura is hahaha do I even believe in aura?  Oy, my head hurts. I don't even KNOW!  But wow. This is intense. 

And side note: did I ever tell you that I had an arm thing that's gone away since I started AIP? I didn't even realize it was a thing (though I was always kind of self conscious about it) until the other day when I realized it was gone.  Anyhow.... don't die. Or eat McDonald's :tongue:

Well, she didn't say my aura was purple. The glasses were like what I needed. And purple meant "I see" so it was like I needed to see somethign? It was all so confusing. My brain wasn't connecting the dots fast enough. Red is healing. So after they do whatever color you need, they do red for healing and a separate healing pitchfork. That pushes the "negative energy" even farther away. 

I have to wonder if someone else picks up that bad energy and that's where road rage comes from?? ;)

Was the arm thing the tingly thing? It's so funny how we get used to or ignore some stuff that's probably a symptom of an issue. But there's just so much going on inside us, around us, that we're responsible for, that we're distracted by. It has to be a pretty annoying thing to really get attention. The one thing that kind of came from teh emotional stuff also was just sitting there kind of focusing on ONE THING .I think I could gain a lot from that. Even when I do yoga, I try to CLEAR my mind. But maybe now that I'm better at clearing it, I should pick some things to focus on. Thinking of positive things (I have so much to be thankful for, even at the worst, I still have been dealt a winning hand). Releasing negative thoughts (like the guy I hate from work - he's moving back near me and I want to cry). Focusing on things like nature (rain, running water, etc. is very calming to me). I never do any of that. And since I'm inside all day, I think it's easy to get swept up in stuff that doesn't matter!

Last night was a bummer.

I re-tested magnesium right before I went to bed when I was goign to put it on. I almost didnt' think about it until my heart started beating irregularly. It had done that in the afternoon and I was like, "Yes! I can do magnesium again tonight!" The three things the mag oil did was keep irregular heartbeat away, reduce muscle cramps during workouts/eliminate night charley horses, and lessen (astronomically) DOMS. All worth it. But the charley horses and irregular heartbeat are the two biggies. The charley horses keep me awake because once they start it's several times a night. And the irregular heartbeat gives me anxiety. It's like watching a scary movie: you know the scares are coming, but it still makes you jump. When my heart beats irregularly, I logically know I'm not going to die. But there's always that brief second before the brain kicks in that causes panic/anxiety. And then that feeling lingers after. And for some reason it's worse at night. Probably b/c I'm tired and less equipped to handle emotions? 

So I re-tested magnesium yesterday afternoon and it came back good. I did it a couple of times. But for whatever reason decided to test it again last night. First try, came back bad. Ugh. Then I tried calcium. Came back bad. Three times. Then went back to magnesium. Barely came back good. Maybe more neutral to slightly good. Then bad.

So frustrating!! And since I've found the testing to be almost 100% accurate, I felt defeated. 

Got a suggestion that maybe I was dehydrated, or not hydrated enough. Possible. Or that maybe being tired causes results to be skewed. VERY POSSIBLE. I was exhausted. So I went to bed. Fifteen minutes later my heart freaked out again. So I got up and sprayed some on my chest and stomach and went back to bed, praying my face wouldn't break out. (Usually I put the oil on my scalp, which is supposed to absorb easier, but it also distributes where it goes, so in my tired mind I thought, maybe if I put it closer to my heart, that'll help - since spraying directly on sore muscles helps, and it won't get to my face). This morning things are OK. I only used about 5 sprays (normally I use 20-30). I'll do more tonight and see how it goes. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Welp, had a decent weekend. Not a fantastic weekend by any means, but a good one. I got plenty of sleep (although then I couldn't sleep last night, so I feel like I'm starting the week at a deficit). Got batch cooking done (breakfast and lunch the whole week!). Did lots of housework I never do (like cleaning the inside and out of the oven/stove and dishwasher (I actually take the oven apart and then never know how to put it back together), and tons of yard work, and bought everything I need to over-seed next weekend. I'm also working on a mini-flood project in my backyard, and actually made some progress on that. 

1. Get my AAT and Full Health Scan testing done. Develop a treatment plan. Follow as aggressively as possible to see results as quickly as possible. I'm giving myself an A for this. I had a small money-related freak out as I was scheduling appointments. But ultimately pushed through. I have a plan for at least five treatments. And at that point, I'll decide if I want/need to proceed. If I get those eight things done and they work, I think I'll be in great shape.

The mineral stuff, especially magnesium, seems to have worked. I've been reintroducing very skeptically. But so far, so good! I put it on my head for the first time last night. The last 3 times I put it on my head I got a small breakout. So, I am skeptically optimistic. Although moving closer to optimistic. 

I'm also toying with some gland-related supplements (pituitary, adrenal and thyroid). I might just take the plunge for a month's supply and see if I feel any better. I don't feel terrible. But just like with wheat and the low-grade anxiety, I wonder if I'll improve in areas I don't know I need improving. And if I don't, then at least I won't be sitting around wondering. 

2. Until I get treatment for my known trigger foods (eggs, dairy, tomatoes, peppers and wheat) – keep avoiding those foods. I'm giving myself a C on this. I got unintentionally contaminated with peppers this week. So at least I still know those are a trigger. 

My allergy test came back and said tomatoes and potatoes are OK. I've pretty much reintroduced potatoes, but am avoiding tomatoes for some leaky gut reasons (even though allergy test says I DON'T have leaky gut??). I'm still avoiding wheat, but being a little less intense about it. And I'm still avoiding creamy dairy (sour cream, ice cream, milk, etc.), mostly out of fear, and I like those foods much less than cheese. I've totally reintroduced cheese with no ill effects (I actually suspect what I thought was dairy causing the issues, was magnesium). 

At this point, I'm only forcing strict avoidance on peppers and eggs. I'll probably continue to avoid creamier dairy foods until I treat for dairy. And I'll eat wheat and tomatoes minimally. Those are easy enough to do without any fallout. 

3. Stay up on the housework. I conquered this goal this weekend. During the week wasn't as great. Although I did far more than 10 minutes per day total. So I'll give myself a B. My house is actually clean enough my stress level is in a good place, which is ultimately the goal. 

Overall, this week, I give myself a B.  

The goals this week are: 

1. Get to all of my allergy appointments
  2. No eggs or peppers.
  3. Put one load of laundry away, clean all three toilets, clean the counters/sink in the bathroom I use, vacuum
  4. Put more dirt in the backyard - If I do a little each night it won't be as overwhelming.  
  5. Get to hot yoga once
  6. Lift once
  7. This weekend: Over-seed the yard 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Well, it helped the tingles, too... but this was little bumps.  I had them allll over my upper arms. I really forgot about it until recently.. but at my first appointment with Paleo Doc she felt them and said, "have your arms always been this bumpy?"  But now... not so much. Very cool.

Sounds like the testing is going well! So exciting you may be able to eat more things.  woot woot!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Right now I have a headache. But, I'm starting to suspect it's my hair - too long, need to cut. (How did I ever have long hair?!) And my throat is scratchy, which is annoying. But I'm still getting over that cough from my weird long sickness AND I was outside all day yesterday, so could be allergies. 

I'll have to keep testing. 

So far the mag oil on the head hasn't bothered me. Before it would cause really small breakouts on my face and my wonky eye to wonk out. It's possible I haven't used enough (I'm still using pretty conservatively). Today I took one oral magnesium supplement (normally I'd take two at a time). The last time I took two, I had a breakout within four hours. I took the one this morning and so far it's OK.

I'll keep using both in an increasingly aggressive manner and see what happens. I don't FEEL any different (although my muscles aren't cramping or anything, so that's good). And I haven't messed with the other minerals I was having issues with. The ones I remember are calcium and iron. Although I think there were like five or six total, including magnesium. One or two were fluoride/fluorine. But I think my toothpaste has fluoride in it. So I'm not sure what to do with that. 

My next treatment is Wednesday. I think I've decided to do vitamin C first. 

The Bs help with metabolism, so that's certainly tempting. And vitamin A helps with skin and hair and immune system. But vitamin C keeps A & E from "oxidizing" which sounds scary. So I figured C first. And then Friday I get a second one. Might do A for that one. And do B next week. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Yesterday was a rough day with feeling crappy. Not sure what was causing it. I wasn't supremely stressed (that tends to cause me to feel like crap very rapidly). I stopped by the home improvement store on the way home from work with all intentions of doing some yard work. Didn't happen before it got dark. I ended up crawling in bed. Everything hurt. My head, my hair, my joints, my teeth. Part of me thought maybe allergies but I wasn't itchy or sneezy or anything. And part of me thought maybe I was getting sick. I laid in bed for about 2 hours then finally slept for like half an hour. Got up and succumbed to the ibuprofen, which I try to avoid. I got up and made this:

tumblr_mtmswcezbZ1rld3goo1_500.jpg

I put them in a brine for 30 minutes (.75 quarts of water + 1 1/2 Tbs salt) while I made a baste:

• 1 tsp anchovy paste (I made my own paste - I couldn't find paste at two stores)
  • 1 Tbs lard (the recipe called for vegetable oil, so probably any type of oil or fat would work)
  • 1 1/2 tsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp pepper 
  • a pinch of salt (I felt like it needed salt - but I did rinse my anchovies thinking they'd be too salty) 

I rinsed and patted dry the chops, then basted. 

I put them on a hot grill that was preheated to high and grilled one side for about 4 minutes (rotating a half turn after 2 minutes, but clearly my grill marks weren't as fantastic as I'd like). Then flipped and cooked probably another 4ish minutes on the other side (until they reached 140 degrees). Put them under aluminum foil for fifteen minutes. And devoured. Well, it was late, so I only ate one of the two. 

They were pretty dang good! I personally couldn't taste the anchovies, even when I tried to taste them.

I am starting to think brine is required with pork steaks/roasts/hams (uncured ham). 

When I went back to bed I took a Benadryl, and slept OK. Woke up super-tired. And took an allergy pill. Hopefully today goes better. I HAVE to get that dirt down tonight so I can run my sprinklers. I can't run them too close to over-seeding. So much to do! So little time! 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

I can't believe I'm going to say this of anchovy anything.. but YUM. that sounds/ looks delish. 

Sorry about the ick feeling. Hope it's better today!

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

I'll see if the leftovers are worth anything. If they're not, I'll ditch the recipe. I always have leftovers for another meal. 

Beyond Bacon has a stuffed chop I want to try, but I had mine sliced a little thinner (for whatever reason when I buy thicker chops, they seem to get dry easier to me, but I'm sure it's just lack of grilling experience and I would have made it over the learning curve - NEXT PIG!).

Anyway, I feel like my chops are to thin to slice and stuff. But I think I might give it a shot next time. If I can put fish on pork chops, I can stuff a thin chop. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Second allergy treatment today!

First, she retested me for the minerals she treated me for last week. Everything's allegedly A-OK with that. I've been using magnesium skeptically. Last night I used as much as normal on my head before my shower. But only left it on for 10 minutes instead of 20-30. Sigh. It's hard when you know something has caused you problems. Last night I also took 2 (one dose is 4) full spectrum mineral supplements. Nothing negative from that. I probably need to go all-in already. Stop being afraid of the breakouts. My face actually looks the best it's looked since the "what's causing me to breakout now?" fiasco that started this summer. It gets somewhat better then way worse. And my use of mag oil definitely coincided with the "way worse." And probably peaked on days I used it. 

Today I treated for Vitamin B. I asked her if she had an opinion (between vitamins A, B and C), she said the computer could tell me if I didn't have a preference! Hell, I'm already all-in on this computer fixing my life thing. After she did a general treatment, it left me with B-6, B-12 and biotin. Not sure if that means they were the biggest issues or what? Allegedly all of the problems are fixed. So I can start supplementing with it in 24 hours. And she'll retest on Friday when I have another treatment. I'll probably let the computer tell me whether to do A or C next. Then do the remaining one next week. After that, on to foods! YAY! 

Did a lot of yard work last night in lieu of a workout. Moved 500 pounds of dirt to my backyard and side of my house. Then lost a battle with a sprinkler head.

Tonight's hot yoga! 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Probably just a fluke/not related to the allergy treatment, but last night I felt fantastic. I suppose it could have to do with finally absorbing and using magnesium? Anyway, I had tons of energy. I worked in the yard for awhile. Did a little bit of cleaning, then went off to yoga. I wasn't limited by any type of fatigue at all (but a little bit by strength/flexibility). We did a TON of chaturanga pose practice, and that definitely wears on my triceps. But I got a good sweat in. Felt great afer class. And when I finally fell asleep (around midnight) I slept the whole night. It's a later class so I don't get home until nine and am always starving. So I eat. And then I need to shower. And then I need to dry my hair. It's a whole fiasco. So by the time I get to bed it's after 11. 

The point is, my energy was great, despite a stressful day at work. Yay!

I got treatment for vitamin B yesterday, then like an idiot took a supplement that had vitamin B in it. It was only one of up to six pills you can take per day. And if I took three pills it would be 60% of my vitamin B. So not like anything outrageous or anything. I'm hoping it wasn't enough to screw anything up and the treatment still holds. What a waste of $110 if not, just for being a flake. 

I got my pituitary, adrenal and thyroid supplements yesterday (the adrenal one had the vitamin B in it). You're supposed to chew them. Ugh. They're gross. But I'm trying to do it. The supplements got a lot of good reviews on Amazon, but then if you search other places on the web, they're called a scam. That's not unlike AAT treatment, so I'm trying to go in with an open mind and if it doesn't work, learn from it and move on. This is the protocol I'm following (I'll start the adrenal stuff tonight, when I'm 24 hours into the B treatment and can start supplementing).

I also intend to take a B supplement tomorrow. This supplement I have always makes me nauseous. So I'll be interested to see if that still happens. If not, I'll be so surprised. And if it does, I realize it could be because of a filler. 

I'm contemplating changing course with tomorrow's treatment and doing the skin stuff. Every time I go to yoga I start to stress I'm going to breakout, and have even started getting some chest/back breakouts, which I never get. I wonder if the skin treatment would help with stuff like that. I hate that I worry after workouts about breakouts. It's such a vain thing to be concerned with. My face, on the other hand, looks good so far! I usually get one breakout on my face after hot yoga. So I'm hoping that doesn't happen. 

That's all that's new with me! 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Are you going to be a superhero when all of these treatments are finished?  Answer.  Yes.  

tumblr_mr28vlrD5O1s2pob6o1_500.gif

I hope so. I'll admit, I'm STILL skeptical. I had very little time to confirm magnesium was causing my face to break out before I treated for it. But I'd say I'm 80% sure it was an issue. And vitamin B, I had no reason to suspect it. Still don't.

So once I get all of the vitamins and minerals treated, peppers will be the real test. I'm SO sensitive to them. Like two bites of guac and I break out (I can eat every single other thing in guac with no negative response). And I got accidentally contaminated by chilis on a burger (just in the cheese, so not that many peppers) and had a breakout within four or five hours. I originally foudn the issue with peppers from green peppers. So all different kinds of peppers. And all an issue. If I can eat them freely, I'll be a believer. 

And a superhero!! 

Until then: 60% skeptical, 40% believer. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Peppers = kryptonite.  Except people don't make food out of kryptonite, which means your weakness trumps superman's weakness.  So if my logic is correct, then you are more powerful than superman.  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Peppers = kryptonite.  Except people don't make food out of kryptonite, which means your weakness trumps superman's weakness.  So if my logic is correct, then you are more powerful than superman.  

YES! Now, I need to learn how to fly... Or see people's real thoughts. Or, sleep through barking dogs. 

It will be really interesting to see what happens with the peppers, since they give a rapid and very noticeable response.  Staying tuned!

I know. I'm SO EXCITED! And a little ready to be let down. :)

OK, so I'm having an issue with SOMETHING. I think it's this paleo sausage stuffing I made. It came from the Beyond Bacon book. My instinct is to assume the issue is almond flour. But nuts came back on my allergy test as fine. I avoid nuts mostly (started b/c of paleo AIP and b/c they're so calorie dense, but now do it out of habit and don't miss them - I very rarely get a bag of almonds from our vending machine). 

Anyway, this stuffing has in it:

Plain ground pork with seasonings - fennel, sage, salt, pepper and I think cardamom (it was one I hardly use, but it was like 1/2 tsp)

Garlic, onions, carrots, celery - sauted in lard - no seasonings

Apples (no peel)

The topping is almond flour and chopped walnuts cut with lard (to make a crumbly topping)

And for kicks I brought some extra plain ground beef I'd made (salt, pepper, onions) that I mix in for more protein.

SOMETHING in that mix is making my stomach upset. All three times I've had it, in an hour my stomach starts grumbling and rolling and is generally upset. 

What's everyone think? Most likely culprit is the almond flour or walnuts - probably the almond flour since it's processed? I don't eat a ton of lard, but I have cooked in it with no negative reactions. 

It's only digestive distress, which isn't terrible. And I'm not running to the bathroom or anything, just rumbly, upset stomach. Not even gassy feeling. Just bubbly gut-like. (It reminds me of what gluten used to do to me on occasion when I ate a lot of it. Not always a super-negative reaction like diarrhea, but enough that you don't want to stray too far from home, just in case.) 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

How old is your almond flour and do you keep it refrigerated?  

Oh man. Six months... Maybe nine. I bought a very small bag and rarely use it. And no, it's not refrigerated. 

I might be jumping to conclusions, but what you're saying is I've poisoned myself?! It doesn't taste bad, but now I feel stupid for not considering it needs to be refrigerated! 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Oh man. Six months... Maybe nine. I bought a very small bag and rarely use it. And no, it's not refrigerated. 

I might be jumping to conclusions, but what you're saying is I've poisoned myself?! It doesn't taste bad, but now I feel stupid for not considering it needs to be refrigerated! 

Honestly I don't know.  I just know that the fat in the almond flour can go rancid, I have no idea how long that takes or what the consequences would be.  But it could be a possibility since you are having problems. 

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Oh man, beyond that (tried to google how long it's good, then came up with this - not the prettiest site), it looks like consumption of much almond flour isn't good news. Dang it. I bet even if the flour's not bad, it could be the sheer consumption of it. On top of it - heating it wasn't good (I'm not even sure what I've ever used this for before, but I don't think I've ever baked with it). 

There's not really an easy way to get the almond flour out of the dish all together (I only have one serving left), so I might just dump it. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Oh man, beyond that (tried to google how long it's good, then came up with this - not the prettiest site), it looks like consumption of much almond flour isn't good news. Dang it. I bet even if the flour's not bad, it could be the sheer consumption of it. On top of it - heating it wasn't good (I'm not even sure what I've ever used this for before, but I don't think I've ever baked with it). 

There's not really an easy way to get the almond flour out of the dish all together (I only have one serving left), so I might just dump it. 

Send it to me, I'll finish it for you.   

I use almond flour in my paleo meatloaf just as a binder and to absorb a little of the moisture as well, that's the only recipe I use it in often.  It seems like most of the recipes I've seen only call for 1/4 cup or something, I don't do a lot of paleo baked goods though, so maybe that's the issue.  

Look at us being problem solvers.  It's because we're twins.  (I haven't come up with a back story about why we're twins andnobody realized it, but I think Nazis kidnapped us in WWII or something)

That's really the only place I've used mine (meatloaf, and one time I had a huge fail with meatballs). I am not a big baked goods person. Although I know I'll be getitng a craving for some spice oatmeal cookies this fall. That's waht I bought coconut flour for. :) Planned WAAAAAY ahead. 

Yes, work on that back story. I can't wait to tell it unconvincingly. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

It will be really interesting to see what happens with the peppers, since they give a rapid and very noticeable response.  Staying tuned!

It's like a mini-series, right? "What happens next? Will Squatcake find out that magnesium's been cheating on her with Vitamin C? Who really killed the peppers? Was it... DUN DUN DUN..... gluten?! Tune in next time to find out."

Honestly I don't know.  I just know that the fat in the almond flour can go rancid, I have no idea how long that takes or what the consequences would be.  But it could be a possibility since you are having problems. 

This is a really good thought. ehh... that sounds weird. Meaning: very possible.  Way to think outside the box!

Send it to me, I'll finish it for you.   

I use almond flour in my paleo meatloaf just as a binder and to absorb a little of the moisture as well, that's the only recipe I use it in often.  It seems like most of the recipes I've seen only call for 1/4 cup or something, I don't do a lot of paleo baked goods though, so maybe that's the issue.  

Look at us being problem solvers.  It's because we're twins.  (I haven't come up with a back story about why we're twins andnobody realized it, but I think Nazis kidnapped us in WWII or something)

Obviously that's what happened.... those freakin' Nazis, man...

I've baked with it a couple times... the one time i made those chocolate chip cookies they were almond flour. Most of the baked goods I make use coconut flour.  My body definitely didn't appreciate the high quantity of sugar, nuts, or ghee haha so who knows...

It's like a mini-series, right? "What happens next? Will Squatcake find out that magnesium's been cheating on her with Vitamin C? Who really killed the peppers? Was it... DUN DUN DUN..... gluten?! Tune in next time to find out."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Omigawd. I'm dying!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines