Strawberry Squatcake - How To Survive A Wedding In One Million Traumatic Steps

Strawberry Squatcake

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! :( :( :(

Oh no!  Aw, SS, that blows.  I'm sorry!!

Yay!

And then not-so-yay. Ugh!

tumblr_m1pl69N19a1qf0kb5o1_400.gif

stupid peppers

STUPID PEPPERS! Why you gotta treat me this way?! 

Anyway, I've decided to stop chasing the food autoimmune responses until after my sister's wedding. Or maybe at all. I haven't decided what I'll treat next. But the other things taht weren't AI response foods seem to be working. Especially magnesium and sweat glands. Well, and I guess vitamin B, which had been making me have an upset stomach. I'll see what she says. I suspect she'll say, 'It's something else in peppers" and suggest we approach it another way. But she also didnt' seem to versed in AI-related stuff. So it seemed  more like trial and error to me. At this point, not eating peppers is really inconvenient when I'm eating out, but otherwise have adjusted to not eating them. Same with eggs. I'll just treat these like real-life allergies, and accept that my body doesn't like them. 

Alright, so where did I leave off? On Tuesday I did four sets of stairs. And then we ended up getting done with training a day early (well, really a half day early, but meant we left Wednesday night instead of Thursday afternoon). So I didn't get to conquer my goal of 30 flights of stairs. Oh well. It was nice to get home early. And I worked a half day from home yesterday. That meant I got to cook (yay!) and got in a workout (double-yay!).

I ended up smoking a beef arm roast. It didn't turn out fantastic. I felt like it was over-cooked. Or, maybe more specifically, should have been cooked in a crockpot with liquid. Next time I'll know. It wasn't inedible. Just not fantastic. I hate it when that happens. 

And for my workout I did kickboxing. Good cardio-based workout and my upper body seems a little sore today. I suspect from the motion of the punches, which isn't an everyday thing for me since I've given up street fighting. Hahaha. KIdding!

Oh! And I have been toying with this for a long time, but have been afraid to get into too high of doses of vitamin D. At some point, I think it was when I allegedly had walking pneumonia, I decided to try the whole "healing while you sleep" approach with vitamin D, taking all of my daily dose before I went to bed at night. Strangely, I saw improvement in my face, so I started taking vitamin D every night before bed. And once the chiro told me, "You should have no issue taking 10K IUs of vitamin D, it's possible you need even more," I started taking 10K every night, and 5K in the morning. 

First, let me say, these breakouts aren't like normal pimples - they're kind of like cystic acne. That's how I knew somethign different was going on when the AI responses started. Anyway, they start out as this really sharp pain in my face wherever the pimple is eventually going to be. So it hurts and burns. And after a few hours, I can start to feel this hard bump under my skin. This goes on for a day or two, then eventually the bump surfaces to a horrible, huge bump that isn't like a pimple with a head taht most people pop. It sometimes looks like it has a head, but these can't be popped. And they last for weeks or months. In the worst stages they can't even be covered with concealor. So.... on Monday as soon as I felt the pain, I took 15K IUs vitamin D. I was limited b/c I was traveling and just had my M-Sun pill cases which had 10K IUs per day. On Tuesday I could still feel the bump and it hurt, but it wasn't coming to the surface. I took 5K IUs that morning. Throughout the day, I could feel and see it coming more to the surface and feeling inflammed. At the end of the day I took 15K more IUs. And the next morning it looked considerably better. Through the day it got worse... So, once I got home Wed, I took 20K IUs before bed. And then took 10K IUs throughout the day yesterday (5K two different times). It's almost like my body needs a constant stream of vitamin D. So, I suspect I'm REALLY deficient, but am not sure how to approach. All I know is no more peppers or eggs until after my sister's wedding. That stress was unnecessary.

And I'll keep doing the vitamin D thing, and watching for toxicity signs. Although I also keep reading that it's very unlikely. Especially since I'm seeing such good response from use. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Awww... boo peppers, sounds like a good plan to wait until after the wedding to fiddle more though.

The allergy lady looked at me like I was crazy when I said I'm not eating peppers again until after the wedding. Lady! This is what we've trained for. This isn't a test! Wedding pictures (usually) last forever! :) Plus, first formal family pictures since my last sister got married nine years ago. So I don't want to hate them. :)

Related: my face looks the best it has in a year! I think it's a combo of finally absorbing vitamin A, which is good for the face, not reacting to magnesium, taking more vitamin D, and the sweat and sebaceous gland treatments. Too bad I couldn't get to where I drop a few pounds befor the wedding. But, I'm trying to not be so critical. Can't have it all. And a healed face hopefully means the insides are getting a hint and getting their poop in a group, too! :)

I've been doing mostly endurance lifting, but yesterday I decided to do heavier squats for lower reps. So I did 5x5 at 95 pounds, and it felt pretty easy! I ended up alternating squats with some upper body stuff with dumbbells (bench, pec flies, OHP, tricep overhead, bro curls (I can use 20lb dumbbells -I felt brotastic!), and rows). It was kind of a good setup for me, and I think it reduced rest between sets.

I'm not very sore today and am off work, so I'll probably get a different workout in, and maybe hot yoga tonight!

So, weekly recap:

AAT treatments - Going strong! Grade: A

Food: No peppers or eggs at all. Even avoiding trace stuff. For example, i don't eat much mayo, but since it has eggs, I make sure to not get it on anything. I don't usually do ranch dressing, but occasionally would splurge and get it on a salad, but no more. I avoid anything that might have peppers, like BBQ sauce. Anything with any kind of any sauce. It's likely making me eat healthier, so not such a bad deal. :) Grade: A

Cleaning: my house actually looks pretty awesome. One load of laundry I'm getting ready to fold. Grade: A

And even though working out isn't in my challenge, it's sort of something I grade anyway. I'm giving myself a B for the last week. Lots of workouts, not enough yoga or stretching,

And eating is also something I grade on the side every week. I'll give myself a C+. Avoiding the bad foods for my face/AI- stuff. But, I have had more wheat stuff than I'd like. But I have food made for this week, so hopefully it's a good week!

Overall last week: B. I'm pleased!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

My brain hasn't exactly caught up this morning, but I'm pretty sure good things are happening in that post.  So I will be excited for you.  

RqqMt.gif

Yes, I'm focusing on rambling less! :)

Last night I decided I hadn't had liver in forever (I'm finally out of the huge portion of liver pate I made a few months ago). I usually put 1/4-1/2c of the pate in a pound of ground beef. And I was OK with eating that with just seasonings. So I got cocky. Last night I pureed some liver (3 oz) and added it to a pound of ground beef, a pound of bacon (yes, seriously) and 2 onions. And I couldn't get over the liver taste. I tried all the tricks. OK, I have one trick: nutmeg. But also more black pepper, making sure there was enough salt, and lots of AIP-approved seasonings. Just could not get over the liver flavor. I finally caved and pulled about 2 oz of Kerrygold Irish Cheese out of the freezer, chopped it up and added it to the pan. I hope when I reheat today it's edible. I'm definitely dreading eating it. 

I'm not a person who can force myself to eat something that doesn't taste good, I just procrastinate until it goes bad in the fridge. I learned to like vegetables by pairing a very small bite of a veggie I didn't like with a big bite of something I did. Or by covering in cheese, or whatever. My goal then was to learn to eat veggies. And now I eat most veggies without much seasoning. So I'm trying to approach this the same way. Surely there's a break even point where I don't feel overwhelmed with the taste. I keep telling myself ANY amount of liver is better than no liver.

Next time: 1 oz liver to 1 pound ground beef. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

So interesting about the vitamin D seeming to help mitigate the breakouts. I'm glad that you may have found something to help a little bit, although I am surprised by what a high dose it takes. Is it possible that maybe you're not absorbing D well because of a sensitivity to something else? Or maybe you weren't absorbing D well but now are because of something you've already treated? I remember reading that some people who are deficient need high doses to get their levels up, and then they scale back to keep it steady and avoid toxicity.

I honestly think I'm just deficient, and have been for a long time. I started taking vitamin D 2 years ago at the recommended 2K IU dose. Then my doc said I could take more (she wasn't clear and I didn't ask specifics), so I started taking 5K IU dose. Then PH said she was taking 10K IU per day. And I started taking that and asked my doctor. She said, "Well, 2K is the recommended dosage, but most people are deficient. If you're not getting sun, 10K is probably OK. Cut back to less than that if you're out in the sun in the summer." So then I cut back to 5K this summer. But recently went back to 10K. I feel better with 10K. So I told my chiro that and she said, "It sounds like you're likely VERY deficient. 10K won't hurt you. If you are deficient we'd be giving you a much, much higher dose than that. We can test you or you can keep taking 10 or even try 20K IUs." 

My mom's friend had vitamin D deficiency and she said she was taking 150K IUs per week (3 50K doses). And she was on that for two or three months and ran out of the prescription and the doctor said she could buy over the counter and dose the same way if she wanted, rather than getting a prescription.  

Now that my only active breakout is this little tiny thing on my jaw line (I think a truly hormone-related breakout, and it's so small it hardly counts!), I'm cutting back to 10K at night, and 5K in the late morning/early afternoon. (I was taking 25-30K IUs for a week or so.)

I read that toxicity for an average person has to be pretty high dosages. One thing I read said 40K IU every day for over a month before you have to start to worry. Another said that dose for 3 months, and only if you're NOT deficient, which is very rare. 

In a perfect world, I'd get tested for deficiency. But for now, I'm going to keep doing what seems to be working. I've looked up the signs of toxicity - super-thirsty, light-headedness, diarrhea or constipation (haha, it's funny when it's both directions), weight loss (haha, as if), abdominal pain and muscle weakness. 

Almost everything I read said even if you do start to show the symptoms, it's not usually going to be lethal or anything. So I'll keep an eye out for light headedness and super-thirsty, as I have neither of those now unless I'm not drinking enough water or am sick. So they'll be easy enough signs to watch for. And once I get those signs or feel like I'm getting enough for other reasons, I'll taper back to 5K again. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

What a crazy week! But whose life ISN'T crazy, right? So I won't bore you with my self-pitying story. I'll just say, we're in the home stretch. Wedding is this weekend! I'm SO READY for it to be here (and sadly, over, but I'm not a huge weddings fan). My face actually looks fantastic! So I should be happy enough with that. Unfortunately, every picture taken of me makes me want to cringe or cry or both. I keep trying to tell myself it's a journey and I could starve myself (maybe?) to lose the weight quickly, but then I'd just gain it back and be in worse shape. Where I stand now, I'm still about 40 pounds over what I want to be, but I feel pretty good, my face is finally clear with very little intervention (mostly just vitamin D - I'm not even using harsh chemicals to wash it - just coconut oil alone or in a scrub and then after vitamins B, E and C - along with a lotion with vitamin E, coconut oil and shea butter). So, I SHOULD be happy about that. And I am. But, blah. I really thought I'd lose SOME weight.

This week, I'm focusing on strict paleo, lower-carb so I can at least keep the bloat down (mostly in my face, when I cheat with sugar or wheat or drink alcohol or whatever, I notice it mostly in my face). If I can make it through formal pictures, then I'll allow myself to splurge on some drinks in celebration at the reception and dance (it's likely I'll take my own gluten-free beer, but still, the alcohol and carbs bloat me). 

So, this weekend, I battled with the meats. I made a roast. It was a small roast - I feel like around 3ish pounds. I put it in the crockpot. Normally it takes about 6-8 hours on a combo of low and high (I do high at first since I put it in frozen). But this roast took twelve hours. At one point I was worried I'd over-cooked it (it's grass-fed beef, which is generally more lean and sometimes cooks a bit differently). It was so tough and dry and frustrating. But I let it go another four hours, and it was fantastic. Meat win!

AND I made liver pills. The first time I made liver, I made pate, and actually liked it. Only I wanted it on crackers. Or smething salty and crispy. (Veggies weren't cutting it.) I eventually froze it in 1/4c portions, and started adding it to things like pasta sauce. But since then, all of my liver attempts have been huge fails. I can't bring myself to do the frozen liver cubes - I know people say freezing the liver kills the bacteria, but I can't fiure out how that's true for liver, but not for any other meat. So I can't bring myself to do it. I don't throw up, and am afraid food poisoning would win that battle. :) 

So, instead, I researched making my own liver capsules. I saw a few different suggestions on how to cook, including one to cook at 105 degrees. But I figured if I'm going for food safety, I'd just do it the safe way. When I cook liver into food, even though the food tastes terrible, I'm definitely cooking the liver over 105 degrees. So if that were working, and I enjoyed the liver I'd be eating it and allegedly reaping the rewards. So I may as well heat the liver to a safe temp (160 degrees, according to a few sources) for my capsules. 

I contemplated putting it in my smoker (which goes from 100-250 degrees), but decided to just put it in my oven (lowest temp 170). It only took about 4 hours for my super-thin slices of liver to snap in half like really thin glass, but the house didn't smell fantastic. Next time it'll go in the smoker! 

Then I put the dried liver in my food processor. And then transferred it to my spice grinder. And then used my capsule machine to fill them.

tumblr_mv0wseATvT1rld3goo1_400.jpg

Sorry about the crappy image, but a few people asked me how they work, and this is the best I could find. 

Anyway, it made 84 capsules. And I had between 7-8 oz liver. That's 6 pills a day for 2 weeks. I'm taking two pills, three times a day. I had a terrible time falling asleep last night, so maybe I have this weird burst of energy people claim to have when they get a good amount of liver in their lives.

Or it was a fluke. :)

Other than that, I walked every single day last week. Lifted twice. I did a small amount of mobility and got a massage, but didn't do any yoga. Fail. My food's been pretty good (especially AIP stuff, as is shown by my improved face). My house is relatively clean. Considering how busy the week and weekend were, I think I did pretty well. Didn't clean every single day for 10 minutes, but definitely got 70 minutes total of cleaning in. 

Now, on to the final week. I'm about to rock this! 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

It's the final countdown! (ner nerrrrrrrrr ner ner nerrrrrr <--that's supposed to be Europe's music, just fyi)

Yay for liver capsules!  I've been doing the liver pills and haven't gotten sick, fwiw.  BUT yay for the pill! I've thought about that, too.

And Yay for your face looking good!  IIRC, last time you ate so little you were always hungry you didn't lose any weight. Well.. maybe like a pound or two over the course of the month? Right? Something like that?  Anyhow, not worth it in the week.  I think your lower carb paleo plan for low bloat is excellent.

FINAL COUNTDOWN!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

It's the final countdown! (ner nerrrrrrrrr ner ner nerrrrrr <--that's supposed to be Europe's music, just fyi)

Yay for liver capsules!  I've been doing the liver pills and haven't gotten sick, fwiw.  BUT yay for the pill! I've thought about that, too.

And Yay for your face looking good!  IIRC, last time you ate so little you were always hungry you didn't lose any weight. Well.. maybe like a pound or two over the course of the month? Right? Something like that?  Anyhow, not worth it in the week.  I think your lower carb paleo plan for low bloat is excellent.

FINAL COUNTDOWN!

I know. I know a few people who do the raw liver cubes, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Part of it is mental. But mostly it's this weird "logic" thing I can't quite get past (because of my overwhelming, irrational fear of food poisoning). I realize it's harder to get sick than people say, but I just can't do it.

Of course, it's way easier than making capsules, so maybe I'll get there someday! 

Yay for feeling good and having your face clear up! Keep rocking!

Yes! Thanks!

I've been walking every single day for about three or four weeks now (since it's cooled off, I LOVE walking in cooler weather - there are less people out, and it's so calm, and I like feeling cold). I think I tweaked something in my right calf, though. It only hurts when I walk, so I'll see if it works itself out. Also did some lifting. I've been doing squats at the beginning of the workout and alternating some dumbbell work. So maybe I'll do a set of squats, then do some OHP or shoulder raises. Then another set of squats and some pushups. Then another set of squats and bro curlz and triceps. I'm not sure if this is a good plan or not. After I finished squats I did bench and alternated some straight leg deadlifts and lunges with dumbbells. I'm semi-sore today, so I guess I'll take it! 

This wedding is going to kill me (or make me stress eat). I get the feeling my sister ENJOYS the stress. That's just speculation, though. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

I approve this workout!

This wedding is going to kill me (or make me stress eat). I get the feeling my sister ENJOYS the stress. That's just speculation, though. 

Well we can't take it to court without evidence.  I've learned that from years of half paying attention to tv lawyer shows.

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

I approve this workout!

Well we can't take it to court without evidence.  I've learned that from years of half paying attention to tv lawyer shows.

Court on TV and court in real life are so different. Or at least it seems so to me. First of all, when the judge and lawyers speak privately, it really is private. How boring is that!? And they never take you into chambers. Lame.

Anyway, yes. Evidence! 

Also, last night I made this:

tumblr_mv4q8mwnsK1rld3goo1_500.jpg

I bought a pre-cut up whole chicken at the farmer's market this weekend. I was a little disappointed the parts didn't come packaged separately as I'd been told they would (up until this point I'd only bought whole chickens from them, but messaged them during the week to see if they did cut up an dhow it worked).

Anyway, that left me STILL cooking an entire chicken. But in this case, it wasn't such a bad deal. I like whole roasted chickens, but get bored with shredded chicken. This still gives me a lot of meat to work with, but all of the different parts. And delicious.

PS- If you're not brining chicken and pork before you roast/grill/cook it, you should. Thank me later. ;) 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

mmmm that chicken looks so good!  I've been too lazy to brine but I keep reading about how glorious it is.  What did you do?

Sounds like a good working out set up!  Wooo woo!

And hang tough!  You'll make it through!!! 

tumblr_lpazthHoLt1qa4ihzo1_500.gif

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

I do 1/4c salt to 4 c water. In this case I used 6c water, so 3/8 c salt.

I've read you should brine from 30 minutes to 2 hours, but have seen people say they just do 15 minutes. Usually what I do is I'll put the meat in a brine and then do the rest of my dinner prep. Or whatever else i want to do before starting dinner - last night I put some laundry away, then went tanning (I know - the beauty industry and this wedding are making me lose my moral compass! I swear I'm just trying to get rid of my tank top lines from mowing all summer.). So because of that, it ended up brining for almost an hour. When I did a brine on my fresh ham, I think that was 2-3 days. And turkeys are 2-3 days. So I'd guess if you do a whole, uncut chicken you'd want to do closer to a few hours (or maybe even while you're at work?). I DIDN'T rinse mine and it didn't seem too salty. But I think much longer and it would have.

I ended up putting some onions, smashed garlic, dried Italian seasoning and a splash of lemon juice in my brine. But you can do JUST salt water if you want. I honestly couldn't taste any of those flavors, I don't think. But they smelled good! :)

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Well damn. I might have to give this a go :) 

OH! Speaking of food and stuff that you try that inspires me....  I failed at making sauerkraut.  Can you believe that?  Some mold got on the jar I was using to push down the cabbage and I'm not sure if some of the water evaporated or what, but some of the cabbage was pushing through the top of the brine.  I didn't want to risk it.  I think I'm going to try what BBs did and use a bag of water instead.  I want the 'kraut!

Oh man. That sucks! I konw some people just scrape off the mold, but I've heard you can't see all the mold, and usually the "roots" (that's probably not the correct word) go much deeper than just the top.

I ended up buying an airlock kit. I've used this on not only kraut (and other veggies I've fermented - although, won't lie, my mouth and stomach don't like them), but they also release air for kefir water/kombucha when you do the 2nd ferment. I got two air locks in my kit. And then there are also two plastic lids.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

I've heard as long as everything sstays under the brine it's okay. So since I had it go above the level it skeeved me out.  Seriously. It's supposed to be the easiest one!

airlock might work..

Once I got the airlocks, I was like, "Why didn't I do this before?" For like $20ish, totally worth the investment. For me - but I forget about stuff.

The other thing that's supposed to be more foolproof are Fidos. But I liked taht the airlocks could fit on multiple sizes of mason jars. Rather than getitng multiple Fidos. 

I'm sure you've seen this, but if you haven't, this is what inspired me to go with an airlock. I'm not saying it's the only way, obviously. Or that mold is even bad. I mean, it's like free penicillin, right? Just kidding. I think. My dad used to say that. Anyway, she tried all kinds of ways, and has suggestions for several methods. I hate spending weeks on something an dhaving it flop. :) I should send you my sauerkraut. I don't ever eat it. (But I've heard it keeps for like a year, so I'm letting it hang out in the fridge. I AM making German sausage this weekend. So I'll eat some then.)

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Yum! I'd eat the heck out of it!  The farmer's stand I get my Kvass from (have I told y'all about that? yum!) is now selling sauerkraut. Oh.em.geee. So good. I need it in my life.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines