• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chairohkey

Shit Warriors Eat

@Rusk made me do it 

20190112_212125.jpg

Editing to add: I baked this for too long and the proving phase didn't quite happen the way it should. Still, smelled very nice and tasted even better. Taking notes on what I need to change for next time....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

@Rusk made me do it 

20190112_212125.jpg

Editing to add: I baked this for too long and the proving phase didn't quite happen the way it should. Still, smelled very nice and tasted even better. Taking notes on what I need to change for next time....

73a813b997eff01fa7431f99d7e488460893edcc

I did not take a picture, so you'll have to trust me on this, but I had a request for my Beef bibimbap recipe on my challenge thread, and thought it should be here. You're welcome.

You CAN do this in two pans if you're in a hurry and don't want to wait for the rice to cook (or want to make your crispy rice lazily) while everything else cooks. 

I'm not a traditionalist, and I don't like bean sprouts, so don't expect those or clay cookware. Grumble=Lazy Efficient

Ingredients:

Zucchini

Scallions

Ginger

Garlic

Carrots

Mushrooms (I use button because they absorb flavors better, but its mostly perosnal choice, just use medium to big shrooms, nothing dinky or they'll get lost in the meal)

sesame oil

white vinegar

soy sauce

sriracha

sugar

vinegar

ground beef

YMMV on quantitites depending on how you like your meat to veggie ratio and how much you want to use, I can give quantities I use for two people and one meal if that is better.

One pan method: Cook the rice in a large pan 10-12 inches or so until done, 15 minutes or so (Not a pot because you can't get a good saute in a pot when you get lots of food in it and a 12 inch pot is massive overkill)

While the rice cooks, cut the zucchini in half length-wsie and make half moons

Cut off the stem of the mushrooms and slice more half moons

Thin slice scallions, separating the whites and greens (I almost never use the greens because I'm not appearance focused and most of the flavor is in the whites IMO)

Peel shavings off carrots with a peeler (or a knife if you're better than me. I know you are. I believe in you)

Mix sesame oil, sriracha, sugar, and soy sauce in a small bowl (I haven't found a way to make a bibimbap sauce, spicy or otherwise, without sugar that I like the flavor of, but you can play with this. Maybe eel sauce)

Toss scallion whites with vinegar and set aside to marinate (dealers choice on what kind, I like rice, but I think ACV would add a different flavor profile, someone try it and let me know)

Mince garlic and ginger (you can combine these into one pile)

Once the rice is cooked put  it on a baking sheet to dry.

Wipe out the pan, add a drizzle of oil over medium to medium-high heat (I use gas, so lean towards the medium side of things as medium high gets too hot too quick)

Once oil is hot, add the carrots and cook, tossing occasionally until the edges crisp up, 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. (Anything I set aside I either stick in my over or microwave to help retain heat better. I will also sometimes set the oven to 150, especially if I'm one panning everything)

Repeat with zucchini and mushrooms

Add one more drizzle of oil. Heat up and add garlic and ginger and cook for about 30 seconds, or until your kitchen smells like a slice of heaven.

Add beef, breaking up into bits.

Cook, tossing occasionally until no longer pink. kick heat to high and brown the meat. Remove and set aside.

Choice 1:

You can either wipe the pan down real quick or leave the bits and let it flavor the rice.

Choice 2:

Make a patty of some of the rice, or put the whole batch batch in and flatten it out. Cook on high for about 3 minutes One will give you more rice texture variety and you can flip it for more crunchy, but the second will add a really nice crunch to just about every bit of the bibimbap and you don't have to flip anything AND it's faster. Guess which one I picked :D

Add the rice to the bowl, then the beef, then veggies, or veggies then beef, or beef and veggies mixed together. Your choice.

Top with scallion whites and sesame sauce and sriracha if you so choose)

Enjoy.

• Like 2

Next recipe. Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings!

50309868_2479171582097696_11202010951261

2 tsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Butter
1 1/2 lbs Chicken Thighs, and/or Breasts, cut in slightly larger than bite sized pieces
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp Salt (more to taste)
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/4 tsp Poultry Seasoning
4 sprigs Fresh Thyme, 2 tsp leaves (or 1 tsp dried)
1 4" sprig Fresh Rosemary, 2 tsp leaves, stripped off and minced (or 1 tsp dried & crushed)
1/2 tsp Sage, dried
1 small Onion, diced
1 cup Carrots, chopped (about 2 or 3 carrots)
1 cup Celery, chopped (2 stalks)
3 large cloves Garlic, pressed or minced (about 1 Tbsp)
1 large Potato, chopped
4 cups Chicken Broth, low sodium

Dumplings are your choice, I used bisquick because, as we've established, I'm lazy. YOu can do that, or biscuits, flatten them and cut them, almost like noodles. Or make em yourself. Your call.

Turn the pressure cooker on to the Sauté setting. When the pot is hot, add the olive oil and the butter. Then add the chicken in one layer and let cook a few minutes on one side. Then stir and cook a few more minutes, until there is just a bit of pink still visible.
Add the bay leaf, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, thyme, rosemary, and sage. Cook for a minute to let the spices bloom.
Add the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook for a few minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot to get up any brown bits (deglaze).
Add the garlic and stir, cooking about 1 minute.
Stir in the potato and the chicken broth. Put a glass lid on the pot and let the contents warm up to barely a simmer.
Add the dumplings.
Place the lid on the pot and lock in place. Turn the steam release knob to the sealing position.
Cancel the Sauté function.
Press the Pressure Cook/Manual button (or dial) and then the + or - button (or dial) to select 7 minutes.
When the cooking cycle has finished, do a Controlled Quick Release of the steam/pressure. Start by using a wooden spoon or other long handled utensil to turn the steam release knob towards Venting, and start letting the steam out gradually.
Do this several times, and back off if any of the sauce starts to spew out with the steam. Then open it all the way when you feel certain only steam will be coming out. It will take a couple of minutes to fully vent.
When the pin in the lid drops down, open the lid carefully, and stir in the frozen peas.
Stir in the heavy cream (if using) and put the glass lid on to let it sit and heat through.
Taste and adjust salt, if needed.

• Like 3

And finally. Sub 150 Cal Crème Brûlée (You can do sub 300 as well, depends on the creamy base you are using. I've made both and I like both.)

1 1/2 C greek yogurt (or heavy cream)
4 egg yolks
1/4 C maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
sugar* for topping

Whisk together all ingredients, except the sugar. Whisk until smooth and completely blended. Pour into six 4oz ramekins and cover each with a small piece of foil.
Place a trivet in the Instant Pot and pour in 1 C of water. Place the ramekins in the Instant Pot on top of the trivet– 3 on the trivet, then 3 stacked on top of the first 3 ramekins. Cover and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
When the cook time is complete, let the Instant Pot naturally release pressure for ten minutes, then manually release the remaining pressure (there won’t be much). Use a potholder to carefully remove the ramekins from the Instant Pot. Discard the foil and refrigerate the crème brûlée for at least 2 hours.
After the custard is set, take the ramekins out of the refrigerator. Sprinkle the tops of each crème brûlée with 1 teaspoon of sugar and use a kitchen torch to caramelize the sugar so that it forms a crispy, browned crust over the custard. Refrigerate or serve immediately.

• Like 3

@Grumble....did someone get a pressure cooker for christmas? Just curious case this shit looks delicious (I've got both a stove top pressure cooker and a counter top one, not instapot but its a pressure cooker).

second question...when do you plan on moving! 

Here is your new address, Mrs. G and Gimble welcome!

5!&# *o*** Street

&&*(*, TN **(**

...stupid auto protection features....LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, farflight said:

@Grumble....did someone get a pressure cooker for christmas? Just curious case this shit looks delicious (I've got both a stove top pressure cooker and a counter top one, not instapot but its a pressure cooker).

No, I've had one for a while, but another nerd did, so I decided to share both some of my fav recipes and a brand new one I finally got to try.

EDIT: The instant pot brand is my second go at a electric pressure cooker and there's a reason its the most popular. It does it job much better than my last one did.

second question...when do you plan on moving! 

Here is your new address, Mrs. G and Gimble welcome!

5!&# *o*** Street

&&*(*, TN **(**

...stupid auto protection features....LOL

Nice try. I live in So cal. You have weather. I'll pass.

10 hours ago, Grumble said:

And finally. Sub 150 Cal Crème Brûlée (You can do sub 300 as well, depends on the creamy base you are using. I've made both and I like both.)

1 1/2 C greek yogurt (or heavy cream)
4 egg yolks
1/4 C maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
sugar* for topping

Whisk together all ingredients, except the sugar. Whisk until smooth and completely blended. Pour into six 4oz ramekins and cover each with a small piece of foil.
Place a trivet in the Instant Pot and pour in 1 C of water. Place the ramekins in the Instant Pot on top of the trivet– 3 on the trivet, then 3 stacked on top of the first 3 ramekins. Cover and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
When the cook time is complete, let the Instant Pot naturally release pressure for ten minutes, then manually release the remaining pressure (there won’t be much). Use a potholder to carefully remove the ramekins from the Instant Pot. Discard the foil and refrigerate the crème brûlée for at least 2 hours.
After the custard is set, take the ramekins out of the refrigerator. Sprinkle the tops of each crème brûlée with 1 teaspoon of sugar and use a kitchen torch to caramelize the sugar so that it forms a crispy, browned crust over the custard. Refrigerate or serve immediately.

I'm going to have a go at Keto-ising this... we already have a no carb maple syrup

Behold!

20190119-194656.jpg

If you look past the vodka, you will see a little crunchy ball of excellence. This, my friends, is a wheel of Brie, crumbed with pulverised pork rinds and then baked. Keto friendly and magnificent!

15 hours ago, Blocky said:

Behold!

20190119-194656.jpg

If you look past the vodka, you will see a little crunchy ball of excellence. This, my friends, is a wheel of Brie, crumbed with pulverised pork rinds and then baked. Keto friendly and magnificent!

I'm pretending the pickles don't exist. Otherwise I see an excellent plate!

16 hours ago, Blocky said:

Behold!

20190119-194656.jpg

Why would I want to look past the vodka...?

Oh. Oooooh! Melted cheese goodness!