Hey,

$100 dollars on food for a week is actually not that bad. It's easy to do while eating paleo. Spices and flavorings can be pricey, but boy are they worth it...

I did a quick calculation, and here's what I think: If you want to spend $25/meat per week, and eat about a pound of meat a day, you'll want to buy meat that is about $3.57/lb... in other words, any sort of chicken, some types of pork, and certain ground beef is what you should target at the grocery store. Trader Joes has really good deals on chicken. Safeway or Fred Meyer will have ground meat and pork chops in your budget. Trader joes has the best deals on eggs.

Sorry if this seems like too much, but I love doing these types of calculations. I'm sure you'll find your own way of doing it that works well for you. :)

Word. That is some pretty cool nerdy math. Nice!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

I looked at teh Applegate Farms website http://www.applegate.com/products/bacon/category  All the bacons there have sugar.  Evaporated Cane Syrup is listed in all of then.

Crud, Tateman, you are right.  I looked again at the package in my freezer and it says "evaporated cane syrup."  Dang it.  It's still a step up from traditional bacon, but I will have to look into prosciutto.

As far as the bacon goes, it might help you to think about the sugar thing in terms of carbs per serving. Some bacon is mad sugary, while other bacon is going to have negligeable sugar/carbs per serving, despite listing cane sugar as an ingredient. It's up to you to determine what the threshhold is.

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

Crud, Tateman, you are right.  I looked again at the package in my freezer and it says "evaporated cane syrup."  Dang it.  It's still a step up from traditional bacon, but I will have to look into prosciutto.

As far as the bacon goes, it might help you to think about the sugar thing in terms of carbs per serving. Some bacon is mad sugary, while other bacon is going to have negligeable sugar/carbs per serving, despite listing cane sugar as an ingredient. It's up to you to determine what the threshhold is.

I think both of these comments are great. Primeval, I think you're right about finding a suitable threshold. You make a great point and help me realize that eating the sugar in a couple of strips of bacon will never equate to the amount of sugar in a piece of cake- or even the chai tea lattes I used to have from starbucks. 

I think I might just buy bacon for next week and enjoy it because it is so delicious. 

I think both of these comments are great. Primeval, I think you're right about finding a suitable threshold. You make a great point and help me realize that eating the sugar in a couple of strips of bacon will never equate to the amount of sugar in a piece of cake- or even the chai tea lattes I used to have from starbucks. 

I think I might just buy bacon for next week and enjoy it because it is so delicious. 

Costco Low Sodium Bacon

Cured with: water, salt, sodium phosphate, sodium erthorbate, sodium nitrite. Smoked with natural hard woods.

I'm happy with it so far.

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

I've been meaning to check costco.  We have a Whole Foods opening up near me too.  I will have to check them out.

Here's a good list to start with! http://thepaleomama.com/2013/02/shoppingpaleoatcostco/

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Thought of you and your paleo crusade when I was at Panera for lunch today and they had a sign about their "hidden" menu.  I got a basically carb free salad.  It did have some bacon in it...

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

I've been meaning to check costco.  We have a Whole Foods opening up near me too.  I will have to check them out.

Yeah costco is a great alternative. I have ideology conflicts with Whole Foods so I avoid going there are much as possible. Although it seems like they are the only place that carries Red Boat fish sauce- the only paleo fish sauce on the market. :-| kind of bummed about it. I might just not use the fish sauce to avoid Whole Foods- muahahahahaha!

That is a great resource! Thanks, sicil :) 

Thought of you and your paleo crusade when I was at Panera for lunch today and they had a sign about their "hidden" menu.  I got a basically carb free salad.  It did have some bacon in it...

Oooh Panera! I love that place. I like the idea of salads as an addition to a meal because it doesn't seem like I get enough protein to hold me over. Maybe I'm becoming what I eat: a little piglet :) 

Oooh Panera! I love that place. I like the idea of salads as an addition to a meal because it doesn't seem like I get enough protein to hold me over. Maybe I'm becoming what I eat: a little piglet :)

This was pretty protein intensive.  It had roasted chicken, bacon and a hardboiled egg.  The protein content in these salads ranges from 20 to 35 grams which is nothing to sneeze at.  The "dressing" is half a lemon and a packet of olive oil.

http://foodbeast.com/2013/06/10/panera-bread-has-no-idea-how-secret-menus-work-alerts-the-media/

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

This was pretty protein intensive.  It had roasted chicken, bacon and a hardboiled egg.  The protein content in these salads ranges from 20 to 35 grams which is nothing to sneeze at.  The "dressing" is half a lemon and a packet of olive oil.

http://foodbeast.com/2013/06/10/panera-bread-has-no-idea-how-secret-menus-work-alerts-the-media/

oh man! those salads look freaking delicious. 

I like that  the dressing is so simple. 

Great stuff- thanks for sharing! 

My g/f loves the apple salad at panera.  I thought the dressing was really gross though. Also, I didn't look into it but I have no clue if certain dressings are whole30- so I just stopped going to places altogether.  Only exception is the cooked chickens at whole foods.  buy 2 and they're on sale.  Went there twice while on the whole 30 because thier plain ones don't have any added garbage in it.

OMG BREAD.

I've never been into a Panera. So that is good to know to look into their salads in the future! ;)

Yeah costco is a great alternative. I have ideology conflicts with Whole Foods so I avoid going there are much as possible. Although it seems like they are the only place that carries Red Boat fish sauce- the only paleo fish sauce on the market. :-| kind of bummed about it. I might just not use the fish sauce to avoid Whole Foods- muahahahahaha!

What's the ideological stance with Whole Foods? I don't think fancy fish sauce is really high on the priority list for your whole30 budget *cough cough*...

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

OMG BREAD.

I've never been into a Panera. So that is good to know to look into their salads in the future! ;)

What's the ideological stance with Whole Foods? I don't think fancy fish sauce is really high on the priority list for your whole30 budget *cough cough*...

Yes- BREAD. I miss it. :( 

yeah- fish sauce is not top tier of importance, at all. Whole Foods is shitty. I hate how overpriced they make everything and the fact they are the only ones that carry that fish sauce, it's like a monopoly of fish sauce. What kind of crap is that??? I also think that Whole Food's cutesy nickname of Whole Paycheck is ludicrous. You shouldn't have to choose between eating well and having a home. 

Mid/Late Week check-in:

I thought I was done having the food splurge dreams then yesterday I had a super weird dream where I had also fallen to temptation, but I have no idea what the temptation was. I just remember being super anxious and being annoyed at myself for having to start the whole30 again. I woke up thankful and not-thankful that it was all a dream. I think this is the part where I want to eat everything and boy do I. 

I know a lot of people have mentioned that cravings go away and that eventually you are not attracted to the things you used to love, but is that really true? 

I think about all the beer and cake and cookies I am going to eat once this is all over. I almost feel guilty about all the plans I am making in my head. But I can't help it. It feels like that is the only thing that keeps me on track. The only thing that is keeping me from indulging now is the thought/promise that I will get to indulge in the future. 

My last two runs have not been as stellar as last week's run. I am hoping that changes. Although I am not training, it would be awesome to see the numbers drop. Maybe it's all mental? Maybe it just needs to be all METAL. 

Balls to the Wall. 

I hope everyone is having a great week!

Mid/Late Week check-in:

I thought I was done having the food splurge dreams then yesterday I had a super weird dream where I had also fallen to temptation, but I have no idea what the temptation was. I just remember being super anxious and being annoyed at myself for having to start the whole30 again. I woke up thankful and not-thankful that it was all a dream. I think this is the part where I want to eat everything and boy do I. 

I know a lot of people have mentioned that cravings go away and that eventually you are not attracted to the things you used to love, but is that really true? 

I think about all the beer and cake and cookies I am going to eat once this is all over. I almost feel guilty about all the plans I am making in my head. But I can't help it. It feels like that is the only thing that keeps me on track. The only thing that is keeping me from indulging now is the thought/promise that I will get to indulge in the future. 

My last two runs have not been as stellar as last week's run. I am hoping that changes. Although I am not training, it would be awesome to see the numbers drop. Maybe it's all mental? Maybe it just needs to be all METAL. 

Balls to the Wall. 

I hope everyone is having a great week!

Hugs. I didn't know it was still bugging you so much. As evidenced by all of your wacky dreams!

I haven't experienced any severe cravings yet, but I'm a few days behind you, so... Are there any tasty paleo recipes that would keep you on the straight and narrow but help with the cravings? Kale or sweet potato chips?

I think almost everyone thinks about 'life after Whole30' so I appreciate you being so honest! Would it help if you worked on your re-introduction plan now? If you planned out when and how you're gonna indulge in advance, and had a plan for it, maybe certain foods could be limited?

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

You can doo ittttt!

When I first went paleo, I couldn't stop dreaming about chocolate oatmeal cookies. (????????? weird because I've never eaten one before!) I figured out it was a carb withdrawl thing.

Are you struggling because you feel restricted by your diet, or are you struggling because you are craving carbs? Sometimes they are one and the same, but sometimes eating some paleo carbs like fruit, squash, or sweet potato can help. Or what about fat? Eating more fat can help, too. My pure fat of choice is coconut cream mixed with stevia, cinnamon, and a little chocolate powder, in lieu of chocolate mousse. :positive:

Maybe you could look at the whole 30 as a learning experience, and just glean what you can from it. And maybe, if you stick with it, you'll start seeing some cool health benefits that you weren't expecting. Or not, and that's useful information, too. :rolleyes-new:

Rooting for ya!

Class and Profession: Level 23 Borg Queen 

OMG BREAD.

Panera and Chipotle are my "fast foods" of choice.  Panera does have really yummy breads, sandwiches and baked goods, but I love their salads and consider them a big treat.  Most are not completely Paleo, but the "hidden" menu looks like it is.

I also love their black bean soup.  With a soup and salad You-Pick-2 meal, I think I'm eating well and healthy.  You do have to choose soups carefully.  Right now they have a really yummy squash soup on the menu too.

I have to admit I've never been in a Whole Foods.  I've heard they're insanely expensive, and I have other options like Wegman's, Trader Joe's, the local Dave's Natural Market, and local produce markets.  I've also heard they're not as careful as they should be about making clear the difference between "natural" (which has no legal meaning) and "organic" (which has a precise legal meaning in the US.)  For people who care about GMO's I've heard they're not taking a stand.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

The cravings hit hard and abruptly when doing the whole 30.  I was just pacing around the house thinking about pizza, icecream, and chinese food all wrapepd up in some sort of hate-food-fest.  I find that as soon as I wasn't giving 110% attention to things, that it would just creep up.  The physical you know that you have to ride out.  The mental stuff is a lot harder to handle.  It's the ritual of food.  Like, did you have a pizza and watch tv with friends?  You almost feel like you have to break those rituals, which is just as difficult.   Food is a part of that ritual.  So pavlovian response- food=comfort=habit.

Your body is going to be so squeaky clean, that even trying to eat all the stuff you fanatizse about can't physically happen.  I remember when I was just doing paleo for a few months- bagel thursdays became a waste of time.  2 bagels with cream cheese and a large iced vanilla chai would make my stomach hurt for almost 8 HOURS afterwards.  Compared to what I'm doing now, I was eating like a fat#$^ by just doing a mostly paleo diet.  So if today, right this second, I go and get a bagel...I'll probably throw it up.

Doesn't stop me from wanting to eat it in the back of my head.

There's a whole lot more mental stuff going on besides just breaking your rituals/habits/what makes you feel comfortable.  For me there's also elements of self-sabatoge and self-hatred.  Why do I eat junk food if I'm going to feel gross afterwards?  Why would I eat this stuff CONTINUALLY if I know for a fact that I'll feel bloated?  If I know for a fact that I'll be making a few trips to the bathroom?  If I know that I'm making myself fatter and closer to death?  Deep down, all of out vices kill us a bit- whether it's drinking and damaging our liver, smoking for lung cancer, gambling and gettingin debt, or eating.  It's because deep down, I don't think I'm worth anything and I just don't care about myself.  And it's easier to pour food, alcohol, cigs, drugs, etc, on how you feel instead of dealing with it.

I'm not saying that it's the same for everyone, but the mental challenge in this is far, FAR greater than the physical.  Your body doesn't physically want this food anymore- it's about done detoxing from it.  Your mind does.

As for an exit strategy in regards to finishing the Whole 30- I plan on just reintroducing the minimal amount of cooking ingredients so I can at least change the variety a bit more.  Like using breadcrumbs to make chicken cutlets, or having a bit of cheese on my eggs.  On halloween, I'll probably splurge a bit and have some candy, but I'm actually kind of terrified of life post-30.  I don't want to go back.  I want to keep moving forward and never slip/balloon up again.

Hugs. I didn't know it was still bugging you so much. As evidenced by all of your wacky dreams! I haven't experienced any severe cravings yet, but I'm a few days behind you, so... Are there any tasty paleo recipes that would keep you on the straight and narrow but help with the cravings? Kale or sweet potato chips? I think almost everyone thinks about 'life after Whole30' so I appreciate you being so honest! Would it help if you worked on your re-introduction plan now? If you planned out when and how you're gonna indulge in advance, and had a plan for it, maybe certain foods could be limited?

You can doo ittttt!

When I first went paleo, I couldn't stop dreaming about chocolate oatmeal cookies. (????????? weird because I've never eaten one before!) I figured out it was a carb withdrawl thing.

Are you struggling because you feel restricted by your diet, or are you struggling because you are craving carbs? Sometimes they are one and the same, but sometimes eating some paleo carbs like fruit, squash, or sweet potato can help. Or what about fat? Eating more fat can help, too. My pure fat of choice is coconut cream mixed with stevia, cinnamon, and a little chocolate powder, in lieu of chocolate mousse. :positive:

Maybe you could look at the whole 30 as a learning experience, and just glean what you can from it. And maybe, if you stick with it, you'll start seeing some cool health benefits that you weren't expecting. Or not, and that's useful information, too. :rolleyes-new:

Rooting for ya!

Thank you guys <3 

I feel weird about this- kind of conflicted and terosx made an excellent point in regards to the psychological factor of the whole 30 being harder than the actual food factor. I am conflicted because it seems silly to be going through this journey. I ask why it is so hard and logically I can't come up with a suitable answer. It technically is not hard, it is not difficult, but it is. 

Having moved to the States when I was 7 years old not knowing a lick of English taught me that I should fit in. Through my whole life all I wanted to do was just fit in and be part of the mainstream. The whole30/paleo/working out/getting healthy is fighting against that mainstream. It is pushing me to not be part of habits that kill and that is so uncomfortable. I can't see how this fits in the grand scheme of things right now and it bothers me. Usually I can say, "well, this is good because in the big picture it fits..." But how is this fitting into the big picture? I am not convinced. And it could be that I don't even know what the big picture is, or I don't want to commit to it. I'm not sure. 

Maybe I'm just afraid of the success, again and I am subconsciously trying to mess myself up. 

I hate the fact that I think about food so much.

A couple of weeks ago I shut down my profile on a dating site because I didn't think it would be fun to date right now since I can't meet up for dinner or drinks. Then a friend on facebook, who I love and respect, also posted a super negative status about how sick she was of reading about people's healthy choices and exercise and how she ate a chicken sandwich and a candy bar. I don't know. I guess I feel isolated.

I feel that way about a lot in my life. It seems like the more effort I put into bettering myself the less people want to stick around. 

It's kind of upsetting. 

On the bright side, one of the naturopaths that I work with asked me about the whole30. After the last couple of six week challenges my boss and co-workers decided they would like to do an office six week challenge that starts on October 1st. The ND that came up to me is considering doing the whole30 and asked me what I found to be the hardest part and also shared some concerns of her own. It felt pretty good to be asked my opinion and to be able to offer some insight, especially to a doctor.

I'm hoping these doubts will subside shortly, but for now this is where I am. 

The cravings hit hard and abruptly when doing the whole 30.  I was just pacing around the house thinking about pizza, icecream, and chinese food all wrapepd up in some sort of hate-food-fest.  I find that as soon as I wasn't giving 110% attention to things, that it would just creep up.  The physical you know that you have to ride out.  The mental stuff is a lot harder to handle.  It's the ritual of food.  Like, did you have a pizza and watch tv with friends?  You almost feel like you have to break those rituals, which is just as difficult.   Food is a part of that ritual.  So pavlovian response- food=comfort=habit.

Your body is going to be so squeaky clean, that even trying to eat all the stuff you fanatizse about can't physically happen.  I remember when I was just doing paleo for a few months- bagel thursdays became a waste of time.  2 bagels with cream cheese and a large iced vanilla chai would make my stomach hurt for almost 8 HOURS afterwards.  Compared to what I'm doing now, I was eating like a fat#$^ by just doing a mostly paleo diet.  So if today, right this second, I go and get a bagel...I'll probably throw it up.

Doesn't stop me from wanting to eat it in the back of my head.

There's a whole lot more mental stuff going on besides just breaking your rituals/habits/what makes you feel comfortable.  For me there's also elements of self-sabatoge and self-hatred.  Why do I eat junk food if I'm going to feel gross afterwards?  Why would I eat this stuff CONTINUALLY if I know for a fact that I'll feel bloated?  If I know for a fact that I'll be making a few trips to the bathroom?  If I know that I'm making myself fatter and closer to death?  Deep down, all of out vices kill us a bit- whether it's drinking and damaging our liver, smoking for lung cancer, gambling and gettingin debt, or eating.  It's because deep down, I don't think I'm worth anything and I just don't care about myself.  And it's easier to pour food, alcohol, cigs, drugs, etc, on how you feel instead of dealing with it.

I'm not saying that it's the same for everyone, but the mental challenge in this is far, FAR greater than the physical.  Your body doesn't physically want this food anymore- it's about done detoxing from it.  Your mind does.

As for an exit strategy in regards to finishing the Whole 30- I plan on just reintroducing the minimal amount of cooking ingredients so I can at least change the variety a bit more.  Like using breadcrumbs to make chicken cutlets, or having a bit of cheese on my eggs.  On halloween, I'll probably splurge a bit and have some candy, but I'm actually kind of terrified of life post-30.  I don't want to go back.  I want to keep moving forward and never slip/balloon up again.

This was very awesome to read, terosx. Thank you so much for posting. 

I agree with you on the self-sabotage and self-hatred point. I think a lot of the cycling thoughts about food revolve around self-worth and that is a territory that is new to me. I think that is a huge factor on why I am not seeing the big picture right now. But hopefully it will come to me. 

I have often wonder why I sabotage myself.  It still happens.  Day where I just don't feel like doing what I need to do.  I haven't given in too much food wise.  I think sometimes I am afraid of being healthier.  I've never really been there.  Even when I was in middle school I was 225 pounds.  I sometimes think things are going so good, and I am waiting for that big failure to happen.

I do my best to push that aside.  Luckily, I have had nothing but good comments from friends on facebook and such.  I have a guy at the bowling alley come check on me each week to see how I am doing.  Then high fives me.  

For food I often think about how good some things were.  Not long ago i was eating that stuff.  I just keep telling myself that i can have those things again, just not now.  I am slowly easing some things back in, but I want to make sure it doesn't effect my progress.  I don't want one cheat meal to go into two or three etc.

For me, after Whole 30 was pretty scary to me.  So I have been sticking to it pretty close still.  For now, it is working.  I am still losing weight, and I think getting stronger too.  When I see that progress, it confirms it even more that I need to stick with it the best I can.

Thank you guys <3 

I feel weird about this- kind of conflicted and terosx made an excellent point in regards to the psychological factor of the whole 30 being harder than the actual food factor. I am conflicted because it seems silly to be going through this journey. I ask why it is so hard and logically I can't come up with a suitable answer. It technically is not hard, it is not difficult, but it is. 

Having moved to the States when I was 7 years old not knowing a lick of English taught me that I should fit in. Through my whole life all I wanted to do was just fit in and be part of the mainstream. The whole30/paleo/working out/getting healthy is fighting against that mainstream. It is pushing me to not be part of habits that kill and that is so uncomfortable. I can't see how this fits in the grand scheme of things right now and it bothers me. Usually I can say, "well, this is good because in the big picture it fits..." But how is this fitting into the big picture? I am not convinced. And it could be that I don't even know what the big picture is, or I don't want to commit to it. I'm not sure. 

Maybe I'm just afraid of the success, again and I am subconsciously trying to mess myself up. 

I hate the fact that I think about food so much.

A couple of weeks ago I shut down my profile on a dating site because I didn't think it would be fun to date right now since I can't meet up for dinner or drinks. Then a friend on facebook, who I love and respect, also posted a super negative status about how sick she was of reading about people's healthy choices and exercise and how she ate a chicken sandwich and a candy bar. I don't know. I guess I feel isolated.

I feel that way about a lot in my life. It seems like the more effort I put into bettering myself the less people want to stick around. 

It's kind of upsetting. 

On the bright side, one of the naturopaths that I work with asked me about the whole30. After the last couple of six week challenges my boss and co-workers decided they would like to do an office six week challenge that starts on October 1st. The ND that came up to me is considering doing the whole30 and asked me what I found to be the hardest part and also shared some concerns of her own. It felt pretty good to be asked my opinion and to be able to offer some insight, especially to a doctor.

I'm hoping these doubts will subside shortly, but for now this is where I am. 

I think you're thinking too hard about it. Just go with the flow, believe in the process, and see what it does for you in the next few weeks. :)

Yes, I think you self-sabotage. Perhaps it dredges up feelings of self-worth from your childhood? The good thing is that you're starting to notice when you do so. So even if the feelings still come up, hopefully you'll be able to identify them as such before they have any harm on you. Checking in frequently and writing down your feelings, I think, helps.

You have friends who are posting about hating others making healthy choices. But you've also go the rest of the team, who 'obnoxiously' post about the changes they're making in their lives every day. I hope one counteracts the other. If it doesn't, then come here - you've got a whole community of people shamelessly posting about trying to get better. What better motivation is that?

People get jealous of others. That's not exactly an epiphany. Just like the feelings you have when someone else gets a promotion, or a new car or house, I think our bodies are exactly the same way. Somewhere down the line, someone thought it was okay to shame other people's behaviour. That's just sad, and insecure of them. You don't have anything to prove to anyone else but yourself. If it bugs this friend of yours so badly, then there's always the off switch in her FB notifications. I've done that to people who were mindlessly posting about FB games. Isn't that much the same thing, but much less meaningful? ;)

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

"posted a super negative status about how sick she was of reading about people's healthy choices and exercise and how she ate a chicken sandwich and a candy bar. I don't know. I guess I feel isolated.

I feel that way about a lot in my life. It seems like the more effort I put into bettering myself the less people want to stick around."

I know this is going to sound SUPER snobby, but I don't care. 

The more you try to better yourself, the more people resent you because  you have the strength that deep down, they wish THEY had.  The person that mentioned the candy bar?  Are they overweight? Eat healthy?  Are they blessed with that infinite metabolism so they always stay thin?  Well if not, they ARE the people that still drown/eat/smoke their guilt.  Standing up for yourself; taking a risk on doing something really difficult, and pushing through it all is like holding up a mirror to everyone.  "Well, if rogaecia does this, then why can't/don't  I? I'm just as good as her."  Better not to think about it and become resentful that you showed them thier reflection.  The people that are challenging themselves as well (plenty of people here on NF) will appreciate you so much more, but the people that want to wallow will secretly want you to fail and stay down there, with them.  That means they don't have to change.  That means that there is no point in changing- because see what happens to Her when she tried? It's just a waste of time *insert scoff*

The very fact that it seems this should be easy is exactly what the focus needs to be put on.  A million Dr.s can say, "oh jee, you just have to walk 30 minutes a day and lay off soda".  Is it really that easy?  No.  Not even close.  If it was that easy, everyone would do whole 30. 

You, and all of the people on here are amazing.  We've all come from different parts in our life and we've all realized that we want more out of life.  You're pushing forward.  (again-snobby alert) This makes you better than the people that never tried couch to 5k, the people that never bothered to cut back on drinking, the people that never wanted; no, DEMANDED more from life.  Know that there are people here that care and want the best for you.  You're not alone.

"posted a super negative status about how sick she was of reading about people's healthy choices and exercise and how she ate a chicken sandwich and a candy bar. I don't know. I guess I feel isolated.

I feel that way about a lot in my life. It seems like the more effort I put into bettering myself the less people want to stick around."

I know this is going to sound SUPER snobby, but I don't care. 

The more you try to better yourself, the more people resent you because  you have the strength that deep down, they wish THEY had.  The person that mentioned the candy bar?  Are they overweight? Eat healthy?  Are they blessed with that infinite metabolism so they always stay thin?  Well if not, they ARE the people that still drown/eat/smoke their guilt.  Standing up for yourself; taking a risk on doing something really difficult, and pushing through it all is like holding up a mirror to everyone.  "Well, if rogaecia does this, then why can't/don't  I? I'm just as good as her."  Better not to think about it and become resentful that you showed them thier reflection.  The people that are challenging themselves as well (plenty of people here on NF) will appreciate you so much more, but the people that want to wallow will secretly want you to fail and stay down there, with them.  That means they don't have to change.  That means that there is no point in changing- because see what happens to Her when she tried? It's just a waste of time *insert scoff*

The very fact that it seems this should be easy is exactly what the focus needs to be put on.  A million Dr.s can say, "oh jee, you just have to walk 30 minutes a day and lay off soda".  Is it really that easy?  No.  Not even close.  If it was that easy, everyone would do whole 30. 

You, and all of the people on here are amazing.  We've all come from different parts in our life and we've all realized that we want more out of life.  You're pushing forward.  (again-snobby alert) This makes you better than the people that never tried couch to 5k, the people that never bothered to cut back on drinking, the people that never wanted; no, DEMANDED more from life.  Know that there are people here that care and want the best for you.  You're not alone.

+1 UP FOREVAH

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines