Why Do We Fall?

Hey everyone!

So this is my second and a haflth challenge. Why the half? I sorta dropped out in the middle of the last challenge I did a few months ago. I love this site, but unfortunately I'm pretty terrible at forums...I always seem to wander away. Hence the thread title...why do we fall? So we can learn to get back up again. Determined get back up now, and here's why.

After several years of job-related struggle, it seems that I've finally landed a job in my career field (transportation engineering/planning). Because of bureaucracy, I have to wait a few weeks before I have an official offer and start date, but I've been told by the department director and hiring manager that I've got it. 

While the start date isn't nailed down yet, it will probably be somewhere in mid-October, conveniently near the end of this challenge. I've made great strides in the past couple of years with health and fitness, but I want to make sure that doesn't get lost in this huge life transition I'm about to make. So with that in mind, here's the challenge!

I apologize in advance for my incredible verbosity.

Main Quest: Create and maintain healthy habits to carry through this new chapter in my life.

Goal 1: Work out four times a week. No less than three!

I started CrossFit at the end of May/beginning of June and really enjoy it, though my attendance has lapsed in the last week and a half. My goal is to work out at the box 3 times per week. Usually I go to afternoon classes on my days off or on days when I have later shifts. However, over the next few weeks, I will gradually shift to earlier classes, so that when I start my 9-5 job, I will be able to attend the early morning WODs before work without it being a huge transition.

I still have a regular gym membership. My plan is to go here once a week (generally Sundays) to work on lifts I think I need extra practice with, do movements that the CrossFit programming hasn't done recently, etc. 

Goal 2: Eat to grow!

I used to be a heavy guy. I've successfully lost almost 50 pounds by following the Paleo/Primal way of eating and not constantly stuffing my face. So now I've successfully met the goal of "don't be fat." The next step is "be strong and fit." Goal 1 obviously plays into this, but I need to eat to fuel myself. Part of me is terrified of the "eat more to gain muscle" idea because I'm afraid I'll just get fat again.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to get past that, and it's been working out well so far (get it?). I aim for about 3,200 calories per day from primal-friendly sources, though my carb intake will be higher on workout days (particularly post workout). I'll be tracking with MyFitnessPal and monitoring my weight, body fat percentage, etc throughout this, so if I need to adjust up or down, I can. A corollary of this will be to eat home-cooked meals as much as possible, so I'm not dropping obscene amounts of money on food.

At the end of the day, I don't have a particular weight goal. It's more about performance, plus a side of how I look :tongue:

Goal 3: Tone down the drinking.

I have a bad habit of going out to bars (well, a particular bar) by myself when I'm bored and nobody is around to hang out. No more. My worst episodes of inebriation have happened in that situation, since there's not much do do besides drinking and texting. Also I will decrease consumption when I go out with friends. It's hard to quantify, because I don't drink beer (makes me feel like crap) and mixed drinks can vary in alcohol content from place to place. But basically, being relaxed is fine, but I want to make being drunk a rarer thing. Mark's Daily Apple had a rule of thumb: "If you feel off the next day, you had too much." I'll start with that rule and go from there.

This will have side benefits too, like being better for my budget and better for sleep. I've got a couple of friends on board with this, so that should help too.

Life Goal: Finish the Codecademy Python course.

This is a goal from my aborted last challenge. I'd always assumed that I was terrible at coding, but never really gave it a chance. For the last challenge, I was learning Python on Codecademy, but stopped halfway through. Now that I know I'm starting a job that will include using ArcGIS, this has become more important, as the reason I wanted to learn Python was for ArcGIS scripting. So I'm going to get back into Python. It's been so long that I think I will just start from the beginning again. If I have time, I will practice using this in ArcGIS itself, so I can be extra prepared when my job starts.

Motivation: Defy expectations.

Ever since I was little, I'd assumed that I'd be a fat, weak guy with a distinct lack of self-confidence for the rest of my life. Well, little by little I've been chipping away at that. I'm not heavy anymore. I do better with people than I used to. The next six weeks are to get me moving in the right direction to be healthier and stronger, and to start this important next step in my life with confidence. Here's to it!

I may add attribute points later, but at the moment, I've got to run to CrossFit.

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

My Challenge Thread

Hey Browncoat! You have a really well thought out challenge. I like how you are using the time now to prepare and build habits for the future job (congrats!). Very cool. All the goals are fantastic. If a reward systems works for you, you could put the money saved from the bar toward something else as a prize. Good luck!

First couple of days have gone well so far. Went to CrossFit yesterday and the regular gym today (since I didn't go on Sunday), and have been meeting my food goals so far. I've got some errands to do this afternoon but will be making some time for some Python tonight.

I am doing the Python course on Code Academy also and am also about halfway through!  Like you I am learning it for work related reasons.  Good luck with starting the new job and leveling up in life!

Thanks! My only coding experience before Python on Codecademy was a mandatory MATLAB course in undergrad, which was...not the most fun. Definitely enjoying Python more. I think it helps that I can directly see how it's going to be useful to me, rather than just doing it because someone says I have to. 

Hey Browncoat! You have a really well thought out challenge. I like how you are using the time now to prepare and build habits for the future job (congrats!). Very cool. All the goals are fantastic. If a reward systems works for you, you could put the money saved from the bar toward something else as a prize. Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm planning on going to Atlanta for college homecoming the first weekend of November, so saved up money from less bar-hopping will go towards financing that.

My Challenge Thread

While the start date isn't nailed down yet, it will probably be somewhere in mid-October, conveniently near the end of this challenge. I've made great strides in the past couple of years with health and fitness, but I want to make sure that doesn't get lost in this huge life transition I'm about to make. So with that in mind, here's the challenge!

I share the fear of life impacting the heath strides I've made too (as we are moving mid Oct).  Perhaps we can help keep each other on track.

The right thing starts at the beginning of the day, not after you've been caught." -John Crichton, Farscape

Well, the first week so far is going pretty well. It's been a bit hectic, so I haven't had much time for  Python so far (tsk tsk) but I've been doing well with my diet and exercise goals.

What I need to do is do what helped me a LOT with working out: schedule it in my iCal in advance, rather than just doing it "when I have time."

Tomorrow's going to be wicked hectic. Long day at work and extra busy in a way that only happens a few times a year. I think the evening's deadlift-based CrossFit workout will be just what I need to relieve the stress hehe. And then that night is my aunt's birthday party, which will be my first major test of keeping my drinking down to a reasonable level at social events. Though this is kind of an easy one to start with, since I will naturally rein it in when my mom is present, lol.

My Challenge Thread

Okay, I'm back! Crazy busy couple of days.

So...deadlifts on Friday. They were okay. Did 185 for 5 sets of 5. I felt like I could have done more. Problem is, because of scheduling, I couldn't make it to CrossFit, so I went to the regular gym. The regular gym, which does not have nor allow chalk. So my problem was not so much the weight, but my grip, as the bar kept slipping out of my hands. Gah.

On the plus side, this makes last week the first week I have successfully worked out four times. So I'm happy about that.

Went to the gym again today. Did some bench presses, military and push presses, front squats, and assisted pull-ups and chinups. Bench presses are difficult for me....after a couple of weeks being able to do 115 reliably still is just out of reach. And I still can't do a pull-up. But getting there.

Tomorrow's CrossFit WOD is "Elizabeth." I always try to make sure I'm there for the benchmarks.

Now, off to all the threads I'm following that I've been neglecting...

My Challenge Thread

One of the fascinating things about exercising is if you keep on trying you will get there.

I'll challenge you on the pull-ups, but I am such a beginner that I am sure I will lose.

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

Way to get the gym! Sounds like Week 1 was a success. How did the other goals fare, your eating and drinking related goals? Good luck with Week the Second! 

Thanks!

Eating goals went pretty well, I'd say. Got my calories in every day, and MOSTLY from Paleo sources, though my mom did beg me to come over for pizza on Saturday, heh. I did eat out too much though. Tomorrow I'm going on a major grocery shopping trip to make sure that doesn't happen this week.

Drinking goal went well too. I had a grand total of three drinks over the past week (two on one night, one on another, all with dinners). Tomorrow will be a challenge, though. We're going to karaoke. I love karaoke, but it tends to require some, er, liquid courage. I'm going to try to keep it reasonable, and at least I'm not scheduled to work out the next day, so there's no risk of it ruining that. Either way, I'm looking forward to doing my old standby, "Don't Stop Believin'." It's been my anthem in the past three years of career-related struggle, so now it gets to be my song of triumph, lol.

Python...I dabbled a little bit, but not as much as I wanted. Another thing on my agenda for my next couple of days, which I have off from work. 

My Challenge Thread

Oooh karaoke... that must have been a real challenge! It often leads to WAAY too much fun! How'd you do? Did you bring the bar to their knees with your stunning vocals? I love anything Queen during karaoke (to watch others sing Queen anyway!). Great job so far, and Woo-Hoo to major grocery shopping spree!

Whoa, haven't posted on here in a while. Gotta head to bed, but quick summary:

1.) Karaoke was fun, in that I always enjoy watching people perform. But it sucked in that it took them so long to call me up to sing (talking 2 hours here) that I ended up giving up and going home. I drank more than I wanted to, but not quite as much as I often end up doing. Giving myself a "C" for the night.

2.) Did a speedy review of some of the super-basic Python stuff. Even got myself a notebook!

3.) Eating has been pretty on point this week and I once again made it to the gym/CrossFit 4 times! 

4.) With eating, I'm particularly happy that I did a pretty good job of sticking to Paleo/Primal principles, and not just shoving random stuff into my face to meet my calorie goals. I'd hate to just get fat again, hah, and I really do feel better on whole foods.

5.) Tonight, went out to a (former) coworker's goodbye from work party. He's a nice guy and someone that I enjoyed talking to at work, but never hung out with outside of there. I have a weird thing going where I'm an extrovert--I love being around people and feel recharged by it, rather than needing alone time to charge like an introvert--but because I'm shy/lack confidence, I am bad at introducing myself to people and also bad about taking that step of "let's hang out sometime." I think it's the fear of rejection. At any rate, it was a great night, I had precisely one drink, and my friend and I toasted to keeping in touch and to hang out again. A+ for tonight!

And with that, I'm off to bed. Gym in the morning, then brunch with my mom and sister, then work!

My Challenge Thread

Glad that you were able to enjoy karaoke and limit the drinks, but bummer that you didn't get a chance to sing! And way to improve the Paleo eating. What kinds of snacks do you keep around your house? If you are nervous about starting communication, and getting social, you did really well planning to see your former co-worker. Have you ever read Steve's 20 Second Beast Mode article? I think it is an awesome idea, and it is one of the reasons I came back to NF (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/02/25/the-20-second-challenge/). Hope you had a good gym session this morning, and good luck with this week!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines