RisenPhoenix is just here for the Monkery

RisenPhoenix

Simple.

Straight forward.

Flowing.

I do not have the mental fortitude as of late to make a grandiose or awe-inspiring challenge.  While I did do some (what I consider) epic things last challenge, I’ve been a bit taxed due to things beyond my control.  While I tend to give the illusion that I’m all hunky-dory, mentally I’ve been in knots for the past few weeks.  So this challenge I’m just aiming for a good, ‘ole fashioned mental cleanse, while still trying to move forward with my other goals.  Keeping everything streamlined and Spartan (Yea, not what you thought the title referred to, is it? :tongue: ).  By which I mean nothing with hardcore measurements, calorie counting, pictures, etc.  I just want to MOVE, the rest can fall into place later.

1) Train till you drop:

I need to up my training for the Spartan race.  At the moment, I’ve been doing the scaled down advanced body weight workout on NF.  I’m thinking that by the end of the challenge, I want the full-tilt ABW to be… not a breeze, but something I don’t look at with dread.

How am I going to get there?  Well, there are a few big things in the ABW that I need to tackle.  First and foremost, I can’t do one legged squats, physically.  My left knee won’t have any of it, and I’m trying to keep it healthy for the race.  But pistol squats?  Probably more likely.  And then there are the pull-ups/chin-ups.  The ABW says 10.  Of each.  Per circuit.  Oof.  That is daunting as hell, especially given my inability to do either type without a jumping start.

So the goal is to slowly incorporate the pistol squats and extra XXXX-ups each time I do a workout.  My only slow down is the end of the month/beginning of October I’m running around a lot, so workout times will be hard to squeeze in.

Goal: Get through the NF Advanced Body workout.  Grading/Rewards: 1 circuit = +1 STR, 2 circuits = +2 STR, 3 circuits = +3 STR.

2) It’s a WOD world:

I signed up for the Spartan Workouts of the Day back when I registered for the race.  They are scary as hell.  Worse, they tend to assume you have access to certain bits of equipment or open running spaces that I kind of don’t have.  So my goal is to find at least one Spartan WOD each week that I can do, or modify slightly and do.

Goal:  Perform 6 Spartan WODs, at least one per week. 6 = A, 4-5 = B, 3 = C, 0-2 = F.  Reward: +2 STR.

3) Continuous Flow:

Running is hard for me.  Really hard.  I don’t like it, and there are about half a dozen other cardio exercises I’d rather be doing than pounding pavement.  When I do run, I pretty much spend the majority of the time hoping to be done soon, while the rest of my mind is stuck on figuring out what route I’m on currently.

This goal is aimed at making me run, not think about distance, and think about time.

I’m going to set a timer for 30 minutes when I run.  The goal is to run until my phone says to stop.  It’ll be a twin fold challenge, as I’ll likely not be at my house when the phone goes off, so I’ll have to deal with the whole “being out in public while dripping with sweat” mini phobia I have, since I’ll probably be too dead to continue running home.  Who knows, I may surprise myself.  I don’t care about distance so much as gaining the endurance to keep going.

Final Goal:  Regularly (1-2 times a week) run 30 minutes continuously, at any pace, and don’t fall over dead. Pass/Fail.  Reward: +2 DEX, +2 STA

4) Life Goal: What Is Your Profession?

There you guys go, my 300 reference.  I have a bad habit of procrastinating this job hunt.  I can’t really find any work that interests me in the area (or rather, work that I would enjoy and that I’m qualified for.  Seriously, Boston bacterial people need to stop asking for researchers with PhDs….).  Which is a bad habit to indulge.  I have a lot of skills that I can use, and there are in fact plenty of jobs that I can do, if not love.  So I need to start sucking it up and apply for even the jobs that I can do, even if I don’t think I’ll particularly enjoy them.  So my goal is to apply for 5 jobs a week for the challenge.  Boston definitely has them out there, I just need to search and edit my resume accordingly.

Final Goal:  Apply for 30 jobs.  Grade out of percentage, phone and in-person interviews count as applied jobs (so yes, if I can feasibly get 3 counts out of one company.  Which will be fine if that results in me getting a job).  Rewards: +2 CHA, +2 WIS

And that about does it.  Fairly straight forward and simple.  It’ll be a bit difficult with a scheduled talk at a panel next week, a wedding the week afterwards, and then, uh, Comic Con.  But I figure this should give me a pretty solid base to get my bearings back ASAP.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Agreed, man. You need to get your head back on straight. You've been knocked for a loop, and it looks like you're still not out of it.

But training is good for that kind of thing. It restores you and brings you back to where you were before. It's good and worthy, and that's awesome that you're doing it.

So! We got your back on this one. Are you still able to do Aikido?

Agreed, man. You need to get your head back on straight. You've been knocked for a loop, and it looks like you're still not out of it.

But training is good for that kind of thing. It restores you and brings you back to where you were before. It's good and worthy, and that's awesome that you're doing it.

So! We got your back on this one. Are you still able to do Aikido?

Thanks, Kishi.

And yea, definitely still doing the aikido. Actually if anything that is what's holding my strength training back. Go ahead and ask if I care about that. :P Seriously though, aikido I budgeted in permanently a few months back, so I'm still going, and going often. Enough that I've had some half-joking remarks that I should test for 3rd kyu in December (we only have tests every 4 months. So that'd be a whopping 4 month gap between two tests). It's a little pricy, but worth it. I actually had some one suggest that I ask Sensei if I could pay the student rate while I'm unemployed. Might be worth it if this seems to be a longer term thing.

Anyway, if I wasn't doing aikido I'd be at the gym lifting heavy, but I value the community more than the (physical) strength, and it's an either/or deal. So like I said, this challenge I'm going for fluid and flowing. Aikido fits that bill nicely.

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

"I do not have the mental fortitude as of late to make a grandiose or awe-inspiring challenge." I hear you. Straightforward and simple seems just like what we need for completion though, I definitely also entered this with a "get it done" attitude. So, let's do that.

Wishing you the best of luck for those job hunts. The process absolutely sucks but you'll get there!

AT least you are taking action, grandiose theme or not. I admire that and totally can relate with the whole job thing. I've been having a very similar problem for the last several months and like you, I lack the qualifications that are in demand for the careers that interest me and the funding to go and get those qualifications. I find getting back on track with workouts tends to help make everything else slowly start to fall into place. You know what you're doing so just keep it up and you will be fine.

"If you're in hell, keep going."

Level 3 Human Monk

STR 8, DEX 4, STA 7, CON 8, WIS 6, CHA 5

Current Challenge

“Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight."

-Johnny Cash

You're Late. ;)

Taking it easy? I wouldn't call this challenge easy! One legged squats and the like....phhsssst. You're still hardcore.

Good Luck! I'll be here rooting you on! :D

Yea, yea.  Like I said, not a lot of mental energy at the moment.  And I'm not hardcore.  More squishycore.  With a hint of awesome sauce under the surface.

"I do not have the mental fortitude as of late to make a grandiose or awe-inspiring challenge." I hear you. Straightforward and simple seems just like what we need for completion though, I definitely also entered this with a "get it done" attitude. So, let's do that.

Wishing you the best of luck for those job hunts. The process absolutely sucks but you'll get there!

Thanks, LW.  Same to you - getting out of ruts is sometimes needed. :)

AT least you are taking action, grandiose theme or not. I admire that and totally can relate with the whole job thing. I've been having a very similar problem for the last several months and like you, I lack the qualifications that are in demand for the careers that interest me and the funding to go and get those qualifications. I find getting back on track with workouts tends to help make everything else slowly start to fall into place. You know what you're doing so just keep it up and you will be fine.

"If you're in hell, keep going."

It really is a killer thing.  The jobs either want someone with a PhD and umpteen years experience, or a BSc with no experience whatsoever.  The guy with a Masters Degree and practically 5 years experience on the bench?  Nope, sorry, nada.  But I've also been picky, so that's one of my problems I'll have to deal with in this challenge.  Stop being picky and just find something with pay along the same lines as I was getting before.  Which shouldn't be too hard in Boston, with all it's biotechy goodness (as long as I stay in industry. Academia is pretty much an automatic 50% paycut...).

That ABWW is a beast.  I tried it a few challenges ago, but it was too much for me.  You go forth and reclaim the honor of phoenices everywhere!

Awwwwww yeeeeaaaahhhh.  It's a killer, mainly in those points that I mentioned.  10 pull ups and chin ups are crazy, as are the single leg squats (though practicing some Judo-esque sacrifice throws yesterday helped get my legs warmed up).

Anyway, started with the scaled down ABW yesterday morning.  Which was rough.  This morning I meant to run.... and slept in waaaaay later than usual.  So my goal is to find a few jobs today, run around lunch (doing the weekly challenge), and then maybe apply for a few more jobs this afternoon before aikido.

Busy day planned.  Oof.

Well, you still burn calories during sleep... and, it's a good way to hormonally rebalance. Good stuff. Not worth beating yourself up over.

Good luck with the job hunt!

Yea, I guess.  I did end up running Tuesday afternoon, though.  Unfortunately, allergies were killing me Tuesday and my brilliant idea to take 2 benadryl before aikido turned out to be not-so-brilliant.  Couldn't figure out why my brain was so fuzzy about halfway through the first class.  Whoops.  Ended up slacking and only went to one class, so as to not fall asleep.

And yesterday?  Yesterday was kinda epic.  I didn't do a workout or run, but what I did do was hike.  A lot.  I think I walked 4-5 miles in a reservation near my apartment.  In any case, it was about 4-5 hours of walking, followed by an hour and a half of aikido.  Which was then followed with burgers, beer, and watching sumo wrestling with guys from the dojo.  Yup epic.

That being said, I'm totally knackered today.  Slept in and I'm planning on taking the a rest day.  Tomorrow I figure I'll try to run and get a Spartan 300 Ab workout in (100 second plank!?!?!?), and maybe run to the weapons class at the dojo.  Saturday-Tuesday I'm away, though I think I'm packing some workout gear to let me run/go to the gym with a friend whilst I visit with him.  We'll see how those plans work out.

In the mean time, I've applied for 5 jobs so far this week that at least look somewhat interesting.  I have a few more I want to apply to before the day is done.  Or maybe tomorrow morning post-workout.  But doing okay so far, I guess.

Okay, so this is going to be a fun update.  And by fun, people (read: Cheechoe) aren't going to like it.

I'm cancelling my challenge.

It's been dawning on me over the past few days that trying to do a challenge right now is just not a wise move, given where my head is at.  That, paired with a lot of travel in the next few weeks means I'm already at a disadvantage, and I have enough failure going on in my life that I don't really want to add another one on top of it.  My morale is just shit as of late, and my willpower is suffering as a result.  Doing a challenge right now is triggering in my brain a "You need to achieve X, Y, and Z, or it's a fitness fail" motif, and right now I can't really handle that.  My goal is just to keep moving, even if it's at a plateau for the time being.  Pretty much the only thing I want to do is be at the dojo (damn, I wish could pull off being a soto deshi right now).  For now, that's all the physical activity I really want.  I'm still running and dping light BW circuits, but my focus is definitely not there.

So I'm taking a step back, continuing my reorientation, and stalking forward where I can.  Just at the moment the (strength) physical needs are not outweighing the mental ones.  I know my brain, and a storm is coming that I would much rather head off than dive head long into if I keep going at my current rate.

I'll be back next challenge, and every so often to check in on people here.  I'm good at ghosting out, I'm sure you guys won't notice me missing.

It takes a lot of courage to do a challenge like this but it takes even more courage to know when to say "enough is enough". Trusting yourself is one of the hardest things to do, but it's also one of the smartest. You do what you need, get yourself back in balance and we'll be here waiting for you. I've cut back on posting my logs as much here this challenge because it was starting to overwhelm me. I'll likely take a break the next challenge myself to try and get more of my life together. Stuff takes time, and where motivation is good sometimes it becomes too much pressure. Be good to yourself and remember you have friends here.

Level 3 Human Monk

STR 8, DEX 4, STA 7, CON 8, WIS 6, CHA 5

Current Challenge

“Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight."

-Johnny Cash

It's all right, man. You've been through a lot your own self. Losing a job and having the pressure of the race and all that? It can be too much. This is supposed to be a source of joy, not a place of futile and unfun struggle.

You go ahead and get yourself sorted out. We'll manage things back here in the mean time. Also, please feel free to ghost me if you want. :D

You know what's awesome when you feel completely and utterly depressed?

Reading about Budō.

Seriously, even things that are mundane seem much more badass after reading about the topic.  And then there's that whole benefit of helping you put everything in perspective.  Double bonus.

Anyway, even though I have no official challenge anymore, I figured I should at least give small updates on what's going on in my life.

I'm trying to get myself back into a schedule.  I think part of my problem is I lost my internal clock timing,  so I need to get that back.  So I set my alarm to go off around 7:00-7:30.  This serves a duel purpose:  Not only do I get up early, it means I can't try to wriggle my way out of working out because "it's so late, I need to start applications."  Granted, this will be tricky mostly next week, when I'm away visiting a friend and going to Comic Con.  And it'll be interesting this weekend, when I'm away at a wedding.  But small steps.

I ran yesterday morning, nothing crazy, just my usual 2 mile jaunt (in about 17 minutes).  I don't care about times or distance, just getting out to run right now.  Though tomorrow morning I may try a small detour to see what happens.  That being said suwari-waza Monday night at aikido, running yesterday morning, and then 2 hours of aikido last night?  Yea, my knee is kinda borked right now.  Ice and Aleve are my friends, but it walloped my motivation to do any workout this morning.  Maybe tomorrow morning I'll run and workout.  We'll see how that goes, since I need to prep for leaving Friday morning for this wedding.

Also going through my mind is potentially buying a set of adjustable dumbbells.  Which is kinda iffy, given my financial situation.   But I figure if I keep using them for at least 6 months, I'd get my money's worth (a decent gym membership around here is ~$50).  Not that I wouldn't want to use them AFTER the six months, but from a financial perspective, using them that long at least evens things out in my wallet.

I've gained a little bit of weight over the past two months now, so I want to fix that.  Not a lot (3-4 pounds), but it's definitely not good weight.  I feel.... extra jiggly.  Which isn't really saying a lot, given how jiggly I am in general, but I want to be be less squishy.  I'm still around 20-21% BF, and I want to get to ~18%.  Which will probably be mostly diet, but I need to do more intense workouts to get there.  Problem is lack of motivation.  And I'm still trying to figure out how to get more.

Probably by reading about Budō.

Yay, I'm glad you're updating! :)

Sorry about the depression. :( I'm surprised you are actually workign out - when I hit depression, I hit it hard. Working out helps me not go crazy though.

The schedule thing is a good idea. Hear anything back on any apps yet?

(Sidebar: I love that you're ghosting me, but really - slipping in to remind me and tempt me of your homemade almondbutter is just mean. ;) Now Im trying to think of spices and such (cinnamon of course) to add to mine. )

Budo changes everything. All of a sudden, your life is epic, because each and every little thing you do takes on a meaning and significance unlike anything else. I wish it was a more ancient discipline, but as it is, being Japan's version of Art of Manliness is not a bad consolation prize.

True enough, but since it does have its roots in bujitsu, and heavily influenced aikido (and judo!), I think it's a good place for my head to be.  Plus, all the Tao.  Which always is a bonus, in my mind.

Yay, I'm glad you're updating! :)

Sorry about the depression. :( I'm surprised you are actually workign out - when I hit depression, I hit it hard. Working out helps me not go crazy though.

The schedule thing is a good idea. Hear anything back on any apps yet?

(Sidebar: I love that you're ghosting me, but really - slipping in to remind me and tempt me of your homemade almondbutter is just mean. ;) Now Im trying to think of spices and such (cinnamon of course) to add to mine. )

Nothing heard as of yet.  Which is just so much fun.  Hopefully something will pop up soon.  I've started broadening my scope a bit to include things that I'm not as fond of, but will pay the bills. (And this homemade maple almond butter is fantastic, by the way.)

Glad to hear you're still pushing on! :) Keep it up, RP, you got us waiting on you! Good luck, as always.

I'm doing what I can.  Speaking of...

So went to my college roommate's wedding this weekend.  It was fantastic, and was filled with much merriment, food, and beverage.  Bonus that I got to see several people who I haven't seen a few years, and we kinda just slipped right back into our college-level norm, like no time passed at all.  I'm really starting to appreciate these types of friendships more and more, especially as my friends disperse themselves though the country.

Anyway, I've noticed lately that I've been sleeping like crap.  Coincidentally, it also overlaps with my "Fuck working out" phase of existence the past few weeks.  So I'm thinking my lack of working out (outside of aikido, but my body has pretty much acclimated to those workouts) is the culprit, since most of my other habits have stayed pretty constant.  So today I broke through my fog and did a(n epic) workout.  It is as follows:

Burpees - 15 x3

Lunges  - 20 x3

Hip raises - 20 x3

Burpees - 15 x3

Hand release Pushups - 20, 15, 10 (Ow ow ow ow ow.  That sucked more than I thought it would)

Pull ups 4

Chin ups 4

Mountain climbers 20 x3 (I think I did these wrong, but tomorrow morning may tell me otherwise)

Burpees 15 x3.

Uh.  I think a burpee gremlin took over my notebook.  This started as 5 simple exercises, and then burpees magically appeared at the beginning, middle, and end.  Took me well over an hour, because I actually did proper rest times between each set (2~4 minutes), but I did manage to make my lunch over those time periods, so I guess I multitasked well.  Felt oddly nice to be drenched in sweat at the end of everything.  Hopefully my body doesn't fall apart at aikido tonight.

So the goal right now is to keep this up until I go away to Comic Con on Thursday.  I get back late Monday night, so hopefully Tuesday I can get back into the swing of things.  Odds are I won't run that Tuesday, but I will try to do this routine (or something like it) again.

Ahhhh, feels good to be (somewhat) back.

True enough, but since it does have its roots in bujitsu, and heavily influenced aikido (and judo!), I think it's a good place for my head to be.  Plus, all the Tao.  Which always is a bonus, in my mind.

Nothing heard as of yet.  Which is just so much fun.  Hopefully something will pop up soon.  I've started broadening my scope a bit to include things that I'm not as fond of, but will pay the bills. (And this homemade maple almond butter is fantastic, by the way.)

I'm doing what I can.  Speaking of...

So went to my college roommate's wedding this weekend.  It was fantastic, and was filled with much merriment, food, and beverage.  Bonus that I got to see several people who I haven't seen a few years, and we kinda just slipped right back into our college-level norm, like no time passed at all.  I'm really starting to appreciate these types of friendships more and more, especially as my friends disperse themselves though the country.

Anyway, I've noticed lately that I've been sleeping like crap.  Coincidentally, it also overlaps with my "Fuck working out" phase of existence the past few weeks.  So I'm thinking my lack of working out (outside of aikido, but my body has pretty much acclimated to those workouts) is the culprit, since most of my other habits have stayed pretty constant.  So today I broke through my fog and did a(n epic) workout.  It is as follows:

Burpees - 15 x3

Lunges  - 20 x3

Hip raises - 20 x3

Burpees - 15 x3

Hand release Pushups - 20, 15, 10 (Ow ow ow ow ow.  That sucked more than I thought it would)

Pull ups 4

Chin ups 4

Mountain climbers 20 x3 (I think I did these wrong, but tomorrow morning may tell me otherwise)

Burpees 15 x3.

Uh.  I think a burpee gremlin took over my notebook.  This started as 5 simple exercises, and then burpees magically appeared at the beginning, middle, and end.  Took me well over an hour, because I actually did proper rest times between each set (2~4 minutes), but I did manage to make my lunch over those time periods, so I guess I multitasked well.  Felt oddly nice to be drenched in sweat at the end of everything.  Hopefully my body doesn't fall apart at aikido tonight.

So the goal right now is to keep this up until I go away to Comic Con on Thursday.  I get back late Monday night, so hopefully Tuesday I can get back into the swing of things.  Odds are I won't run that Tuesday, but I will try to do this routine (or something like it) again.

Ahhhh, feels good to be (somewhat) back.

WOOOOO!!!

Awesome workout!

(Maple?!?!?!? - drooooooooooooooooooooooooooool)

Um, post pics of Comic Con. Yes.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines