A MadScientist shrinks himself

MadScientist

Main Quest

This will be my third challenge on my "year to awesome" quest.  I have made some progress toward the physical goals, more toward the life work goals.  I have been very consistent about getting old projects done, furniture fixed and refinished, etc, but have still been neglecting my music a bit too much.  My main area of work this challenge is getting my body fat percentage down.

Short Term Quest

1. Keep carb consumption down to 100g per day or less, subject to 80/20 rule.  STA +2 CON +3
  2. Drop an inch or more of waist size (currently 36.1"). CHA +2
  3. Work on headstands at least four times per week.  I still get dizzy when I try them and I need to get over this. STR +2 DEX +2

Life Quest

1. Publish some music, somewhere, and let this community know where.  I currently have several projects in the works that could qualify for this. WIS +2 CHA +2

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

I should perhaps clarify what I mean by publish music.  I perform, but do not write much.  I plan to record something(s) and publish it somewhere.  I will probably enlist the aid of my musician friends to help.  I have recorded in the past, but never for public consumption.  Something I need to do.

My first couple of days went well.  I have kept the carbs low and practiced my music.  Have not managed to practice a headstand yet, but the night is young.

Level 8 Human Druid

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Hi there!

Welcome back and it's brilliant to hear that you've been doing well consistently on many things.

I look forward to hearing your music (when you publish it :) ) and quite frankly any time upside-down and/or in head-stand-land is impressive in my books.  

Good luck with another milestone along the road of life! :)

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

I had a planned indulgence today - my music group, the Backyard Boys, was invited to a yearly thank you lunch for all the volunteers at a nursing home we sing in.  We got our 15 year award.  I ate the cheesecake (and avoided the potatoes).  The cheesecake was awesome.  I need to create a low-carb version.  It was a very dark chocolate with hints of coffee.  Hmm...

I also had a Backyard Boys practice tonight, so got in an hour and a half of music, singing and playing.

I managed to start working on inverted postures.  I have been having allergy issues for the past couple of weeks, and I got dizzy very fast.  Hopefully, it will get better fast.

Thanks for your encouragement!

Level 8 Human Druid

Cheeeeeeeesecaaaaaaake.....*drool* :hypnotysed:

Haha that sounds awesome. The Husband tends to avoid or hide any mention of cheesecake. Cause I would eat a whole one all by myself if I could. ;) Because cheesecake.

Keep up the good work! :)

Artemis Wolf
Level 2 Uratha Ranger
STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 2

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Character and Epic Quest

Battle Log

Been a busy two days, and I have managed to keep on track.  Last night, I finished fixing a rocking chair and sat in on an Eagle scout project review.  I will be reviewing them, myself, soon.  I managed to practice and try a partially upside down posture, as well.  Carbs are still in check.

I am considering what I want to record for your amusement.  My son will be home from college for the weekend, so I will have a drummer.  I play a large range of folk music, from medieval, to Renaissance, to bluegrass, celtic, old-time, and gospel.  If you have a preference, let me know.

Level 8 Human Druid

The temptation to go upside down gets stronger the more frequently you do it, I've found =)  I can't do handstands yet but that doesn't mean I don't practice them because it makes me feel really young again.

I don't have any preferences for music but I would love to hear anything you put out.

Keliswicked, level 6 half Hobbit/ half Dwarf Druid

Progress Log  ||  Fitocracy!  || 2 3 4 5 6

It's been a wild weekend, but I managed to stay more or less on target.  Unfortunately, my body didn't think so.  When I measured myself on Sunday, my waist size went up to 36.4" from 36.1" the week before.  I think this is bloating due to allergy issues, but will act like I am simply eating too many carbs. I need to start writing a food log to verify my consumption.  I have been avoiding this, since anything that takes me much time will probably end up not done, but I may be able handle it for a couple of weeks if I try hard enough.  If I can find a good app for my phone (Android based), this might become a lot easier.

I have been practicing being inverted about every other day.  The allergies and current minor sinus infection are not helping, but, strangely, not hurting that much either.

As mentioned earlier, my son was here over the weekend, and we tried recording a few songs, one Celtic, a couple medieval.  Unfortunately, the laptop I was using had trouble buffering and ended up randomly losing bits and pieces of the sound.  I may be able to salvage something, but have not had the time, yet.  Last night, I attempted to record a old Italian dance (Amoroso).  It has three parts and a continuo, all of which I planned to do on the mandolin.  A lot of it ended up sounding nice, but there was a fair amount that had poor timing, ending up sounding like random noise.  Once again, I may be able to salvage something, but I do need to work on timing.  If I have time tonight before or after the Boy Scout meeting, I may try to do a haunting fiddle tune called Stratherrick, written by Scottish fiddler Alasdair Fraser in the mid 90s.  I am alternating fiddle and mandolin practice days.  So, I am working on getting something out, but not there yet.

Thanks for all of the encouragement!

Level 8 Human Druid

A wild weekend, huh?  I kind of have visions of crazy partying late into the night!! :D  Well done for staying on target.

Do you practice headstands against a wall, or are you able to do them freely?  

Celtic and Medieval sound like what I was going to request :D   I don't know Stratherrick, but it would be lovely to hear it!

Hope your week has gone well, and that the allergies haven't been affecting you too much!

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Facebook

A wild weekend, huh?  I kind of have visions of crazy partying late into the night!! :D  Well done for staying on target.

Do you practice headstands against a wall, or are you able to do them freely?  

Celtic and Medieval sound like what I was going to request :D   I don't know Stratherrick, but it would be lovely to hear it!

Wild just means we were very busy.  I drove to my son's college and back twice (4hrs each).  He came home to get a new cellphone, so we spent awhile with that.  I gave him my old phone, a Motorola Atrix 4G, but had to wipe it and took the opportunity to flash a better ROM on it.  I then got to set up my phone (a Nexus 4).  I mindlessly upgraded its operating system before reading about it, so now have a phone that does not work well.  The upgrade causes the radio to intermittently not work.  So I need to reflash to ROM on my phone to get it back to the previous version.  I am hoping Google will release fix soon in the next few days so I can avoid that issue.  And we played music!

That, however, was a minor issue.  My mother-in-law went to the hospital last Wednesday with pneumonia and a serious urinary tract infection.  Fortunately, the antibiotics are working, and she is recovering nicely, but my wife has been spending a lot of time at the hospital and I have picked up here normal house duties.  My quest went by the wayside for a few days.  Unfortunately, when stressed, I eat carbs.  One of these days, I will get over that, but that time is not now.  So I have been hitting the carbs more than I would like the last few days.  Fortunately, it has not been too bad.  It is Sunday, so I measure myself.  I am back to my starting waist size of 36.1".  I also had one of the lowest weights I have had in awhile, so YAY!

Unfortunately, I am not at the point where I can actually do a headstand, yet.  I have the strength and balance, but I get dizzy as soon as I start to go inverted.  I have been practicing kneeling with my head down and doing the shoulder stand pose, but have not had much luck.  I have not practiced much since Wednesday.  I will keep at it and things should get better.

I had a nursing home concert yesterday, and I showed up about half an hour beforehand to help set up sound equipment.  I tuned up and started playing random Celtic, Bluegrass, and Renaissance tunes until the rest of the band showed up.  It ended up being about 20 minutes.  We just put up our stands and played acoustic, which is the way I like it.  We were better than normal.  I was a good time.

I spent some time today trying to record again.  I tried a few things to get the laptop to work, but could not get past buffering issues.  I also had timing issues, so the problems were not all in the computer.  I will keep at it, but you may have to listen to a very whiny sounding fiddle.  I can either record with skips or in a room with lots of high-frequency echo.  I have managed (once) to record the fiddle so it sounded good.  I have no idea how, since it happened early in my recording last fall.  I will eventually figure it out.  If you would like to hear what Stratherrick should sound like (it is a bagpipe and fiddle tune), check out the YouTube posting.  Then go buy the album ;).

Level 8 Human Druid

I got tired of triggering carb fests, so made a pact with myself a couple of days ago, right after my last post.  I will not eat anything sweet until October 31.  I have a planned indulgence for my Father's 90th birthday, coming up the middle of this month.  I will also not eat high calorie snacks, so no more macadamia nuts for awhile, unless I happen to put them on my salad ;).

So far, so good.  Only been two days, but I am thinking I can do this. There have been some cravings, but nothing bad.  So points one and two seem to be back on track.

I did some kneeling head down postures and started looking a bit more critically at when the dizziness occurs.  It seems to happen mostly during motion, not as much during being inverted.  This explains why I get very dizzy doing a somersault but have no real issues with a shoulder stand.  I will keep working at it and it should eventually go away.

I will be playing with my children at my dad's birthday soon, so spent awhile yesterday night picking out songs and playing through them.  I found out that a drone string on the tonic works very nicely on Cantiga 1 if done in Am or Dm on the violin.  My daughter can do an open chord first-fifth alternating pattern while simultaneously playing the melody on her hammered dulcimer.  It is pretty cool.  Still no joy on a decent recording.  Still trying...

Level 8 Human Druid

Hi MadScientist

How has your week gone?

I hope your mother-in-law is recovering and that you are less stressed.

How is the no-carb pact progressing?

Well done on getting back to your starting waist size!

Hope your debugging the headstand dizziness is getting you closer to the solution! :)

-- Facebook

This week has been fairly stressful, and I managed pretty well until Friday, when I totally blew my carb pact, and have not managed to get it back on track since.  It should be back on track tomorrow.  It is easier when I am not home with M&Ms, cookies, etc. around (my wife likes her carbs).  I was getting stress from both work and home.  Normally, I can handle it pretty well, but not two weeks straight.  I ended up mentally exhausted today, and essentially did nothing.  I did manager to review a Boy Scout Eagle application so the scout can move forward on his project.

Not all gloom and doom, however.  I have about four home projects (out of around 30) that require a router (which is a hand-held device for machining wood in a precise manner).  I have been watching Craigslist for a good one for months, and finally tracked one down and got it on Saturday.  Yay!  Now I just need to do the projects ;).

It is Sunday, so time for weekly checking.  I have done about five out of seven good days for carbs.  My waist has remained constant (36.1").  It usually goes in spurts, so that is not unexpected.  It is the last thing to respond to proper diet.  My waistband tells me things are getting better.  I have not been practicing inverted much, but it is getting better.

I have been practicing some Cantigas to record, and they are almost there.  I will be playing them at my father's upcoming 90th birthday celebration, so I may end up getting the recording there.

Thank you, Eirlys, for the incentive to post something. I really appreciate the support.

Level 8 Human Druid

Five out of seven good days is really good!  I can sympathize with the stress thing.  Home, work, family, and so on are a lot to juggle.  I sometimes envy hermits.  Really looking forward to musical recordings even though I only understand about half your lingo.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

2 weeks of continued stress is a lot to contend with.  In a strange way, I'm glad to hear you did nothing on one of the days, as it's the only way your mind is going to be able to take a break!

And I'm glad to hear you've secured the router of your dreams (or project plans).  Nice to know your effort in watching out for it has been rewarded!

Maintaining waist size a week after losing some inches is a good thing!  A decade ago, when I went on a steady diet losing about 42 lbs (5 lbs a month), I'd find the tape measure would show results only every two weeks.  As you say, progress in spurts.

Hope you're enjoying practising the cantigas.  And 90, what an amazing age to reach!

-- Facebook

Well, I lost about five pounds in the last couple of days, but I would not recommend it as a method.  I got the stomach bug my wife had.  I am currently home convalescing and doing OK.  I have a Boy Scout campout I am attending this weekend, so need to be ready by then.  I should be.  I just gathered my camping gear, since I have a Boy Scout meeting Thursday night, which will take most of my time.

Thanks, peggysr and Eirlys for the encouragement.  It meant a lot.  My wife will be out of the house until the weekend, taking care of my mother-in-law, who is still recovering from pneumonia.  I should have a fun time with my son, who will not be wanting to help with dishes ;).  Life never stops!

Since I have been sick, nothing much has happened other than relaxing, watching movies (The Hobbit), and thinking.  I am ready for the second half of the Hobbit to be released...

Level 8 Human Druid

Stomach flu is awful!  I hope you're fully recovered and have a good time this weekend.  Best wishes to your mother in law for a speedy recovery.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

Quick check in before I go to bed.  I am still stuck at 36.1 inches in the waist, although my jeans are fitting looser.  I did keep my no sugar quest this week, despite the stomach flu.  I even managed a couple of sessions of inverted postures.

Due to the stomach bug, I did not get much music done this week, but did practice more for my Dad's 90th birthday celebration.  Cantiga 1 and a barn dance fiddle tune medley were on the agenda.

Level 8 Human Druid

Hope you're feeling better now - flu is very rough, I'm impressed at what you managed to achieve coming off the back of it!

When's your dad's 90th?

-- Facebook

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines