sicil - Ninja Trainee Preparations For Battle

sicil

The other day, my manfriend asked me why I had been sticking with the healthy kick this time around. (Given, I then bullied him into going to the gym after an exhausting weekend roadtrip.) I searched my brain and came up with two personal triggers: the sinking feeling of being mistaken for a pregnant lady on the bus, and the very expensive Mass Effect one-piece sitting in my closet, tags still attached, intended for a friend's wedding in Mexico this fall. Those were the basis of my last two challenges here.

The long-term 'why' owes in a large part to the NF community here; all the friends I've made, the ridiculously strong teammates who now make up Stealthy Nerd Bastards 2.0, and the extreme geekiness that ties us all together. I've never been so motivated in my life to see something through. I'm accountable to everyone here as I take small steps into reclaiming my ninja status. I can't wait to see the improvement in myself after a few more challenges.

Main Quest: Ninja Preparations For Battle

I have a love-hate relationship with preparations. When I play a game, the preparation (grinding) always gets me down. I know I have to do it in order to get to the next city/level/boss, but doing so really, really sucks. Same thing with general fitness - I know I should stretch and eat the right things in order to support all of my activities, but it always gets pushed to the backburner. What better way of making sure I do all that by making it the foundation of my challenge this time around?

That being said, I think I'm good with sticking with the Assassins this time around. The types of flexibility/movement I've seen listed as assassin-y pursuits interest me - Ido Portal, Animal Flow, Prasara, Mobility WOD. A big part of why I don't stretch enough is simply because I'm bored of 'normal' yoga. I'm not about inversions and head/handstands, and I'd rather focus on the movement itself.

Goal 1: Ninja Get Stretchy

15-20 minutes a day. Every day. My shoulders and neck are constantly aching, and my posture is terrible. I'm hoping to see some noticeable improvement at the end of this challenge. I'm also going to be experimenting with body rolling.

Payoff: DEX +4, STR +1

Goal 2: Ninja Get Whole30-y (CON +3, STA +2)

On a whim, I'm joining rogaecia's Whole30 program. We'll be starting next week and finishing a few days shy of the end of this challenge. It's a perfect time for me, as the manfriend is leaving for a month to see family, and I need something to keep me on track. Otherwise, my diet tends to go down the tubes.

Payoff: CON +3, STA +2

Goal 3: Ninja Maintain The Status Quo

Bodyweight workouts 3x / week, cardio 4x / week. Personal trainer is still mixing things up. I don't think I'll have a problem here, so have weighed the payoff accordingly.

Payoff: STA +1

Life Goal: Complete Geeky Coursera Course
Comic Books and Graphic Novels. I've never gotten into comic books, and that's a crying shame. Do all the readings, lectures, participate in the forums. Learn some new worthy knowledge.

Payoff: WIS +2, CHA +2

Motivation
I don't want to live in pain on a daily basis. I don't want to continue to ignore the aches and creaks in my body while I continue to push it further. I don't want injury to bog me down as I sneak around corners and hide in shadows. Because that wouldn't be very ninja-like.

I'm in my late 20s. The time for change is now.

Join me, comrades!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

Great goals, sicil! Wow, a couple of people are doing whole30s. Do I jump on the wagon? Hmmmm....

The comic books goal sounds super fun, let me know if you find some good material! I love graphic novels.

You should! But I know you're running a marathon as well, so it might be a little tough on the schedule... rogaecia and I don't start until next Monday.

It's just the basics at the moment! The course hasn't started yet, but here's my recommended reading list. I can't believe I'm saying that about a bunch of comics. ;)

After week three, the lectures turn to specific texts.  If you are driven to buy some of the books, I would first suggest that you buy the following three:

1. Art Spiegelman's Maus (especially volume one)

2. Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns

3. Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons's Watchmen

If you still have some money burning a hole in your pocket, I would recommend these, in this order:

1. Alison Bechdel's Fun Home

2. Chris Ware's Building Stories

3. and finally, Warren Ellis and John Cassady's Planetary, and/or any book by David Mazzucchelli or Paul Pope.

The remaining books are:

1. Neil Gaiman, et al., Sandman, Volume 4: "Dream Country."

2. Bill Willingham, et al., Fables, Volume 1: "Legends in Exile."

3. Joe Sacco, Palestine.

4. Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch: The Ultimates I & II.

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

So glad to see you back!  Hubby is a comic book fiend, and has many of the books on your list.  I remember buying him Maus as a gift many years ago.  I was so tickled to have picked something he really liked.  I've read the first 2 on your list, and I think he owns most of the rest of the list.

I'm wondering if you've looked into a standing desk?  That's been a huge help for my shoulders.  The setup at work is boxes just the right height and monitors on an adjustable arm.  I just moved up to a couple of Ikea pieces at home that are working out well.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

Hey there, ninja. Saw we had some tags in common, so thought I'd... tag along. B)

I'm kind of in the same place, getting the boring parts right so that I can do awesomely with my goals. Success is boring, or it should be. Which makes it challenging.

But that's what makes it worth it too, right?

Also, totally envious of your life goal. Wish my school had offered me a comics course. Rock on!

So glad to see you back!  Hubby is a comic book fiend, and has many of the books on your list.  I remember buying him Maus as a gift many years ago.  I was so tickled to have picked something he really liked.  I've read the first 2 on your list, and I think he owns most of the rest of the list.

I'm wondering if you've looked into a standing desk?  That's been a huge help for my shoulders.  The setup at work is boxes just the right height and monitors on an adjustable arm.  I just moved up to a couple of Ikea pieces at home that are working out well.

Nice, Eggy can quiz me on my readings. ;) I don't know why I never got into comic books. I think I was too busy playing video games... So I guess I need an academic course to help me see the light. Tragic, no?

I unfortunately can't get a standing desk for work. Wouldn't work with the setup of the office. I am going to prop up my monitor to eye level and see if that helps... Take a picture of your standing desk! :) Did you follow a specific build online?

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Hey there, ninja. Saw we had some tags in common, so thought I'd... tag along. B)

I'm kind of in the same place, getting the boring parts right so that I can do awesomely with my goals. Success is boring, or it should be. Which makes it challenging.

But that's what makes it worth it too, right?

Also, totally envious of your life goal. Wish my school had offered me a comics course. Rock on!

Hey Kishi, thanks for popping in! We have some tags in common, but the stuff you're working on boggles my mind! ;) Way to go!

What are you working on at the moment? I see tabata intervals but what about stretches? Stretching was a big part of my day when I was heavily into Taekwondo.

It's actually a free course offered online through the Coursera platform, along with many other awesome courses. You should definitely check it out. ;)https://www.coursera.org/course/comics

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

What are you working on at the moment? I see tabata intervals but what about stretches? Stretching was a big part of my day when I was heavily into Taekwondo.

It's actually a free course offered online through the Coursera platform, along with many other awesome courses. You should definitely check it out. ;)https://www.coursera.org/course/comics

Well, warming up is pretty easy for me now. I don't flinch from doing that at all anymore. It's the cool downs I need to focus on, so that's what I'm doing for myself. And taking my off-days to do maintenance type stuff - flow work and yoga and things like that.

Ah, yes, Coursera. I keep telling myself I'm going to do a philosophy course in there someday. I keep not doing it. Need to get other priorities sorted before I can get that. But yeah. If my life goal were sorted out, I'd definitely look into that.

Pre-Challenge Bonus Workout: Went to Long Beach, WA this weekend. First time there, had some ridiculously good seafood. They have a lovely trail along the beach that has some ups and downs, nothing too taxing, so we went for a bike ride in the morning and did some short hikes in the area. By evening, I was lacing up my runners. I'm not 100% how far I went, but I estimate it to be over 2 miles in 20 min. Most of it running, did some intervals. Felt good, but I am reminded by how much I prefer indoor running. Much easier to pace myself and focus on the stride. Drove back over the border on the Sunday, and in the evening (again) I did some short intervals on the treadmill. I also did an extended stretch and seriously worked out some kinks in my shoulders. Need more of that. Hence the challenge.

Terrific goals, Sicil! I literally laughed out loud when I read your bullied your manfriend to get to the gym :D

I'm pretty excited and thankful that you decided to do the Whole30 too! Woo hoo! 

The course work looks so awesome! 

I look forward to how much butt you kick this challenge. :)

He didn't want to, but there are a lot of things in life he doesn't wanna do. He thanked me after. ;)

Hi sicil!  Love your goals.  Looking forward to your updates.

Hey Incantor! So glad you're back for more! Lookin' forward to hearing more from ya!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

These sounds awesome, also mass effect one-piece?! I think I have to see this! I love mass effect <3 

Good luck with your goals and your Whole 30! I really look forward to keeping up with your progress! I can't wait to see your improvement after your challenges as well will be good for us all to look back and see how far we've come! xxxx

I did an online comic course earlier in the year about gender and comic books I felt a bit more comic educated, I have always been the same, comics seems like something I should be really into but never really got there. Now I have things that I might look into some more in the future!

Be More Ninja

Current Challenge

Instagram

Cardio last night. Watched an interesting documentary on The Perfect Runner. I'm going to start watching how I step on the treadmill. Also threw together a crockpot chuck roast with some veggies to let simmer overnight. Not paleo, but I'll get there...

These sounds awesome, also mass effect one-piece?! I think I have to see this! I love mass effect <3 

Good luck with your goals and your Whole 30! I really look forward to keeping up with your progress! I can't wait to see your improvement after your challenges as well will be good for us all to look back and see how far we've come! xxxx

I did an online comic course earlier in the year about gender and comic books I felt a bit more comic educated, I have always been the same, comics seems like something I should be really into but never really got there. Now I have things that I might look into some more in the future!

Mass Effect - this is what I got. ;)

Aww thanks! I'm looking forward to following along to your thread as well! Let's have a great 6 weeks!

I just stocked up on all of my readings and can't believe it'll be my nighttime activity from now on. :D

following you back.  That course does look neat! 

Hello hello! Glad to have you here! :D

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Last night: Quick Dip Yoga, 16m - http://www.myyogaonline.com/videos/yoga/quick-dip-hatha-yoga

Pretty good for such a short routine. Nice flow variations, some strength in the moving warrior 2's, as well as many forward flows. Not too challenging, but gets the breath moving.

This morning did my treadmill & bodyweight routine. Grabbed a quick shower and a protein bar before setting out, as we're setting up early for a client's tradeshow booth.

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Hello!

I love your goals! When I read your comic book goal, the first one I thought of was Maus. Its really really amazing, which is why its first on that list, I'm sure. I'm not much into graphic novels, either - my former roommate had that book and "made" me read it, and I"m really glad he did! I'm interested to hear how the others are - or maybe I'll just add them to my own list of books to read. :peaceful:

I am really interested in some more information about your standing desk, peggysr - specifically which IKEA pieces you're using. I'm thinking I might have to buy a new desk for home, and was actually looking at IKEA last night - maybe this is a good option for me?

Hello!

I love your goals! When I read your comic book goal, the first one I thought of was Maus. Its really really amazing, which is why its first on that list, I'm sure. I'm not much into graphic novels, either - my former roommate had that book and "made" me read it, and I"m really glad he did! I'm interested to hear how the others are - or maybe I'll just add them to my own list of books to read. :peaceful:

I am really interested in some more information about your standing desk, peggysr - specifically which IKEA pieces you're using. I'm thinking I might have to buy a new desk for home, and was actually looking at IKEA last night - maybe this is a good option for me?

I'll try to take some pics and post online this weekend.  I actually wound up using two small Besta shelves, but I was very lucky that they turned out to be just the right height for my keyboard on top of my desk.  One is upright with the shelves facing me and the monitors on top; the other is face down with a long shelf lying on top for the keyboard and mouse.

I didn't follow specific directions--I read a bunch and winged it.  Here's a useful link:  http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/your-backbone-will-thank-you-6-great-standing-desk-designs/

There's also a brief thread on NerdFitness:  http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/35258-standing-work-stations/

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

What up! Thanks for popping in! I haven't gotten to Maus yet but my manfriend had a skim and praised, "this isn't a comic book.... it's a graphic novel!" To which I thought, aren't they one and the same? Obviously not? ;) So, I can't wait to read that one!

I'm about halfway through The Dark Night at the moment and that's definitely more along the lines of what you'd typically think of. I played Arkham City a while ago so it ties in nicely. But, I've never been a huge superhero fan, so I'll be glad to get onto some of the other books on the list.

That is a pretty one-piece, and I bet you will wear it well.

Also, yes to yoga. Yes to yoga forever.

Aww thanks! Yes! Righteous rays of yoga power! :)

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

I'll try to take some pics and post online this weekend.  I actually wound up using two small Besta shelves, but I was very lucky that they turned out to be just the right height for my keyboard on top of my desk.  One is upright with the shelves facing me and the monitors on top; the other is face down with a long shelf lying on top for the keyboard and mouse.

I didn't follow specific directions--I read a bunch and winged it.  Here's a useful link:  http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/your-backbone-will-thank-you-6-great-standing-desk-designs/

There's also a brief thread on NerdFitness:  http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/35258-standing-work-stations/

Thanks for the links! I took a look briefly yesterday - great starting point for me for sure! I have grandiose dreams of having a convertible desk, but I know those are $$$$$$.

What up! Thanks for popping in! I haven't gotten to Maus yet but my manfriend had a skim and praised, "this isn't a comic book.... it's a graphic novel!" To which I thought, aren't they one and the same? Obviously not? ;) So, I can't wait to read that one!

Yeah, Maus is definitely not a "comic book" by any means. Its heavy material, but so well written and the graphics really add to it, too.

Yesterday was a toughie. Helped a client setup their audio/video for a tradeshow, then launched a social media campaign in the afternoon. Got home late as I had a non-profit committee meeting after work. I'll really have to figure out how to properly tackle long nights on-the-go once Whole30 starts next week. I did, however, resist the communal pizza on the table… which stayed there for the entire duration of the meeting. That took seriously ninja willpower!

Got my stretching in last night while finishing off The Perfect Runner. Got halfway through The Road, where every scene reminded me of a Fallout location.

About halfway through The Dark Knight Returns. Not a huge fan of the artwork, but the story is interesting enough. Can't wait to see the dialogue about treatment of women when Coursera launches. Arkham City had nothing on the amount of misogynistic cracks on every other page.

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

I'm about halfway through The Dark Night at the moment and that's definitely more along the lines of what you'd typically think of. I played Arkham City a while ago so it ties in nicely. But, I've never been a huge superhero fan, so I'll be glad to get onto some of the other books on the list.

Aww thanks! Yes! Righteous rays of yoga power! :)

It's a graphic novel if you like it; it's a comic book if you don't.  How's that for a distinction?

Now I'll have to reread Dark Knight.  It was long enough ago that I didn't have much feminist sensibility, but I remember loving the way it recast a story I knew.  I have a particular fondness for stories that tell a well known story from a different angle.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines