• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Meteoric

Strength In Numbers

I wasn't talking about gaining weight.  I was referring to adding 5lbs every workout-and specifically to the women who did the program.  SL 5x5 is a program designed for men so I was wondering how the women did with it.  I wonder if the women are able to keep up with the weight increases or if they stall faster than the men due to generally having lower muscle mass.  I have no worries of getting bulky so that is a non-issue.  I was thinking I may add 5lbs every other workout to give myself some more recovery time.  It would be slower going, but possibly safer as well.

I'd say to try each exercise with just the bar, and see how it feels. If it's very easy, you're probably fine adding 5lb every workout for that lift, at least until it gets challenging. If it feels challenging, going slow may be helpful. Starting Strength, which presents a fairly similar program, does mention in several places that most women may need to add weight more slowly/in smaller increments than most men.

SL is set up to only increase weight if you were able to finish all your reps, so once you start hitting failures you'll slow down anyway. In the long run it probably doesn't matter a lot, but hitting walls quickly may be discouraging.

Follow the rules exactly as they are written. They are that way for a reason. If you fail...then there is a procedure for backing off properly. Modifying the schedule is going to adversely affect the results, which will discourage you.

My wife is having no trouble with this program. She is currently rowing 120lbs...although her ohp has stalled at 70lbs. As a woman...you will stall earlier....but the program is designed to deal with that.

You can do it....we have faith in you. :)

If anyone is still checking these posts I need to vent!

Grrrrrrrrrr.  Looking for a gym that is near my home or office and I am having problems finding one that has 2.5lb plates!  Am I crazy, or is this asking for too much?  I am thinking I might buy my own and sneak them in.  Like I said grrrrrrr.

So are you all gonna be warriors for the next challenge?  I will be starting barbells which is the next level of strength training for me but I don't know if I qualify as a warrior quite yet.  Maybe I will be a Ranger because I am going for general fitness more than bodybuilding. 

The gyms here are all about the machines  and lots of classes. I told the woman at the front desk of one gym that I'd like to check out the free weight section.  She told me she didn't know what they were! I told her they were the "not machines"  lol.  Sums up what I am up against!  I checked out another gym this morning-2.5 plates, one squat rack, no power rack, but 2 smith machines-ugh!  This is the best one so far, no contract so I may join until I can find something better.  Weight section was empty save for 2 older gents (I live in florida) using some dumbells.  Having the whole section to myself would be kinda sweet!

I'm not sure if I will go warrior yet or not. Since my goals are pretty much about being better all round....I'll probably stick with adventurer until I change my mind.

My gym could give a crap less baout their free weight section. People don't come there to get strong...they come to watch TV while running on the tread mills. The trainers make it their daily task to cripple people as far as I can tell.

I haven't been to the gym in two weeks. Been dealing with a sick grandma. :(

I joined the adventurers because I am still trying to figure out what I like the best.  I kinda like doing different things so this may stay my home. 

Thanks for all your help and good luck on the next challenge guys! 

I've started a group for the new challenge under Cross-Guild, feel free to join if you like :) I'll be putting up a team thread soon.

Edit: Er, apparently that was the sign-up sheet for LAST time. OK, NOW I've started a group >.>

Nice one! I've put my name on the sign up sheet. Just got to set aside a bit of time to get to work on defining my new challenge goals. Happy to be on board :-)