• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Meteoric

Strength In Numbers

Hey! Sorry for the lateness - I didn't realise we had our own thread! I think I made my name wrong which is why I couldn't be found. Whoops. 

Anyway, I'm actually in Europe at the moment so there'll be a lag in my responses with the group but I'm excited to be part of the team, I'm doing the 5x5 stronglifts program. I'll admit that I got very eager and upped the starting weights. So far (beginning week 3) I haven't stalled yet but I don't know how far away it is : / 

I'm planning on doing this for 8 weeks and then beginning to implement conditioning and olympic weightlifting too - but we'll see how we go! 

Looking forward to doing all this with you! 

Welcome!

Be careful skipping weights. I know its really tempting because it feels like you aren't getting anything done...and people at the gym look at you funny. But the first few weeks are actually about neurologic training. It will make a big difference in where your stall happens if you skip weight.

That said....I accidentally skipped weight because I got excited and forgot how to count. lol

Its a progressive strength training program. Designed for barbell...but you can sorta do it with dumbbells. Five exercizes. Three days a week. Split into two workouts..."A" and "B".

A= Squats, Bench Press, Bent Over Rows

B= Squats, Overhead Press, Deadlift

Each exercize is five sets of five reps(5x5)....except the dead lifts...which is only one set of five.

You start with the least amount of weight you can do the exercize with...then add 5lbs each workout.

Squats are the king of exercizes...if you aren't doing them then you are cheating yourself out of a good workout. Throw away your situps and crunches and replace them with squats. :tongue:

Can you tell I love this program?

I can't do overhead press because of a weird shoulder thing I have-(thoracic outlet syndrome)  Nerves get compressed and my arm goes numb.  It kinda puts a damper on lifting.  Can't do any forward or lateral raises either.  Hoping to maybe one day be able to do some pull ups/chin ups.  Apparently I can pull down but not push up??  So said physical therapist anyway.  I'm thinking the chest press might be starting to cause me problems but I am doing them anyway (hope things don't get too bad.) 

I am planning on alternating a few weeks of lunges with squats.  Was going to switch next week.  I think both of them suck.  I do some crunches on the exercise ball to make them a bit more challenging. 

As for rolling a character-I thought about it but have to read more about how they do it.  Not sure about the stats and all.  But whatever it is-I will be awesome!  lol 

Hey hey again! 

I jinxed my stalling unfortunately, yesterday I didn't make it through some of the rowing sets - I'll keep the weight and then deload if I don't hit them : ( I know I've been a very typical big headed young Man lol. I'm still a little torn about whether to go back to the very beginning or just keep at it - I only want to do for it another 5 weeks . . . Hmmmmmm. We'll see.

I also thought about rolling (is that another word for making) a character but I'm going to do a bit more research first, let us know if you do it and how it goes! 

As for the large number of us doing strong lifts I must admit that when I saw the name 'strength in numbers' I actually left the group I was then in and joined here, with the vague suspicion I might find some lifters - I'm glad I did! 

I've looked at all of your challenges - it's good to be around people who have such great goals and motivations, I'm really excited to help you all achieve your goals in any way I can, and to watch as you all find success! 

As for the pastries I'm actually in Sweden, where the commodity of repute is not pastries, but scores of the most beautiful women you have ever seen. If you give me your address I'll see what I can do.

May I join you? I was attracted by the name of the group, and guess what? I'm doing SL 5x5 too! I started a few months ago, then stopped for about 6 weeks for a variety of reasons, and re-started last week. Tomorrow will be session 11, and I can't wait! I also signed up for my first challenge, now that I've discovered this awesome website!

Had a talk with one of the trainers at my gym last night. Wanted to see if he knew anything about functional strength training. Ended up sending him to NF.  Did managed to get some form checks from him.

Was a good night.

Thanks guys! I am so excited to be increasing my squat to 45kg (99lbs) tomorrow! It was meant to be today (Friday) but I have no one to watch my kids, who are home on school holidays (ugh). I'll have to go tomorrow, I usually avoid the weights area on Saturdays because of all the grunting men strutting around!

May I ask where everyone is? I'm in Australia, in a town about an hour south of Sydney.

Hi SassyMum welcome aboard!

Im in Sheffield, UK

I'm in the minority in this group as I'm following New Rules of Lifting 4 Women rather than the stronglifts most of you guys are doing. It does have me deadlifting, squatting and progressively adding weight for each workout too so I don't feel too left out!

Nearly at 45kgs squat too :pride:

Hi Jellsy- I've read NROLW, I found it so informative and so inspiring! It what really got me in to lifting! The only reason I didn't do the program was it just seemed a bit long and complicated, compared with SL5x5 which is very simple and straight forward. I'm thinking maybe in a few months when I've built some strength and confidence, I'll have a crack at NROLW. I'm really interested to hear how you find the workouts!

Let's post our goals for the weekend, and report back when we've achieved them You in? I'll start:

1. Make my way through pile Everest-sized mountain of laundry, (weather is hot and windy, so perfect for drying).

2. Clean entire house, including mopping floors (will be using kids as slave labour to help achieve this goal)! DONE

3. Iron ALL of DH's shirts!

4. Write a meal plan and shopping list for the coming week, including lunches for DH to take to work.

5. Take DD for a big walk with hills (excellent for her state of mind).

6. Hit the gym! Lifting session with squats, BP, and pullups (hoping for PRs in all 3!) DONE 45kg 5x5 squats, 30kg 5x5 BP, then wide hold assisted pullups, 4x8. Yay!

7. Invited my Grandma over for scones on Sunday morning, so will be baking those fresh, and will probably need a run afterwards IYKWIM!

8. Do some cooking- probably a big batch of bolognaise, cheese sauce (for mac and cheese), and a load of chicken breasts for lunches.

That's it for now- I'd better get cracking!