• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Meteoric

Strength In Numbers

Hey SassyMum, 

I'm originally from the UK but we moved to Australia (the Gold coast ) 10 years ago and I'm in Europe for the next 5 months : / All a little complicated. 

My goals for the weekend are to finish my group assignment, study for 5 hours, practice Guitar for 1.5 hours and do 2 Personal development sessions! 

Hope everyone's going well! 

I'm in Sarasota, Florida, USA. 

I'm not doing the SL 5x5 either but am doing some lifting with dumbells. 

No SL 5x5 because I was told by a physical therapist (years ago) that I shouldn't do any overhead press or forward/lateral raises because of my shoulder weirdness but I am thinking about giving it a shot anyway.  I am thinking that if I try some sets with like 5 lb weights to start I should be able to tell how aggravated my shoulder would be( without risking of injury.)  What do you all think?? 

FYI: shoulder weirdness=(possible) thoracic outlet syndrome. (I was never diagnosed because a physical therapist cannot diagnose anything but that was the treatment plan that worked for me.) Thoracic outlet syndrome basically means that the nerve bundles coming from the spine to the front of the body (through the "outlet" under the clavical) get compressed and can cause pain and numbness.  This can be from birth or the result of injury.   My shoulder will sometimes "act up" and I will experince numbness in my elbow and down to my ring/pinky finger.  I have full range of motion-it just feels weak and creepy.  I will also get pain in the top of my shoulder and neck.  This pain is why I went to see a therapist-the top of my shoulder was one giant rock.  I get this if I have my arms over my head or away from my body too much (like while cleaning ceiling fans, or vacuuming-don't worry I still manage to clean!)  I can't help but wonder if strengthening these muscles (or others?) would help or make things worse. 

Sorry for the long post.  SL 5x5 sounds like something I would like to try if I can do the overhead press. 

I'm in Sarasota, Florida, USA. 

I'm not doing the SL 5x5 either but am doing some lifting with dumbells. 

No SL 5x5 because I was told by a physical therapist (years ago) that I shouldn't do any overhead press or forward/lateral raises because of my shoulder weirdness but I am thinking about giving it a shot anyway.  I am thinking that if I try some sets with like 5 lb weights to start I should be able to tell how aggravated my shoulder would be( without risking of injury.)  What do you all think?? 

FYI: shoulder weirdness=(possible) thoracic outlet syndrome. (I was never diagnosed because a physical therapist cannot diagnose anything but that was the treatment plan that worked for me.) Thoracic outlet syndrome basically means that the nerve bundles coming from the spine to the front of the body (through the "outlet" under the clavical) get compressed and can cause pain and numbness.  This can be from birth or the result of injury.   My shoulder will sometimes "act up" and I will experince numbness in my elbow and down to my ring/pinky finger.  I have full range of motion-it just feels weak and creepy.  I will also get pain in the top of my shoulder and neck.  This pain is why I went to see a therapist-the top of my shoulder was one giant rock.  I get this if I have my arms over my head or away from my body too much (like while cleaning ceiling fans, or vacuuming-don't worry I still manage to clean!)  I can't help but wonder if strengthening these muscles (or others?) would help or make things worse. 

Sorry for the long post.  SL 5x5 sounds like something I would like to try if I can do the overhead press.

Hi AttackBunny- my first thought it that strengthening the muscles could only help, but if you've had issues with your shoulders in the past, I'd say its important that you do your OHP and BP with PERFECT form. Do you belong to a gym? A qualified trainer would be the best person to teach you proper form.

I would certainly approach a doctor about figuring out EXACTLY what is going on there. There are issues with aggrivating an issue like that, but there are also problems with changing your movement patterns around something like that.

I would very much want to do those movements with a bar, just because tensioning with the bar is more stable. You could pick up a light barbell setup to start with very light weight....just to get the muscles used to the neglected range of motion.

Watching people at my gym last night, I could not help but feel very thankful that I have NF. It's astounding how much time is wasted in the gym. And how many injuries are brewing.

What the frak is with all the quarter squats? Who is teaching this crap?

Soooo can anyone explain why my dominant side hurts more than my weaker side?  Better form?  Overcompensating with my stronger side?  I thought the opposite would be true but my ouchies prove otherwise.

You are using dumbbells...right? I would imagine that your stronger side is causing form issues. One problem with dumbbells is that they are not linked...and it allows you to have different form on each side. Using a bar causes a more uniform movement...especially when you start moving up in the weights.

I get the opposite pains. When I have a muscle group that has lagged behind sue to a form issue...it always hurts for a bit when I correct the problem.

Hey Guys, I had to have a mole cut out of my forearm today so it's not more training for the rest of week, and I'm going to Russia next week so my challenge has hit a bit of a snag - still be squatting and eating well this week so not to worry! 

Plus . . . I'll be watching you! 

Starting Strength is such an awesome book! Partway through chapter 1, I've already learned how to recognize and correct several mistakes I was making on squats, and it makes everything that was confusing or fuzzy turn crystal clear.

Still here! I like your photos Shem :)

Still going with the challenge too. I believe there may even be some muscles developing!

I've read the squat and deadlift chapters in 'Starting Strength' - very detailed.

There are some good YouTube videos of Mark Rippetoe analysing the moves too (bit less heavy going than the book!)

I'm here too but I have noticed that we have a few people that don't seem to post much. (not even weekly progress check ins-which is fine, but I can't tell if they have given up.)  

I am thinking of joining You Fit because it's cheap and close to my work.  I have to go check out their free weight section first.  Being as I have not been using barbells does anyone have some pointers on what to look for and what's a good number of said items to not be waiting around forever.  (although, this center is in an area filled with retirees so I may have the weights section to myself!  One can dream!)

I know I should look for squat or power racks, and I would love one of those assisted pull up machines (long time goal stemming from grade school is to do a freaking pull up!) but other than that I have no idea. 

Going to go back to body weight with my squats because I decided they suck.  I don't think I am going low enough and need to figure out good form before I start with barbells.  I will be doing lunges with weights too so I can keep adding strength until I figure this squat thing out.  Maybe I just can't physically get as low as I think I should be going.  Idk.  I will have to check out those youtube videos Jellsy mentioned.  Any other pointers-bring them on! 

AttackBunny, look into doing "squat to stand" as part of your warmup and maybe as your after-workout stretches. This exercise helps the depth of your squats. Not to mention just general flexibility and mobility. About the gym....make sure you aren't getting locked into some horrible contract. Like an idiot....I signed one with anytime fitness. I cannot get out of it for 18 months. Really sucks because a new gym opened up down the street with better equipment, staff, and cheaper dues. :/

As I'm losing a bit of fat...it has become apparent that I have some symmetry issues with my muscle development. I need to find an exercise to compensate.

look into doing "squat to stand" as part of your warmup and maybe as your after-workout stretches

Ouchie.  Just tried a few of these and all I can say is ouchie.  I did the kind where you put your arms up-my back is really tight but I could do it.  These should help me a lot!  Thanks!

That looks amazing!

Last-login dates suggest most of us are still here (Elaine hasn't checked in since near the start of the challenge, and I'm not sure about keetabirdy, quite possibly she's just busy with life stuff), just kinda lurking.

Ultra delayed response on this, but I'm out in California.

Symmetry issues huh, Shemy? That's interesting; barbells are kinda automatically symmetrical, so I'd have expected that to self-correct if anything. I'm curious to know what you end up doing with it.

I've thought a little about rolling up a character; I'll have to give the rules a better look sometime this week.