Mediavore: Third Time's The Charm Challenge

athousandwords

☙ Preface â§

In a desk, in an office, there lived a Halfling.  She didn't live there all the time - sometimes she socialized and gardened and took walks - but enough of her day was spent there that she forgot that there was a whole world beyond those four walls and instead lived vicariously through Pinterest and other such Palantíri.  This particular Halfling was acquainted with an Adventurer guild from the Nerd Fitness Rebellion.  Twice she had even joined on an adventure: the first time she took a few wrong turns and dropped out halfway through (the record of which has been purged from even the servers in which they were kept!), and the second she stumbled along til the end and got her share of loot... but as is so often the case, lost contact with these friends and returned to her office and desk, forgetting the lesson entirely. 

After a few seasons had gone by, she noticed that her rump was expanding exponentially and her satisfaction with her surroundings had grown with it.  She realized that it was time to start living outside her office once again.  She joined back up with her Adventurer friends for a much longer quest... knowing that if she does return, she will not be the same...

Main Quest:  Lose weight in order to fit into a size 6

Motivation:  Why a size 6?  No particular reason.  I know that sizing, especially in the US, can vary dramatically depending on where you shop.  But I have a pair of size 6 jeans in my dresser that are practically unworn and I'd love to get back into them.  Since I'm currently seeping into a size 12, this would mean halving my current size, which is a big deal to me.  Plus, having a weight-related goal that doesn't relate to the scale or measuring tape feels more solid and concrete to me.  Working toward this goal will force me to reevaluate my fitness and food intake, and will take much longer than six weeks (probably 9 months to a year).  I want to use this first challenge in my main quest as a springboard for healthier eating and lifestyle.

Goal 1:  Track daily food intake and keep average weekly net calorie intake between 1200 and 1500 calories (CON 4)

I'll be tracking my calories daily on My Fitness Pal; my food diary is public so feel free to take a look and hold me accountable! At the end of every week, I'll be posting a summary chart that shows my average net calories for the week.  The reason I'm focusing on weekly average rather than daily is so that a) I can correct course if I have an 'off' day, and B) so that I'm forced to log every day.  Grading is determined by how many weeks of the challenge I stay in my range.

A = All 6 weeks

B = 5 of 6 weeks

C = 4 of 6 weeks 

D = 2 or 3 of 6 weeks

F = 0 or 1 of 6 weeks

Goal 2:  Exercise 3 times a week for at least 20 minutes (DEX 2, STA 2)

The plan is to do HIIT cardio for 20 minutes on Tues and Thurs, and 'get moving' at least one day of the weekend.  Weekend exercise can be: yard work, hiking, dancing, walking, etc - anything beyond routine daily movement.  I know this isn't a whole lot of exercise, but it fits my schedule for the next 6 weeks and is way more active than my usual sedentary life.

A = 18 or more workouts total

B = 14 - 17 workouts

C = 10 - 13 workouts

D = 5 - 9 workouts

F = 0 - 4 workouts

Goal 3:  Follow the "Real Food Rules" for every meal (WIS 3, CON 1)

This will probably be the toughest goal for me, because it involves paying attention, eating consciously, and not being lazy.  Since I cook at home 75% of the time, the most important factor is buying real food, though some leeway will be given for eating up food I've already bought (starving kids in Africa, guys, I can't just throw it away).  When eating out, I'll stick to places that support real food practices, like Chipotle, or order something with whole food ingredients.

* processed meals being my key word for anything that doesn't follow the Real Food Rules as defined by 100 Days of Real Food.

A = 6 or fewer processed* meals

B = 7 - 12 processed* meals

C = 12 - 18 processed* meals

D = 18 - 24 processed* meals

F = 25+ processed* meals

Life Quest: Do something creative for at least an hour every week (CHA 3)
What counts:  Craft projects, Writing, Drawing, Building, Painting, Sewing, etc.
What doesn't count:  Browsing Pinterest, Buying home decor, Saying I'm writing but spending 50 minutes browsing tumblr and only 10 minutes writing, Watching TV, etc.

A = All 6 weeks

B = 5 of 6 weeks

C = 4 of 6 weeks 

D = 2 or 3 of 6 weeks

F = 0 or 1 of 6 weeks

Starting Stats:

LEVEL: 2 | STR 7 | DEX 4 | STA 2 | CON 7.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 5

Weight: 171

Pants size: 12

Waist: TBA

Hips: TBA

Thighs: TBA

Left Bicep: TBA

Left Thigh: TBA

Mini-Quests Completed:

Mini Quest 1: What's a Hero without a Sidekick (+1 CHA)

Level 9 Ravenclaw Adventurer

STR 16.25 | DEX 12 | STA 18.75 | CON 31.25 | WIS 20.5 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 CURRENT: Project Phoenix

Usually it's pretty easy to set up goals.  Generally an exercise goal, a nutrition goal, and a goal relating to something small you feel you need to do: such as getting a solid amount of sleep, reading, ect.  Looking forward to what you post. :)

Usually it's pretty easy to set up goals.  Generally an exercise goal, a nutrition goal, and a goal relating to something small you feel you need to do: such as getting a solid amount of sleep, reading, ect.  Looking forward to what you post. :)

Thanks Terosx!  The last time I did a NF challenge was 6 months or so ago and they've changed the structure since then from 3 goals to a main quest + supporting goals, so I wanted to give a little more thought into what my main quest would be.  PLUS it was 5:30pm and dinner was calling...  :friendly_wink:

Monday, September 17, 2013

Goal 1:  1276 net calories (more details)

Goal 2:  Rest Day

Goal 3:  2 processed meals

Breakfast:  OK

Lunch:  Spinach Roll-Ups were not whole-wheat

Dinner:  Reese's Peanut Butter Cup contained sugar

Life Goal:  N/A

Overall not bad, kind of a rough start on the Real Foods goal, since I hadn't clearly written out my challenge goals yet so I wasn't consciously avoiding processed foods.

"hi!"

Please post photos of your creative stuff! (if they aren't too private to share)

Solid goals for 'let's get going, but not Too Much Too Soon"  You can do this!  :positive:

Dr. Mrs. Kate Murry - Not a Dr. named Kate, nor do I have red hair, but I do have microbiology cred.

Level 3 Manic Pixie Dreamgirl

STR 3/DEX 1/STA 3/CON 3/WIS 3/CHA 2

Current Challege:   no pain =win

Past Challenges: First: 28   Third: 30  :joyous:

Battle Log (Women's NFA) Battle Log

Read the Bible in 2014: 7% finished

"Mercy lives here, at home with the saints and the sinners, mercy lives here" -Derri

"hi!"

Please post photos of your creative stuff! (if they aren't too private to share)

Solid goals for 'let's get going, but not Too Much Too Soon"  You can do this!   :positive:

Ooh, that's a great idea!  I'll definitely post pictures when I finish, that will force me to actually finish!  :lol:

If you don't mind, I'll be along for the ride... ;)

Also - if you have any favorite "real food" recipes to share, that would be great! I'm always on the lookout for healthier options. :)

Hi Swampling, the more the merrier!  I'm hoping if I have enough people checking in on me (and enough people to follow in turn!) I won't drift off three weeks into the challenge...

Usually my 'real food' recipes are pretty simple, but right now I'm loving this shrimp taco salad.  I add black beans and corn and usually serve over brown rice, or in a whole wheat tortilla.  I'll try to post more recipes as I go along!

Hello Mediavore!!

I have similar goals to yours!!

I didn´t know this Real Food Rules, but definitively it is what I´m looking for!

This recipe thing is a good idea, I will try to post some recipes as well!!

By the way, I love your preface, and your photo!!

Hello Mediavore!!

I have similar goals to yours!!

I didn´t know this Real Food Rules, but definitively it is what I´m looking for!

This recipe thing is a good idea, I will try to post some recipes as well!!

By the way, I love your preface, and your photo!!

HI!

I'll definitely have to check out your thread! I got my "real food rules" from the 100 Days of Real Food site. There's a link up there under goal 3 or you can Google the site name (I'm on my phone so copy/paste is hard :P). I don't agree with 100% if what they say, but it's a good guideline for what I'm trying to do.

PS: Thanks! I love your icon too, it's adorable!

Real food rules - if it didnt baa, moo, splash, cluck or photosynthesize, its out.

And remove excess fat, ofc!

:D

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

soy sauce instead :D

also mediavore, if you want a squad pretty sure you can still join mine! loads of good people in there; http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/36721-rpg-fanatics-guild/

Why soy sauce? I just use kosher or sea salt, sparingly. Love your "real food" rules btw!

Your Guild looks super fun! I ended up joining a BBC fan group, but I still think it would be cool to put together a real food group, for recipes and discussions like this. Anyone interested?

I had done MyFitnessPal back in my first challenge last year - it really works if you put in the effort.  I've gained the weight back since then though.  If I were you, I would consider doing one challenge with the calorie limit like this, but making my next challenge focus on forming healthy habits that will carry with you even when you're not "dieting".  Something simple, like cutting soda or drinking your coffee black can go a long way over time.

I may be halfway back up to my starting weight, but I haven't had a soda in 11 months.  The weight comes and goes, but kicking the soda?  That's something that I'll carry with me for life.

Current challenge: Draco Used to Be an Adventurer Like You....

Previous challenge: Draco Returns for a New Adventure

Level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer

6.25 STR | 4 DEX | 6 STA | 4.5 CON | 5.5 WIS | 4.5 CHA

“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.â€

― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Yep, there is nothing wrong with a little salt, especially if it has minerals in it.  Many people probably get too much because they're eating processed food.

Real food does become a habit.

I wasn't completely real food strict, still had a lot of sources for sugar including refined grains, but I'm relapsing to the point of being able to eat something wholesome and be disappointed that it isn't cup noodles.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I had done MyFitnessPal back in my first challenge last year - it really works if you put in the effort.  I've gained the weight back since then though.  If I were you, I would consider doing one challenge with the calorie limit like this, but making my next challenge focus on forming healthy habits that will carry with you even when you're not "dieting".  Something simple, like cutting soda or drinking your coffee black can go a long way over time.

I may be halfway back up to my starting weight, but I haven't had a soda in 11 months.  The weight comes and goes, but kicking the soda?  That's something that I'll carry with me for life.

Yeah, I had a similar experience with calorie counting.  As you say, it works, but if you don't put a healthy lifestyle support system in place, you'll fall right back into your old habits once you reach your goal.  My plan is to keep keep counting once in maintenance to get used to what the 'new normal' feels like - so that once I'm not on a restricted calories diet, I don't binge and start eating all the things.  That's also why I'm focused on eating real food this challenge - it's a lot harder to binge when you're making the food yourself from scratch.  Removing the option of eating a whole Digiorno's pizza (but still allowing myself to eat a whole wheat pizza that I make myself) will hopefully help moderate my eating for life.  Only time will tell, I guess.

Yep, there is nothing wrong with a little salt, especially if it has minerals in it.  Many people probably get too much because they're eating processed food.

Real food does become a habit.

I wasn't completely real food strict, still had a lot of sources for sugar including refined grains, but I'm relapsing to the point of being able to eat something wholesome and be disappointed that it isn't cup noodles.

This!  When you start eating real food it does become a habit - and that's what I'm hoping to get to, where food I make myself tastes better than cup noodles (though: full disclosure, I freaking love cup noodles).  I know from experience that if you cut out the processed stuff for long enough, the idea of eating those chemicals again is enough to turn you off.  Then you just have to avoid a relapse, which can definitely be the hard part...

Are you doing a real food goal again this challenge?

Good goals. Good luck!

Thanks!  :D

Sounds good, I like the creative goal I did a creative life goal last time, trying to draw more, I wish I had made it more general though like yours!

Thank you!  I'd love to have a focus like drawing, but I'm too all over the place - one week I want to sew, the next I want to paint.  I figure as long as I'm getting something done, it's better than nothing!

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Goal 1:  1242 net calories (more details)
Goal 2:  20 minutes of HIIT
Goal 3:  0 processed meals

Lunch:  OK

Dinner:  OK - PB&J for dinner; the PB was fine, but the bread wasn't fully whole wheat and and jam had HFCS.  Still fits under the leeway cause for eating up food I already have.

Life Goal:  N/A - Bought supplies for my next sewing project, but didn't get any work done on it.

Pretty solid day, though I took it easy on my HIIT workout because I've been feeling a bit under the weather this week.  I'm glad I went anyway, I missed last Thurs by accident, and getting back into a habit after a day off can be difficult.  Better to do an easier workout and get it done than skip because I knew I couldn't handle the harder version!

Food wise, I was a little iffy for dinner, but at least for the first couple of weeks, I figure if I'm cooking at home (and not making something like Cup-a-Noodles), it gets a pass.  I plan on only buying whole ingredient foods when I go shopping, but for now I need to use up the bread and jam and other stuff I have in the house.

Tuesday, September 18, 2013

Goal 1:  1242 net calories (more details)Goal 2:  20 minutes of HIITGoal 3:  0 processed meals

Lunch:  OK

Dinner:  OK - PB&J for dinner; the PB was fine, but the bread wasn't fully whole wheat and and jam had HFCS.  Still fits under the leeway cause for eating up food I already have.

Life Goal:  N/A - Bought supplies for my next sewing project, but didn't get any work done on it.

Pretty solid day, though I took it easy on my HIIT workout because I've been feeling a bit under the weather this week.  I'm glad I went anyway, I missed last Thurs by accident, and getting back into a habit after a day off can be difficult.  Better to do an easier workout and get it done than skip because I knew I couldn't handle the harder version!

Food wise, I was a little iffy for dinner, but at least for the first couple of weeks, I figure if I'm cooking at home (and not making something like Cup-a-Noodles), it gets a pass.  I plan on only buying whole ingredient foods when I go shopping, but for now I need to use up the bread and jam and other stuff I have in the house.

For me, I'm over real food for a while and focusing on cheap. I can't stand WW pasta or brown rice, but the budget keeps me from doing anything more decadent than trying to eat what's left of that cow.

I do have in my quest a goal to create convenience foods for later in the year, when my energy is just enough to stick a prepackaged lasagna in the oven .

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Cheap healthy food is easy if you dont mind eating squishy vegies every now again. buy frozen, buy in bulk, premake them and freeze them. but my best advice?

grow it.

my dad grows veggies, and his pak choi (asian greens), carrots and potatoes are brilliant, and veey easy to grow! even strawberries arent too hard!

Or find a market, MUCH cheaper than stores!

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

I'm all over the place with creative things as well. It shouldn't be a problem as long as one can pick up a project and then get put away again before the next one.

Get on your next project.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines