MasterOfCows is back - sort of.

MasterOfCows

AHHH!  Thanks for the blog links, WR!  I love reading about other people's operations.

It totally makes sense to switch from farrow-feeder to feeder-finish given the extreme investment it would take to convert properly.  I've seen a few decent group housing farrowing operations, on a much smaller scale, but in order to prevent piglet deaths, sow aggression and proper feeding, they pretty much have to be built from the ground up.  Converting another barn just doesn't work very well, at least from what I've seen.  I think it's funny (in a not amusing type of way), that the very reason that crates were brought in originally (to improve sow and piglet welfare) is now the very reason that they are "bad."  

You're welcome to stalk me anytime CM ;)

I have updates, but probably won't get to the details until tomorrow.
Things were mostly on track - 3 days (weekend, of course) above 1600 cals - one very bad day, but we won't talk about that too much... let's just say that I drank a lot of beer and paid for it the next day!  I'm not as good at being hungover as I used to be.
Weight was the same as last week. 162.4

AHHH!  Thanks for the blog links, WR!  I love reading about other people's operations.

It totally makes sense to switch from farrow-feeder to feeder-finish given the extreme investment it would take to convert properly.  I've seen a few decent group housing farrowing operations, on a much smaller scale, but in order to prevent piglet deaths, sow aggression and proper feeding, they pretty much have to be built from the ground up.  Converting another barn just doesn't work very well, at least from what I've seen.  I think it's funny (in a not amusing type of way), that the very reason that crates were brought in originally (to improve sow and piglet welfare) is now the very reason that they are "bad."  

Not to thread jack too bad, but to give others some sense of scale.  My brother was looking at an investment of $2-3,000,000 to convert to something (there are no standards yet for stall free gestation), with no certainty that whatever he invested in, would be acceptable.  He is 51 years old with 1 son who may or may not come back to the farm.  Making that investment at this stage of life, would put a lot of pressure on the son to come home, force my brother to find more farm help, etc, etc.  It just did not make sense.

Now back to the cow and exercise stuff.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

i really enjoy hearing about these things. the gf and i actually went through a lot of the articles this weekend and had a big debate about hormones. it was great to have this thread as a source!

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Not to thread jack too bad, but to give others some sense of scale.  My brother was looking at an investment of $2-3,000,000 to convert to something (there are no standards yet for stall free gestation), with no certainty that whatever he invested in, would be acceptable.  He is 51 years old with 1 son who may or may not come back to the farm.  Making that investment at this stage of life, would put a lot of pressure on the son to come home, force my brother to find more farm help, etc, etc.  It just did not make sense.

Now back to the cow and exercise stuff.

Nope, more pig talk.  I know when we built our hog farm it was somewhere in the ball park of $500,000 and that was over 15 years ago, I've been told that the same operation would be closer to two million now.  We had a smaller operation with only about 4,000 head, which isn't all that many compared to a lot of other farms.  We sold our last bunch of hogs back in July.  The company we grew for is moving out of this area, but that actually worked out pretty well, because my dad was about ready to get out of the business anyway.  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

MOAR THREAD JACK!!

Seriously.  All the farm type folks can come and hijack anytime.  

i really enjoy hearing about these things. the gf and i actually went through a lot of the articles this weekend and had a big debate about hormones. it was great to have this thread as a source!

This is backed with Canadian data, but there's lots of US sources as well, beef production practices in most cases are virtually the same - most of the differences are in the Southern US 'cause it's so much warmer there than here.  There are a few differences in other species of what is and isn't allowed (I can think of a particular one in dairy, and maybe one in poultry, but I'd have to confirm)

http://www.beefresearch.ca/blog/qa-on-conventional-production-of-canadian-beef/

Now back to pork.  What are the sentiments like around the proposed gestation stall changes?  Has there been a lot of shift away from farrowing operations in the areas where the ballot initiatives are proposed?  We don't have those up here, which kind of sounds like a blessing.

And update!

Workouts first.

Oct. 3 Workout:

DB Seated OHP @ 50 lbs

-1X7, 1X6, 1X5 - same # of overall reps, may try a deload and some volume if it doesn't move a little soon.

DB BSS @ 20 lbs

-3X6 each leg

Hamstring curls w/band

-1X30 each leg

DB Tricep Kickback @ 20 lbs

-3X8, increase weight

Monster walks w/band 3X8 each way

Standing Hip Abductor w/band - skipped due to twinges

Ab Rollout w/stability ball - 1X10, 1X9

Single Leg Calf Raise - 2X10 + 30 lbs, still wobbly.  I have the worst balance ever.

Glute Bridge - 1X15 + 40 lbs
Sliding Hamstring Curls, 1X7, 1X2.  So killer.

Oct. 4 Workout:

DB Bench @ 70 lbs

-1X8, 2X7 - 2 more reps!  Seems to be my MO.

DB Lunges @ 40 lbs

-3X6 each leg.  

Pushup Assisted GHR

1X10, 1X8, 1X7 - the last two sets were only fingertip assisted, in the spirit of using less assistance!

DB Bent Over Rows @ 90 lbs (45 lbs in each hand)

-3X8.  Up to the 50's!  I dunno what I'm going to do after I master those.  Any suggestions for upping the ante on back work?  I think the lat pulldown machine is fixed again so I could try that. There is no pullup bar.

Monster walks w/band 3X8 each way

Standing Hip Abductor w/band - skipped due to time

Ab Rollout w/stability ball - 1X10, 1X9

Single Leg Calf Raise - 2X10 + 30 lbs, still suck at these

Glute Bridge - 1X15 + 45 lbs

Sept. 26 Workout:

DB Bench @ 70 lbs

-2X7, 1X6 - 2 more reps!

DB Lunges @ 40 lbs

-3X5 each leg.  Felt more stable, increase reps

DB RDL @ 60 lbs

3X10

-2X7, 1X6.  Might have had one more in me, but grip gave out

Monster walks w/band 3X7 each way

Standing Hip Abductor w/band - 3X10 each leg

Ab Rollout w/stability ball - 1X10, 1X8

Single Leg Calf Raise - 2X10 + 30 lbs

Glute Bridge - 1X15 + 35 lbs

Oct. 6 Workout:

Barbell Seated OHP @ 45 lbs??  There were 40 lbs of plates, but the bar isn't a normal type bar, I don't even think it's made out of steel, so I really don't know what it weighs, and I was too lazy to weigh it.

-1X9, 2X6

DB BSS @ 20 lbs

-3X7 each leg

Hamstring curls w/band

-1X30 each leg

Back Extensions + 30 lbs (didn't have 35's and wasn't sure about the 40's.  In retrospect it probably would have been okay)

-3X10

Standing Hip Abductor w/band - 3X10 each leg

Single Leg Calf Raise - 2X10 + 30 lbs

Glute Bridge - 2X15 + 40 lbs

Week 3 Update:

Gym - 3/3

Mobs/Balance - 3/3

Food Stuffs -   

GOAL REVISION:  I'm going to keep tracking and see what the results are for the whole 5 week period.  I'm going to keep calories around/under 1600 and see what happens.

I was super close or under 1600 4/7 days.  That is technically a D, but Friday really made it an F.

Same weight 162.4.  I thought about knocking another 100 cals off, but I'm going to stay with 1600 until the end of the challenge unless I see weight start to creep up.

House Stuffs - I did some dusting and putting away of laundry + general tidying!  Go me.

MOAR THREAD JACK!!

Seriously.  All the farm type folks can come and hijack anytime.  

This is backed with Canadian data, but there's lots of US sources as well, beef production practices in most cases are virtually the same - most of the differences are in the Southern US 'cause it's so much warmer there than here.  There are a few differences in other species of what is and isn't allowed (I can think of a particular one in dairy, and maybe one in poultry, but I'd have to confirm)

http://www.beefresearch.ca/blog/qa-on-conventional-production-of-canadian-beef/

Now back to pork.  What are the sentiments like around the proposed gestation stall changes?  Has there been a lot of shift away from farrowing operations in the areas where the ballot initiatives are proposed?  We don't have those up here, which kind of sounds like a blessing.

According to my brother, yes, lots of others making the same decisions.  The "family farms" (ie, owner/operators) are getting out of the pig farrowing business because of the uncertainty and switching to finish only operations. 

This is being driven by the animal rights lobbyists getting the restaurants and grocery chains to agree to only buy gestation stall free pork.  If all the buyers follow through on their commitments, there won't be a market for pork that has been produced using gestation stalls.  But noone really knows what mass produced "gestation stall free" pork looks like.

1) There are only 'proposed' regulations in most places.

2) Noone knows how to produce at volume without gestation stalls (as in how big of a pen, how many sows to a pen, how to control how much each one eats, when do you put them in farrowing crates, etc, etc)

3) Labor costs/requirements are unknown

4) Litter yields/mortality rates are unknown

5) Sow mortality rates are unknown

All of this means that over the next 3-5 years, most of the US pork production has to migrate away from a system that has taken 40 years or so to fine tune, into something else which is undefined. 

Just to take a for instance, say the average litter survival rate drops by 1 pig per litter (a well run operation should average close to 10 pigs per litter).  That is an automatic 10% reduction in the pork available, assuming everything else is equal.  But it won't be. 

One of the reasons for gestation stalls is to control how much the sows eat.  Sows are, well, pigs.  They will eat everything they can get a hold of.  And just like humans, as they get heavier, they have more trouble giving birth.  And are more likely to have sicker piglets.  Also, sows in a loose pen establish a pecking order.  If you have 10 sows in a pen, one of them is going to be the boss hog and will (at least try) to eat as much of the food as she can, which means the sow(s) on the lower end will not get enough.   The sows will also fight (over the food, over sleeping space, over the pecking order), with the "loser" more likely to miscarry.

None of these problems are necessarily unsolvable.  But it is pretty unclear what will work, and then out of what will work, what will be acceptable to the animal rights folks and what it is all going to cost.

Just don't expect the price of pork to go down any-time soon. 

Tally Sheet for 2019

-3X8.  Up to the 50's!  I dunno what I'm going to do after I master those.  Any suggestions for upping the ante on back work?  I think the lat pulldown machine is fixed again so I could try that. There is no pullup bar.

nice workouts! You can do barbell bent over rows. Or the pulldown machine of course. There's nothing you can use to do pull ups on? I know ring rows are helpful. Is there a lower bar or something you can hold onto instead of rings if you don't have them?

Week 3 Update:

Gym - 3/3

Mobs/Balance - 3/3

Food Stuffs -   

GOAL REVISION:  I'm going to keep tracking and see what the results are for the whole 5 week period.  I'm going to keep calories around/under 1600 and see what happens.

I was super close or under 1600 4/7 days.  That is technically a D, but Friday really made it an F.

Same weight 162.4.  I thought about knocking another 100 cals off, but I'm going to stay with 1600 until the end of the challenge unless I see weight start to creep up.

House Stuffs - I did some dusting and putting away of laundry + general tidying!  Go me.

awesome job with gym and mobs!!How come you are revising your goal? I weight the same as you and am having a lot of trouble staying under my macros at 1750 cals/day! I'm blaming it on the extra cardio at crossfit that I'm not used to...

Instagram | pinterest

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Since MoC said, ok...  another aspect of the farm/ranch life.  Weather can be a killer

http://thesouthdakotacowgirl.com/2013/10/my-heart-breaks/ 

I saw one estimate of 75,000 head of cattle died during the storm. 

Tally Sheet for 2019

Since MoC said, ok...  another aspect of the farm/ranch life.  Weather can be a killer

http://thesouthdakotacowgirl.com/2013/10/my-heart-breaks/ 

I saw one estimate of 75,000 head of cattle died during the storm. 

do they have insurance to cover the loss? Or is weather considered... "an act of god"?

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

As in many areas, the US Taxpayer is usually on the hook for disaster insurance.  (Yep, even the hardy rancher looks to the taxpayer safety net.)  And as mentioned in the article, the livestock insurance is part of the farm bill which has not been renewed as of 9/30/2013 (though that is unrelated to the current 'shutdown' situation).

And just for a level set, South Dakota produces less than 4% of the beef in the US.  So even though individual ranchers in one area of the state may be wiped out, it will not make a blip on the beef at the store.  That sounds harsh, but it is part of the reality of agriculture.  There is so much production in the US, and our distribution system is so efficient, that a regional disaster for one of the mainline products (beef, dairy, corn, soybeans, poultry, pork), does not really impact the consumer.  Produce of course is a whole nother story.

Tally Sheet for 2019

According to my brother, yes, lots of others making the same decisions.  The "family farms" (ie, owner/operators) are getting out of the pig farrowing business because of the uncertainty and switching to finish only operations. 

This is being driven by the animal rights lobbyists getting the restaurants and grocery chains to agree to only buy gestation stall free pork.  If all the buyers follow through on their commitments, there won't be a market for pork that has been produced using gestation stalls.  But noone really knows what mass produced "gestation stall free" pork looks like.

1) There are only 'proposed' regulations in most places.

2) Noone knows how to produce at volume without gestation stalls (as in how big of a pen, how many sows to a pen, how to control how much each one eats, when do you put them in farrowing crates, etc, etc)

3) Labor costs/requirements are unknown

4) Litter yields/mortality rates are unknown

5) Sow mortality rates are unknown

All of this means that over the next 3-5 years, most of the US pork production has to migrate away from a system that has taken 40 years or so to fine tune, into something else which is undefined. 

Just to take a for instance, say the average litter survival rate drops by 1 pig per litter (a well run operation should average close to 10 pigs per litter).  That is an automatic 10% reduction in the pork available, assuming everything else is equal.  But it won't be. 

One of the reasons for gestation stalls is to control how much the sows eat.  Sows are, well, pigs.  They will eat everything they can get a hold of.  And just like humans, as they get heavier, they have more trouble giving birth.  And are more likely to have sicker piglets.  Also, sows in a loose pen establish a pecking order.  If you have 10 sows in a pen, one of them is going to be the boss hog and will (at least try) to eat as much of the food as she can, which means the sow(s) on the lower end will not get enough.   The sows will also fight (over the food, over sleeping space, over the pecking order), with the "loser" more likely to miscarry.

None of these problems are necessarily unsolvable.  But it is pretty unclear what will work, and then out of what will work, what will be acceptable to the animal rights folks and what it is all going to cost.

Just don't expect the price of pork to go down any-time soon. 

Thanks for this.  Really helps to get the perspective from an industry that is really "more under fire" than we are currently from the public/activist pressure.  I know that the pork guys up here just revised their Code of Practice and tried to be conservative, allowing gestation stalls for the last 35 days of pregnancy, and have taken a lot of heat for it already.

nice workouts! You can do barbell bent over rows. Or the pulldown machine of course. There's nothing you can use to do pull ups on? I know ring rows are helpful. Is there a lower bar or something you can hold onto instead of rings if you don't have them?

awesome job with gym and mobs!!How come you are revising your goal? I weight the same as you and am having a lot of trouble staying under my macros at 1750 cals/day! I'm blaming it on the extra cardio at crossfit that I'm not used to...

Thanks!  No barbells.  Nothing in the gym that I might be able to rig up to do inverted rows - but might be able to figure something out at home.  Playgrounds and such are going to be out very soon because, well, winter.

My whole goal was about trying to figure out what my TDEE is based on data, not an online calculator.  The results from only one week led me to believe that I need more data points before it smooths out to something meaningful.  The actual numbers had my TDEE around 1500 calories (too lazy to go back and look), and since I was originally going to eat 300-500 under that, it didn't seem like enough food.  Plus, I don't want to sacrifice strength too much right now, in case I do have to get surgery on my knees.  Stonger legs = good for recovery, so I don't want to be in too much of a deficit, but I don't want to put on a bunch of fat either.  Sticking around 1600 for the rest of the challenge and using 5 weeks of data for a TDEE calculation seemed wiser than my original plan.

do they have insurance to cover the loss? Or is weather considered... "an act of god"?

As in many areas, the US Taxpayer is usually on the hook for disaster insurance.  (Yep, even the hardy rancher looks to the taxpayer safety net.)  And as mentioned in the article, the livestock insurance is part of the farm bill which has not been renewed as of 9/30/2013 (though that is unrelated to the current 'shutdown' situation).

And just for a level set, South Dakota produces less than 4% of the beef in the US.  So even though individual ranchers in one area of the state may be wiped out, it will not make a blip on the beef at the store.  That sounds harsh, but it is part of the reality of agriculture.  There is so much production in the US, and our distribution system is so efficient, that a regional disaster for one of the mainline products (beef, dairy, corn, soybeans, poultry, pork), does not really impact the consumer.  Produce of course is a whole nother story.

The disaster relief program up here when Calgary and area flooded does not currently cover cattle as they are insurable through other means (there are cattle insurance providers).  But the catch with that is that cattle insurance is really only used for very valuable breeding animals.  A producer with 500 head of commercial cattle wouldn't be able to afford the insurance premiums to insure every animal!  

I hope they recieve some disaster relief, though with the gov't shutdown it's hard to say when/if that will arrive.  Some of these guys lost their entire herd.  Last number I heard was 55,000 dead, but that could very well be out of date.  The economic impact on the individual (not to mention the emotional impact) will be devastating.

Week 4 Update:

This was a bad week.  Thanksgiving long weekend threw a wrench into plans, and somehow we had to do ALL THE THINGS.

Gym - 1/3

Mobs/Balance - 1/3

Food Stuffs -   

I was super close or under 1600 3/7 days.  F.  So much turkey.  So many mashed potatoes.  So much booze.  It was delicious.  Worth it.

Weight down though 160.6.  Feel like middle might be getting more jiggly, but that may just be messed up perception, it's not like my pants don't fit. Tempted to measure, but will wait until the end of the challenge.  

I have also realized that I am the laziest about this goal.  If I go over, I don't really care that much, and I'm tracking after the fact as well.  This is probably bad for actual progress on losing fat, but probably good for determining how much I need to eat to stay relatively the same size (assuming that ends up being the case at the end of the challenge).

House Stuffs - Cleaned the kitchen counters, put away all the bottles and cans for recycling, did laundry but didn't put it away, cleaned night table.

I don't have notebook for workouts but highlights:

-Bench still improving slowly rep by rep, almost at the point to move up to 80 lbs, which I've never done before.

-OHP FINALLY increased the reps on this one.  So happy to see a little progress.

-Hamstring stuff is coming along fine - moved to single leg glute bridges and they are challenging.  Also need a bit more form work on sliding hamstring curls, but these are awesomely hard.  

-Accidentally doubled weight on the DB BSS and hit for 8 reps - I was wondering why things felt heavy and a little shaky, then realized I grabbed the 20's instead of the 10's.  I don't doubt I could increase weight faster on these and the lunges, but I've got some psychological hang ups about hurting my knees and not being able to do anything, especially with potential surgery looming.  I might try a heavier first set (I'm thinking 10-20 lbs heavier) and back off on the next two (what I've decided "working" weight is for that particular workout), still working up from 5 reps to 8 reps/set.  Might help get some confidence back.
-Need to foam roll more, been slacking and can feel the consequences

Food Stuffs -   

I was super close or under 1600 3/7 days.  F.  So much turkey.  So many mashed potatoes.  So much booze.  It was delicious.  Worth it.

Weight down though 160.6.  Feel like middle might be getting more jiggly, but that may just be messed up perception, it's not like my pants don't fit. Tempted to measure, but will wait until the end of the challenge.  

I have also realized that I am the laziest about this goal.  If I go over, I don't really care that much, and I'm tracking after the fact as well.  This is probably bad for actual progress on losing fat, but probably good for determining how much I need to eat to stay relatively the same size (assuming that ends up being the case at the end of the challenge).

House Stuffs - Cleaned the kitchen counters, put away all the bottles and cans for recycling, did laundry but didn't put it away, cleaned night table.

I don't have notebook for workouts but highlights:

-Bench still improving slowly rep by rep, almost at the point to move up to 80 lbs, which I've never done before.

-OHP FINALLY increased the reps on this one.  So happy to see a little progress.

-Hamstring stuff is coming along fine - moved to single leg glute bridges and they are challenging.  Also need a bit more form work on sliding hamstring curls, but these are awesomely hard.  

-Accidentally doubled weight on the DB BSS and hit for 8 reps - I was wondering why things felt heavy and a little shaky, then realized I grabbed the 20's instead of the 10's.  I don't doubt I could increase weight faster on these and the lunges, but I've got some psychological hang ups about hurting my knees and not being able to do anything, especially with potential surgery looming.  I might try a heavier first set (I'm thinking 10-20 lbs heavier) and back off on the next two (what I've decided "working" weight is for that particular workout), still working up from 5 reps to 8 reps/set.  Might help get some confidence back.

-Need to foam roll more, been slacking and can feel the consequences

We are the same regarding food. "Oh, I'm over my goal? Let me go ahead and eat all this dried pineapple anyway. I'll log it though so it's okay." Anyway - trying to work through some of that attitude. My jiggly belly isn't going anywhere if I don't get my nutrition under control. Let me know if you make any progress!

I just recently acquired a foam roller! loving it.

Instagram | pinterest

Yay OHP success!!  I know any progress there is freaking awesome! Yay!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Well, I kind of went MIA there a bit.

I've been travelling for work literally non-stop for the last week and a half.  It's thrown my challenge for a bit of a loop, but I think I still made out okay.

WRAP UP TIME!!!

Goal 1 - Gym.

12 total outings.  Solid B

Goal 2 - Food.

I laugh at 1600 calories.  Getting under that didn't happen very often with being on the road and conferences and stuff.  I'm not hardcore enough, nor do I care enough to bring my own food, especially when there is free food available!

But here's my TDEE calculation for 5 weeks, which should be enough time to get a read on what I need to do a little differently to downsize a little jiggle. And that was the real goal anyways, so yay me.

Starting weight @ week 2 when I started tracking: 161.5

Ending weight: 162.2

Calories consumed: 71129 over 34 days (I didn't count Sunday's calories as I weighed first thing in the morning).

TDEE = 71129 - (0.7*3500)/34

=2019 cals/day TDEE.  Which is pretty close to at least one of the online calculators, which put me at 1993 at one point.  Now going forward, I'm going to eat under that.  Aim for 300-500 under and see what happens over the next month or so.

Goal 3 - Mobility/balance

13 specific sessions - B

Goal 4 - House stuff

4 extra things for a C.  To be fair, I haven't been home at all, so really the last couple weeks I had no opportunity.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this challenge and give myself a B and points and stuff.

I did forget to measure yesterday, but will take measurements as soon as I'm home again, which is in 4 days.  Not expecting much change anyways.

I probably won't have a challenge next time, but I'll be lurking around, and may even post in my very dead battle log from time to time.  Going to be following the diet plan above, and just keep on keepin' on.  NO LAZYBONES ALLOWED!

What a great challenge! Nice job logging your food. This was probably the single most important thing I could have done to start being more healthy. I'm sorry you have to travel so much! Hopefully you are able to experience new things, new foods, and maybe even new gyms?? ;)

you'll need to post your battle log url in here so i can keep up with you while you're in-between challenges!

Have a great week :D

Instagram | pinterest

Nice job!

Re your TDEE calcuations: So when I did some tracking for about six weeks I found that I'd maintain my weight (taking the average of fluctuations) at 2000, lost a pound the week I averaged 1900/day, and gained a pound the week I averaged 2100. Note that this calorie difference does not equal 3500 calories. On the other hand, I was mostly working on maintaining and so only kept those averages for a week, but I'd suggest dropping from 2000/day to 1900/day to see if you have the same results first -- no need to cut 500 calories a day if you can get results by cutting only 100, right?

ETA: Also, I'm not tracking anymore, but I think I'm now eating about what I was on days when I counted 2200-2400 and am maintaining at about the weight you're at now, so eating more might help with raising your metabolism. I was slightly under 150 when I was maintaining at 2000, but the BMR calculator says that the difference between maintaining that weight and 160 is 50-100 calories, so eating 200-400 more per day should have netted me more weight gain if my metabolism wants me to only eat 2000 to maintain my weight.

Yes'm, I'll post the battle log link here when/if I write something in it!

WQ - that is super interesting.  I wonder if the math might be a little different for girls?  I think that the body should perform as expected using science and maths, but that isn't always the case obviously.  I'm going to work on weekly averages, which is easier for me than day to day stuff.  That way if I'm over one day, it doesn't really matter, because I can be under the next day.  You're totally right about the merits of cutting by a smaller amount - if it works.  

I'm inclined to take a bigger jump first and then adjust upwards - I have seen before after a certain amount of time at 500 deficit, a big whoosh of weight (maybe not measurements, I don't know) loss after jumping back up to 1800 or 2000 or higher.

If the math is different for women it's probably due to women being more likely to have restrictive diets that slowed their metabolism some. (I mean, the math IS different because of hormones and things but BMR calculators should already take that into account.) Not eating enough is supposed to interfere with weight loss and I've also heard of trainers who convince their clients to eat more and the clients do and have weight loss progress after being stuck. Which makes cutting hard because if you're not losing weight it could be that you're eating too much and it could be that you're not eating enough. Whee!

Have you seen the timeline of progress on GoKaleo? She starts off at a not very in shape 230lbs and estimates her calories to be above 3000 per day. Five years later she's eating around 3000 calories and maintaining a pretty lean 170lbs. She does say that she was probably eating 4000 or more calories on some days and this is just an estimate, so it could just be the actual difference in how much she was eating, but still, her lower estimate for what she used to eat is the same as what she currently eats to be fit and 60lbs lighter. She also says she was eating 4000+ calories when she was 160lbs and training for a half iron man. So that's the difference being in good shape and making your metabolism faster makes.

That could definitely be it (the restrictive diet thing), but I haven't been super restrictive at all, I don't think.  Beer wins every time for me!  So I think my 2,000 cal number is probably right about right.  Especially because I'm definitely not working out as much as she is!

For those interested, I'll be posting (sporadically) here for the next bit:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/20981-masterofcows-becomes-masteroffitness/

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines