Hey Ranger Rebels,

I'm back for my third consecutive 6-Week Challenge! Let's get started!

RECAP TIME

8OJPPfp.jpg

Challenge 1:

Food tracking and lifting were the main goals. Tracking what I eat and aiming for specific calorie goals has become second nature at this point, so I'm going to leave it off the Goals list. I'll still post my daily calorie totals here because the public sharing of those numbers is a huge motivator to stay on track. I made great progress in my lifting but hit a stall on my bench press gains; I'd like to remedy that in this challenge.

Challenge 2:

Running was the biggest goal alongside lifting and eating well. I started the great Couch to 5K program at the beginning of that challenge, and I'll be wrapping it up by the end of next week. I look forward to branching out my running a bit more during this challenge.

In both of those previous challenges, I had the life goal of drawing several pages of the comic book I've kept on the back burner. Had I followed through on it I'd be done with the book by now, so finishing those 6 pages is something I'll get done or die trying.

AND THEN SOME MORE STUFF

And because I only seem to work well when things are insane, I'm going to add something on top: finishing the painting I started as a wedding gift for my sister and her husband, back in July. It's been almost two months since the wedding and I've barely started it: far past time to get the damn thing done.

New for this challenge is something that's eluded me since I moved out 5 years ago, and especially since I became a full-time freelancer three years ago; a regular sleep schedule. My sleep routine is a disaster right now, to the point where I've found myself sleeping for sixteen hours after a week of four-hour midday naps during all-night work benders. This is awful for me, and if I don't sort it out now it'll be even harder down the road.

So here's the breakdown for this challenge:

Main Goal:

Get under 200lbs, live an active lifestyle balanced with my work and friendships

Goal 1 (Primary for this challenge):

Run 5K in 35:00 (acceptable) or 30:00 (excellence)

Goal 2:

Get my 5RM bench over 175 lbs, and lift regularly at least twice a week through the challenge (2x/wk = acceptable, 3x/wk = excellence)

Goal 3:

Get up between 7 and 8 AM every weekday; get from 6-9 hours of sleep while doing so*

Life Goal:

Finish that painting, and draw 6 pages of my damn book! (and more if possible!)

I've got a Post-it note stuck on my mirror, with my motivation written on it: Spartan Sprint, May 14, 2014. It's a long-term goal. A short-term goal is to run a 30min. time in the annual Thanksgiving Day run coming up in November. 

So! This is day 1, let's see how I did.

Calories: 1823

Running: 15-minute run, with 100M dash at the end, plus cool-down walk. Not C25K.

Sleep: 2AM-8:30AM

It's a start!

My Current Challenge Log. Take a look!

Great goals and good to have you with the Renaissance Rebels! We'll help you stay focused on getting that painting done and progressing on your book! I hear you on the crazy hours of a freelancer...

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

It is awesome could do something with your hands as a present for a wedding (or whatever). I hope we could see something during the challenge - though I understand that sometimes it is difficult to share our works.

It seems that you are eating pretty well, 1800 Kcal are fine. Are you tracking your meals in private or are you posting them somewhere?

Welcome to the Reinaissance Rebels! :)

Human: Ranger

5 STR | 3 DEX | 5 STA | 4 CON | 2 WIS | 3 CHA

Current challenge: keep it simple

battle log | epic quest

Last challenges: ΜΟΛΩΠΛΑΒΕ | prepare to a half-marathon

MEMENTO MORI

Great goals and good to have you with the Renaissance Rebels! We'll help you stay focused on getting that painting done and progressing on your book! I hear you on the crazy hours of a freelancer...

Thanks, Laurel! I'm weirdly excited about the possibility of going to bed at the same time each night. It seems so exotic!

It is awesome could do something with your hands as a present for a wedding (or whatever). I hope we could see something during the challenge - though I understand that sometimes it is difficult to share our works.

It seems that you are eating pretty well, 1800 Kcal are fine. Are you tracking your meals in private or are you posting them somewhere?

Welcome to the Reinaissance Rebels! :)

I'm tracking my food on a Livestrong account, though I'm not sure how to make it viewable to others. I'll see if I can!

Your bench is crazy. Can't wait to see the progress :)

Would be nice to see your work too, but it's understandable if you don't want to share it.

Good start! Keep going :)

Aw, thanks! It's in the average range for somebody my height and weight, but who wants to be average? I'd love to blow this bench PR away within a couple challenges of now.

Great start. Glad to see you back at it. Let's knock this challenge out.

Hell yeah, let's DO it!

I also would love to see your work!  I understand the book probably has to be kept under wraps - but maybe the painting?   :)

I'll definitely be posting snippets from each page as I finish them, just as a proof of progress. Once the painting's done I'll see if they're OK with me sharing it online- I'm sure they will.

You're going to draw those pages. I'm going to be a gnat in your ear until you do.

Good goals! We gonna rock, rock, rock this challenge!

Thanks, Dirty! Let's rock.

Today- 

Calories: 1518

Lifting: None, though not due to slackin'. (See below)

Sleep: 1:30 AM-8:00 AM

No progress on the Life Goal, though today I participated in a 3-hour life drawing session. Life drawing's something I don't get to do often, though hopefully I can do it weekly for the near future. I skipped lifting today for this, since I can lift Thursday and Saturday and still meet my goal for the week.

I didn't know much about life drawing. It sounds an interesting experience, isn't it?

Good average of calories, and don't worry for the workout, it's only Wednesday, so tomorrow you can do it.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

You're off to a great start this challenge! Looking forward to seeing some of your work when you're ready to share and to hear how your weight session went.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Life drawing is awesome. I did it for most of the spring last year, it's such a great experience if a model is good.

It really is- and so much of it depends on the model. Fortunately the guy this session was great.

I didn't know much about life drawing. It sounds an interesting experience, isn't it?

Good average of calories, and don't worry for the workout, it's only Wednesday, so tomorrow you can do it.

It is! I'd recommend it if you're trying to stretch your art skills. I don't think it'd be much good for someone without any drawing foundation (I could be wrong), but I'm at a place where it's really making a great difference in the way I draw people.

The life drawing class sounds great.  Good luck on your lifts tomorrow!

Thanks!

You're off to a great start this challenge! Looking forward to seeing some of your work when you're ready to share and to hear how your weight session went.

Thanks, Laurel.

For Wednesday:

Calories: 1673

Exercise: C25K Week 8- 28min. run. It rained steadily the last half of the run, so I felt like a total badass. A totally soaked badass, anyway.

Sleep: 2AM-8AM.

I'll update with today's lifting and such this evening.

Always fun to feel badass. The best part is knowing that you get to go home where it's dry.

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

You've got to give yourself some leeway in compliance with your goals if something really good comes along.  Did you actually manage your lifting progress?

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Sorry for disappearing the last few days! I was hoping to catch up with posts over the weekend. I'm back now, though!

Always fun to feel badass. The best part is knowing that you get to go home where it's dry.

Ain't that the truth!  

You've got to give yourself some leeway in compliance with your goals if something really good comes along.  Did you actually manage your lifting progress?

Yeah, though I've found that I often give myself too much leeway, such that things never get done. And I did, at least for Thursday! Update below.

Can't wait to hear about your lifting progress :)

Hey Thunderneath.  Just checking in to ask how things are going?

Is getting sleep getting any easier?

Going OK- I was far too lazy over the weekend, and let my sleep goal lapse. Not good, as I'm having a heck of a time getting it back on track. Logging below:

Thursday last week:

Calories: 2374. BAD news. I did well most of the day- two good meals, and beef pho for dinner. It was after dinner, when the friends I was out with suggested getting gelato. Did you know? There's, uh, a lot of sugar in gelato. And cream. It's delicious. But not good for you.

Exercise:

Barbell Squat:
- 185 lb x 8 reps
- 225 lb x 8 reps

Body Weight Inverted Row (Let Me Ups):
- 8 reps
- 6 reps
- 7 reps
One-Arm Dumbbell Row:
- 40 lb x 8 reps
- 40 lb x 8 reps
- 40 lb x 8 reps
Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press:
- 40 lb x 8 reps
- 45 lb x 6 reps
Trail Running:
- 0:05:00 || flat
Preacher Curl:
- 45 lb x 10 reps
- 45 lb x 10 reps
- 50 lb x 10 reps
Ab Crunch Machine:
- 45 lb x 15 reps
Weighted Decline Sit-Up:
- 5 reps

Nothing like a personal record up in here. I've got a good friend who's really trying to get some structure in his life and wants regular workouts to be part of it. Only problem is, he's on the opposite end of the lifting spectrum from me- real skinny guy who doesn't eat well. So we've been working out the last couple Thursdays, just getting used to the bar and free weights, so I haven't pushed myself much when with him. Hopefully that'll change, but I need to count on the other lifting days of the week to make real progress for now.

Sleep: 2AM-8:30AM. 6.5hrs. Need to get up earlier.

Friday last week:

Calories:1832 (post-running peanut butter sandwich pushed me over my goal. That, or the whiskey. But I'd rather blame the sandwich)

Exercise: Week 8 of C25K- 28min. run, 2.25mi. Took a new trail that had some convenient signs marking distance, so now I know just how terribly slow I am! Still a good run. Cool thing- I got within a stone's throw of a really laid-back doe and fawn while I ran. Don't know if I've been that close to a live deer before. 

Sleep: 1AM-10AM- 9hrs.

Saturday:

Calories: N/A- day off

Exercise- I shoulda lifted today, but didn't. Like a chump! This is my biggest screw-up for Week 1.

Sleep- 3AM-1PM-10hrs. This is my second biggest screw-up. I slept too much, and far too late. I need to structure my sleep on weekends too, otherwise I'll let them screw up my whole week.

Sunday:

Calories: 1721

Exercise: N/A- rest day

Sleep: 3AM-12PM-9hrs. Still screwy. Setting my alarm for too early, and sleeping through it/hitting snooze. No real excuse beyond laziness though.

Monday:

Calories: 1746

Exercise: Week 9 of C25K- 30min. run. Same trail as Friday, mostly. I got a little lost and slowed to walking for about a minute after I had to cut across a field of tall grass to get back to my trail. 

Sleep: 2AM-11AM. 9hrs. Still screwy. My body's gotten used to starvation-mode/binging mode when it comes to sleep, and after I let it go on Friday night I'm having a hell of a time reining it in. Grr. Gonna try going to bed by midnight tonight and getting up early. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Also going to lift tonight. 

Life goal: Nooooooope. Tsk tsk!

Thanks, Vibrant! I really don't have a good excuse for the weekend lapse. I'll try to structure that as much as the weekdays and hopefully that'll keep me going.

Today:
Calories: 1369 (this seems low but I can't think of anything I missed...)
Exercise:
Barbell Deadlift:
- 255 lb x 8 reps
- 285 lb x 8 reps
- 315 lb x 7 reps
Lat Pulldown:
- 180 lb x 8 reps
- 160 lb x 8 reps
- 200 lb x 5 reps
Standing Military Press:
- 105 lb x 8 reps
- 105 lb x 8 reps
- 105 lb x 8 reps
Box Jumps:
- 10 jumps || 24 in
- 10 jumps || 12 in
- 10 jumps || 24 in

The box jumps are new to me. They kinda suck to do, but that's a sign I probably should keep doing 'em. Yup.

I'm thinking about your sleep habits. Have you thought about go to sleep before, instead of trying to program your alarm early when you are asleep at 3 AM. Maybe if you go to sleep at 11 PM at 8 AM you are awake and full of energy (sure). I don't know... you can also imitate the sleep habits of someone else (someone who sleeps enough, ha ha).

I understand you with the Kcal. Ice-cream, whiskey, and sandwiches. Hmm... hard, but I can see that you've been doing things better after those days.

And don't worry about exercise. Your fried would appreciate your help, and it's like an inversion. When he could feel more comfortable lifting weights, you two will improve much more quickly.

Good to see you again! I was surprised, because I saw how you were writing on everybody's threads but yours. I'm glad to read your own thread again.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

Don't worry about minor lapses as we all are susceptible to them. 

I agree about box jumps, they are strange. I try to do them on a truck tire, not sure why it is easier for me but it is. 

Keep it up, you are putting up some impressive numbers already. 

Thanks. I'm trying not to get too obsessive, but I also want to do well through the challenge.  The box jumps are definitely worth keeping in the routine; hopefully I'll be able to get some really good vertical going with time.

And thanks! I'm not sure that I'll gain a ton in numbers since I'm both eating at a deficit and running regularly, but I'll do what I can. Plus, that bench goal isn't going anyplace.

I'm thinking about your sleep habits. Have you thought about go to sleep before, instead of trying to program your alarm early when you are asleep at 3 AM. Maybe if you go to sleep at 11 PM at 8 AM you are awake and full of energy (sure). I don't know... you can also imitate the sleep habits of someone else (someone who sleeps enough, ha ha).

I understand you with the Kcal. Ice-cream, whiskey, and sandwiches. Hmm... hard, but I can see that you've been doing things better after those days.

And don't worry about exercise. Your fried would appreciate your help, and it's like an inversion. When he could feel more comfortable lifting weights, you two will improve much more quickly.

Good to see you again! I was surprised, because I saw how you were writing on everybody's threads but yours. I'm glad to read your own thread again.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I definitely do need to rethink the way I'm approaching sleep, as I slept through my alarm again this morning and didn't wake up till 11:30. I'm going to be in bed by midnight tonight, and put my alarm across the room so I have to actually get out of bed to turn it off.

Yeah, whiskey and ice cream aren't great food for weight loss. Both of 'em are infrequent indulgences for me, so they probably won't be popping up again.
I'm absolutely willing to take the time to workout with this friend, as long as he's motivated. It's kinda nice to be able to help somebody out with exercise for a change!
Thanks for keeping up on my thread! I tend to post on my own log after catching up on everyone else's, so it's often late at night.

And speaking of which:
Calories: 1765 (tomato soup for dinner! Perfect for a cold rainy day)
Exercise: Running/sprints; about 2.25mi.
This was supposed to be Week 9 of C25K again, but I flaked. Not quite sure why, as it's just a 2-minute increase from last week, but something in my brain's not letting me go all the way to 30. I know it's just mental, and it's really frustrating me. I ended up running about 20 minutes, then alternating walking/sprints in the rain on the way back. Still a good cardio workout, but not what I wanted.
Sleep: 2AM-11:30 AM. Those of you who are trying to get enough sleep every night probably hate me right now. I stayed up late to watch the Person of Interest Season 3 premiere. I shoulda just gone to sleep and been up by 8.

I'm wondering if part of your "oversleeping" is actually your body trying to get enough recovery from your weight workouts and running. 2 am to 11:30 am seems like a lot, but you've also had some 6 and 6.5 hour nights along with highly irregular patterns, so when you average things out it doesn't seem like you are that far off the 8 or 9 hours a night doctors recommend.

It may help to chart your body temp and heart rate for awhile to find out what your natural sleep rhythm is and to make sure that you aren't overtraining.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines