• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Probably the nerdiest thing about me is that I LOVE to watch anime.

Probably the thing that I DO most often is MOM stuff.

(in fact I am giving my daughter a bath right now!!.. well she is playing with toys in the bath.. I am sitting on the toilet next to her typing.)

I'd like to find other people who are dealing with marriage, kids, keeping up with nerdy past-times AND trying to get healthy (in whatever way you choose). Because if we are honest with ourselves our first priority is NOT fitness (what?!!). It is probably our families, but we can STILL do it!!

It is difficult, but not impossible.

There are days where you meet all of your goals, YES!!!

There are days where you barely make it out covered in finger paint and poop, Noooo!

So we... We who battle everyday to keep fitness in the mix. We who finally get the kids to bed and instead of collapsing on the couch choose to do push-ups or a work-out DVD... We can do it!!

Who is with me?? If you are participating in the 6 week challenge please let me know!

My nerdy tendencies (nerdencies?) -

Love watching animated superhero shows (Justice League, Avengers), with or without my kids.  Some may call them cartoons...

Love playing with Legos, mostly with the kids.

I have a 2 year old boy and a 4 year old girl, so I'm still waiting for them to get a little older so they can appreciate the good stuff with me.

I first found NerdFitness when my boy was about 4 months old and keeping us up at odd hours.  My son is a night owl and my daughter is an early bird, so we were getting very little sleep.  I figured if I was going to function on so little sleep, I would need to be in better shape.  I googled something along the lines of "what's the best exercise if you can only work out once a week".  It led me to Steve's Advanced Bodyweight Workout, because he says something about you may be so sore, you'll only want to do it once a week.

Anyway, I got hooked and haven't looked back.  I tried working out after the kids were in bed, but I was usually exhausted.  I started getting up a little earlier every day and now I'm up between 5 and 5:30 five times a week to work out.  It's hard, but I honestly feel great and love how easily I can wrestle with my kids now!

Thanks, turbo, for putting the group together!

I added us to the GoogleDoc in case anyone else wants to sign up:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnL943o3CTUvdHFDcDhISGQ2QUdLc3FDVjg1NHlmeUE#gid=7

Brute Squad Monk, and father of three.

Dark Junior

seb_small_zpsda905d2e.jpg

Eleven years old.  Diagnosed with juvenile idiopathic arthritis when he was four.  Was largely unable to walk until he was six and we found a chemical cocktail that worked.  Bounced around several medications, currently on powerful immunosuppresents, NSAIDS, prescription antacids and vitamin supplements. Started powerlifting with me, since he really needs some way to build muscle, since he's not very good at sports (when his knees DO work, he gets exhausted very easily), and he's still in the 95th percentile for height and weight.  Very very bright, loves video games (particularly Empire At War and Minecraft), and is back in ju-jitsu twice a week.

Princess Ninja

pn_small_zps3ac6b8ba.jpg

My oldest girl, seven and a half.  Extremely physically adept, we try our hardest to keep her in physical activities to capitalize on that.  Not a big fan of ORGANIZED sports, though, so we swim a lot and generally try to get her outdoors.  Can't wait to start powerlifting and taking ju-jitsu, as well! Loves UFC and American Ninja Warrior and wants to be the first Canadian woman to win on American Ninja Warrior. Very bright, very well-spoken, very friendly, and very red-headed, with everything that entails. Very artistically inclined (better than me, or my wife). 

Phee

pheesmall_zps663abab8.jpg

Wants to be a REAL Ninja Warrior when she grows up.  Or a Power Ranger.  Undecided. She's almost six, and is very much the dainty one in the family.  Wears fancy princess dresses every day (we have more than sixty of them, thank you Value Village), and loves sports, but out of all three of my kids she is clearly the one who is enduring the difficulties of ASD.  She was taking special children's neurological sessions because at the age of three she was speaking mostly on honks (proper cadence and everything, just... every syllable was a honk), couldn't use scissors, couldn't balance on one foot, etc.  By the end of that year she had leaped ahead in every category, and the instructor actually said the words "her IQ is off the chart", testing somewhere in the 150's.  Which, at that age, doesn't mean a LOT, but still.  We put her in French immersion and she's already doing next weeks assignments, and she started reading Young Adult chapter books over the summer. Extremely artistically inclined, with an output on the order of dozens of pictures per day.  Lately, she lives and breathes Adventure Time. Also, somehow doesn't have an Internet Name yet, like the other two.  

Science Nerd.  "Back off man, I'm a scientist!"  (name the movie for bonus points!)

Browncoat.  And Obi-Wan is my hero (episode III)

One web page I must look at every day: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

9yo nerdy son.  Not physically coordinated or athletically inclined, but he does enjoy riding his bike. Asked me to buy him a 'rock-paper-scissor-lizard-spock' shirt for his first day of school this year.

3yo monkey girl.  Climbs things (loves climbing me when I'm doing a workout), swings from anything she can grab hold of, dances and sings almost incessantly.  Loves shoes and twirly dresses.  

Challenge thread link in my signature.   :)

My brain isn't working very well at the moment because my little guy has been rallying against a virus for a few days. This means he's uncomfortable unless I hold him upright most of the night (currently typing with the brain of an insomniac and my one remaining hand). Yet, he is a shiny, happy, fellow at 5am. It's OK. I get cuddles while I watch episodes of firefly, red dwarf, dr who, torchwood and the like. I'll sleep again next week, right? Right?!?

Any who, I'm here and I'm equally excited and incoherent. More soon. I just felt a change in his position which hints at a deeper level of sleep for him and the possibility of a snooze for me.

Zzzzzz

Tenacious – Thank you very much for setting up the Google machine document. I feel like you need to be my second in command.. especially since you have now saved me from two technological perils to date.

I really admire that you have gotten to the point where you can get up so early AND before your kids. My daughter is still sleeping to at least 9 or 9:30 most mornings (THANK GOD). I have thought more than once that if I could just get up at 8 or even 8:30 I could get a work-out in. Better yet, if I could get up at like 6:30 I could be to the gym and back with time to spare by the time my daughter was up. Of course, that means my husband has to be home... which may be tough. I'll explain later.

My husband is already trying to get our 18 month old to appreciate “the good stuffâ€. They watched all 6 Star Wars movies last week.

Thrillho – You have some beautiful kids with some amazing personalities and stories. I read your bios for them and your love for them just shouts out!... Also I want Phee's shirt (also yay for girlie girls!!). Do you think Princess Ninja would like gymnastics??

Dr. Kate – Thanks for joining! My daughter tries to climb me like a jungle gym whenever she sees me doing push-ups, lol. If I do a work out DVD she chases me around trying to get me to pick her up and cries if I don't. Also, your son has great taste in T-shirts.

Joltzzz – Yea.. you can sleep next week ;) Sleep when he sleeps and hopefully you will both feel better soon.

A little bit about me and my fam...

IMG 20130903 184536 524

This is my daughter. She is 18 months old and I freakin LOVE HER!! She just blows me away everyday with how smart and beautiful and funny she is. I work full time nights on the weekends and my husband works and goes to school during the week. We lead a busy life, but we make time to be together. My husband and I are planning to get pregnant before the end of the year, so I'm really wanting to get as healthy as possible before that point. A link to my challenge is in my signature.

I'm looking forward to checking out your challenges!!! Hope week 1 is going well for you all.

Hello fellow parents, I am the father of a 5 yr and 7 month old girl, both of whom keep me very active

The 5 yr old is in dance, gymnastics and swimming, so she's a very active kid that loves American Ninja Warrior and "works out" for it whenever she gets the chance, mainly climbing up and over everything, loves doing the monkey bars and can do them better than most boys. We do a mud run together every spring and she has a blast with it

The 7 month old wants to be right in the middle of things while we are "working out" or doing something active and loves nap time in the jogging stroller

Yea Joltz my youngest is teething right now which makes nights loads of fun, so I'm with you on the whole no sleep dragging butt thing

Trill my daughter also has the goal of being the first woman ninja warrior

Oh yea we are doing a Halloween race and my daughter wants to dress up like super heroes for the race, it's going to be fun

Hi everyone!

I have an eight-month-old daughter and I feel like I revert to cliches when I talk about her ---- but it really does change everything about your perspective on life and your priorities. I already miss when she was smaller and she amazes me every day. I am glad to have found a group of fellow parents who will understand that feeling... and also that "basic" things like showers don't always happen right now!

I'm a big fan of computer games (point and click adventures, The Sims, MMOs, and MOBAs) but have barely played for the past year. I am on the lookout for things that can be paused.

My husband and I are planning to get pregnant before the end of the year, so I'm really wanting to get as healthy as possible before that point. A link to my challenge is in my signature.

It's amazingly motivating to feel like you have a limited window to get fit isn't it? If we have another baby (which we're thinking about) I really want my next pregnancy to be easier, and that's a big part of why I am here! :D ...because when I'm not focused on fitness, it's also easy to think of it as a limited window of time in which to drink lots of vodka and eat lots of soft cheeses. 

DJ TNP, my baby also has a tooth coming in, so I feel your pain... and your youngest daughter's pain. Here's hoping we both get to sleep tonight :)

DJ TNP, I have mixed feelings about teething littles. I feel terrible that they are in pain, but the drooling and gnawing on everything part is kind of amusing. Maybe I'm a terrible human being. My son is almost 20 months old and working on his premolars. Those are scary looking teeth. No doubt.

Turbo Tortoise and CatBee, I am also working toward an incubation transformation. Originally, I was thinking Jan/Feb 2014 when my son turns two, but I haven't been very focused on myself and will likely push that back to spring 2014. Before my pregnancy with my son, I spent a few years getting in great shape. I kept running and such through the first trimester and 1/2. People kept criticizing me for not gaining "enough" weight. Well, I guess that I took that to heart because they criticized me for gaining "too much" by the end. Honestly, I did gain more than I intended. I stopped looking at the scale when I passed the 50lbs gained mark. Just because I didn't look doesn't mean I didn't gain. My goal is not to do that again. Oh, and not to be so hard on myself.

By the way, all of you fellow parents have some cute kids and I loves reading about their personalities. Nerds of the future, unite!

Mine are 2 and 4.5 (he'd want me to include the half... :) ), and I've learned that I am a MUCH better mother when I make sure that I'm prioritizing self-care. For me, when I'm lifting regularly and taking that time, it translates into me feeling less frustrated and burned out by the overwhelming give give give give that is parenting small children. Plus, they see me being active and taking care of myself, which is making an impression on them.

The hard part has been when I've had to get out of my routine and miss workouts because one or the other of them was sick. Can't take a sick kid into the gym childcare! It's one of the reasons I want to build a small weight room area at home soon, so I can still get that time in. The other reason is that most gyms would never let kids use weights for liability reasons. I want them to grow up seeing me lift and learning alongside me if they're interested, so having our own space would be nice.

As far as other non-fitness things that are for me, we just moved to the same town as my ILs, and one of the reasons we wanted to do that was so that we could be able to have more flexibility about doing things sometimes while they have special time spent with their grandparents. Win, win. They are, of course, my priority, but I'm no good to anybody if I'm not taking care of myself. Part of that is making sure that I still have some things in my life that allow me to me Blueberries instead of always being Mom.

Good topic! It can be so hard, especially when they're little.

Hello fellow parents, I am the father of a 5 yr and 7 month old girl, both of whom keep me very active

The 5 yr old is in dance, gymnastics and swimming, so she's a very active kid that loves American Ninja Warrior and "works out" for it whenever she gets the chance, mainly climbing up and over everything, loves doing the monkey bars and can do them better than most boys. We do a mud run together every spring and she has a blast with it

The 7 month old wants to be right in the middle of things while we are "working out" or doing something active and loves nap time in the jogging stroller

Yea Joltz my youngest is teething right now which makes nights loads of fun, so I'm with you on the whole no sleep dragging butt thing

Trill my daughter also has the goal of being the first woman ninja warrior

Oh yea we are doing a Halloween race and my daughter wants to dress up like super heroes for the race, it's going to be fun

Hey DJ TNP! Welcome to the ranks. I'm super impressed with the kids!! Ninja, mud-running AND teething :playful: But seriously, I think it is so great that you can pass a passion for activity on to your kids. I'm sure your son only wants to get in the mix to be with you!! That will just grow into a love of exercise.

I hope we get to see pics of the Halloween run!!

Hi everyone!

I have an eight-month-old daughter and I feel like I revert to cliches when I talk about her ---- but it really does change everything about your perspective on life and your priorities. I already miss when she was smaller and she amazes me every day. I am glad to have found a group of fellow parents who will understand that feeling... and also that "basic" things like showers don't always happen right now!

I'm a big fan of computer games (point and click adventures, The Sims, MMOs, and MOBAs) but have barely played for the past year. I am on the lookout for things that can be paused.

It's amazingly motivating to feel like you have a limited window to get fit isn't it? If we have another baby (which we're thinking about) I really want my next pregnancy to be easier, and that's a big part of why I am here! :D ...because when I'm not focused on fitness, it's also easy to think of it as a limited window of time in which to drink lots of vodka and eat lots of soft cheeses. 

DJ TNP, my baby also has a tooth coming in, so I feel your pain... and your youngest daughter's pain. Here's hoping we both get to sleep tonight :)

Glad to meet you CatBee! Don't worry, showers don't elude you forever!!! Although I still can't take one when my daughter is awake without my husband home. No matter how much I tell her that I'm here and poke my head out of the curtain she still cries... I've given up. Even when my husband IS home I can barely go to the bathroom. She comes and knocks on the door like I've been in there 3 hours instead of 3 seconds. Honestly it just makes me laugh 99% of the time.

It is nice to have a window.. very motivating. However,  I have a very hard time controlling my food intake, so battling that has been much harder and longer than I had anticipated (I started when my daughter was 2 months old... she is 19 months now and I've only lost between 15-20lbs). I also gained a bunch more weight when I was pregnant than I thought I would.

All I can tell you is that the fight now is worth it. Give yourself some grace for the times when life is just crazy, but I truly feel I've implemented great changes in my relationship with food and propensity to exercise. When I look back i know it took me awhile and the fight continues, but it is better than accepting physically, spiritually and emotionally unhealthy habits.

DJ TNP, I have mixed feelings about teething littles. I feel terrible that they are in pain, but the drooling and gnawing on everything part is kind of amusing. Maybe I'm a terrible human being. My son is almost 20 months old and working on his premolars. Those are scary looking teeth. No doubt.

Turbo Tortoise and CatBee, I am also working toward an incubation transformation. Originally, I was thinking Jan/Feb 2014 when my son turns two, but I haven't been very focused on myself and will likely push that back to spring 2014. Before my pregnancy with my son, I spent a few years getting in great shape. I kept running and such through the first trimester and 1/2. People kept criticizing me for not gaining "enough" weight. Well, I guess that I took that to heart because they criticized me for gaining "too much" by the end. Honestly, I did gain more than I intended. I stopped looking at the scale when I passed the 50lbs gained mark. Just because I didn't look doesn't mean I didn't gain. My goal is not to do that again. Oh, and not to be so hard on myself.

By the way, all of you fellow parents have some cute kids and I loves reading about their personalities. Nerds of the future, unite!

Jolltzz I'm wondering what exactly you mean by incubation transformation. Does that mean getting healthier before you are pregnant, lol? I'm sorry I'm so clueless.

And I don't think you are cruel to laugh at the teething... If my daughter gets a really ugly cry going over something really silly (like I won't let her suck on a pen) I can't help but laugh. I think being a parent makes you a little cruel to be kind.

Mine are 2 and 4.5 (he'd want me to include the half... :) ), and I've learned that I am a MUCH better mother when I make sure that I'm prioritizing self-care. For me, when I'm lifting regularly and taking that time, it translates into me feeling less frustrated and burned out by the overwhelming give give give give that is parenting small children. Plus, they see me being active and taking care of myself, which is making an impression on them.

The hard part has been when I've had to get out of my routine and miss workouts because one or the other of them was sick. Can't take a sick kid into the gym childcare! It's one of the reasons I want to build a small weight room area at home soon, so I can still get that time in. The other reason is that most gyms would never let kids use weights for liability reasons. I want them to grow up seeing me lift and learning alongside me if they're interested, so having our own space would be nice.

As far as other non-fitness things that are for me, we just moved to the same town as my ILs, and one of the reasons we wanted to do that was so that we could be able to have more flexibility about doing things sometimes while they have special time spent with their grandparents. Win, win. They are, of course, my priority, but I'm no good to anybody if I'm not taking care of myself. Part of that is making sure that I still have some things in my life that allow me to me Blueberries instead of always being Mom.

Good topic! It can be so hard, especially when they're little.

Blueberries - I totally get wanting a weight room in your house. I thought my daughter had chicken pox (she had the vaccine, but you can still get a mild case of the pox even after that). I was out of the gym for a week! :nightmare:

My husband and I have talked a lot about moving closer to his parents. We really get along well with them, and we want them to be a part of our kids' lives. However, my husband is still in school here in n.c. It would be tough to move before his degree is complete, but I still find myself daydreaming about being able to drop my daughter off with trusted family before going to the movies...

I haven't been to the movies in months... I missed Into Darkness!!! What kind of nerd am I!!!? Oh the humanity!!

Tenacious - Your kids are freakin adorable!!!!!! =D

I hear a lot of that about the early days.  Between my girlfriend getting pregnant and giving birth, back in the day, I gained close to 70 lbs, and a further 30 over the first year, taking me from a fairly tall, well-proportioned 230 lbs to a fairly horrible 330 lbs. I stress-ate, and I had a LOT to be stressed about: college dropout who just got fired from a gas station, and I come home to find out my girlfriend is pregnant?  Yes, I think I'll sit in the corner and eat Ruffles for a few months, thank you.

Obviously, things turned around, but... it was a pretty lame first while there!  When the first one was born, yeah, showers were rare until we discovered that "HEY, little dude loves the shower!"  When he wouldn't sleep (every night), I had a lot of nice, long, warm 3am showers, and he'd hang out in my arm and eventually pass out.  Good times.

I didn't even start trying to turn my body around until my oldest was 8, and they were definitely the biggest reason I finally dragged myself out of depression and self-pity and all sorts of other things.  I got an bi-polar diagnosis, and JUST THE DIAGNOSIS was enough to make me see things differently, and start taking some action.  My kids have seen me lifting and running and eating healthy and it's rubbed off more than I could have ever hoped. 

SWORD FAMILY FOREVER

Thank you so much for posting that awesome comic, Thrillho, and also for the encouragement! Right now I can't hear too often that it gets easier. Stress-eating was a big thing for me during the end of my pregnancy and the past few months... and it's turning me into a big thing.

I haven't been to the movies in months... I missed Into Darkness!!! What kind of nerd am I!!!? Oh the humanity!!

We missed it too! My husband and I were so sad!

we love nerf swords and light sabers in our house too lol

OMG Trill I had an ex g.f that I though I knocked up and was working at a shitty temp job at the time; yea that put some weight on me; thankfully she wasn't and gave me all the reason to turn my life around, still was fat but went back to school and cleaned up my act a lot

Didn't into the darkness just come out on dvd? I might redbox it for a $1 just to check it out

I didn't turn my life around until she got knocked up.  I was drifting from crappy job to crappy job, spent all my time playing video games, spent all my money on booze and chips, and generally having FUN, but not being very useful. As a direct consequence of her getting pregnant, I ended up getting the government to pay for me to go back to university and get my degree (the lady in the bed NEXT TO MY GIRLFRIEND, her husband ran the program in town, and told me exactly what I needed to do).  I turned the LIFE part around, and now I'm turning around the BODY part that I neglected for so very long.  

Man, at least once per day we have to shout "NO SWORDFIGHTING IN THE LIVING ROOM", because two of my three kids pack a MEAN wallop and have no aim.  We've lost a couple lamps over the years.

Here's my youngest using a lightsaber, after watching me lift weights with my new home-built weight bench / squat rack (man, I miss that thing). 

powerbaby.jpg

And my girls being METAL with the NEW bench. :D

metalligirls_zps45666ed1.jpg

All right, accountability time! I need you guys to keep on me about putting my phone away when I get home. I had this vision last night of my kids looking back at their childhood and remembering me always looking at my phone. I pictured the old cliche of the dad with his head in the newspaper ignoring his family. Sobering thought for me.

Thanks in advance!

I hope it's not too late to join you guys! I'm a mom of four that plays DnD, and has her kids into Lego and board games :) My girl is nine, and my three boys are 7, 5 and 2. It's a loud house!

I hope it's not too late to join you guys! I'm a mom of four that plays DnD, and has her kids into Lego and board games :) My girl is nine, and my three boys are 7, 5 and 2. It's a loud house!

Welcome! :D

Have you ever watched any of the PAX DnD games that they record? My husband just discovered those videos a couple of weeks ago and he kept waking the baby up laughing... (if you do look them up, be warned they're not kid appropriate at all, but that's why they're hilarious)

. I had this vision last night of my kids looking back at their childhood and remembering me always looking at my phone. I pictured the old cliche of the dad with his head in the newspaper ignoring his family. Sobering thought for me.

Always scared the hell out of me.  Welcome! :D