• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I am already in 2 other accountabilibuddy groups.. but I am a parent of a 7 yr old boy and I have a baby on the way. So, this seemed liek a good time to meet some other nerdy parents.

I am already in 2 other accountabilibuddy groups.. but I am a parent of a 7 yr old boy and I have a baby on the way. So, this seemed liek a good time to meet some other nerdy parents.

Kilana, Loki, and lamatt, I'm glad to see more nerdy parents here.  So how did everyone do this weekend?  Any thoughts on some group mini challenges or fantastic entertainment geekiness?

Tenaciousglee, how are you doing with the limited phone time?  I'm still working on that one too.

Katbee, Incubation Transformation is my term of endearment for pregnancy. I went from a loose size 4 to a tight 16 so transformation occurred without a doubt. 

Tenaciousglee, how are you doing with the limited phone time?  I'm still working on that one too.

Thanks for asking!  I did pretty bad over the weekend.  I think I need to set an allotted window on Sat/Sun where I can have it out and then put it away the rest of the time.  Last night was better, though it was still a struggle between wanting to check my phone and willing myself not to.

Is it to late to join this group ?

I am a mum of 3 ASD sons, we are a family of roleplayers (AD&D 2nd edition), Computer nerds (MUDs), book lovers and my youngest also enjoys fitness.

I hear a lot of that about the early days.  Between my girlfriend getting pregnant and giving birth, back in the day, I gained close to 70 lbs, and a further 30 over the first year, taking me from a fairly tall, well-proportioned 230 lbs to a fairly horrible 330 lbs. I stress-ate, and I had a LOT to be stressed about: college dropout who just got fired from a gas station, and I come home to find out my girlfriend is pregnant?  Yes, I think I'll sit in the corner and eat Ruffles for a few months, thank you.

Obviously, things turned around, but... it was a pretty lame first while there!  When the first one was born, yeah, showers were rare until we discovered that "HEY, little dude loves the shower!"  When he wouldn't sleep (every night), I had a lot of nice, long, warm 3am showers, and he'd hang out in my arm and eventually pass out.  Good times.

I didn't even start trying to turn my body around until my oldest was 8, and they were definitely the biggest reason I finally dragged myself out of depression and self-pity and all sorts of other things.  I got an bi-polar diagnosis, and JUST THE DIAGNOSIS was enough to make me see things differently, and start taking some action.  My kids have seen me lifting and running and eating healthy and it's rubbed off more than I could have ever hoped. 

SWORD FAMILY FOREVER

Getting a diagnosis is sometimes like... Ok.. I've been climbing and climbing this mountain my whole life and suddenly someone took the blind-fold off! Even though you still have to climb at least you can look for your hand and foot holds now. Really congratulations on getting fit both mentally and physically.

Thank you so much for posting that awesome comic, Thrillho, and also for the encouragement! Right now I can't hear too often that it gets easier. Stress-eating was a big thing for me during the end of my pregnancy and the past few months... and it's turning me into a big thing.

lol.. omg I know how you feel... Everyone kept telling me "oh.. eat whatever you want.. you are pregnant. This is the only time you will have the excuse!!" I kept up the hard work for maybe the first half of my pregnancy (nausea helped), but then I started taking everyone's advice and ate like food was going out of style. I wound up gaining 45lbs weighing in at 207. I felt disgusting after my daughter was born. THEN everyone kept telling me that if I just breastfed then I would lose the weight. Did that work? NOPE. 2 months after my daughter was born the scale said 212... That is 5lbs MORE than I weighed at 9 months pregnant.

Since then it has been a total roller coaster ride to balance my daughter, my marriage, job, church AND getting healthy. All my life I've used food to make myself feel better when I'm angry or stressed or bored. Trying to change my attitude towards food WHILE going through stressful changes?!! That isn't going to go quietly into the night..

I'm down to 192 now (my daughter is 19 months). All I can say is that IT IS TOTALLY WORTH IT! Even though sometimes I feel like I should be much farther than I am right now... It could be so much worse. I could have never even started.. or gained more. Even if the scale says I haven't lost as much weight as I should have I can tell you that my attitude towards food is soooo much better than when I began. I eat fruit and veggies now! I can't finish a whole pizza anymore without feeling sick!! That to me is more important than what the scale says because it is a lifestyle change.

Every step you take in the right direction is AWESOME!

Don't be! It sucked! You saved your money! Victory!

Haaa... Well I think I'm gonna hafta redbox it at this point (thanks DJ TNP). Even if it sucks we can't miss it.. We are star trek fans through and through. =) Besides Chris Pine!!! Need I say more, ladies?!!

we love nerf swords and light sabers in our house too lol

OMG Trill I had an ex g.f that I though I knocked up and was working at a shitty temp job at the time; yea that put some weight on me; thankfully she wasn't and gave me all the reason to turn my life around, still was fat but went back to school and cleaned up my act a lot

It is amazing how kids make you clean up your act. My dad even told me that he quit smoking when I was born. I had more motivation to take care of my body. I'm a labor and delivery nurse. I see a lot of unintended pregnancies, but I guess there is a reason for everything.

Also.. I have a wicked awesome light saber at my house that lights up and makes all kinds of battle sounds!! I'm gonna hafta go play with it after this! Oops.. I hafta go to the grocery store. =( Parent problems. Can't play with my light saber because I've got to buy groceries BOOOO.

I didn't turn my life around until she got knocked up.  I was drifting from crappy job to crappy job, spent all my time playing video games, spent all my money on booze and chips, and generally having FUN, but not being very useful. As a direct consequence of her getting pregnant, I ended up getting the government to pay for me to go back to university and get my degree (the lady in the bed NEXT TO MY GIRLFRIEND, her husband ran the program in town, and told me exactly what I needed to do).  I turned the LIFE part around, and now I'm turning around the BODY part that I neglected for so very long.  

Man, at least once per day we have to shout "NO SWORDFIGHTING IN THE LIVING ROOM", because two of my three kids pack a MEAN wallop and have no aim.  We've lost a couple lamps over the years.

Your kids are too funny!! And no problem getting help going to school.. That is what those programs are FOR!! The only thing that gets me steamed is people who use goverment resources like leaches.. they have no intention of bettering themselves. =/ Sorry I'll stop rant NOW.

Sry i had to take the pics out. Somehow it wouldn't let me post with them.

All right, accountability time! I need you guys to keep on me about putting my phone away when I get home. I had this vision last night of my kids looking back at their childhood and remembering me always looking at my phone. I pictured the old cliche of the dad with his head in the newspaper ignoring his family. Sobering thought for me.

Thanks in advance!

You have inspired a new mini challenge!!!!! =D

Welcome! :D

Have you ever watched any of the PAX DnD games that they record? My husband just discovered those videos a couple of weeks ago and he kept waking the baby up laughing... (if you do look them up, be warned they're not kid appropriate at all, but that's why they're hilarious)

Haha. I used to watch Buffy: The Vampire Slayer when I was home with my daughter. She started waking up in the middle of the night.. I was convinced she was having nightmares from a specially spooky/violent episode of Buffy. We switched my My Little Pony after that... Which I suprisingly enjoy.

Kilana, Loki, and lamatt, I'm glad to see more nerdy parents here.  So how did everyone do this weekend?  Any thoughts on some group mini challenges or fantastic entertainment geekiness?

Thanks for the heads up  Joltzzzzz..... Mini challenge in the making

Loki: Yes!!! Super Hero onesies welcome (even on adults)!

Kilana: Welcome!! You could hear a pin drop at MY house.. just saying AND I didn't just see my daughter playing with her boogers. That was a complete and utter lie. :playful:

Trusylver: Nope!! Welcome!

Lamatt122: I hear that! Welcome!

it's to find Dawsy, basically go out and scout; I basically took it as, don't do the same normal routes as I would normally run; but that's just me.

That's the Scouts' mini-challenge.  Each of the guilds has one.  It sounded like Turbo was dreaming up one just for our Nerd Parents group.

Ok... So MINI CHALLENGE

Option 1:

Choose a period of 2 hours when you are not asleep.

Turn your phone off and put it AWAY (sock drawer, car glove compartment, your spouse's purse or pocket when they are on their way out for a few hours). Don't fill this time with other electronic stuff (video games, computer, tv).

Focus on interacting with your family (kids, wife/husband, dog). Really try to listen/speak/play with them. Don't go into your little head space.

Report on how it went!!

Option 2:

Take a notebook or piece of paper.

Write down all of the names of you family members (at your discretion).

Over the weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) write down one positive thing about each one of them.

Before the due date share these things with your family (individually or together).

You may also pick three days that are not the weekend if that works better.

Let us know how it went!

Other Stuff:

Reports due by Thursday, October 3rd.

Don't stress!!! This isn't mandatory. It is more of a fun/developmental exercise.

FYI everyone. Sorry about my scant posts over the weekend. I work Fri-Sun overnights, so unless work is slow I can't get online. I'm either working or sleeping until Monday night. Also, to top it all off this week has been a tough one for me. Me, my hubby and my daughter are all sick :nightmare: with some kind of blech. Not GI stuff so don't worry about any of that... just run of the mill cold/flu whatever. We just have to get over it. This is notorious for me... I ALWAYS get sick when I'm building some momentum... ack!!

Either way I'm excited to catch up on your challenges and update mine. GO NERD PARENTS!!!! patent pending.

Can one more join?? 

I have three little monkeys of my own ages 6, 4 & 2. It's crazy around here and I love it. 

I love the mini challenge of putting down the phones more as that is one of my goals for the whole 6 weeks and I really like the challenge of giving a compliment to each family member!  

I need help with food - low on money, have picky kids but need to improve our eating habits drastically. Right now it's 90% noodles and bread blech!

I  make it a point to, except for homework, stay off the computer between the time I get home from work, and the kids' bedtime, partly because I get so little time to see them during the week anyways, and partly to counterpoint the fact that my wife spends pretty much 3pm to 11pm glued to her computer (and sometimes more than one computer at the same time). It started off as leading by example, but I've given up on that. So I think I passed the first one. 

The second one is doable :) 

Hmmm, for the mini Challenge

Option One - I only use my phone to receive emergency calls from my kids school so with it being school holidays my phone has been off for a week and I spend a lot of time with my kids including DMing their 2nd Edition AD&D game.

Option Two - The writing down off good stuff was easy but Trying to talk to teenagers about this sort of stuff, I just got the "Are you crazy" stare and the We all know we are good comment, this includes my husband who is really just a big kid :D

Hit a slow(er) point at work so YAY.

Can one more join?? 

I have three little monkeys of my own ages 6, 4 & 2. It's crazy around here and I love it. 

I love the mini challenge of putting down the phones more as that is one of my goals for the whole 6 weeks and I really like the challenge of giving a compliment to each family member!  

I need help with food - low on money, have picky kids but need to improve our eating habits drastically. Right now it's 90% noodles and bread blech!

You are more than welcome!! Disclaimer that I have no idea of actual accountabilibuddies rules or how to add new spaces on the google spreadsheet.

I struggle with finances and healthy eating too. It is especially tough since my husband doesn't want to eat most of the healthy stuff I buy, so I cut what I can in the unhealthy catergory (ice cream, cake, cookies.. mostly sweet stuff he doesn't really want) but I'm still stuck with buying corn dogs, microwave burritos and ingredients for chicken and dumplings a la crock pot. Otherwise, he just doesn't eat.. I'm not kidding. He won't even EAT. I don't understand this. I cannot go 3 hours without food. 

He won't even go out to eat either since money is tight and he knows that. I guess that is good in a way. I'm taking a page our of Thrillho's book and trying to lead by example and hope he catches on. Some stuff he has.. like he eats avocados now and broccoli and cauliflower. If I put it on his plate he normally eats it. Like I'll put apple slices with eggs on his plate instead of toast in the morning, but I have to CUT the apple and put it there. :rapture: You win son you lose some. Yea, he might change if I nag him to death, but then he also might despise me. I'd rather let him eat corn dogs. Also, it is more likely to stick if he changes for himself.

Anyway... my advice is to stop buying the junkie stuff to the best of your ability. If you buy noodles, then the kids ask for noodles, they refuse to eat anything else and... hey.. as a mom you make noodles. If you don't buy it they might eat nothing for a meal.. but that will end quickly. Even if all they eat is an apple.. that is better than a pack of ramen. Maybe they will still be hungry and eat 2 apples... ooooo aaaahh.

Don't think about it as saying, "No", think about it as saying, "Yes". YES you can eat as much as you want... you can eat a bowl full of broccoli!! How many times have you heard people say, "Well my mom always served dessert so I've gotta have it." We are the first line of defense whether we like it or not. The sooner/younger you start the better.

The other thing I do that works is if I EAT HEALTHY STUFF. If I sit down with a corn dog my daughter wants a bite. If I sit down with a cut up kiwi... my daughter wants a bite. If I'm eating it and have not offered it to her.. she wants it. Kids are programmed to immitate us. They figure.. hey... my mom is still alive and healthy enough to have kids, she must be doing something right! I hope this is helpful.

I  make it a point to, except for homework, stay off the computer between the time I get home from work, and the kids' bedtime, partly because I get so little time to see them during the week anyways, and partly to counterpoint the fact that my wife spends pretty much 3pm to 11pm glued to her computer (and sometimes more than one computer at the same time). It started off as leading by example, but I've given up on that. So I think I passed the first one. 

The second one is doable :)

Kudos! I try to keep the TV off as well. My phone is not all that tempting, but facebook or TV on the other hand... I feel like my daughter is growing so fast and I have this precious window to teach and influence her.. to snuggle her and play with her. Sometimes I'm exhausted and she is cranky too.. in that case when she asks for "Tonies" I let her watch (aka "My Little Pony"), but I don't want that to be the norm.

Can't wait to hear about how your mini challenge went!!

Hmmm, for the mini Challenge

Option One - I only use my phone to receive emergency calls from my kids school so with it being school holidays my phone has been off for a week and I spend a lot of time with my kids including DMing their 2nd Edition AD&D game.

Option Two - The writing down off good stuff was easy but Trying to talk to teenagers about this sort of stuff, I just got the "Are you crazy" stare and the We all know we are good comment, this includes my husband who is really just a big kid :D

Lol on the teenagers thing. Even if they look at you like you are crazy you know it still feels good. I felt like I had to have that look on my face as a teen, but it still encouraged me. It seems like you have a pretty great relationship with your kids, though!! Nice!

I was really good yesterday stayed off the phone & computer for like 4 hours but today I'm failing - in my defence I'm setting up all of our homeschool stuff for this week and it's the first we we are doing of this year it's taking lots of thought and time. 

Mini-challenge update:

I enjoyed a 2+ hour session of no-phone-time yesterday afternoon.  I didn't turn it off, but I did put it away.  After extended naps, the family went out for a walk/bike ride around the neighborhood and then my son and I came back inside and played with his train set until my daughter got jealous and interrupted, which turned into wrestle/tickle time.  We played until dinner and then had a nice meal together.  The best part of the meal is that both kids ate everything on their plates without complaining or stalling, which means Mom and Dad didn't have to stress!

that's one good thing in my house is that there isn't much my kids won't eat, so I don't have to worry about them only eating, mac and cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets and hot dogs. The one actually loves stir fry with rice, which I'm happy about

We didn't really get a chance just to hang out this weekend, but we did spend most of Sunday outside in the yard, trying to get things winterized as she played, but I did take breaks where we caught crickets and did some other things. We also pulled veggies out of the garden, which she enjoys.

Success today on turning off the phone for 2 hours. I don't turn it off but I do silence it and hide it under the pillows. 

I have one kid that likes to eat only noodles and I've started getting her okay with new things but she's picky for no reason and the other 2 will eat almost anything depending on their mood that day. Funny thing is though they go to grandma's and they'll eat super good for her all veggies decent portions of meat but they come home I offer the same thing and nope won't eat it. Most people say baking tastes better when grandma makes it, my kids say fruits and veggies are better at grandma's house! So frustrating!!

My youngest would pretty much eat rice and noodles... and nothing else.  Only rice and noodles.  For years.  VERY hard to get other things into her.  Many tactile issues which ended up being related to the food, and when we started to work on those more directly, she became significantly less picky with the food.  Does she have any other tactile issues?  Problems with kinds of clothing, hair brushing, teeth brushing, anything like that?