• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I was really good yesterday stayed off the phone & computer for like 4 hours but today I'm failing - in my defence I'm setting up all of our homeschool stuff for this week and it's the first we we are doing of this year it's taking lots of thought and time. 

It is crazy how our devices can suck us back in. After all, we buy them to do a job.. whether that is entertainment or to help us with work. Sooner or later the reason we bought them for pops up again. Great job with the time off, though, and I'm glad it went well.

setting a 3 hour no tech time into my calendar......right now

I put 3 hours aside every 4 days! I thin that is a good start

NICE!! I can't wait to see how you spend your tech free periods. Good luck!

Mini-challenge update:

I enjoyed a 2+ hour session of no-phone-time yesterday afternoon.  I didn't turn it off, but I did put it away.  After extended naps, the family went out for a walk/bike ride around the neighborhood and then my son and I came back inside and played with his train set until my daughter got jealous and interrupted, which turned into wrestle/tickle time.  We played until dinner and then had a nice meal together.  The best part of the meal is that both kids ate everything on their plates without complaining or stalling, which means Mom and Dad didn't have to stress!

Great job! Did you find you were always thinking.. I should check my phone? That happens to me sometimes. It is like a reflex to reach for it.

Sometimes I think my daughter says no or gives me a hard time at meals just to get more attention. If I spend time with her otherwise (like in a positive way..teaching her, playing with her) she seems to do better. OR it could just be that your kids were tuckered out from all the fun and were just hungry. :redface:

that's one good thing in my house is that there isn't much my kids won't eat, so I don't have to worry about them only eating, mac and cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets and hot dogs. The one actually loves stir fry with rice, which I'm happy about

We didn't really get a chance just to hang out this weekend, but we did spend most of Sunday outside in the yard, trying to get things winterized as she played, but I did take breaks where we caught crickets and did some other things. We also pulled veggies out of the garden, which she enjoys.

I think it is good to bring your kids on responsibilities that have to get done. All of life can't revolve around playing with them. Mixing in some cricket catching time helps =). Sounds like you really try to get your kids into what you as adults are into and them respond well. Awesome.

Also kudos on no picky eaters. My daughter won't eat meat or anything too savory yet. She eats cashews, pistacios and natural peanut butter, fruit, dairy and some veggies. I'm pretty happy with that for now. I'd rather her eat meat than dairy, but whatever. At least she eats eggs. I try to keep her away from the traditional empty calorie loaded kid stuff like juice, fruit snacks and crackers. The only bread she eats on a regular basis is some cheerios on the run and occasional oatmeal for breakfast.

The biggest challenge for me is not making her eat her food. I want her to eat what I put in front of her, but at the same time I don't want her to eat if she isn't hungry. I want her to learn to listen to her body. I grew up learning that eating was rarely just for nutrition and most often for recreation or emotional support. I want her not to be food-focused. It is hard to mix the two. For example, she says she is done with dinner, but she hasn't eaten that much. I'll make her eat one more bite, but then let her down. An hour later she points to a yogurt wanting to eat it. Is she hungry or just wanting to eat the yogurt because it tastes good?? When I chose to say no I wonder if she isn't getting enough food. I console myself by thinking... if she had too much of a calorie defecit she will eat more tomorrow. Plus, she still drinks milk multiple times a day.

About your other post, Are you saying that you wind up fighting over how the homework gets done??

Success today on turning off the phone for 2 hours. I don't turn it off but I do silence it and hide it under the pillows. 

I have one kid that likes to eat only noodles and I've started getting her okay with new things but she's picky for no reason and the other 2 will eat almost anything depending on their mood that day. Funny thing is though they go to grandma's and they'll eat super good for her all veggies decent portions of meat but they come home I offer the same thing and nope won't eat it. Most people say baking tastes better when grandma makes it, my kids say fruits and veggies are better at grandma's house! So frustrating!!

That would frustrate me!!! I miss my mom and my husband's parents because they live far from us, but I don't miss this kind of thing happening. I wonder if you could start making them like grandma.. lol. I remember for me the "way grandma made stuff" sometimes would even mean which pot she used or how she put it on the plate... kids....

Keep trying with your noodle-eater. They say kids have to try stuff like 10 times before they really know if they like it or not. I keep trying to feed my daughter meat with no success, but I'm sure one day she'll eat it. A mom can dream... I also think Thrillho may have a point. It could be a tactile thing. A occupational therapist may be able to help if that is the case.

Great job on the no-phone time!!

Conviniently my phone went dead because I didn't plug it in last night, so I left it home for 4 hours while we went out and had our "family time". We went out and grabbed some pizza (great ny pizza.. the only place I've found here in north carolina). I limited myself to two slices and a BIG salad.. it was yummy!!! My daughter kept reaching for my salad.. then she would take a bite of something and spit it out, lol. I guess she was attracted by the bright colors. My husband kept getting ticked because she would spit it onto the floor, but I kept on letter her taste it.

We went to a nearby park. That sucked because it was so freakin hot!!! Come-on north carolina. It is supposed to be fall!! I convinced my husband to go to our greenway (a community walking path) where it is shady and probably got at least a mile of walking in. My daugther was at the brink nap-wise at that point. At one point she wanted to push the stroller. We let her. She took two nose-dives and then had enough.

It was great to spend some family time especially without my phone. I'm about to sign off and go to the gym for my kick boxing class!! yay!! First work out after being sick. Wish me luck!

I missed it =( The class starts at 6pm. I arrived at 6:20 so they wouldn't let me in. I got some swimming in, though, and a little extra cardio... a little swim time with my baby girl too.

It is super warm by me. It is only chilly in early morning and after the sun goes down. I'm really wanting it to be crispy cold all day long!! I love the fall... its barely here.

How is everybody doing? What is going well in your challenge? Not so well??

Eating better/bringing food to work, check

Organizing, meh, it's getting better

Getting up early, not so much, now that things are somewhat back to normal I plan on getting back on track with that

Sneaking in work outs, check

Any other parent have issues finding time to work out on the weekends? I just can't seem to find the time; so I'm planning on doing my long run on Friday, that way I only have to find time for a quick 4-5 milers (30mins -45 mins) instead of trying to find an hour or so.

I love swimming with my kids. I need to call the Y and sign up for next sessions classes, thanks for reminding me

Not bad, not bad.  Does anyone else here have a spouse / significant other who is, perhaps, not as patient with the kids as they should be?  How do you deal with it without being confrontational, or getting the kids caught in the middle?

Eating better/bringing food to work, check

Organizing, meh, it's getting better

Getting up early, not so much, now that things are somewhat back to normal I plan on getting back on track with that

Sneaking in work outs, check

Any other parent have issues finding time to work out on the weekends? I just can't seem to find the time; so I'm planning on doing my long run on Friday, that way I only have to find time for a quick 4-5 milers (30mins -45 mins) instead of trying to find an hour or so.

I love swimming with my kids. I need to call the Y and sign up for next sessions classes, thanks for reminding me

I still want to wake up early before my kids, but I'm scared to make it a goal again because I NEVER DO IT! I just want to sleep until the last possible second. As I stated earlier in this thread in reference to Tenacious' early morning work-outs... I would have around 2 hours to get a work out in if I woke up by 7 or so... Unfortuantely I get into a lot of late night netflix/hulu sessions with my hubby. I have trouble resisting.

The pool is FABULOUS. It has helped my daughter to enjoy the water and I'm sure it is good for her development. Also I love it because it is low resistance exercise, great stretching and I just love swimming. =)

Not bad, not bad.  Does anyone else here have a spouse / significant other who is, perhaps, not as patient with the kids as they should be? How do you deal with it without being confrontational, or getting the kids caught in the middle?

I have no clue, other than saying to the person in private "would you have wanted to be treated this way as a kid?"

my problem is trying to convince an s.o. that never really worked out that yes working out sucks, but it's good for you

I agree with Frost... You really need to discuss it without the kids around. It is going to be a tough conversation anyway, but if you preface it with some things you admire about her parenting or committment to your family that kind of softens the bad. Also, give her room to say how she feels.. It will help you understand her actions and give her a little grace AND it will make her feel better and more receptive to what you have to say.

For example you could say, "I notice when the kids do *insert here* you seem to get extra upset. I want to know what we can do together so you don't get so upset." This gives her plenty of room to talk.

Most of all remember you guys are a team. It isn't a win/losey argument (I'm right! No I'm right!!). You need to work together.. especially when you are outnumbered by the kiddles. The great thing would be to come up with effective strategies you agree on. Like.. I will have the kids bathed and in bed by the time you get home. If I need a break I will yell APRICOTS (anyone? Anyone? New girl?)... That means you need to come and take over so I can go count to 10. In my house my husband knows if I throw something across the room or hollar at my daughter once... He is tapped in. No matter what!!

I hope this helps and that coming up with these plans will bring you two together =). Do you guys have the same parenting goals? That is another great thing to talk about so you can compare your actions/plans to the goals.

Just wanted to give you guys an update on ME. I'm super duper pumped since I actually did 15 push-ups in a row Sunday!! 40 total!! That is a PR for me. Also, I think I have tennis elbow from it, lol. Don't know how that is possible, but my tendons were pretty painful when I tried again today.

Also.. I'm at my in-laws place which is hella-awesome! I totally love them (I know I am super duper blessed). The big issue for me this week is food temptations. They eat out very often, and even the food cooked tonight was not too great. Lots of delicious southern comfort food.. serious mac and cheese, potato salad, green beans in bacon and swimming in butter... oh man... it is all so good!

I stumbled a little today.. ate some of everything and a little cake. Otherwise I've been pretty proud of myself. Straight off the plane Monday they brought us to a chinese buffet *gasp*. That is a serious weakness for me. I only ate salad (dipped in a little bit of dressing), tons of fruit and veggies and some sushi.. Considering the other options available I'm pretty happy.

Awesome job TT

Yea I love sleeping in too, I love the fact that pre-kids sleeping in on the weekends was to 10am now I feel lucky if the kids let me sleep in until 8:30, most morning it's 7 or slightly earlier

I really think the key to relationships is communication, which is something I need to work on, but when I do try to communicate it does help

I stumbled a little today.. ate some of everything and a little cake. Otherwise I've been pretty proud of myself. Straight off the plane Monday they brought us to a chinese buffet *gasp*. That is a serious weakness for me. I only ate salad (dipped in a little bit of dressing), tons of fruit and veggies and some sushi.. Considering the other options available I'm pretty happy.

Awesome job!! Takeout Chinese food is a huge weakness of mine so I really respect this accomplishment... but it was also our first clue that my husband has a problem with processed grains... feed him an order of General Tso's, and he falls over asleep like a narcoleptic an hour later. He spent a lot of my pregnancy picking up food for me that he couldn't share, haha.

Re: patience with the kids, it's only the one baby for us right now but I have been the impatient one a lot of the time. Usually something else that I feel like I must do right now is on my mind, and if I can give that task to someone else, I feel better. I'm also working on realizing that things like dirty dishes aren't actually an emergency.

Usually something else that I feel like I must do right now is on my mind, and if I can give that task to someone else, I feel better. I'm also working on realizing that things like dirty dishes aren't actually an emergency.

AMEN!! That has helped me a ton... some perspective. I have the tendency to work and work and work. My husband complains because I can barely watch a tv show.. and even when I am I'm folding laundry or doing the budget or SOMETHING. I can work myself up even when I'm purposefully relaxing because I'm thinking about all the stuff I'm not doing that I "should" be doing.

The reality is that spending time with my daughter or husband is more enjoyable and more important than dishes. I've learned to let stuff like that go as much as possible without being officially gross. So I have a happy marriage, a decent daughter and a filthy house. I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Awesome job TT

Yea I love sleeping in too, I love the fact that pre-kids sleeping in on the weekends was to 10am now I feel lucky if the kids let me sleep in until 8:30, most morning it's 7 or slightly earlier

I really think the key to relationships is communication, which is something I need to work on, but when I do try to communicate it does help

Thanks!! I know those days of early wake-up times are very close... I should really just bite the bullet and get up early now because it will have to be even earlier in the near future I'm sure.

Yea I really feel like communication is key. I'm blessed to have a husband who works really hard to be on the same page with me. I've learned to talk about something that bothers me pretty quickly and respectfully. Honestly what has helped the most is trying to see my husband with the love and grace God has for him in light of the love and grace God has for me. If my husband does something wack I might get mad for a second, but most often I think right after that, "Is everything I do beyond reproach?! NOT! If God has given us both grace than I can give him some grace right now, and if it become a problem we will talk about it."

I'm tempted to make partner communication a challenge!!! But I know better. :redface:

Hey Everyone!!

I've kind of been falling away from my challenge. I'm pretty bummed about it. I know at some point I just have to DO IT!! I have to say no to eating too much or the wrong things and yes to exercise.. but I have reached a motivational slump.

I feel like I don't have time for everything.. cleaning, keeping track of bills and papers, playing with my daughter, cooking, shopping. I often wind up prioritizing and getting what I can done, but recently I've been having a ton of trouble focusing. I'll be doing one task and then my brain jumps to another and another. I wind up with 3 different things half done. It has been taking a ton a concentration to get just a few things done today.

My mom has terrible ADD. She can barely function on a normal level. This isn't the first time I've had problems like this. I'm scared that my brain will eventually become like my mom's.. she can barely have a conversation without jumping off into whatever she wants to talk about.

Hey TT I've been in a slump too I was doing amazing but then I pulled a muscle in my lower abs and that set me out (I'm still protecting that muscle) and it really killed my motivation. Doesn't help that this past weekend was Canadian Thanksgiving. 

I'm jumping back in now not allowing myself to feel mad or beat me up about the wrong I did while injured I'm just going to my workout tonight and Friday and I will be protecting the muscles but moving and moving and getting there is better than not and getting mad at myself.

I say just pick up where you are now let go of all self judgement and just do the best you can TODAY. 

there is really nothing you can do when you're hurt, just try to take care of yourself and not rush back into things to re-injury yourself even worse

Yea I attemtped to do my long run while at work and I pushed the pace just a little bit so that I couldn't run over the weekend, but I did manage to get a nice 7 miler with the kids on Monday

Yea I'm having issues too TT, I can't get anything done, or I get so into that I lose track of everything else. I think we all need a vacation, just to relax

Things went better than I thought they would yesterday I hurt a lot in my legs and lower back but I know my legs hurt as she led us through far more leg exercises than normal and my lower back hurts from protecting the ab muscles. There were only 3 exercises I couldn't do properly so that was a nice feeling. 

there is really nothing you can do when you're hurt, just try to take care of yourself and not rush back into things to re-injury yourself even worse

Yea I attemtped to do my long run while at work and I pushed the pace just a little bit so that I couldn't run over the weekend, but I did manage to get a nice 7 miler with the kids on Monday

Yea I'm having issues too TT, I can't get anything done, or I get so into that I lose track of everything else. I think we all need a vacation, just to relax

Good job on the long run. I hope you feel better! I'm glad I'm not alone in going off track sometimes. It is just like life swallows me up! Everyone wants stuff, there are certain things that NEED to get done.. and my health just goes on the back-burner. It's just gonna happen sometimes.

Things went better than I thought they would yesterday I hurt a lot in my legs and lower back but I know my legs hurt as she led us through far more leg exercises than normal and my lower back hurts from protecting the ab muscles. There were only 3 exercises I couldn't do properly so that was a nice feeling. 

Its good to hear that your work-out went better than expected! just make sure you take it slow and listen to your body so you don't hurt yourself.

As for me I'm doing much much better. I've re-focused. I started by breaking everything down into priorities and beginning to tackle them one by one. In my health priorities list FOOD is #1 (like they say abs are made in the kitchen). So, I went shopping and preped a ton of veggies, salad stuff, fruit etc. I've got several healthy dinners on standby for this upcoming week. Friday - Sunday I stuck pretty well to eating healthy and tracking my food. =) #2 Priority was working out.. which didn't happen. That is better than nothing!

I fell away at the end but not on purpose I stuck to my goals but I didn't have internet access. I don't know but I also just feel the web page is so easy to fall away from and when I do it's hard to get back on here and back on track. I also feel a lack of connection in the forum on our individual threads that makes it hard to keep motivated. Not sure how to change it either because I like everyone else doesn't want to spend too much time on any electronic no matter how motivating it is.