• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

vortexofsleep

Fellowship of the Bat (cross-guild)

Well, my week one was kind of crummy as noted above, but that's cool. It got better towards the end, and starting today, weeks 2 through 6 are going to be bat-tastic!

@Batwoman--awesome on the motorcycle! I was finally starting to feel comfortable on (not busy) streets when my bike was stolen. That was years ago. One of these days I'll replace her and get back on two wheels--so much fun!

I also forgot to add that I scored my first goal in a hockey game. That was really exciting. I just started to play this year. I was doing well and had the mental/positioning part of the game down, but had nothing to really show for it. Now I have a beauty of goal to look back on for this season no matter how the rest of it turns out. AND I scored it in our first playoff game. I like to rise to the challenge like Batman :P

@Anathema: crummy weeks will happen. We are all human and sometimes other obligations, priorities, or overall unforseen events get in the way of all of our plans of well intention. What makes you a success is your resolve. Pick yourself back up and try again. In Dark Knight Rises Batman did not simply stay imprisoned by Bane after Catwoman sold him out. To put it simply, he rose (rised?)!

And I do hope you get back on a motorcycle in the future. It's too much fun.

Hey Bats! Week 1 ended pretty well. I'm satisfied, at least. Although I did fail at my hour of being unplugged, which is just sad. I second what Vortex said! Sophomore week can be tricky. Keep up the great work!!!

Great to see you here Matt!!!

Batwoman, how cool that you got to ride this weekend!!! And even cooler that you LEARNED! Love it :) ALSO! CONGRATS on your hockey goal!!! That's so exciting!!!

Batgirl, congrats on your 3 lb loss!!! I'm generally not a fan of the scale (measuring, clothes fit, or progress pics, all the way :)) but I'm happy for you nonetheless! I know that's a great feeling :D

Anathema, hope you are feeling better! Let's go get WEEK TWO!!!

I just had the idea that our awesome Batguild should think up a Batman Grading system.

Of course we would start with A = Batman.

Is this a good idea? Am I crazy? Any suggestions on the grading?

Also not getting too cocky (batty?) or anything, but I am loving Week Two (having had a craptacular Week one). Sinus thing *finally* seems to be almost over, did a real run yesterday, gonna hit the gym (carefully) after work tonight. Feels good to feel on track again. (Also--note my amazing new avatar! A guy I work with is a fantastic illustator, just got a series picked up by Heavy Metal magazine. He did a Facebook content where if you buy the magazine & post a pic of yourself reading it, the first 10 folks would get drawn as an orc. I won one of the 10 . . . check out that rockin' breastplate! I'm pretty boobsy in real life and Juan increased on my natural, er, gifts! Guess that's true to the Heavy Metal way now that I think about it . . .)

Hmmmmm . . . just based on physique I might consider Penguin a lower grade than Joker. Just a thought . . .

I was going for evil-ness but good point.  Maybe D-Riddler.

@Anathema That is a really cool avatar. Your friend must be super talented. Now all I need to do is become Jim Lee's friend and have him do my avatar. I'm sure he's not too busy, right?

@Batgirl, I came up with the same top three. Catwoman is perfect for C, because 1) Catwoman starts with C and 2) She's straddling between good and evil. With that in consideration maybe we should rate on moral goodness or lack there of. This would than signify as follows: I had a really Batman week = excellent or I had a really Joker week = terrible and full of anarchy.

I am having a Batman week so far. Tonight, I go to my usual Wednesday night club, which is mainly to hang out with friends, do some dancing. I don't usually drink since I drive by myself, but I certainly have been known to. Tonight, since part of my Challenge is no booze, I do not drink. When cute girls (or boys), offer to buy me a drink, I can have a diet Coke. And if the person whom I'm almost over but not quite is there (code name: Grumpy Cat), I can be vaguely polite, not get all weird about it. That's the goal, I'll report back tomorrow and let y'all know that I triumphed over Jameson's and Grumpy Cat.

Okay, Bats, here's where I'm at right at this very instant.  Today is a processed-sugar-free day for me.  I survived the stop for coffee at the donut shop today.  And guys, this donut shop is insane.  50+ varieties of old-world style donuts that are just giant rings of heaven.  At lunch I met up with friends at Central Market.  Cupcake stand...avoided.  Homemade cookies staring me in the face while I waited to pay for my meal?  I stared back, unwavering.  Unsupportive friends tempting me with truffles at market then tootsie rolls and runts when we stopped by their office?  See ya, bitches, I'm going back to work!

But now, now is that three o'clock hour where I want nothing more than to go home and the boredom eating sets in.  I left my little apple at home.  I tried flavored sweetner-free seltzer.   I went for a walk.  

I know that I have a box of sugar daddies in my desk drawer.

I considered having one.  One little nasty sugar nugget the size of a raisin just to shut up my cravings and prove to me that it's  just Not. That. Great.

But then, I thought of you.  Having even one is being weak, being a cheater, making an excuse.  Is Batman a weak, cheating, excuse-maker?  I feel like a blasphemer even asking the question!  Would you guys going to be all "Aww, it's okay Vortex.  Eat some crap to feel better.  Indulge your alleged "need" for candy that you don't even really like compared to the wonderful delicacies you've already avoided today."  HELL NO!  Was I going to forget my own motto:  Do not betray your fellow Bats? HELL TO THE NO!!

So thanks, Bats, for saving me from failure today.  Cause that's exactly what being  a member of this group did.

(Aww, warm fuzzies are better than candy, ne?)

Yay! Congrats on resisting the Evil Donuts. Clearly planted there by the Joker to lead you from the path of batly virtue. But you were too clever for him!

And speaking of challenges, I did go out last night, had a great time dancing, and did not drink. Grumpy Cat did show up (looking chubby. Is that mean? Yeah. So what. She was horrible to me, I will allow myself a small amount of schadenfreude). She was there with a couple of other folks I really like, so I got to go up and do the "Oh hey Alfred! Great to see you! Hug hug! Barbara Gordon! As I live and breathe! Give me a kiss you bad girl! Oh." (properly icy tone) "Grumpy Cat. Hello." Sure it's petty and actually I'll be a much healthier batling when I just don't care and can see her as a sort of sad person I used to care about a whole lot. But, ya know, baby bat steps. And (as w/ Vortex of Sleep, above) I let knowing that I was coming back here to report keep me from even having a sip of my friend's drink, as I often do when i'm feeling cranky. (He's a massive guy who drinks very very strong drinks so a "sip" of Alex's drink is like a shot for a normal person, practically . . .)

Well, since we are sharing our stories of thwarting evil this week...

Last night was family game night, which means lots of food, lots of drink, and a little bit of board games. My Mom made chicken cacciatore and caesar salad... apple pie, cupcakes and ice cream for dessert... plus the myriad of booze around at all time (this is my family and I love them). I managed to eat just chicken, sauce, and peppers and onions from the dinner course. Then preceeded to punch dessert in its turkey neck and out of my pie hole. My crowning achievement being I did not let the booze monster bring me to my demise. I drank water and brought the booze monster to its knees!

It seems as if I have leveled up my willpower enough to go into party situations and pick and choose what my Paleo belly will enjoy the most. This is exciting!

Of course I always think about what Batman would do in these situations and I don't want to disappoint anyone here. PLUS! I have an awesome girlfriend who keeps me in check and is following me along this NerdFitness path that I have taken. She's actually one among us  :disillusionment:

I have struggled with weight my whole life and this is the first time I can see myself sticking to something and actually can visualize myself being that superhero that I always hoped that I could be... **group hug**

Now I'm not sure, but I think my batgirl socks made me lift just a little heavier this morning.

Also I've lost 4 pounds since this challenge started.

And there's pastries and doughnuts sitting in the kitchen at work and I walked right by.  They looked really good but blueberry doughnuts can wait until I'm happier with my body.

Posted on my personal log, but posting here too, for total bat-acountability:

Okay, a little more goal tweaking. I've been focussing on tracking, but not enough on intake (as in, as long as I write it down, I've done my job. Doesn't matter what "it" is). Now that I'm not training for a marathon (until November training start date), my macros goal is 40/30/30 and my (new) Challenge goal is to achieve that every day. It sounds like a small tweak, the focus on tracking as the goal rather than eating right as the goal isn't good. Perhaps the fried appetizers I ate (and tracked!) this afternoon were the tip-off, or the greasy straw that broke the camel's back, or something. From here on out, tracking is the machanism, but the goal is 40/30/30, and that's what I'll grade myself on.

So, I think was either a little *too* Batman, or not Batman enough yesterday. Got to work late after car drama (which meant I didn't get to do my planned run, grrrr), had a kind of crappy day at work, worked late, and on the train on the way home, my phone was stolen. Some kid literally grabbed it out of my hands as the train doors opened and ran. I ran after him (stupid, I know--it's what the Batman would do, but not as ineptly as I did!). I'm fast too, I might have caught him, but was on my way home from work, wearing slippy dress shoes, slipped and fell hard on the train platform. Not Batman at all. Messed up my knees, though not too bad I don't think. At least I didn't drink when I got home! This is exactly the kind of situation in which in years (days) past I would have said f* it, I deserve a damn drink. I was all shaky and freaked out . . . from the adrenaline of chasing the thief, endorphins from slamming into the tile floor when I fell. The copy took a report, and were super nice, but I don't think I'm going to see that phone again. Either they can break the iOS7 lock and disable the locator, which the cops said is unlikely. Or, if they can't, they'll probably just throw it in a trash can. Not like I didn't want an iPhone 5, but not like this! Luckily, I was eligible for a new phone, so not the financial disaster it could have been. And yes, I bought insurance this time!

We had games night tonight (with Grumpy Cat et al). I, again, didn't drink, did eat lasagna, which is non ideal but didn't kill me macro-wise. And was perfectly pleasant to her.

Tomorrow is the Folsom Street Fair, San Francisco's big Leather Pride day. Lots of walking, looking at stuff. I'll count it as a (light) cross day. And this year I won't wear latex--almost passed out from heat exhaustion a couple of years ago after wearing a really pretty, rather batgirl-esque, and totally no-breathable black latex dress. In the hot sun. Whoops!

Welcome Joe and Anathema!

Hey, everyone, don't forget to follow this thread!  I want to do some general group stuff here in the future, so following is an easy way to make sure you see it.  Says me, who always forgets that there's a "Content I follow" link in my profile menu and still clicks around to see if people have updated...

Speaking of, I'm updating the first post to include links to all of our challenges~

where's my LINK?

@Anathema sorry about your phone :( but I guess there are worse things in the world.

How was the fair? Leather pride sounds like fun... well if you aren't a cow. And if you are a cow that is reading this, I am very impressed and moooooooooooooooooooooo.

Dammit!  I am so sorry.  It's updated now.  I probably got distracted reading posts and never got back to the Batpage. :(

No problem... I was playin.....thanks for the attention you have put into this.