• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

vortexofsleep

Fellowship of the Bat (cross-guild)

Thanks AgentKatia (for kind words here & on my thread). It was a cruddy few days, but feeling better now. Will probably go home at a somewhat reasonable hour from work, just chill out. I'll backfill my Challenge thread tonight or tomorrow. I won't have all of the fussy details since I didn't track, but it'll be better than nothing. The past few months have been full of ups and downs, but I'm largely keeping my good attitude with . . . a few hiccups.

Mid-challenge check-in! How's everyone doing?

I'm killing my nutrition-related goal by doing the Whole30, but my other goals have been touch and go... I completely missed my second week of workouts, but got back with it last week. This week I'm gonna get all 4 workouts in AND complete my pull-up training. 

Surprisingly, my hardest thing has been to just find an hour a week to sit at home quietly without technology... Which I think is a little sad, really. It's also indicative of how busy I choose to be. I think I've revealed a symptom! The cause? I'm just doing too damn much. No wonder I've been feeling burned out... 

SO! As we go into Week 4, I am going to refocus and double my efforts and go all Batman on my goal to kick ass by doing nothing.

BatmanCaughtReading02.jpg

Is there something you are recommitting to for the second half of this challenge?

As I've said, this Challenge has been tough for me. I'm choosing to frame it as, if I *hadn't* had the challenge and Bat-countability, it would have been a lot worse given how much crummy personal stuff has been going on. I am choosing to not wallow around going "whah whah whah poor me." Because that's not Batman. Of course, i do get to be a little dark and brooding and mysterious and stuff, but not whiny.

For the second half of the Challenge, I'm really recommitting to the food & drink stuff. My depression is so much better w/out booze (duh!), and I'm just happier in general when eating right.

Tomorrow is my first coffee late w/ long-ignored friend. Then going dancing with another one on Friday, and coffee next week. Woohoo friends!

I can't believe it's the half way point already!  Geez!

I'm pretty happy with how I'm doing this challenge, but as I've whined about before I'm slacking on the stretching.  Whining will not change my grades, stretching will!  So I'm determined to do my morning stretches every day for the rest of the challenge.  Don't break the chain!  I absolutely need to focus on my side quest too, which has fallen by the wayside while I was sick.

I also was looking over my budget and spending logs and realized that since this challenge started I've only eaten out twice!  Once was a planned Friday night dinner with Dave.  The other was a grave mistake, haha.  I grabbed a fast-food grilled chicken sandwich for lunch--it was when I was sick and didn't feel up to packing a lunch.  While it was probably one of the better fast-food options, I still could only eat half of it before feeling like I was going to puke.  Which I sorta count as a win?  Anyway, point is I can't believe how much I've been cooking/eating real food.  For comparison, in July I had 22 receipts logged in the "eating out" portion of my budget!  Yikes!

Challenge is going pretty well so far.  My diet has been hit and miss but I haven't had any fries and I haven't missed a day logging my food.  My daughter is in her second week of fall break and kind of looking forward to her going back to school next week so she'll stop baking.  I haven't missed any workouts but I have had to move them around a little a few times. 

Challenge is going awesomely! Done with my motorcycle challenge. Reached my push-up goal yesterday. Food is on track. Working on my second side quest of the challenge (food blog).

I am feeling super Batman. Going to reward myself with my first Batman logo t-shirt at the end of this challenge when I reach all of my goals.

So here's a thing. Tonight is a birthday party that I kind of have to go to. It's all very complicated, but let's just say it is the birthday of one of my best friends. Who is also deeply entangled with Grumpy Cat. And at her house, which has been the scene of some epic unhappiness for me. I could just stay home, but birthdays are important to him, lots of people I like will be there, it's a chance to demo my Halloween costume (because it's a costume party, not because I want to show up in a mask so she doesn't recognize me). So . . .

Go to the party relatively early (aka when there are enough people that it's not awkward, but before it's a total drunken baccanal. 9:30-ish seems about right.

DO NOT DRINK. This is a very boozy crowd. There will be tons of opportunities to say, "Oh, just one won't hurt." That way lies madness. Batman wouldn't have a Vanilla Vodka Absinthe Frappe, and neither will I. (I made that up, but my friend is prone to inventing really disgusting drinks).

Appoint a monitor. My bestest friend in the entire world will also be there. He's the person I leaned on for a lot of the GC drama, and I can tel him straight up, if you see me wavering, hand me a Diet Coke and remind me that getting drunk will not solve anything.

Leave early. I know this crowd. There will be random drunken making out by evening's end, probably in configurations that will only make me sad. So, leave by midnight to avoid this.

We have a plan. Show up at a reasonable hour. Give my friend his birthday gift (it's appropriately nerdy--a Spider Jerusalem action figure, from the Transmetropolitan graphic novels). Hang out, talk to people I like. DO NOT DRINK. Leave before things got drunk, sloppy, and trigger-inducing. That's the plan. I will report back here tomorrow. Batman does not get drunk and stare longingly at his ex, or burst into tears at said ex getting trashed and pawing hot girls. And neither will I. I WILL HAVE A BATMAN EVENING.

My new avatar pic ensures it!

Thanks! BAT POWER!!!!

So now, off to the gym for pre-party endorphins. Then shower, come home, finish costume (Aeryn Sun from Farscape, btw), head over there around 9:30. And have a perfectly pleasant time, goddamn it. Will file a bat-report tomorrow!

Success report! Actually ended up getting there super late due to gym taking a long time, stopping to try to get one last little gift for my friend, etc. So everyone was already all jovial when I got there, made it easier not to drink. Hung out for a couple of hours, talked to the people I actually like, didn't get too emotional after I left. So, win!

I'm so relieved, Anathema!  I was definitely thinking about you!!

I am sad that most images are blocked at work, so I never get to see the cool pictures/gifs.  I'm hardly ever online at home anymore (not that I'm considering that a bad thing, since I had major internet addiction issues in the past.)

Hooray! Great job Anathema! I'm glad you made it through! Sounds like it turned out to be a pretty fun night. You had a great plan, and I'm glad to see that it worked out well when it was modified :)

Hey guys, I know I've dropped off of the grid, which I swore to myself I wouldn't do again, but this time I've got a reason for doing so, and I'm kind of okay with it. Within the last couple of weeks I've found myself swept up in a crazy fast tornado of forward momentum and am happy to say that I'm once again a student, working on my Bachelor of Science degree, online. The classes are fast paced and I need to streamline while I readjust. I know you'll all rock this challenge, and I believe in you all! Best of luck Bat-Family. 

That's awesome, Joe!  I did accelerated online classes and they were crazy time consuming, so I hear you.  We'll be cheering you on even if we don't "see" you around.  Talk about leveling up your life!!