Wollio and the Need for Speed

Wollio

Hello Rangers! I'm excited to join the group after my first challenge went so well. Here's a little background on myself: approximately 1 year from now, my husband and I are planning to quit our jobs and move onto a sailboat, cruising the world. We've been planning and saving for about 2 years now and are super excited to be as close as we are. That being said, I want to make sure that I am ready for life aboard physically as well as mentally to assist with boat jobs and add safety to our journey. (For more info, visit my first challenge thread.)

Main Quest: To increase strength, dexterity, and overall health before casting off the lines.

Fitness Goals:

1. Get Strong! Faithfully follow the "Get Strong" program from Nia Shanks for the entire challenge. (Program is 8 weeks long, just started it Monday.) 
  2. Improve reaction time to under 225ms average on Human Benchmark test. This will hopefully be accomplished by reaction time drills, and beating Super Mario World on SNES. Yes, that Super Mario World...my reactions really are THAT slow.
  3. Drink 64oz of fluid per day, with at least 32oz of that being water. When my blood tests came back saying my kidneys are "chronically dehydrated" it's probably a good indication that I'm not drinking enough >.<

Lifestyle Goal:

Clean my garage and dispose of all items that are not being used and are not moving with us. 

Grading:

Get Strong: 4pts of Strength possible. 

• 4 = miss <6 days during challenge
  • 3 = miss 6-8 days during challenge
  • 2 = miss 8-10 days during challenge
  • 1 = miss 10-12 days during challenge

Reaction Time: 3pts of Dexterity/1pt Wisdom possible.

• 3 Dex = reaction time average <225ms 
  • 2 Dex = reaction time average 225-230
  • 1 Dex = reaction time average 230-235 
  • 1 Wis = Defeat Bowser (because it's a big deal)

Hydration Station: 4pts Constitution possible

• 4 = average >64oz per day
  • 3 = average 56-64oz per day
  • 2 = average 48-56oz per day
  • 1 = average 40-48oz per day

Clean the Garage: 3pts of Charisma possible

• 3 = Organize entire garage and have everything disposed of/listed on Craigslist
  • 2 = Dispose of all unnecessary items, organize half of garage
  • 1 = Organize and half of garage

Motivation: To be ready when my family needs me.

Week 1

1. Did great on the Get Strong! workouts. 0 days missed and feeling good.
  2. Didn't get a lot of time to play Mario this week, but I've downloaded a couple of games on my phone to do when I have time as well to hopefully assist in my times.
  3. Did very well on fluid intake for the week. The weekends were harder since I'm not staring at my water cup on my desk all day, but I still kept my average above 64.
  4. Spent some really good time cleaning the garage Saturday morning. Made a long list of items to be listed on craigslist and filled our herby with old junk that I hadn't had time to sort through before our last move. Only a few boxes left of miscellaneous items and then I'll be moving on to tackle the office stuff and tools. 

Week 2

1. Still going "strong" on the workouts! 0 days missed and moved up a progression.
  2. Didn't play Mario at all this week due to hubby needing the computer for studying. I have been playing a mean Temple Run almost daily though, so hopefully that will still help improve my times. Planning to do an assessment of my speed at the end of Week 3.
  3. Again, fairly good on the water goal during the week...bombed the weekend. I really need to be more intentional on the weekends, averaged only 61 oz this week.
  4. Spent about an hour over the weekend putting away all of the "found" items from last week that belong in our house and not the garage. Hoping to polish off those last miscellaneous boxes this week and possibly start the office items.

Week 3

1. Missed one day this week, kind of. I thought Friday was supposed to be my rest day (3 days on, 1 day off) but it was supposed to be Saturday. I worked out on Saturday and Sunday though, so overall still going okay.
  2. Played Temple Run and Dumb Ways to Die this week. Speed games are at least making me better at speed games, lol. Tried doing an assessment of my time, but came down with a killer cold that is seriously affecting my brain power, and definitely showed up in the test so I'm not counting that for now.
  3. Did much better on water this last weekend, but my average reflects a bad 2 days early in the week, so only 61oz average.
  4. Spent about 2.5 hours on the garage on Saturday. I have gotten through all of our boxes other than a few that I'll have to have my hubby help me get down off of some high shelves. Feeling really good about this one overall.

Week 4

1. Missed *ahem* 3 days this week. Not exactly my best effort. I'd like to blame it on my cold this week, but if I'm really being honest I just got lazy. This puts my overall to 4 missed days. I will be doing better next week for sure.
  2. Still playing games, still not entirely sure if it is helping. At least it's fun though, right?
  3. Bad on water, just bad. This is especially bad since I was sick, I should've been getting more fluids, not less. Finished with an average of 58oz. If I want to still finish with full marks, my average for the rest of the challenge will have to be over 67oz/day. 
  4. Spent about an hour putting away sorted items last Sunday. Didn't get to do much this week due to family events eating up my weekend work time. The last 2 weeks should see some serious work mode going on due to the hubby being out of town starting Thursday through the end of the challenge.

Wollio

Lvl 3 Human Warlock Ranger

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 3 CON 6 WIS 2 CHA 5

"Happiness is anyone and anything at all

That’s loved by you."

-You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown

Battle of the Willpower Wastelands (Current Challenge)

The Need for Speed (Ch 2)

Strength for the Journey Ahead (Ch 1)

Countdown to an Epic Journey (Intro)

Follow the Horizon (personal blog)

Love these goals.  What is the human benchmark test that you talked about.  Sounds like a fun time next year when you are on the boat.

Here is the reaction time test that I'm using to measure my progress. http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/ Basically, I figured it would just be good to be able to have some kind of quantitative measurement that I use to tell if my reaction time is improving.

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

Week 1 update added to original post.

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

Good progress this week! A good free game for your phone is Minion Rush for reflexes, I'm hooked :) A fun game if you have an iPhone is Plants vs. Zombies 2. It's not a super reflex game, it's a tower defense style, but it's fun! 

Adventurer || Wood Elf

"omg I've got nerditis! Get it off, get it off!! Wait.... I think... I like it, I'll keep it :)"

Challenge: current

Blog about fitness and randomness but mostly food...

So this morning after doing my Get Strong workout, I was feeling really fantastic and thought to myself, why have I never done stuff like this before? And it brought me to this sad realization of how depressingly useless gym class was (and probably still is for most kids) in junior high and high school. I really tried to do my best throughout my gym classes and somehow managed to consistently get B's. That was mostly due to having to take the "President's Test" at the end of every school year: aka how many pull-ups can you do, score on a hand-strength test, how many sit-ups can you do, flexibility, and how fast you can run the mile. 

Not only did my entire grade in gym class depend upon the scores that I received on this test, but the test scores were based solely on "norms" for girls in your age group (as opposed to overall improvement) and oh yeah, they didn't give you any opportunity to work on strength AT ALL the entire school year. No weight training, no body weight workouts, basically nothing that would allow you to improve your score in the slightest. Therefore, I would fail the hand strength test every year, it was a joke trying to do a pull-up, sit-ups would get an A, my flexibility was poor (compared to "normal" girls apparently), and my improvement of a mile run from 12:00 to 8:50 in a year still only garnered a B, because "normal" teenage girls should be able to run a mile in under 8 minutes.

I'm not trying to complain and say that it's all the school's fault that I haven't been a body-builder up to this point in my life. Mostly, I would just like to know what it is that gym class is supposed to be teaching kids. I know that I learned that no matter how hard I tried, I still wasn't good enough to be like the "normal" kids, so what was even the point? I'm sure I'm not the only person out there to walk away with a generally negative perception about exercise because of gym class in school. I'm just glad that I had enough motivation later on to overcome that prejudice and really enjoy it now. 

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

All I learned was how to do is sit on the bleachers and watch the students who actually participated on sports teams practice. I didn't even have to take gym class in highschool because I was in the marching band.

But what this does mean is that we're responsible for teaching our kiddos how to be healthy and active...and I think you're doing a great job with that. The first step is to take that initiative for yourself, and they will emulate you.

Screw high school. You're awesome!

Current Challenge

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Mens sana in corpore sano

I didn't tell my parents and didn't sign up for gym class in high school then almost didn't graduate because I didn't have my gym credit >< When I finally took it I what ought to have been my last year of high school and we did stuff like salsa dancing and curling and all kinds of fun stuff but nothing too physically demanding. I took a victory lap in high school anyways because they changed from a 5 to a 4 year program but the curriculum was a mess so I took another gym class in my last year that was called live fit or something? It was about strength training but it was taught by this super butch body building looking teacher and I was afraid to do what she told me I should be doing for fear I'd look like her!!!! The education system educates the average and normal person. I prefer the military mentality where you're only as fast as your slowest soldier. 

I agree with swthrtsuzy, make sure your kids see you working out and when they get older teach them! Involve them :)

Adventurer || Wood Elf

"omg I've got nerditis! Get it off, get it off!! Wait.... I think... I like it, I'll keep it :)"

Week 2 results are up. I'm very happy with my workouts, mad at myself about slacking on water over the weekend, and a little disappointed in my cleaning and speed goals. The good news is that I'm still motivated to do better this week! 

In the Get Strong program, after every 2 weeks you are supposed to move up to the next progression of variations. So, my starting variations (must be able to perform 10 perfect reps of each) were this: 90 deg bent leg inverted rows, Single leg step-ups, Knee push-ups, One leg glute bridge, and walkouts on my knees. In my first progression I have advanced to: 45 deg bent leg inverted rows, Single leg squat to bed height (~23 in from ground), Bed height push-ups, One leg hip thrusts, and still walkout on my knees. The bed height push-ups were a little discouraging, because I thought I would be able to move straight from knee push-ups to standard, but that just isn't going to happen yet. I can do nasty ugly bad-form push-ups, but that isn't going to actually make me stronger, so I decided to be a little more realistic and do the level that I can actually do well. Also, I'm going farther out on the walkouts now, but its kinda hard to measure. I tried doing standing walkouts but I think I need to work on my hamstring flexibility before I can do those to any real benefit, since my form gets very sloppy very quick. 

On the garage goal, I came to a realization that I won't be actually posting my Craigslist ads until after the challenge is over, so I'm changing it a bit to be having them all ready to go. My husband will be out of town for about the last week and a half of the challenge and I am not comfortable selling things out of our house without him home. That might be paranoid, but I'd rather just wait until I have a little extra back-up.

Also, a friend of my brother-in-law is apparently a world champion in Tae-Kwon-Do and teaches a free class at the local community college. I am super interested and will be getting some more info soon!

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

Week 2 results are up. I'm very happy with my workouts, mad at myself about slacking on water over the weekend, and a little disappointed in my cleaning and speed goals. The good news is that I'm still motivated to do better this week! 

In the Get Strong program, after every 2 weeks you are supposed to move up to the next progression of variations. So, my starting variations (must be able to perform 10 perfect reps of each) were this: 90 deg bent leg inverted rows, Single leg step-ups, Knee push-ups, One leg glute bridge, and walkouts on my knees. In my first progression I have advanced to: 45 deg bent leg inverted rows, Single leg squat to bed height (~23 in from ground), Bed height push-ups, One leg hip thrusts, and still walkout on my knees. The bed height push-ups were a little discouraging, because I thought I would be able to move straight from knee push-ups to standard, but that just isn't going to happen yet. I can do nasty ugly bad-form push-ups, but that isn't going to actually make me stronger, so I decided to be a little more realistic and do the level that I can actually do well. Also, I'm going farther out on the walkouts now, but its kinda hard to measure. I tried doing standing walkouts but I think I need to work on my hamstring flexibility before I can do those to any real benefit, since my form gets very sloppy very quick. 

On the garage goal, I came to a realization that I won't be actually posting my Craigslist ads until after the challenge is over, so I'm changing it a bit to be having them all ready to go. My husband will be out of town for about the last week and a half of the challenge and I am not comfortable selling things out of our house without him home. That might be paranoid, but I'd rather just wait until I have a little extra back-up.

Also, a friend of my brother-in-law is apparently a world champion in Tae-Kwon-Do and teaches a free class at the local community college. I am super interested and will be getting some more info soon!

Good work moving up to the next level Wollio :) And I hear ya on the craigslist thing, never know what kinda nut job is going to show up at your door to buy your parasol and then get upset when you won't accept anything less than you 10$ value. It's nice to have backup! 

Adventurer || Wood Elf

Okay so kind of a big deal on the speed front happened this weekend. Saturday morning, my 2 year old was walking down the stairs slightly behind me. He wanted me to turn around and look at him so I could see how he could step like a big boy by himself. Just as I turned around, he stepped down and tripped, rolling forward on his foot. He immediately starting falling down our (very steep) steps, but I was able to catch him before he hit. 

This sounds like a normal "crisis averted" type of parent story, but for me it was huge. Normally, these kind of events end with my husband yelling "what were you doing?! You just stood there and watched him get hurt!" In fact, this kind of incident is exactly the reason why I wanted my reaction times to be faster to begin with. So basically, big win for me. So big, that I will actually be taking one of those Dex points now, regardless of whether my time on the test improves just because I deserve it. /bow

Also, Week 3 edit is up.

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

Okay so kind of a big deal on the speed front happened this weekend. Saturday morning, my 2 year old was walking down the stairs slightly behind me. He wanted me to turn around and look at him so I could see how he could step like a big boy by himself. Just as I turned around, he stepped down and tripped, rolling forward on his foot. He immediately starting falling down our (very steep) steps, but I was able to catch him before he hit. 

This sounds like a normal "crisis averted" type of parent story, but for me it was huge. Normally, these kind of events end with my husband yelling "what were you doing?! You just stood there and watched him get hurt!" In fact, this kind of incident is exactly the reason why I wanted my reaction times to be faster to begin with. So basically, big win for me. So big, that I will actually be taking one of those Dex points now, regardless of whether my time on the test improves just because I deserve it. /bow

Also, Week 3 edit is up.

Holy shit look at you go Wollio! That's awesome :) I'll bet your 2 yo was glad in that moment that mommy plays video games, lol! 

Adventurer || Wood Elf

Thanks Sally! Poor guy, he cried for like 5 minutes just from being scared and then scooted down the stairs on his butt the rest of the weekend, but at least he wasn't hurt! 

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

Thanks Sally! Poor guy, he cried for like 5 minutes just from being scared and then scooted down the stairs on his butt the rest of the weekend, but at least he wasn't hurt! 

Aww, poor guy! But lucky his mommy has jungle cat like reflexes or the crying would have been worse >< He'll get his confidence back though :) 

Adventurer || Wood Elf

Also, Week 3 edit is up.

That right there is not normal, it's super-hero level saving of the day. I'm so glad the little one wasn't hurt and you got to see the results of your hard work in action. Yay for you!!

Current Challenge

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Mens sana in corpore sano

Week 4 edit is up. It's ugly, I'm not going to lie. 

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

Okay so here is my wrap-up of the challenge. Let's start with my goals and see how I did overall.

Main Quest: To increase strength, dexterity, and overall health before casting off the lines.

Fitness Goals:

1. Get Strong! Faithfully follow the "Get Strong" program from Nia Shanks for the entire challenge. (Program is 8 weeks long, just started it Monday.) 
  2. Improve reaction time to under 225ms average on Human Benchmark test. This will hopefully be accomplished by reaction time drills, and beating Super Mario World on SNES. Yes, that Super Mario World...my reactions really are THAT slow.
  3. Drink 64oz of fluid per day, with at least 32oz of that being water. When my blood tests came back saying my kidneys are "chronically dehydrated" it's probably a good indication that I'm not drinking enough >.<

Lifestyle Goal:

Clean my garage and dispose of all items that are not being used and are not moving with us. 

Grading:

Get Strong: 4pts of Strength possible. 

• 4 = miss <6 days during challenge
  • 3 = miss 6-8 days during challenge
  • 2 = miss 8-10 days during challenge
  • 1 = miss 10-12 days during challenge

Reaction Time: 3pts of Dexterity/1pt Wisdom possible.

• 3 Dex = reaction time average <225ms 
  • 2 Dex = reaction time average 225-230
  • 1 Dex = reaction time average 230-235 
  • 1 Wis = Defeat Bowser (because it's a big deal)

Hydration Station: 4pts Constitution possible

• 4 = average >64oz per day
  • 3 = average 56-64oz per day
  • 2 = average 48-56oz per day
  • 1 = average 40-48oz per day

Clean the Garage: 3pts of Charisma possible

• 3 = Organize entire garage and have everything disposed of/listed on Craigslist
  • 2 = Dispose of all unnecessary items, organize half of garage
  • 1 = Organize and half of garage

Motivation: To be ready when my family needs me.

For my final grades:

3 pts of Strength (missed a total of 6 days of training during the challenge)

2 pts of Dexerity (ending speed 228.4ms on Human Benchmark) + 1 additional pt of Dex due to IRL speed test (already taken, see previous post)

4 pts of Constitution (66oz average over the entire challenge)

2 pts of Charisma (full garage organized but I haven't been able to get the donated/Craiglist items out yet)

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines