• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lauren A.

First Time Challengers Team: The Encouragers!

I just got back from the gym and I feel SO GOOD.  Why haven't I stuck to this in the past??

My support system includes my hunky husband.  Not only is he hunky but he is also smart and compassionate.  He deals with all of my feelings (I have A LOT of those).  He helped me get through undergrad and grad school and is now totally on board with me getting fit.  While he hates the gym and will never come with me, we love to go hiking together and we used to do indoor wall climbing together.  I really want to start doing that again.

I'm finding a lot of support here and I'm really appreciating it!  

Haha, Sunshine, we sound super similar... Lots of feelings, patient and hunky husbands, a love of hiking, camping, rock climbing... Too awesome.

I so glad you had a great workout! Isn't that the best feeling? i always come home super jazzed up! I'm on my way to the gym now! Whoohoo!! It's barbell time people!! I'll let you know how it goes! : D

How was everyone's Wednesday? Mine started off with a great weight-lifting session at the gym before work. I've been shy about using some of the weight equipment at my gym, but today I forced myself to use the squat rack. I was so proud of myself even though there was no weight on the bar (those bars are heavy). Lauren, how did it go with the barbells? 

Alyson! Props on getting to the gym before work and working that bar! You are a brave lady! I can't get to the gym in the AM bc it doesn't quite open early enough. But barbells tonight were great! I had done a lot of reading on lifting so I was actually pretty comfortable with all of the exercises (and when I had a question, I asked!). I know I'm going to be killer sore though...especially my arms.

Anyone know of any exercises that surreptitiously work your core? (In other words, you aren't just doing something like twisting from side to side, while holding a weight, balancing on your butt bone, feet off the mat, while bicycling your feet...I don't think anyone can be worse at this than me... haha). I can manage some decent strength training on every part of my body, but my core is the weakest and most challenging area by far. It's just so weak I don't even know where to start to help get me to a better place, lol.

Alyson! Props on getting to the gym before work and working that bar! You are a brave lady! I can't get to the gym in the AM bc it doesn't quite open early enough. But barbells tonight were great! I had done a lot of reading on lifting so I was actually pretty comfortable with all of the exercises (and when I had a question, I asked!). I know I'm going to be killer sore though...especially my arms.

Anyone know of any exercises that surreptitiously work your core? (In other words, you aren't just doing something like twisting from side to side, while holding a weight, balancing on your butt bone, feet off the mat, while bicycling your feet...I don't think anyone can be worse at this than me... haha). I can manage some decent strength training on every part of my body, but my core is the weakest and most challenging area by far. It's just so weak I don't even know where to start to help get me to a better place, lol.

I'm pretty sure squats are the way to go.  Another NF member gave me these links for strength training:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

And then there is this Nerd Fitness article:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/07/08/why-you-need-squats-in-your-workout-and-how-to-do-them-right/

Maybe that will help?

So, Team Encouragers, I'm curious of what you have tried in the past with regard to getting in shape and living a healthy lifestyle.  With that in mind, what has worked for you in the past?  

Or is this a first time effort for anyone?  

I'm pretty sure squats are the way to go.  Another NF member gave me these links for strength training:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

And then there is this Nerd Fitness article:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/07/08/why-you-need-squats-in-your-workout-and-how-to-do-them-right/

Maybe that will help?

Great links and article! Thanks so much! I'm excited to work on perfecting my form to get the most out of it!

So, Team Encouragers, I'm curious of what you have tried in the past with regard to getting in shape and living a healthy lifestyle.  With that in mind, what has worked for you in the past?  

Or is this a first time effort for anyone?  

This is my first real, honest-to-goodness effort in losing weight and getting healthy, but I was healthy and very fit for about 19-20 years... Then my knees reached their breaking point, college life caught up to me and my hormones went crazy, haha. Oh yeah, and I stopped exercising everyday. That'll do it. : D

HORMONES!  They are the worst!  

This is really my first serious go at getting fit.  I've never been a super physically active person.  I tried sports while growing up: basketball, swimming, and volleyball.  But I wasn't really that great at them and they made me more self-conscious than anything.  I had pretty bad eating habits up until my very early 20's...I'm 27 now.  I am a vegetarian and I am a much better vegetarian than I was.  I'm happy to say that food is not an enemy for me.  I have always loved fruits and vegetables but I had to tone it down on the carbs and dairy.  Over the past 10 years, my weight has fluctuated from 130 to 140 all the way down to 110 and then back up to 140 again.  I want that to stop.  Like immediately!    

I'm quite the opposite with weight gain. I have been slow and steady since I stopped varsity sports. Maybe I'll climb up at holiday time or vacation, and then I'll just stay there, static for a year. And then climb up a little more the next time. Lol. Our bodies sure are funny aren't they?

Hey Guys! I'll get my challenge page up and going soon. Sorry, I don't have internet access at the house (no internet is paleo right??). I'll get everything up to speed soon. Good luck to everyone!

no internet is paleo right??

hahaha YES. you are more legit than any of us!! And WELCOME!! Glad you were able to find time to log on and say hello!! Good luck to you too! Looking forward to hearing about your challenge!

Thank you for the warm welcome!  Well, even though I started late this week, I have to say, so far so good.

As far as my three goals go, I am going to make it to the gym tonight and then at least two more times this weekend!  I'm planning on going on a hike Sat or Sun morning for my recreational activity.  And so far, I havent consumed alcohol once this week!  FYI... some background on the goal of not drinking more than twice per week: I am an avid WINE drinker.  I love a glass of wine at the end of my day (or a good craft beer), and I work in an industry that encourages meetings over drinks and evening events.  So it's very easy to look back on your week and realize that you've had at least a drink a day for like 5-6 days out of the week??!  This doesnt help with keeping the weight off either. Two occasions per week seemed reasonable to try to attain this time around, but who knows maybe I can cut it out altogether!?

Overall, I am feeling good that I can succeed this week, even with the late start!  You guys all sound like you are doing really GREAT so far.  It's already begun to inspire me.  So thanks for that! :nevreness:

HORMONES!  They are the worst!  

This is really my first serious go at getting fit.  I've never been a super physically active person.  I tried sports while growing up: basketball, swimming, and volleyball.  But I wasn't really that great at them and they made me more self-conscious than anything.  I had pretty bad eating habits up until my very early 20's...I'm 27 now.  I am a vegetarian and I am a much better vegetarian than I was.  I'm happy to say that food is not an enemy for me.  I have always loved fruits and vegetables but I had to tone it down on the carbs and dairy.  Over the past 10 years, my weight has fluctuated from 130 to 140 all the way down to 110 and then back up to 140 again.  I want that to stop.  Like immediately!    

Sunshine, I am with you!  I fluctuate from 138 -159, currently at 150.  I am ready to break this curse and get down to 130+/- once and for all!  It's all about creating new, better habits and MAINTAINING. Glad to hear food is not an enemy for you! xo

Hi!

I am new to challenges and just now found these accountibilibuddies team. This is so great, is there room for one more here?? 

My challenge post is here: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/37525-first-challenge-brings-a-need-for-speed/

My ultimate goal is weight loss, however I've learned through past failed efforts that working out with the ultimate goal of "weight loss" isn't enough for me- I just get bored and give up. So now I've found an activity that I truly enjoy (cycling) and my challenge goals are to improve in that area, with the side benefit (hopefully) of losing weight. 

Yes! There is always room for more encouragers and encouragees! : D Sounds like you have some awesome goals and a ton of great cycling ahead of you for this 6 weeks! That's sounds really fun! I need to get my bike over here where I live so I can ride! Also, an IRONMAN? You, my dear, are a straight up BAMF. : D I love it!! 

I also like to hide veggies in things! bam! you just ate a veggie and didn't know it! : ) We also love our steamer basket. Don't steam them very long and they'll be tasty (salt and pepper!), with just the right amount of crunch for you! 

Good morning!! I just updated my challenge thread and I'll be posting a recipe tonight for zucchini paleo pasta. Trust me on this one (I'll have pics too!).

Question of the day: You know how in a final battle, the hero usually has a clever plan up his sleeve to defeat the villain and ensure victory? ("That platform is actually a trap door into city jail!" "The snipers have you completely surrounded!") What is your secret weapon to ensure your success during these six weeks? If you don't have one yet, let's come up with one! You can have more than one also! Absurdly punny catchphrases post-victory is optional...

My secret weapons for succeeding in this challenge (besides this awesome team) are cooking my meals for the week in advance on Sundays so they are ready to eat; no excuses for unhealthy food! My secret weapon for making sure I work out and that I work hard is going to group classes. It pushes me, drives me to compete with others and myself (if she can get her knees that high, I can too!), and gives me a concrete event to go to instead of "oh yeah, I should work out at some point today..."

Yes! There is always room for more encouragers and encouragees! : D Sounds like you have some awesome goals and a ton of great cycling ahead of you for this 6 weeks! That's sounds really fun! I need to get my bike over here where I live so I can ride! Also, an IRONMAN? You, my dear, are a straight up BAMF. : D I love it!! 

I also like to hide veggies in things! bam! you just ate a veggie and didn't know it! : ) We also love our steamer basket. Don't steam them very long and they'll be tasty (salt and pepper!), with just the right amount of crunch for you! 

Thank you! I don't know about an Ironman... but my best friend has done 2 Ironmen and she's been trying to get me into triathlons for years. So far, I'm committed to a spring-distance triathlong... but we'll see how it goes. :)

What veggies do you steam? I've found recently that if I add a little lemon juice to my veg, it's way more palatable to me, even if a little mushy. :D 

Cooking meals in advance is SUCH a great idea. I need to do that more often. 

I work in a kitchen and part of the benefit of that is we get "staff meal" every day... but I need to just bring my own to ensure I'm getting real, whole, healthy food. 

My secret weapon for success is telling everyone I know about this challenge. Everybody at work, all my family, all my friends know what I'm doing, what my goals are... so I have surrounded myself with people that will hold me accountable. At work people ask me how many miles I did, or when my last ride was. Every time I call home, my dad asks me what my stats are. I'm very good at making excuses for myself, to myself..... but it's much harder to do that with so many people following my progress. 

I'm not sure this is a weapon for success, but definitely for getting back on track... whenever I'm feeling discouraged about my eating habits, or feeling like I'm too broke to afford good food (this is very difficult, btw, eating healthy on a budget), I look up stories on NF or other websites of the people who've made it happen. If these people can lose 100+ pounds and change their entire life, I can definitely do the same. 

Updated my challenge thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/37525-first-challenge-brings-a-need-for-speed/

I'm a day late on the question of the day but it has me thinking.  And all I can think of is...I don't want my 6 week challenge to be written by George R.R. Martin!  I don't want to end up like Ned Stark!  No!  

I really don't know!  And I'm nervous about this because I'm finally going to be working again starting Monday.  I mean, that's great news considering I won't be unemployed anymore, but I don't want to falter in my challenge.

So maybe I really need to sit down and pound out a schedule.  Maybe that will help?  Thoughts, team?  

Hey team!:)

Sorry I've been afk (away from keyboard) for a couple days. I've been exausted.

I don't know if I posted this yet but I've been doing the whole "standing desk" thing that Steve wrote about in a recent e-mail. So far I haven't caved in and sat since Tuedsday =O. It's not as easy as it looks, lol. I'm happy that I'm getting stronger and maintaining a healthy posture/body alighment. If I had to grade myself on activity in the past few days, I'd give myself a C+. I've been parking farthur away from classes (daytime) so that I walk more, I've been standing for several hours when I get on the computer, my sex life is very healthy (that counts right?;) and I started doing Xstretch (a p90x dvd) daily to get my out of shape body into the groove for what's to come. I also work on my feet as a server in a small diner and walk round a lot. I ditched my low-heeled boots and opted for flat boots/shoes. I noticed that standing at my desk has already made my feet less prone to hurting after working on my feet all night. Granted, I only work a couple days a week but hey. I decided that since I'm 22, I am young enough to do what I did in HS when I wanted to slim down...which was basically watch my portions and make healthy choices whenever possible. Lately, I've been so ...phobic? of eating unhealthily (chemicals, processed stuff, gmos etc) that I actually was barely eating anything. If no "perfect" choice was avaialble...I'd skip food altogether. I'm so done with that battle.

Making the choice to feed my body to the best of my ability...within the options I have available (within my control) is the best choice I've made in awhile.

I'll log my body measurements soon. Prolly Monday ish.

The 6 week challenge is on, so far I've seen positive change...mentally and emotionally.

Oh and I'm bidding on some vibrams;) wish me luck!

Question of the day: You know how in a final battle, the hero usually has a clever plan up his sleeve to defeat the villain and ensure victory? ("That platform is actually a trap door into city jail!" "The snipers have you completely surrounded!") What is your secret weapon to ensure your success during these six weeks? If you don't have one yet, let's come up with one! You can have more than one also! Absurdly punny catchphrases post-victory is optional...

Hmm, my secret weapon is going to the Dallas Bull. I want to be fit more than ever, I love to dance but kind fell out of it b.c my hubby doesn't dance (freestyle). My hubby is super fit. We went to the Dallas Bull Wednesday night and had a blast...he was so happy b.c he picked the steps right up (he's a 3rd deg black belt in TKD...they know alot of "steps") and looked amazing! He's taking me line dancing now every week (b.c we both LOVED it) and so I want to look super hot for him (and me) =)

I've got a line dancing instruction dvd in the mail! It's gonna whip me right into shape!=)