• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lauren A.

First Time Challengers Team: The Encouragers!

Well, I had a little mishap yesterday...  full story here. Bottom line is, I can't lift anything or apply any pressure to my right arm/elbow, and I'm limping on my right leg. Depending on how I feel in couple days, I may go to the doctor to make sure nothing is broken or torn in my elbow...I'm really not sure at this point. I've gotta rework my workout plan for this week so that I keep working and don't lose momentum, but also allow my body to heal. No upper body strength training for me though. 

Meal plan is set for the week, detailed on my challenge. More breakfast omelet pucks, zucchini pasta, braised brisket, chicken salad. Recipes forthcoming! : D

Remember tomorrow is the official check-in day! Feel free to share whatever you like! Whether its a detailed report, highlights, milestones/breakthroughs, challenges you overcame, whatever you want to share to sum up your first week!! And tell us about week 2! Adjustments you are going to make, additions to your goals, whatever!

One down, five to go! We can do this!!

Monday check in!

I have to say that by Friday I was feeling incredible.  I felt toned, I felt light, and I felt like I could just flit around everywhere.  It was great.  But this weekend...I messed up my schedule.  I didn't swim on Sunday and I take Saturday as an off day.  And by Sunday night, I felt kind of yucky again.  I also ate a lot of sweets.  I'm not sure what I was thinking...actually...I wasn't really thinking.  I don't think I was mindful of it at all.  So, enough of that mess!  

This morning I got right out of bed, into my gym clothes, made my morning smoothie, and went straight to the gym.  While doing my 30 minute cardio, I noticed that my intervals felt way too easy (yay!) and that my breathing and heart beat felt much more steady (yay! yay!).

How's everyone else holding up??

Good for you Sunshine Killah! It's all about not letting setbacks get you down.

I am having the same issue on weekends. I eat really well all week long. But when I'm at home more, I start thinking about ordering out food or how I could really go for some ice cream or a cannoli, It's my free time that's screwing me up so I need to figure out how to mitigate that. 

I feel OK about this past week. I didn't get in my long ride because it was raining all weekend. I'm just going to use this as motivation to work harder this week. I'm pumped and ready to ride, just waiting for the weather to agree with me. 

I am having the same issue on weekends. I eat really well all week long. But when I'm at home more, I start thinking about ordering out food or how I could really go for some ice cream or a cannoli, It's my free time that's screwing me up so I need to figure out how to mitigate that. 

Angelinab, I can't even think of a way to replace those behaviors!  I've been thinking about it, and the weekends are when my mind is like "SWEETS, CARBS, BEER, BEER.  BEER!"  

Anybody have any thoughts on how to stop that cycle?  

Weekly check-in! I give myself a B for the week. I ate very well, I tried a few new recipes, and I only missed one weight lifting workout.

Weekends can be totally hard. I really do have to keep reminding myself that I don't want to undo any good I did throughout the week. Another good idea is to have a non-food reward to look forward to when you reach a goal/complete the challenge. A new outfit, book, trip...whatever it is.

But you also can't get mad at yourself if you eat carbs (or whatever) or skip a workout. Just pick back up the next meal or the next day and keep going. I like to keep an actual paper calendar showing what days I worked out. Seeing the X's in the boxes helps me keep going. I don't want to miss a day on my calendar!

First off... Sorry to hear about the mishap Lauren A.  hope you are doing better today! 

Weekly Check in!  So I know this is like a you either did it, or you didnt situation, but this week I am allowing myself some grey area since I started late! Lol.  Overall, I feel i did pretty well.  I completed each of my three goals... Kinda.  I'm supposed to go to the gym 3 times a week, and this week i only went once, BUT... i did do two Wii Fitness workouts, so I'm counting it!  I also managed achieve my goal of not drinking alcohol on more than two days/occasions - red wine Thursday and a couple beers bowling on Saturday.  This is a HUGE step up from the last few weeks for me... I unfortunately got into the habit of having a nightcap ALMOST, well, nightly.  I am pretty sure that is a huge role in my recent weight gain.  I should just remove it altogether, but I'm starting off small.

I'm not sure if there is a real strategy in keeping beers/alcohol off your mind on the weekends!  As long as you limit your intake, or find other "sober" things to do to distract you maybe.  Has anyone ever tried the "Cheat Day" type diets?... Where you eat good all week and then give yourself one free day on the weekend to eat whatever you want.  I havent tried this before, but i've heard it works well for a lot of people so i was curious on this team's input!?

As mentioned. it's important that we dont be too hard on ourselves for missing the mark here and there.  I am guilty of sometimes letting myself go off a single slip up.  Mistakes happen, but let's remember to stay focused on the prize and to step up the next day (or even within the same day) to counteract the setback.  In my personal experience, when I forgive myself and dont veer off the path, as it's so easy to do, I feel even more empowered knowing that I didnt let that setback ruin my course.  Just like in any video game, we often have an extra life or a health meter, allowing us to make mistakes in the game, learn from them, and then go on to beat that level to get to the next.  There are always opportunities to earn extra lives or increase your health meter later in the level or later in the game.  We just have to stick with it.

Great advice about just getting right back on the path, Dinyell, and thanks for the well wishes! I do think one can succeed with a designated 'cheat' time. You might want to make it one or two meals instead of an entire day though because I know how much i can snack/eat/drink etc. in one day. But if it's a designated meal, you can still look forward to it without giving yourself free reign to snack all day etc. 

So I wrote a big update post and then I lost it : ( Sad times. Let's try again (this version will be much shortened):

Food: Grade B

ate paleo all week except a whole wheat pizza and a TJ's 100 calorie chocolate bar on Saturday after my little accident, and a beer on Sunday, and a 1.5x1.5 inch square of a pumpkin chocolate chip bar : D it was worth it.

Workouts: Grade B+ (grading on a curve for misfortune, lol)

Everything went well except that my injuries waylaid my Sunday workout plans (cardio)

M- cardio (kickboxing) and strength (resistance bands and bodyweight)

Tu- off

W- barbells

Th- H.I. cardio and sundry strength training (mostly abs, arms, and squats)

F- off

Sa- H.I. cardio and strength (resistance bands and bodyweight and dumbbells (i don't think I've ever sweat more in my life, lol))

Su- planned cardio (zumba!) - took day off for injury recovery

Sleep: Grade B

Did better than I thought I would, Got 7hrs or more for 5 nights, and 5hrs and a restless 6hrs the other nights.

Life goal: get new job - I've been applying to jobs! One already got filled, but I'm almost done with another application and have about 4 total I'm turning in this week!

Team grade: A+++++++++

You guys rock! It's been so great having this team at my side and in the back of my mind! I'll think 'I don't want to disappoint them and not meet this goal!' or maybe, 'They'll understand my struggle and maybe have some advice too!' You all get ALL THE GOLD STARS from me : D! Thanks for being awesome, you guys are inspirational!

And just for FUN, some injury pictures!! haha

IMG 0861

thigh

IMG 0857

elbow

IMG 0862

lower leg

Hope that didn't gross you out too much! My husband declared that my thigh bruise looks like a football, I'm inclined to agree. : D Hope you all have an awesome start to week two!!!!

There are always opportunities to earn extra lives or increase your health meter later in the level or later in the game.  We just have to stick with it.

Dinyell, what an awesome attitude=) I couldn't agree more. Since we're talking about games. My guy is kind've doing "Easter Eggs" for me. I made a workout wishlist. Inexpensive stuff mostly. I set aside $100 for the budget. As he sees me be a good girl and work hard...he "grants wishes" at random...it's alot of fun because I never know what I'm going to get at any given time (and he leaves them around the house with an HP value attached. It's a lot of fun. We got the idea from one of Steve's emails. lol

So I wrote a big update post and then I lost it : ( Sad times. Let's try again (this version will be much shortened):

Food: Grade B

ate paleo all week except a whole wheat pizza and a TJ's 100 calorie chocolate bar on Saturday after my little accident, and a beer on Sunday, and a 1.5x1.5 inch square of a pumpkin chocolate chip bar : D it was worth it.

Workouts: Grade B+ (grading on a curve for misfortune, lol)

Everything went well except that my injuries waylaid my Sunday workout plans (cardio)

M- cardio (kickboxing) and strength (resistance bands and bodyweight)

Tu- off

W- barbells

Th- H.I. cardio and sundry strength training (mostly abs, arms, and squats)

F- off

Sa- H.I. cardio and strength (resistance bands and bodyweight and dumbbells (i don't think I've ever sweat more in my life, lol))

Su- planned cardio (zumba!) - took day off for injury recovery

Sleep: Grade B

Did better than I thought I would, Got 7hrs or more for 5 nights, and 5hrs and a restless 6hrs the other nights.

Life goal: get new job - I've been applying to jobs! One already got filled, but I'm almost done with another application and have about 4 total I'm turning in this week!

Team grade: A+++++++++

You guys rock! It's been so great having this team at my side and in the back of my mind! I'll think 'I don't want to disappoint them and not meet this goal!' or maybe, 'They'll understand my struggle and maybe have some advice too!' You all get ALL THE GOLD STARS from me : D! Thanks for being awesome, you guys are inspirational!

And just for FUN, some injury pictures!! haha

thigh
elbow
lower leg

Hope that didn't gross you out too much! My husband declared that my thigh bruise looks like a football, I'm inclined to agree. : D Hope you all have an awesome start to week two!!!!

It does look like a football. lol. I hope you feel better! Good job!!!!!!! =)

Hey Team! =) You guys are so awesome. I'm so happy I have you guys to be accountable to!

Well. I'm waiting for my Vibram KSOs to get here (Ebay $40 brand spankin' new)! =D It's been raining like a tropical storm here in Tampa, Fl. so I've been sticking to my X Stretch (before you scoff it'd 45 minutes long and is kind've a workout for me) prep consistently; stretching is important - more than I ever realized to health/well being. It's great prep too for getting active when you've been sedentary most of your life IMO. Still standing -literally- at my desk...it got alot easier. I guess my feet muscles are getting stronger;) My overall posture is better too since swearing off sitting at my desk. Just saying, y'all should try it!

New:

I'm starting a pushup challenge today...I'm leary. I weigh 170lbs and it's hard for me to support my weight on my hands/forarms. Should I do "girl" pushups with perfect form or bite it and try man push ups (even though I won't get as many done b.c I lose form quickly doing those)???

I'm browsing for a good linedancing DVD, anybody know of one or where to go to get one for a good price?

I'm eating more, it's nice because I haven't been eating enough...I've been watching my portions and watching the dairy ( I have PCOS ) *can't give up my Activia!* and making sure I eat throughout the day.

I'm finding Almond Milk is an amazingly delish snack and is filling as long as you're only hungry for an actual snack. And they have dark chocolate almond milk O.O (I've given up candy)

Overall, I give myself a C+ since I'm building new habits and still "setting up for success". You guys are actually in the thick of a workout routine whereas I'm just in a...routine.

Here's the Pushup Challenge anyone want to do it with me?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzvtj2hwmf2sf34/CAM00187.jpg

Seeing the X's in the boxes helps me keep going. I don't want to miss a day on my calendar!

I'm gonna try the calandar...I'm an honorary obsessive compulsive...I wouldn't want to miss a day...it would drive me crazy!

Great idea! And Good job this week, you rock!

Hey Team! Sorry I've been MIA for a few days. Things just got super busy with schedules. So my late Monday check in follows:

Running: I give myself a B+. I missed one run last Friday and I overslept Saturday and missed meeting my group but I still got out and did my 7 miles. Sunday was a rest day and yesterday I am proud to say I had an awesome 4.5 mile run! 

Eating: C+ I had to resort to fast food a couple of times this weekend due to stuff that came up unexpectedly but I still managed to stay on the "healthier" side of that. I did totally cave though and drank like 3 dr. pepper so I definitely need to get back on top of my water intake. 

Yoga: A- I got one good yoga workout and one quick/semi ok workout in last week. 

To answer a daily question I missed: My secret weapon would probably be this team for the most part. I can't really think of anything else that would qualify as a secret weapon. 

The hardest thing for me is the eating. I'm constantly craving the sweet not healthy junk and even when I ignore it and eat something healthy and sweet (fruit etc) I still want to cave on the junk! I also need to start really planning my meals again because slacked on that so we end up just scrambling for dinner. 

Still standing -literally- at my desk...it got alot easier. I guess my feet muscles are getting stronger;) My overall posture is better too since swearing off sitting at my desk. Just saying, y'all should try it!

Here's the Pushup Challenge anyone want to do it with me?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzvtj2hwmf2sf34/CAM00187.jpg

I wil totally try out the pushup challenge with you! I've been thinking about adding some upper body workout in with my running so my arms don't feel left out. 

Also I read Steve's article about a "standing desk" and I too have set up a "desk" area for myself at my bar to use instead of sitting at the table like I usually do. I've only tried it a couple of days so I'm still getting used to it but I'm liking it so far!

I think upper arm work will feature prominently in my next challenge. I can barely do 3 modified push ups. 

In other news, I just made a very delicious paleo meatloaf for dinner. I had to restrain myself from eating an entire loaf. SO DELICIOUS.

Lauren A... I hope you are feeling alright! Those bruises and scrapes are insane. I always feel like as soon as I am ready to make a real change in my life, be it career, health, location, relationships, etc... some crazy obstacle gets thrown in the mix right at the beginning. It's going to make your accomplishments feel that much sweeter when you are able to reach your goals in spite of this "hiccup". 

Blueshift22... I'm in Tampa Bay area too. This nonstop rain has kept me off my bike for 4 days and I'm climbing the walls! It's definitely convinced me that my next big purchase needs to be a bike trainer so I can still ride inside during crappy weather. 

I think upper arm work will feature prominently in my next challenge. I can barely do 3 modified push ups. 

In other news, I just made a very delicious paleo meatloaf for dinner. I had to restrain myself from eating an entire loaf. SO DELICIOUS.

Yeah, my arms are sadly so weak, I'm excited to get them strong again (I used to be a beast! lol) Thanks for the recipe link!!

Lauren A... I hope you are feeling alright! Those bruises and scrapes are insane. I always feel like as soon as I am ready to make a real change in my life, be it career, health, location, relationships, etc... some crazy obstacle gets thrown in the mix right at the beginning. It's going to make your accomplishments feel that much sweeter when you are able to reach your goals in spite of this "hiccup". 

And yeah, this has been quite the hiccup week for me : / I haven't worked out at all because I've been so sore, (my grade is sitting at a D right now) but at least my food has still been mostly on point. I am a lot more restless and unhappy with myself everyday I don't go workout. Trying to remedy that this weekend (plus cleaning the whole house tomorrow--a workout in itself!)

On a happier note, I applied for a job that I'm realllly excited about and reallllly perfect for!! Hoping for great things!! : D!

Question for today: What is one thing that you've tried/done recently (workout and/or food wise, or whatever!) and you found, surprisingly, that you really enjoyed it?

Honestly, my answer is working out, period. I think I always associated working out with running, which I really don't enjoy. When I put in a good workout I feel accomplished. I also love sweating, honestly. It makes me feel clean, of all things, haha. : D What is something you are enjoying that's surprised you?

We must be team injury over here.  I'm not injured due to injury, but my right knee has been swollen and feeling wonky for the past two days :(  So I've been taking it lightly on the exercise front.  I am going to go swimming today after work.  At least I'll get some good cardio in.

That leads me to the answer for my question of the day.  I'm with Lauren.  I love working out and working up a gross, sweaty funk.  I love it.  When I'm on the elliptical or another fancy cardio machine, I have to restrain myself from asking people if they want to embark on a quest with me.  This is especially bad if I'm listening to Iron Maiden.

I'm also really surprised at how much I like swimming laps.  I was on a swim team when I was really young (middle school).  And I was terrible.  Awful.  We would have swim meets and I was always the slowest.  And if we had relays I felt bad for everyone else on my team.  It didn't help that this was middle school and I was already at peak awkward stage.  After that experience, I kind of shunned swimming.  But I decided to give it a go again since my gym has a pool.  And, for real, for real, when I smell the pool and I hear the water I get so excited.  I'm still pretty slow and probably look like a seal having a seizure when I come up for air but I'm going to keep on swimming.  I love the way my body feels after.  

SWEATING FTW!!

Rest up your knee Sunshine! RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and just take it easy. And ice is so crucial! I have very bad patellofemoral pain syndrome (i.e. runner's knee, i.e. there's no cartilage left on the outside of my knee caps, just bone on bone, agghhh.) So I have orthotics and knee braces (though I've been getting into taping lately, and it's way more awesome than braces) and a whole array of physical therapy exercises that I need to do more often....

Best thing you can do for your knees? Strengthen your hip flexors. Seriously. I can wax eloquent on knees for quite a while if anyone else has knee issues, lol! Most women have some degree of knee problem because at puberty, our hips widen, turning us a little knock kneed/throwing our knee tracking off, and that's killer on your knees, especially over time, and especially if you're really active, and/or carry extra weight, etc.

Way to adjust your workouts despite the knee trouble and keep your momentum going! Maintaining my momentum is my biggest challenge (especially this week, haha). I'm also dealing with shin splints... blarg. I just want to get like a loan on losing weight so there's not so much pressure on my legs/knees, yah know? Like, take off the weight now, and I'll do all the work it would have taken to lose it...Haha. It'd be a lot easier to workout with 60 extra pounds gone!

And thanks for the job luck!! : D! I'm excited!

I'm starting a pushup challenge today...I'm leary. I weigh 170lbs and it's hard for me to support my weight on my hands/forarms. Should I do "girl" pushups with perfect form or bite it and try man push ups (even though I won't get as many done b.c I lose form quickly doing those)???

Here's the Pushup Challenge anyone want to do it with me? https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzvtj2hwmf2sf34/CAM00187.jpg

Definitely perfect form with knee pushups and then go from there to regular ones. Form is first and foremost, even if you can only do one, do it perfectly. I know what you mean about having trouble with extra bodyweight. Therefore, when we are way weaker, the bodyweight challenges are way harder! It can get frustrating. That challenge looks tough! Can I do the 'Child' one? hahaha. I've been trying to work up the steam to do a 30-day plank challenge, bc my core is a joke, lol.

I wil totally try out the pushup challenge with you! I've been thinking about adding some upper body workout in with my running so my arms don't feel left out. 

Also I read Steve's article about a "standing desk" and I too have set up a "desk" area for myself at my bar to use instead of sitting at the table like I usually do. I've only tried it a couple of days so I'm still getting used to it but I'm liking it so far!

Yay! (Yeah so I've been replying to email notifications b.c my computer bluescreened. I guess they're not going anywhere (they don't come back either...soo...) Anyways,

Pushup challenge: I did the first day at 25 pushups. It was brutal. First of all I wouldn't call them push-ups...I would call them lowering and pushing. As recommended, I did the "girl" pushups with perfect form with my hands dirctly positioned beneath my shoulders, neutral spine, knees supported on a rolled up yoga mat. Yeah, I controled my descent slowly but couldn't hold my body off the floor when I got within 3-4 inces from the floor...so I flopped on my belly like a seal...and pushed. lol I couldn't get up:( I had to jolt myself to get to where my elbows could "catch" my weight to push all the way back up. HOWEVER, I'm soreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee two days later, the elusive triceps are soreeeeee...where I want to firm up! And my core is sore too. One of you ladies joked about doing the child pushup challenge *3 levels on that one chart* and I was inclined to do that challenge BUT I'm sticking with the beginner adult challenge because I want to see results. I may have to skip a day to recover but I can feel that I'm doing my body good. I'll just keep PUSHING until I can PUSH UP. I'm pushing as hard as I can, my body will eventually adapt I just got to keep at it! =)

VIBRAM 5 FINGER TOE SHOES:

I GOT THEM AND I NEVER WANNA TAKE EM OFF:) AS predicted, I'm outside more exploring and working out more.

Question of the day:

Exercise: XStretch is making me stronger, it's not a lazy 45 minutes stretch...we do static and ballistic...incorporating compund movements and a lot of yoga and kenpo. My hubby noticed after a week that I'm WAY more flexible, lol. I feel lithe like a bow. I feel skinner if that makes sense. I'm also standing at my desk, standing when I eat and just standing over sitting in general. Especially in my Vibrams...my walk/gait and posture improved 100% within one day. It's insane. I walk and stand on the ball of my foot instead of the heel while wearing them. Perspective, wearing them made my calves tender...that's how diff my body holds itself w Vibrams.

Food: I'm eating whenever I am hungry, making the best choice available in that moment. Eating more is making me happy...and I'm also moving more too. I just don't think about food anymore. I'm tired of it.

Hip Flexors & Knees:

Sitting a lot/sendentary lifestyles stretch out the hamstrings and shorten/atrophy(???) the hip flexors...so being active and stretc hing...maybe even focusing on a short routine for the HFs specifically would help the knees IMO. Steve posted a GREAT hip flexor stretch/workout routine...it as either bundled in with the standing desak article or the playground workout article.

Lauren, I hope your shin splints go away fast, ouchie:(

I'm down for a plank challenge next month!:)

Swimming sounds fun, wish I had a pool. It's hot as hell in Tampa today...it'll rain at 430 though...like every day. lol I have to go mow the yard...

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK EVERYONE:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

How's the PC coming??=) I posted BELOW.

How's the PC coming??=) I posted BELOW.

Its going ok. I missed a couple days due to some unexpected errands coming up but I'm trying thats what counts right?? I too have to do the "girl" push ups as I'm not quite to the point to do them the other way. My arms are super sore too. It also doesn't help that its been hot so I've been carrying a waterbottle with me on my runs and thats effecting my shoulders too. Hopefully between the water bottle and the push ups my arms will get stronger! :)