• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lauren A.

First Time Challengers Team: The Encouragers!

Happy Monday Check in!

This week absolutely flew by for me. I can't believe it's already Monday again. I took the week off from working out to recover. Stayed paleo during the week and had a couple cheat snacks here and there on the weekend, but I did better than I thought I would. : D Workouts are resuming this week! I just gotta get my momentum back up!

How's everyone else doing? Have a great week!!

I also thought this week flew by! 

Monday check in:

Diet-wise, I did better this week than last, but I think that's because I've been getting much busier at work and haven't had a day off this week! Still, I'll take it. Other than a burger tonight, I stuck to the plan. 

Because of the rain, I missed a bike ride but I did get in 2 of 3. 

Funny story: There is a bridge with a steep incline on my bike route that just kills me every time. No matter what, I end up slowing to a crawl with a train of cars behind me. So this time I was just so determined to push through and get up the bridge at a steady pace. I dropped to a low gear beforehand, got some good momentum going and as soon as I started on the incline I started talking to myself out loud "you can do this, come on" At the middle of the incline I just started screaming, "SHUT UP, LEGS! JUST SHUT UP AND DO WHAT YOU'RE TOLD!"... and it did work in getting me to push past the pain. Too bad the group of pedestrians at the top of the bridge were staring at me like I'm a crazy person... but you know, I'd do it again and I probably will do it again until going up that bridge is no big deal. 

One segment of my ride, I've been going almost 21mph, pretty consistently. The app I use to track my stats has a leaderboard for different segments and that particular segment I am #11 out of 25. Only 12 seconds separate me from being #1, so that's encouraging. Overall, I've shaved 8 minutes off my 10 mile ride since this challenge started.

A coworker asked me if I've lost weight, which is the highest compliment! The numbers on the scale haven't changed significantly but I am noticing that clothes fit a little bit looser. 

Next week I have another busy work week, probably won't have a day off again until next Monday. I'm finding that staying very busy is actually good for me, so I'm going to try to maintain that through the rest of the challenge. 

Can't wait to see how everyone else is doing! 

A coworker asked me if I've lost weight, which is the highest compliment! The numbers on the scale haven't changed significantly but I am noticing that clothes fit a little bit looser. 

Hooray for that!! I've had that happen several times this week too, and I'm fitting in an old pair of work pants I couldn't use before! Yay! : D Clothes are sometimes the easiest sign that things are changing! I know some people who even use pieces of clothing as milestones that they use to track their weight loss, or as a final goal.

Yay Angelina! Sounds like a good week!

Hi y'all!  I am late to the game, but just started my first challenge.  Just thought I'd say hi to other newbies!

I'm also dealing with shin splints... blarg.

I know I am a few days late, but this exercise has really helped me with shin splints.  I really recommend it!

Welcome to the team, Jennab! We are so glad to have you!! And thanks so much for the link, I'm excited to go home and try it! Do you know how long it was till you started to notice a difference?

Also, your profile picture is the BEST. Who's ready for CHOPTOBER?? : D!!! yay Braves!! lol : )

Off to read your thread!

Hi Lauren! It took about a week to stop feeling any discomfort, but it eased up after a couple days.  I don't do it every day anymore, but try to do it a couple times a week just in case.

I am soooooo ready for CHOPTOBER!  I am going to the games on Thursday and Friday and I can't wait!!!!!!! 

Awesome, I will do the exercise tonight!!

OMG. YAY! Super lucky you!! I've been trying to find a time to take my hubs to a game--only a 6 hour drive--probably next year though! We watch them all.

Have SO MUCH FUN!!! Yell loud for me! Chop on!

I live about 10 minutes from the stadium, so I am there whenever I can be.  I will definitely be yelling loud for both of us!  My chop arm is strong!

Amazing!! That's so awesome! I bet your summers are BUSY!  : D

Definitely... which also explains why one of my goals for this challenge is getting more sleep.  I get up between 5:15 and 5:30 to be at FitWit by 6 am.  I work full time and if I go straight to a Braves game after work, it is a loooooong day.  Hopefully I'll develop better habits over the winter that I can apply to next season in that regard.

OKay, so my Mondays are really busy; here's my update.

My arms are getting stronger! I can start the weed wacker without my dad now! And I can hold it longer before my arms go numb. lol. The pushup challenge is going good, I'm glad I'm keeping up with it. I don't do it every day, my arms are too sore after  -- but I do it every other day and am still seeing results! The Xstretch has me really limber;) Now that I have good posture again (xstretch, standing desk and vibrams FTW) and my muscles are stretched back out I am gonna add in some cardio and more strength/body weight exercises. I think I'm gonna do Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 with the Xstretch and the push up challenge. I keep saying I'm ordering a line dancing dvd but the one I want is $30 and what if I don't like the one I buy? 'Can't return dvds...or maybe that's just at department stores *shrug*. I'm going line dancing tomorrow with my best friend and maybe the hubby if he's up for it -- I hope I pick up some more steps.

Foodwise, I'm moving in a more Paleo direction. Lots of meat, eggs, yogurt, fruit, veggies and nuts/nut milk. I'm just glad to be eating more. I'm happier. I was like, starving myself (metabolically not literally) I think my body wasn't relaeasing wieght because I was keeping myself in a storage mode by not eating enough calories. My metabolism is speeding up again, I have more energy and am over-sleeping less. Yay!

Ughh, guys, I have to tell you my boss is driving me crazy. I work at a mom n pop sandwich shop and the pop is crazy. Please pray I find another part time job soon so I can quit. I'm having trouble because I only need to work 2-3 days a week. Corporate places don't like to hire for such a limited availability...any ideas? I might have a new gig tomorrow, but everytime my staffing agent calls it's always too far away=/

& I bombed my first Veterinary Medical Terminology exam. I studied really hard, it was on 4 chapters. But I guess I studied the content more than the vocabulary and the vocab's word parts=/ One was vacu-ole...define "ole". (As opposed to the def of the word) I'm kind've crushed. What's worse is I don't need this class anymore...this whole semester is actually a waste of time because I finally found my calling in Wildlife Ecology 7 Conservation (Environmental Science)...which happens to call for different classes...I can't drop or withdraw or I lose my scholarship...so I have to get through the classes and pass ©. I want to get A's so my GPA goes up...I have a 3.2...I want at least a 3.5+ when I transfer to UF. It's hard because I know I'm kind've wasting my time...it's killing my motivation. =/

And I'm behind in Zoology because I work Mondays nights...and often after working FRI SAT OR SUNI'm just exausted...and I miss lab:( I think I should quit...but I need some money.

Ughh.

So who's gonna join the Academy???! =]

@blueshift 22: you are being a baller with this push up challenge! Good on you! Sorry work stinks, I know the feeling (see my life side quest, lol) Good luck with school too! You are a busy lady!

My question exactly! Anyone joining the academy?

I would love to but I think I'm just not ready yet (and not ready to pay $99 for it either--I would want the full version). I have some incredible gym resources that I already pay for (my husband is getting his PhD at our alma mater, so I can get a cheap membership to all of the campus rec services, which are VAST, and SO affordable, I pay for the year what my sister outside of DC would have to pay for a month, pretty sweet). I'm also terrible at doing exercises at home on my own.

I'd really love to hear everyone else's thoughts on the Academy and if you are joining and why or why not! (I just wish I could see the demonstration vids and the interviews! That's what I really want).

Those breakfast options look good, Lauren!  I need to branch out in breakfasts.  I almost always make an egg bake with carrots and zucchini and add a couple slices of grass fed bacon.  It's tasty and easy, but getting boring.  I've been thinking of making something like this, but breaking it down a little differently.  I generally eat breakfast after I get to work, so my thought is I could make the sweet potato, meat, and spinach part at the beginning of the week and take a serving to work daily.  Then at work, I would warm it, microwave scramble an egg, and add some avocado just before eating.

I am on the fence about the Academy.  Like you, Lauren, I would want to do the $99 version.  I have a pretty good work out plan and my eating is decent.  I do a Crossfit-esque bootcamp called FitWit 4 days a week, so I get strength training with a side of cardio, plus I am doing Couch to 5k on my own for extra cardio. I am not internally motivated to exercise, so FitWit is great, plus they make sure my form is good and push me harder than I would ever push myself. I follow the Practical Paleo Fat Loss guide a lot of the time, though I am branching out to other recipes/cookbooks.

On the other hand, I am really interested in the Philosophy, women's fitness, and travel aspect of it.  I need to learn exercises I can do with minimal equipment outside of FitWit, especially since my sister just had a baby and I see myself heading up to Nashville more regularly now.  I don't have a gym there, plus their way of eating is drastically different than mine. Plus the extra support would be great.  So I am leaning towards doing it.  But the price on top of paying for FitWit and organic/grass fed food is kind of painful to my wallet.

Good luck with your job search and school, blueshift22.  Hopefully you find a job you like better.  Good job with the push ups!  I am trying to switch from knee to toe pushups, but can only do one or two from my toes.

eta - I do like that the money is refundable if I decide it isn't useful to me and the cost is for lifetime access.

Quick question! Does anybody have a good resource or recipe for a yummy protein shake/drink? I'd dearly love to buy Mark Sisson's (Mark's Daily Apple) Primal Fuel, but my hubs isn't enthused about the cost. Anybody have a brand that's clean that they love? Or a surefire recipe? : D!!

Guys, make sure you also watch the video posted under caffeineaphile's challenge post. It's flipping amazing. And grab tissues too. : D It'll inspire you to get off your comparatively healthy butt and be awesome. Let's spread the encouragement!

Quick question! Does anybody have a good resource or recipe for a yummy protein shake/drink? I'd dearly love to buy Mark Sisson's (Mark's Daily Apple) Primal Fuel, but my hubs isn't enthused about the cost. Anybody have a brand that's clean that they love? Or a surefire recipe? : D!!

Hey Lauren!  So I use this recipe for smoothies http://www.nomeatathlete.com/the-perfect-smoothie-formula/

It is from the No Meat Athlete so it is vegan...BUT you could certainly play around with the ingredients!  I've been having smoothies nearly every morning for breakfast for about a month now.  I really like it and certainly see the effects of getting a big shot of protein in the morning.  And it sneaks in a nice portion of fruit.  Yum yum yum.  I've been buying hemp protein powder.  

Not sure if that's what you're looking for but maybe it will give you some ideas.  

Ughh, guys, I have to tell you my boss is driving me crazy. I work at a mom n pop sandwich shop and the pop is crazy. Please pray I find another part time job soon so I can quit. I'm having trouble because I only need to work 2-3 days a week. Corporate places don't like to hire for such a limited availability...any ideas? I might have a new gig tomorrow, but everytime my staffing agent calls it's always too far away=/

& I bombed my first Veterinary Medical Terminology exam. I studied really hard, it was on 4 chapters. But I guess I studied the content more than the vocabulary and the vocab's word parts=/ One was vacu-ole...define "ole". (As opposed to the def of the word) I'm kind've crushed. What's worse is I don't need this class anymore...this whole semester is actually a waste of time because I finally found my calling in Wildlife Ecology 7 Conservation (Environmental Science)...which happens to call for different classes...I can't drop or withdraw or I lose my scholarship...so I have to get through the classing es and pass ©. I want to get A's so my GPA goes up...I have a 3.2...I want at least a 3.5+ when I transfer to UF. It's hard because I know I'm kind've wasting my time...it's killing my motivation. =/

And I'm behind in Zoology because I work Mondays nights...and often after working FRI SAT OR SUNI'm just exausted...and I miss lab:( I think I should quit...but I need some money.

Ughh.

Managing school and work can be so difficult and trying sometimes.  I'm sorry that it's killing your motivation.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you in hopes that you find a new gig.  It'll all be worth it in the end!

Hi, hi, hi, team.

Sorry I fell off of the grid for a little bit.  I'm a wee bit bummed because my knee is still bothering me.  It hasn't gotten any worst but I'm taking it easy on it just in case.  I am resting my knee, keeping it elevated, and icing it.

So, this week I only did 1 day of upper body strength training and cardio.  I did swim laps two other days this week.  Yesterday I surprised myself by swimming a whole bunch of laps before I realized that I needed to take a break.  It was exciting!

I stepped on the scale for the first time in 2 weeks.  It had me down 2 pounds.  I know it's not a lot, but I'm considering it a win!  I've been using heavier free weights and adding weight to the machines.  So, since muscle weighs more than fat and I'm down 2 pounds...I'm going to dust my shoulders off and feel good about it :)