SevenFootGeek returns to spite Creation

SevenFootGeek

Solar Exaltation is for heroes.  Those who look at the world and determine that it could be better and that they will take action.  Men and women of conviction and purpose.  These individuals can shake the foundations of Creation.  In all of their cases, they are presented with their heroic opportunity and they rise to the occasion, standing for their beliefs with the power of the Sun exploding from their bodies.  Many people face this opportunity.

But some of them fail.

defiler.png

Those who have heroic potential still choose to turn away from their destiny.  It is too hard.  They are frightened.  They feel weak.

It is in these moments that the Yozis smile.  From these failed heroes they create the Chosen of Hell.  The Infernal Exalted.

Empowered by mad, mewling things, driven beyond the borders of Creation , the Infernal Exalts are twisted away from their human heritage and pushed to embrace the alien and demonic.  They are joined, body and soul, with a demon of the First Circle, warping their minds and changing their bodies.  They see the horrors of Malfeas, the chaos and destruction that is life in the Demon City, and they call it home.  They stand, radiating the awful light of Ligier, the Green Sun, heroes of Hell and champions of the Yozi's cause.

Creation must be poisoned and corrupted so far that there is no distinguishing it from Malfeas.  When this occurs, their masters will be able to cross the boundary, free from their prison and wreak a terrible wrath upon all who have wronged them.  With this terrible purpose, they return to Creation's shores, full of malice and a twisted power.

What the Yozis have forgotten is that their servants, whom they have twisted as far as a human can go, were destined to be heroes.

I know I said I wasn't going to join this challenge.  I am still feeling very overwhelmed.  I'm not even sure how I'll be able to do.  But motivation comes from strange places sometimes.

I felt, and still feel, a failure.  But my goal has not yet changed.  If you didn't see my last challenge, allow me to restate.

To become worthy of a Solar Exaltation.

Exalted fans among the crowd may start frothing at the mouth with all this talk of an Infernal Exaltation when my goal is to become worthy of a Solar Exaltation.  Nerd scholars will admit that an Infernal Exaltation is merely a corrupted Solar Exaltation.  'Nuff said.

Going deeper into the nerdery here, I feel more like the Infernal Exaltation better suits my mood, temperament and current mental state.  My depression predisposes me to regard everything in my life as a failure.  My job, my marriage, my status as a friend, my whole life.  And this is even when I can logically stack up rather a large number of events that were overwhelmingly positive.  So it's hard for me to look at the potential for heroic opportunity and not immediately think that I would turn away.  That's when the Yozis begin their seductive temptation.

So how will we do this?  Well, the Yozis sure do have a lot to teach a budding Infernal.

Tap into Malfeas' indestructible fury

The Slayer Caste are the warrior-generals of Hell.  Malfeas gives them rage and potency.  They are unstoppable in battle.  I must channel my energy into the fight.  

Go to 2 hapkido classes a week.

Marked out of 12.  +1 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +1 Stamina

Follow the laws set down by Cecylene

Cecylene's laws are not the laws of Creation.  She decides almost on a whim what can and cannot be done within the Demon City.  Despite her madness, her priests enforce all of her laws with an iron fist.  One of those laws is a capacity for battle.  Might makes right in Malfeas.  So one must be ready for battle at all times.

I will accomplish this by starting a stretching routine.  I don't know any yoga, and my only access to yoga routines is though my wife's Wii Fit, but that's a start, right?  Twice weekly.

Marked out of 12.  +2 Dexterity, +1 Stamina

Live the unrelenting movement of Adorjan

The Silent Wind never stops moving.  And where she goes, all living things are silenced.  Forever.

Last challenge, I tried a push-up challenge.  And while I failed at it, I found it valuable to be building the habit of doing something physical every day.  Not strenuous or to make myself sweat like mad, but something.  

Do something physical every day.  Marked out of 42.  +1 Strength, +1 Stamina

I've been here for a little while, so there's a life goal, too.

Plumb the secret knowledge of She Who Lives in Her Name

The Pyrian Flame knows of things that Creation cannot even fathom.  When she shattered three of the spheres of her being against the walls of Malfeas, she destroyed concepts and ideas that even now cannot be known in Creation.  Surely she would know a thing or two about an Infernal Exalt.

I've started seeing a psychologist and I like how she approaches therapy.  My schedule to see her is entirely in my control.  And I need to make this consistent or I will never overcome my depression.  And it's expensive, despite having coverage through my and my wife's benefits.  So I am reluctant, even though it is necessary.

See my psychologist 3 times over the challenge.  +2 Wisdom, +1 Charisma

And a non-workout-y fitness goal.

Develop a secret plot worthy of the Ebon Dragon

The Ebon Dragon has been plotting his escape since he first set foot in Malfeas.  He has never succeeded, but it is in his nature to fail.  This has not stopped him from executing cunning plans throughout the millenia, including that which placed fifty Solar Exaltations into the hands of the Yozis.  For the Ebon Dragon, success is making a plan.

I often plan what to eat an hour before I eat.  Or when I'm at the grocery store.  I cook breakfast and dinner, but I often don't have a schedule before I actually need it.  I started working on this as a habit but life circumstances have knocked me right off the habit again.

Make 2 meal plans each week.  Planning for a whole week is too much.

Marked out of 12.  +2 Constitution, +1 WIsdom

Now for the disclaimer.  Everyone's support is great and I love all of you for it.  But I am likely to be pretty quiet this time around.  Physical activity is one of my soothing behaviours, so I'm definitely going to be trying to do this stuff.  If I don't respond to your encouragement or comments, I guarantee that I'm not trying to be anti-social or ignorant.  You guys inspire me, so I'm going to keep trying to fight the Infernal nature.

Even those who have fallen can stand again.  They might even be heroes.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Nice to see you here, 7FG. This challenge looks to be awesome, Infernal or not. Best of luck with everything!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix is an Avatar

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Fantastic  write up! 

I´m glad to read you man. Don´t worry about us. Take all the time you need. You have our support and respect.

Be that hidden hero!

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

Hey guys.  It's the end of the challenge and I figure I should report in.

Malfeas - Go to 2 hapkido classes a week.

Early on, I stumbled due to scheduling conflicts (one car and living an hour from the club) and started going more regularly.  But then I got my MRI results from my doctor for my knee.  Good news first.  No long term damage.  Nothing that will stop me from doing what I want.  The bad news?  Stay off that knee.  Give it the rest it needs.  Actually give it the rest it needs, not the "work until there starts being pain" rest I've been doing.  So, I got to a total of 4 classes over 6 weeks.  Poopy.

4 / 12 - D +0.25 Strength, +0.5 Dexterity, +0.25 Stamina

Cecylene - Stretch, bitch

I'm not sure what happened here.  I started stretching regularly and rolling out my IT band and it was good.  And then... I stopped.  Looking back, I think I overestimated my reserves of willpower to add in a new routine.  My wife is travelling to Guyana for a mission trip and the past month has been really hectic getting all of the fundraising finished.  I definitely got tunnel vision, so I did this way less than I should have.

7 / 12 - C +1 Dexterity, +0.5 Stamina

Adorjan - Move, son

I know exactly what happened here.  Too many new habits, too much to do.  I was very, very inconsistent with this goal.  I walked to the grocery store and back twice a week.  I did a set of push-ups a total of five times.  The euchre tournament we held was a haul stuff all day kind of day.  So a total of 18 out of a possible 42.  

18 / 42 - D  +0.25 Strength, +0.25 Stamina

She Who Lives In Her Name - Know thyself

This wasn't so much a goal as a requirement for life.  This was really what I was focusing on.  Pretty much all of my energy was going into the efforts I have been making to find the healthy mind space.  I've not yet been completely successful, but it has been very helpful.  So I made sure this was something I would do.  I made all three of my appointments (the last one being just on Friday) and I feel pretty good about that.

3 / 3 - A +2 Wisdom, +1 Charisma

Ebon Dragon - Plan your meals

I had intended to make two meal plans a week to build structure to my time.  After week one, I realized that was too much for me to do.  I started making plans for two days at a time.  That was enough for me to plan and think ahead without feeling overwhelmed.  But I did it!  Food!  Even if it was really simple food.

12 / 12 (though really 22 / 22)  +2 Constitution, +1 Wisdom

Lessons learned:

Don't try to build fitness habits when you've got emotional issues that make it hard for you to face the day in the first place.  As you can see, my fitness goals stumbled pretty heavily.  I'm still dealing with those issues and I think that's going to take me out of the running for the next challenge.  I want to get back to lifting, so my plan is to give my knee the rest it needs.  I have another four weeks of rest before I'm supposed to go back to training, so that's a big chunk out of the next challenge.  I'll be taking it easy and trying to keep up with everyone else.

Thanks for all of your support, guys.  It's still inspiring to read everything that you've all accomplished.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

It's all good, man. Don't worry. You had a lot on your plate, and it totally makes sense that setting fitness goals would be hard with the emotive issues you're dealing with. The good news is that it's quite possible to be healthy without necessarily having to work out. Obviously, you want to go back to Hapkido when you get a chance, but in the meantime, you need to rest, and you need to fuel your recovery.

You'll get there, man. You really will. In the meantime, it sounds like you had a lot going on on your own. That's cool. Life has to be lived, right?

Thanks for hanging out with us. Hope to see you again soon.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines