In which Eilyd works on her balance

Eilyd

Hello! I am back again. Spending the last challenge with the druids really fit well, and this challenge is rather an extension of the last one. I really appreciated your support!

My motivation: Don't Be Sick and Tired. Again. My job makes me sick and tired, and not exercising, eating right, or getting enough sleep make me sick and tired. No more.

My Main Quest: Become Well-Balanced

Goal 1: Win at Workouts

Last challenge I had 1 yoga day and 2 mixed-method days, which were neither vigorous enough to benefit me nor enjoyable enough to keep me motivated. This challenge I will be working out 6 days a week with my husband, Archbishop, alternating upper/lower body, except for 1 day which shall be yoga with a friend.

Goal 2: Regulate the Routine

Last challenge I established a spiritual routine of praying and reading my Bible every night, which was very helpful at keeping me mentally centered and emotionally stable. This challenge I expand on this: read Bible and pray every night, bed by 11:00. Wake up by 7:00, meditate, read devotional, and stretch. This should keep me focused  while other aspects of life are topsy-turvy.

Goal 3: Destroy Distractions

I am really good at wandering off on the Internet while I'm at work, which is bad in general and costs me about 2 hours a day of productivity. With the work change that I'm enacting, I need every minute I can get.  Thus, no Internet until 3:30 on work days.

Life Quest: Talk it up

I need to become Blogzilla (or at least a blogosaur). One post per week is still the goal. If I get 6/6 then I will...give myself something as a reward. Not sure on this one either.

Diet Quest: Everything in Moderation

This worked great last time to control my food choices, so it's basically the same thing again.

2 Ounces of alcohol per week, or 2 glasses of wine (on the RARE occasion I drink it)

1 Sugary thing per week - this way I save it for something "worth it"

1 Wheat thing per week. I've found wheat actually makes my joints hurt, so I don't even want it. But sometimes there are social situations where I feel rude not eating it, so I allow 1 per week. BUT if I make it through the whole week with none, I get 1 bonus point. 6 points at the end of the challenge earns me...a something. I am not yet sure what.

Side Quest (Untracked): Build-Your-Own...Job?

There's a hole at my company that I can fill: Director of Public and Employee Relations. There is no one to give a damn about anyone other than clients, which has led to serious breakdown in relationships and marketing.

On the marketing sideI want to get 50 new likes for our Facebook page by the end of the challenge (they only have 100, so it's a tall order).

On the relationships sideI want to get an Employee Profile Page in progress. Anything on that counts, because a lot of it is out of my control.

On the literal job side, if I accomplish the two above before the end of the challenge, I can push for the creation of a position devoted to these areas.

So that's it!  Good luck to you all, and thank you in advance for your support!

Edit: To re-prioritize things and include blogging, which I somehow forgot about.

Hooray for balance! Good luck, Eilyd!

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

41397-Picard-clapping-applause-gif-vX3R.

Archbishop Turpin, above the rest, Spurred his steed to a jutting crest. His sermon thus to the Franks he spake: "Lords, we are here for our monarch's sake; Hold we for him, though our death should come; Fight for the succor of Christendom. The battle approaches - ye know it well, For ye see the ranks of the infidel. Cry mea culpa, and lowly kneel; I will assoil you, your souls to heal. In death ye are holy martyrs crowned." The Franks alighted, and knelt on ground; In God's high name the host he blessed, And for penance gave them - to smite their best.

There is no class so pitiably wretched as that which possesses money and nothing else.

http://notebookscrawl.blogspot.com/

Journal

Current Challenge

Oh I totally knew the internet was created for that. I'm just trying to defy gravity.

Life: I wrote a blog post today! Yay! These are getting easier to do.

3/4 workouts so far--my dad had his final presentation for his Master's degree on Wednesday, so that totally took priority. (I am super proud of him)

4/4 routines, grading loosely--this first week, especially, I'm not being too rigorous in my standards, since it's hard to break the snooze habit on the first day

4/4 distractions. I was on mid-day today, but it was because I had blog ideas and wanted to write them, after that didn't get on until this evening.

Diet: Finished off a bottle of wine, which was like...half a glass. Will have a little punch tonight (punch=wine, as far as weight to the challenge)

Sorry for my absence! I was derping with the whole "under construction" thing, thinking it applied to the forums for longer than it did.

Last week:
5/6 Workouts. Missed Wednesday as mentioned.

7/7 Routines. Wow, time in the mornings? What is this nonsense?

5/5 Distractions. Did you know that you can get a whole lot done in 6 hours if you're not internetting?

Life: A! Blog post.

Diet: Check, check, and check. +1 bonus point for No Wheat.

Untracked: Facebook marketing is hard when you don't have full support from the company. No wonder they aren't getting results.

So guessssss what! We joined a gym! Now I have access to a squat rack and more than my body weight in plates and a bench and it's AWESOME. Except the gym is full of curl bros. Literally, when we were at the desk signing up, there was a guy doing curls in the squat rack. And there's 8 benches to 1 squat rack. And all sorts of superfluous machines. But it's CHEAP, only $22/month for both of us. AND I  CAN LIFT HEAVY THINGS. I had forgotten how much I like squatting and deadlifting.
Also I'm pretty sure the booty shorts I got at the end of last challenge are causing eye gravity. Heh. (Not to mention, oh, being the ONLY girl in the free weights section).

I think it's called the interwebs now because you get caught in it like a fly in a spiders web.

Rock some productivity claiming that lost time.

You're totally right. I hadn't thought of the intarwebz so literally. Must resist! (Oh, and this new job? It's putting me on twitter and FB to accomplish it. So only doing work on there is hard.)

Good goals! That's really great that your husband is on NF too--great support network! Question, your meditation. Are you doing a form of contemplative Christian meditation, or is this is just a more general type?

It is great to have him back for support. :) The specific morning meditation is super-general: close your eyes, envision a sphere. Breath and keep "looking" at the sphere. IT IS SO HARD. I tried to animate the sphere to grow and shrink with my breath, but that's even harder--and I get sort of flip-book animation.
When I do yoga and we have savasanas and focus periods, I will pick a Bible verse or a refrain from a hymn and meditate on that.

Hey Tenacious Glee, did you follow me on Twitter?

I did follow you! We were both mentioning NerdFitness in our Friday night tweets. I recognized your name from your blog.

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Ah! Such a great challenge!   I'm so glad the Druids worked out so well last time and that you have been able to extend it to this challenge.  You have super great goals :)

dinoblog.gif

I really wanted to find a good dino blogger gif... but this was the best I could come up with.  Ah well. Good luck!! :D

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Eilyd! So good to see you again!

I love your Diet Quest. I was thinking on cutting breads and sugary stuff, but I know I will fail miserably because I'm still doing the bread experiment XD

Eating in moderation is a very good strategy!

Have you decided the reward for your Life Quest?

Not a spirit of cowardice, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7
Intro | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Current Challenge

YO!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Hey! Here, just...otherwise occupied. But definitely Doing Things.

I still have not decided on the reward, but somehow that seems to be keeping me more accountable. Like, "Hmm, that pita would be tasty, but probably not tasty enough to offset the FANTASTIC SURPRISE at the end of this challenge! I wonder what it will be? I'd hate to lose it over an impulsive moment." Apparently I even like surprises from myself.

Laura, I appreciate the dino nonetheless. :)

2nd week:
6/6 Workouts. A

7/7 Routines. But I'm calling them a B, because while we got up and did The Things, it was still sort of late and there's snoozing.

4/5 Distractions. A. I got pretty bored with things one day last week, but there were some super awesome days, so I'm keeping it.

Life: Suck. No blog post, because there were Fun Things this weekend and I didn't make time for it.

Diet: 2/3. Had extra on the sweets due to fun things, but I still have not had wheat! (except for a tiny bit in the cookie and pumpkin roll. But I was counting thoseas sugar, because that was the primary motivator for eating them). +1 Bonus for No Wheat!

Untracked: Company had Health Fair, I took mediocre pictures and got all the attending health societies' facebook information, so I could tag them in the album.  Success feels like...+2 likes. A little anticlimactic, but improvement!

This weekend was superfun, though. Strip district (which is Pittsburgh's little slice of Crowded European Style Market Don't Get Run Over) on Saturday with friends/bro and sis-in-law, which involved much walking and some eating, followed by a bonfire/babyshower at my brother's which involved less walking and more eating and GINGER BEER (my weakness!). So there was sugar, but I still resisted zee bad things. Then dinner at my parents Sunday, which was so much fun and involved fairly paleo pumpkin pie with a pecan crust. I'm counting that as a sweet vegetable, dammit, because I refuse to feel guilty over that. Also 2 glasses of wine because my parents buy good stuff.

If I can write two blog posts this week, I'll consider that as half credit toward week 2, because at least I wrote. Hopefully I will do that today.

I definitely need to take a page from your book and set a blogging goal for my next challenge! I have upswings and downswings, and I'd really like to get more consistent with my blogging!

Level 3 Human Druid

[sTR: 3] [DEX:8] [sTA:5] [CON:9] [WIS:8] [CHA:2]

Previous Challenge Thread: A Wild Anna Appears

Current Challenge Thread: Just one Anna, Just TWO challenges!

Walking to Lothlorien: On the road south of Rivendell

Twitter: @justanna

I still have not decided on the reward, but somehow that seems to be keeping me more accountable. Like, "Hmm, that pita would be tasty, but probably not tasty enough to offset the FANTASTIC SURPRISE at the end of this challenge! I wonder what it will be? I'd hate to lose it over an impulsive moment." Apparently I even like surprises from myself.

It's almost better that you don't know your reward since it could be easy to give in if you decided that (fill in the blank) item wasn't worth the effort at a particular moment of weakness. But a fantastic super secret surprise is always worth it! Keep up the good work!

Level 8 Undead Ranger

STR: 17.75 | DEX: 13 | STA: 16.25 | CON: 20 | WIS: 15.25 | CHA: 14

My Current Challenge | My Epic Quest List

Ha! I love that your surprise from yourself is keeping you motivated!  

Sounds like things are going well! Woot woot!

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Hi Eilyd!

Sorry for my late arrival but now I'm here-:)

Great and ambitious goals you have there, I have a lot of faith in you.

I would encourage you though to include rest days, we all need them ( at least I do)

And, since I am sure you'll get a lot of A's, what about grading (did I miss it, is it in there?)

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Eilyd!

How's going? XD

I visited your blog and saw that you posted 1 post yesterday! Way to go!

Oh Ginger Beer? Never had them before, is it good? XD

This week has been rough for me, my left ankle got injured and things are getting bad afterwards, like the lack of self-discipline about diet haha XD

And how's your Bible reading? I think I should make it as permanent goal, it makes me feel better :)

I've read some verses recently, and bull's-eye for self-discipline (2 Timothy 1:7) and James 1: 2 - 4 for everything that turns out bad hahaha

Keep us updated! XD

Not a spirit of cowardice, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7

Heyo :)

I definitely need to take a page from your book and set a blogging goal for my next challenge! I have upswings and downswings, and I'd really like to get more consistent with my blogging!

It's certainly helping, but it also leads to more guilt when I don't do it. But that's also because of PMS and hormones and all sorts of nonsense. Generally I like the discipline and focus that it brings.

It's almost better that you don't know your reward since it could be easy to give in if you decided that (fill in the blank) item wasn't worth the effort at a particular moment of weakness. But a fantastic super secret surprise is always worth it! Keep up the good work!

Ha! I love that your surprise from yourself is keeping you motivated!  

Sounds like things are going well! Woot woot!

That's basically what it is. Like, if I were rewarding myself with a new haircut, I'd be like "But that basil-pesto bread with garlic butter is SOOOO much better than a haircut", or whatever. But since I don't know what my reward is, I can't think that wheat is worth more than it. Also it makes my knuckles hurt.

Hi Eilyd!

Sorry for my late arrival but now I'm here- :)

Great and ambitious goals you have there, I have a lot of faith in you.

I would encourage you though to include rest days, we all need them ( at least I do)

And, since I am sure you'll get a lot of A's, what about grading (did I miss it, is it in there?)

Thank you Eve :) I do have rest days--of course there is the designated 1 per week, but I'm finding that 6 days is too much so there are some unintended but accepted light or rest days. Archbishop and I are still finding our rhythm now that we have a gym. Grading I forgot to put in, along with RPG stats. I've been meaning to go back and edit those in, so thanks for the reminder!

Eilyd!

How's going? XD

I visited your blog and saw that you posted 1 post yesterday! Way to go!

Oh Ginger Beer? Never had them before, is it good? XD

This week has been rough for me, my left ankle got injured and things are getting bad afterwards, like the lack of self-discipline about diet haha XD

And how's your Bible reading? I think I should make it as permanent goal, it makes me feel better :)

I've read some verses recently, and bull's-eye for self-discipline (2 Timothy 1:7) and James 1: 2 - 4 for everything that turns out bad hahaha

Keep us updated! XD

Hello, dear! I did post yesterday/this morning (after I realized that I totally forgot one paragraph).  Ginger beer is delicious. If you have ginger ale over there, it's sort of like that, but spicier. Neither is alcoholic. I am sorry that you hurt your ankle--it is so easy to get thrown off by something like that too! Bible reading has been going fairly consistently. I really appreciate how much encouragement and challenging words are in there.

3rd week:
5/6 Workouts. B, I think? Got in most of them, despite feeling discouraged early in the week which made me avoid yoga until Thursday. Saturday and Sunday we went to our old university for Homecoming, so while there was no workout, there was a LOT of walking. Also on Sunday we went to the symphony to hear the Carmina Burana! It is so thrilling!

5/7 Routines. B. This is just an estimate because I don't remember, but there was a good bit of snoozing and after shenanigans on Saturday, we slept in quite a bit Sunday. Also on Wednesday we didn't sleep well at all and decided that work was not happening that day; both called off sick and did productive things around the apartment.

3/5 Distractions. B. Early in the month is really hard for me to do things, because there's not any pressure. Most of my work doesn't show up until the last two weeks and I have trouble being proactive in the first week and a half.

Life: A, I posted late last night! I had written the post early in the week, but wasn't sure if I liked it enough to publish. I figured I should worry less about it being perfect and more about conditioning myself to write and publish.

Diet: 2/3. I had too many drinks because of celebrating that fun people were in town, but I regret nothing. Also had a taco at homecoming, because it was literally the first food I had seen all day other than a rice-flour cereal.

Untracked: Established a posting schedule for the Facebook and Twitter pages at work. Hopefully these recurring themes will help to generate more traffic.

Oh hey! Also got These Shoes now instead of my falling-apart-with-holes-in-them shoes. They are so comfy except for the bits that need breaking in.

This week I am taking a pass on requiring 6 workout days. Last challenge I came off the pill, and now my hormonal cycle is re-establishing itself with a vengeance (though, reassuringly, it's following the same patterns as before bc). I hope to make 4-5 days. Probably influenced by what my body's up to...this week feels like it's off to a shabby start. Irrational crying last night led to poor sleep led to snoozing led to getting jack squat done at work today.  But I did make delicious though oddly-textured egg curry soup. (Incidentally, I want to invent a squat variant called the Jack Squat. Wouldn't that be great?)

Thanks, y'all, for sticking with me and offering such encouragement! And if you ever read my blog posts and feel inclined to comment on them, I'd love that.

Blargh. Last week was disappointing. But I am making changes toward improvement!

4th week

My Main Quest: Become Well-Balanced

Goal 1: Win at Workouts

I was aiming for 4-5 days...got 2 and a half. Merg. C. But now body is more or less cooperating. (It decided on Saturday that random food rejection was a thing I should do, which killed any hope of getting a 3rd and 4th workout in this weekend.)

Goal 2: Regulate the Routine

C. Could not wake up this week for anything, and had many late nights. Sleepy cat disapproves. This week we have the rule that I have to turn off the alarm clock, by getting out of bed. It worked well this morning and made getting up much nicer.

Goal 3: Destroy Distractions

Um...I think this went well? B, because I'm sure I'm forgetting something somewhere.

Life Quest: Talk it up

No post this week. I'm trying to come up with one for today. All of my motivation to write has been sapped.

Diet Quest: Everything in Moderation

This worked great last time to control my food choices, so it's basically the same thing again.

2 Ounces of alcohol per week, B. Had an extra because spiced cider is yummy.

1 Sugary thing per week - I saved it for very worthwhile apple pie! Mmmmmm.

1 Wheat thing per week. None! 4/6 bonus points so far.

Side Quest (Untracked): Build-Your-Own...Job?

On the marketing side+1 like! Hooray!

On the relationships side, Still trying to find someone who has time for me to pitch this to them.

On the literal job side, Would really like to get this sometime before never...

So I found that there's another girl who lifts heavy things at our gym! Amusingly, she and I were friends in elementary school. I still haven't had a good opportunity to talk to her, but I've been looking at her like "That HAS to be Becca...." We both grew up in the same neighborhood where the gym is, so it's fairly likely. Her DL is higher than mine, so now I really want to catch up. I am also irked by the fact that she is still incapable of putting on fat, apparently.

While you may not have felt as successful this week, the important part is that you're aiming for improvement. And, while it's great that your friend's success has motivated you to push even harder, remember to stay away from the dangerous habit of comparison. You're awesome and keep up the good work!

Level 8 Undead Ranger

STR: 17.75 | DEX: 13 | STA: 16.25 | CON: 20 | WIS: 15.25 | CHA: 14

My Current Challenge | My Epic Quest List

It sounds like you did really despite some troubles. And that's really the key. You may not always hit the goal but as long as you do as much as you can and keep at it things will stay on track.

And that's so exciting about the old childhood friend! How funny!  Keep us updated on her! And catch that deadlift!

How's the 5th week?

I saw that you wrote another blog post, so that means an improvement from last week!

And I agree that a friend can be an extra motivation booster :)

I'm sure you'll get better at deadlifting and soon you'll catch up with her! 

I haven't tried deadlift before, sounds super sexy hahaha XD

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines