Psycho's second first time challenge for real this time!

Okay, i'm a day late this time, not a few weeks, so I look forward to getting credit for this challenge!

I've altered it from my previous challenge a little bit.  I've had the weekend to really think about it.  I'm aiming to make my individual goals more challenging but I'll be keeping my main goal from last time.

Main Goal:  Weigh 199 pounds.

In between challenges I put on a few pounds celebrating hitting 100+ pounds down this weekend.  Not many (I'm still under 100), but I had a great time at a party this weekend and I'm ready to hit the ground running on this one all over again.  I started my incomplete challenge at 265, and today I weigh 240.  While dropping 41 pounds in six weeks for me is feasible, I'm not going to put pressure on myself to accomplish this goal in only six weeks.  I anticipated it taking 2 and a half challenges to reach this goal, and I still think that will be the case.  

Goal A:  Three pronged work-out, at least six days a week:  Weight lifting, running outside, elliptical.

For those who paid attention last challenge, you'd know that I stuck to an elliptical four to five days a week(at least an hour a day), and for the most part shattered that daily goal.  Well, I have an event coming up about three and a half weeks away (which will be my life goal) which is going to require me to be in shape, period.  While using an elliptical only is a great way to lose weight, you're really not getting into shape by doing it.  I know that doesn't make any sense, so let me simplify it.  I can jump on an elliptical and go for an hour, burning 900 calories or more, no problem.  I can only (at the moment) run an eighth of a mile without having to slow down.  So my current plan is to work out a couple of muscle groups by lifting free weights, followed by a run (at least a mile, but having to go a little further each day), followed by a cooldown on the elliptical.

Goal B:  Eat more often!  (Wait, what?!)

Alrighty, I know this is confusing.  Here's where this goal came about.  In my quest to lose 100 pounds (towards the end of last challenge) I became a little desperate to reach my goal, so I started to cut out all snacks (even healthy ones) and breakfast entirely.  I only actually ate lunch and dinner for about two weeks, and most of the time I stayed well under 1200 calories, and while it proved effective, that's not exactly the most healthy thing to be doing.  Problem is, I let that become a habit.  It's a personality flaw of mine, and I'm working on it.  So, I'm going to make myself eat breakfast, lunch, after workout snack, dinner, and another snack.  I want my metabolism to be working faster and hopefully this will be the way to do it.  If anyone has any helpful tips on how you might have successfully sped up your own metabolism I'd love to hear them!!

Goal C:  Avoid all fried food.

Since February 1st - September 14, I'd say I've eaten less fried food this year than any other year.  As a matter of fact, in that period of time, I can not remember eating anything fried at all.  Not to say it didn't happen, I'm sure I picked up a french fry here or there, but I can't really remember it.  That's almost mind-blowing to me.  BUT (you knew a 'but' was coming), with Sunday being the last day before the new challenge I went to a fried chicken joint and got some fried tenders, fries, and a biscuit.  And my God, was it good.  I mean, it was fan-freaking-tastic.  I can't wait to have some more, but guess what?  I got six weeks to wait.  If you haven't noticed my signature before (a quote from the 1st Matrix), I have it written on my bedroom door, too.  So I see it every day when I wake up and read it.  99.9% of the time it's enough for me to read that, think about it for a second, and stop myself from making self-destructive decisions.  So fried food, as good as you were, there's no room for you in my life at this period in time.

Life Goal:  Complete Warrior Dash: Louisiana.

I know you're not really supposed to tie in your fitness goals with your life goal, but I have a good reason.  For those of you unfamiliar with the Warrior Dash, it's about a 3.3 mile run with 12-15 obstacles to be completed along the way.  My friends did the one in Jackson, MS (where I live) in March when I had just started to scratch the surface of my weight loss journey.  Here we are about 7 months later and I'm in a position where I really think I can finish the thing.  Why I decided to make this my life goal is because that's exactly what it is--something I've never done before in my life.  I'm 25 days away from the race, which is really what motivated me to up my exercise goals.

That pretty much sums it up!  If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

"You've been down there, Neo. You already know that road. You know exactly where it ends. And I know that's not where you want to be."  -- Trinity

Current Challenge:  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/37506-psychos-second-first-time-challenge-for-real-this-time/

I use MyNetDiary on my iPhone and you can also check it at mynetdiary.com I believe.  It's a really good tool for people who are pretty OCD like me about what I'm eating.  I literally want to count every calorie of food I eat to make sure I am for sure eating right, and not just thinking that I am.  I've ran(well, mostly walked) a mile for 2 days straight now, and I'm going to have to make myself do it every day if I don't want to hold the group of people I'm going with behind.  I'm going to go an extra quarter of a mile today!

"You've been down there, Neo. You already know that road. You know exactly where it ends. And I know that's not where you want to be."  -- Trinity

Current Challenge:  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/37506-psychos-second-first-time-challenge-for-real-this-time/

Thank you!  A lot of my friends use MyFitnessPal, too.  From what I've seen the two apps are really, really similar.  I also got Nike's Running app to track my running time; I like it because it keeps track with your fastest mile, kilo, 2 miles, 5Ks, etc.

Your goals sound great! Especially incorporating weights. Since I started lifting (not too heavy, I'm currently at bodyweight for deadlifts) I've noticed a major change in how my fitness changed. My endurance has spiked, and that's after only 2 weeks (I started at the end of the last challenge).

I'm in the same boat as you, did the last three weeks of the last challenge, so this is my first proper challenge. 

I think the warrior dash sounds awesome! It sounds kind of like Tough Mudder, but maybe not as muddy haha. Good luck!!

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

STR:19 ~ DEX:6 ~ CON:21 ~ WIS:20 ~ STA:12 ~ CHA:9

Current Challenge - Previous Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within 10 feet of the pack."

Haha, no, there will be plenty of mud.  From what I understand it's a lot shorter than Tough Mudder, and a good thing too; I don't want to kill myself first time out.

I'm 4 days in on lifting; I'm primarily doing arm and upper body exercises to get my upper body strength up for the obstacles.  I could really feel my arms this morning, and I know I must be doing something right if it takes me 15 minutes just to lift a cup of coffee!

I'm 4 days in on lifting; I'm primarily doing arm and upper body exercises to get my upper body strength up for the obstacles.  I could really feel my arms this morning, and I know I must be doing something right if it takes me 15 minutes just to lift a cup of coffee!

Yeah I increased my squatting weight yesterday....but my upper body strength isn't at the same level so now I've hurt my wrist from trying to get the weight onto my shoulders xD. You know though, I love those days after a weight day, when it's hard to sit down and difficult to dry my hair, simply because I know I've worked hard :)

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

STR:19 ~ DEX:6 ~ CON:21 ~ WIS:20 ~ STA:12 ~ CHA:9

Current Challenge - Previous Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within 10 feet of the pack."

Well, had to go on my run a little earlier today....and at about the quarter mile mark I definitely felt some pain in my left knee.  So I slowed down to a walk for a minute, and everything felt okay, so I went back up to a run but that did not last long at all.  I came up limping pretty quickly.  It would appear I sprained my left knee, and hopefully that's it.  I had to cut my run short at the half mile mark.  Now, since I started running 4 days ago, I have felt a little pain in this knee, but chalked it up to the fact that I've never run before.  Today it's felt worse than ever.  So after I got back to my desk I propped it up and iced it down.  Gonna keep ice on it today and tomorrow and hopefully by Sunday I'll be able to get back out there.

Update on the knee:  Woke up today and it is much improved.  I'm walking up and down stairs with no pain for the first time since before the injury.  I'm going to give it until tomorrow and try to resume running.  Going to get back on the weights today, too.  All of my weight exercises required me to be on my feet, so I looked some up I could do while sitting down.  Hopefully I'll be able to resume light running tomorrow, and with any luck I'll be back to full speed in a week..

LONG OVERDUE UPDATE:

Okay, when last I posted, I was still preparing for the Warrior Dash and had a knee injury.  To make a long story short, I COMPLETED the Warrior Dash a couple of weekends ago and knocked out my life goal successfully!  However, my knee has definitely hindered my progress, especially on Goal A, so I've had to modify my strategy a little bit.

Main Goal:  Weigh 199 pounds.

I weighed in today at 226 so I'm very, very close....about a loss of 14 pounds since the challenge started.  Reminder:  I started at 341.

Goal A:  The same, without running

Some days are better than others, but I've had to drop running altogether for the time being.  My knee has not improved, but hasn't gotten any worse.  During the Warrior Dash, a friend of mine noticed my knee was definitely wobbly and he let me borrow his knee brace because "you need it more than I do."  (His words.)  I have been able to continue the elliptical which has been great because it's about the only cardio I can do without putting a lot of pressure on my knee.  I'm also looking to borrow a dormant bicycle from a friend but haven't put too much work into this yet....and in the event I do find a bike, I'll replace cycling with running.  But as it is today, I'm back down to a two pronged attack.

Goal B:  Eat more often  (Wait, what?!)

Truth be told, I think this was a poorly chosen goal.  I tried to shake up my dietary habits and while it hasn't been a total failure, it's by no means a success.  For better or worse, I'm the type of person who doesn't like to do anything half-assed.  I am so, so close to my goal, and I've surmised the best and fastest way for me to get there is by not changing a thing as far as my approach goes.  Right now I have two scheduled meals a day, and I allow up to four snacks if I need them.  I'm keeping my calories at or around 1200-1400 and have a real shot at hitting my goal before or near Thanksgiving.  While Goal B seemed like a great idea at the time, it's not what got me to this point, and it's not going to be what gets me where I need to be.  Poor choice, but shit happens.  Moving on.

Goal C:  Avoid all fried food

Passing this goal WITH FLYING COLORS!  I've had one cheat day after the Warrior Dash (It's hardly a cheat day when you burned 5000 calories same day, right?) and STILL didn't have anything fried.  I will definitely be carrying this goal over to what looks to be the final stage of my challenge.

Life Goal:  Complete Warrior Dash, Louisiana  DONE!

Finished my first ever 5K w/ obstacles at a time just over an hour and ten minutes.  Had a lot of great friends that helped me out and I somehow finished it without killing myself.  Hopefully will do it again in May (I think) when it comes to my hometown.

I know we still have a few days left in this challenge, but I'm going to go ahead and assume I don't sabotage myself at this point and get to the 27th either at or under my current weight.  I'm going to give myself a passing grade even if I didn't strictly adhere to Goals A and B.  After all, those goals are supposed to be put in place for the achievement of my overall goal.  And while I didn't follow them exactly, I'm still 14 (or more) pounds closer to my goal.  Plus, completing my life goal is reason enough for me to give myself a passing grade.  I finished something I never honestly believed I could prior to this year.  So, that's about all I got.  What do you guys think?

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines