If I Take One Step Further...

So, at some point in Fellowship of the Ring, Sam turns to Frodo and says, "If I go one step further, I'll be the farthest from home I've ever been."

That's how I feel about my fitness journey. I've yo-yoed back and forth with my weight and fitness level for so long. Every time I get to a "place" I've never been before, life "gets in the way"--i.e., I start making excuses. I want to stop making excuses, make the time for fitness and health, and take the ring ALL THE WAY TO MOUNT DOOM. Once I get there, I guess the Eagles can fly me back. But I gotta get there first.

I call myself a runner, though over the summer I kind of slacked off running and am now working to build those muscles back up. I'd like to run a half-marathon in November--my first. I don't have a time goal; I just want to finish. I am also a roller derby referee, and I'd like to improve my on-skates skills and endurance. However, sometimes my running goals and skating goals conflict. I went through some physical therapy last winter because weak hip/glute muscles led to knee pain when I tried to both run and do derby at the same time. As part of my challenge, I want to make injury avoidance a priority.

~SO~

Main Quest:

Lose 15 pounds by December 17th.

Goals:

1. Exercise: Derby twice per week, run three times per week, strength train twice per week
  2. Diet: Stop eating out at work
  3. Injury prevention: Complete at least one set of physical therapy exercises once per day. Ice once per day

Life Quest:

ELIMINATE CREDIT CARD DEBT.

Motivation:

I'm generally terrible at self-motivation. I start self-projects and then stop. I'm really good at school, where people tell you stuff to do and you do it. I get that stuff done; other stuff falls by the wayside. Is wanting to develop self-motivation a motivation? I suppose a more precise word would be "self-direction." I tend to drop self-directed projects that are only for myself. If I have to do something for someone else, I'll do it. Hmm. That makes me sound like a martyr, which I'm not. I'm just... less committed to myself? Ugh. I don't know. Essentially, I want to be the kind of person that runs half-marathons, whatever kind of person that is.

Also, I want to avoid being a third-generation diabetic. Both my mom and maternal grandmother have it. Clearly it's in my genes. I want to do everything in my power to prevent those genes from expressing themselves. Generally, I'm all for self-expression. Not with diabetes. And heart disease, which is on the other side of my family. Blerg.

Here. Can I just use this awesome panel from Captain Marvel as my motivation?

tumblr_maiy2hKvPf1rvz7p6o1_500.png

Carol says it pretty well: "And we will be the stars we were always meant to be."

Will follow up with numbers tomorrow morning, which is when I generally weigh myself.

• Like 1

~claysad

Current Challenge

Dwarf | Adventurer | Level 1

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 2

"And we will be the stars we were always meant to be." Kelly Sue Deconnick, via Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel

Great goals/quests! 

And I needed to read your motivation. Thank you!  My mother has been on a ton of medication my entire life due to her unhealthy lifestyle, and I don't even remember her mom she died so young.  It would be great to break that cycle, for myself and for my daughter.

Level 1  Wild Elf Druid
Introduction, Battle Log

Challenge #1,  Challenge #2,  

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." ~ Joss Whedon

"Only those who risk going too far, find out how far they can go." ~ Walter Bishop

I love your story and motivation. I also like #3 in that you have thought about some injury prevention to keep you going. 

Good luck. 

Edit:

Sorry I clicked on your current challenge and it brought me here. I found your current one and still hope you do great. 

NapalmBurn

Race: Human | Class: Warrior

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

Current Challenge: NapalmBurn's Quest To Be...Batman

Geeks Are Wired 

Inspiration:

Good is not enough, if better is possible. 

Live Long and Prosper

Walk the One Ring to Mordor

Do or do not. There is no try.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines