The Legend of Will: The Quest of Awesome!

Hello everyone, I’m Will. This’ll be my first challenge posted here on Nerd Fitness. I’ve completed one before back during June and July, and worked out afterwards too, just not as frequently. But I’ve decided I’ve had enough, and I want to start my second adventure!

So, a bit about myself:  

I’m a shy, but adventurous 18 year old boy, finishing up High School and I would consider myself to be pretty fit. I’m an avid gamer, and my absolute favorite Video Game franchise would have to be: The Legend of Zelda. To be like Link has been a dream of mine since I was a kid, and I feel that dream has evolved over the years for the better. For me, Link is a blank slate on which I project myself on to, so, in game, all the good deeds done, all the trials overcome, and all the bosses beat, where done by me (in a sense). So for me, to strive to be just like Link is not to try and be someone I’m not, but rather to go on and be a better, more heroic version of myself.

I’ve found that doing a Six Week Challenge is much more fun (for me) with a theme. With my last Six Week Challenge, I did it to the theme of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. As I went through the six weeks, I played ALttP alongside my workouts, and on days when I would encounter a dungeon in game, I would do a “Boss Dungeon Workout,†in which I would do my normal routine, with an added workout at the end (The Advanced Bodyweight Workout for example); and having the entire Six Week Challenge culminate in a last battle with Ganon, with an all-day workout adventure (and it was AWESOME).

I’m continuing that trend by moving onto the next games in the series that have same Link from ALttP: the Oracle games, starting with Oracle of Seasons. Because it’s a two part game (both together are just one giant game), this’ll be more like a Twelve Week Challenge for me.

And as an extra random tidbit about me, I’m also ambidextrous, but I prefer my left hand. Woot, lefty just like Link, FTW!  

Now for my goals:

• Main Quest: To get stronger
  • Goals to get there:
    1. Work out every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
    2. Eat vegetables with every meal (I already eat 100% Paleo, and eat a ton of fruits, nuts, and meat, I just need more veggies)
    3. Do The dungeon Boss workouts too, to really kick my butt, and to add some extra awesome to my workout :D
  • Side Quest:
    • Make some friends (I don’t have any that aren’t far away in my old home town, so a lot of the time I’m alone)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Twelve Week “Oracle of Seasons/Ages†Challenge

First half:

Six Week Challenge #2

9/16/13 – 10/27/13

Theme of the first half of the Challenge:

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons

[Quest Status]:

[-LIFE-]

[20 Hearts]

[ Battle Log: - THE LEGEND OF WILL - ]

Spoiler

"I can change the future!"

- Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles

"I still don't know what I should do. What [he's] doing isn't for his own gain. He walks the path he believes in, one step at a time. Wishing only for the happiness of those around him. I, on the other hand... I thought I didn't have a path that I could take laid out before me. But like he said, that's just running away. I must find my own path."

- Fei from Xenogears

"A life of adventure awaits those with the courage to step beyond their comfort zones."

- Hylian Dan from The Philosophy of The Wind Waker

And if anyone could tell me how I should go about posting my updates to my Workout Log here (do I just put them in the comments or something?), that would be nice. As stated, I'm new here and learning the ropes, but eager to learn :)

[EDIT]

Never mind, I got it.

Spoiler

"I still don't know what I should do. What [he's] doing isn't for his own gain. He walks the path he believes in, one step at a time. Wishing only for the happiness of those around him. I, on the other hand... I thought I didn't have a path that I could take laid out before me. But like he said, that's just running away. I must find my own path."

- Fei from Xenogears

"A life of adventure awaits those with the courage to step beyond their comfort zones."

Bahahaha! You'll have to get all A's on this challenge for me to hand over my sword to you!!

Though I might cut you some slack seeing as you are a Gurren Lagann fan and all!!!

Also, you don't have to edit your post to update! You can just make another post or even make a battle log!! In other news, welcome to the Dai-Gurren Brigade! I'm sure Ash, my partner in crime, will be by to welcome you as well!! She's the Simon to my Kamina so be sure to treat her nicely haha!

Now then! Let's see some veggies in those meals! You'll need to be a lean, green, fighting machine to wield Spiral Power and my sword!!! I know you can do it!

After all!!

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!?!!!

• Like 1

Hero's First Challenge, Again! - "I knew pig-moles were a bad idea..."

Who the hell do you think I am!?!

-Kamina, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann"

Dai-Gurren Brigade's Hero

Lvl1 Human Ranger

STR3 DEX1 STA3 CON1 WIS1 CHA1

Wow Hero! You are on the ball!!

I was just writing up my comment when that posted, lol!

Hello, I'm Ash! And, I am currently doing a recomp so I am totally into the whole getting stronger, weight training thing.

Well Will, you are now a Brigade member and you just got em you a WHOLE BOATLOAD of friends! ;)

Yeah, like Hero said, just make a new post here each time you want to update.

Awesome start- and yeah- what Hero said on the veggies. (Ash  is nodding cause Hero  is wise man.) :playful:

• Like 1

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

… Awesome :3

Too much awesome XD

But yeah, I’ll follow your advice and make new posts, and update my progress that way.

Friggin' heck, I'm so psyched, my hands are shaking XD

Thanks for checking in on me, and giving me some tips :D

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

Week One: Quest for the Hero’s Sword, and the first two Dungeons

Notes: My heart count stays with me throughout my 6 Week Challenges, so I can track my progress. I started off with three hearts during my first 6 Week Challenge, and acquired more by defeating bosses (last boss counts too, even though in game I don’t get a heart container from it). Those 14 hearts now carry over, and I’ll be adding more to them as I progress! I also added one extra set to each of my normal workouts, and cut my rest time in between sets in half (From 2min. to 1min. for most exercises, and from 1min. to 30sec. for Planks [the Max Squat Thrusts had only one set before, but there’s still a 1min. rest between sets, like the other stuff]). LET’S DO THIS!

• (Monday – 9/16/13 – Workout 1/18) Day One: Find out where you are
    • Workout: Complete
      • Decline Push-ups:
      • Bicep Curls (Left) 25 lbs.
      • Wrist Curls (Left) 25 lbs.
      • Bicep Curls (Left, Right) 20 lbs.
      • Wrist Curls (Left, Right) 20 lbs.
      • Planks
        • 2min. 0sec.
        • 1min. 30sec.
        • 1min. 0sec.
      • Max Squat Thrusts
      • Run
        • 20 min.
        • 2.85 miles
    • Vegetables with each meal: Incomplete

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

Aww Yep! :D

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

• (Tuesday – 9/17/13) Day Two: Find the Hero’s Sword

• Notes: Singed up with the Nerd Fitness community, and got my profile all set up

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

Awesome on the plank time! Did those last challenge and my best was 2:45. You're gonna be smokin those by the end of the challenge! :triumphant:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

• (Wednesday – 9/18/13 – Workout 2/18) Day Three: Brave Level 1 - Gnarled Root Dungeon

• Dungeon Workout: Complete

• Decline Push-ups:

Bicep Curls (Left) 25 lbs.

2 (Didn't mean to do this extra set, I wasn't paying attention to how many I did)

Wrist Curls (Left) 25 lbs.

Bicep Curls (Left, Right) 20 lbs.

Wrist Curls (Left, Right) 20 lbs.

Pull-ups

Chin-ups

Planks

• 1min. 30sec.

• 1min. 0sec.

0min. 30sec.

Max Squat Thrusts

Dungeon Boss (Advanced Body Weight Workout: Moderate)

• First Circuit

• 10 One legged squats

• Complete

• 20 Body weight squats

• Complete

20 Walking Lunges

• Complete

20 Jump step-ups

• Complete

5 Pull-ups

• Complete

20 Decline push-ups

• Complete

5 Chin-ups

• Complete

15 Push-ups

• Complete

1 Min. plank

• Complete

Vegetables with each meal: Incomplete

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

Haha, Thanks!

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

Good workout!

Now get them veggies in, lol! ;)

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Hey Will! Welcome to the Gurren Brigade! You've been selected for our (as yet nameless) mini-squad! (See group thread for details.)

Level 2 

Dwarf Ranger

STR 2     |     DEX 1     |     STA 4     |     CON 3     |     WIS 3     |     CHA 0

Current Challenge: Give Peas a Chance!

1st Challenge: Buggalo Begins!

''Life is hard. You are hard. I don't see the problem." - Coach

THE GURREN BRIGADE!

"Think about all the things you'd wish other people had done for, or with, you. Then do those things for other people.

Then, smash barriers and laugh a lot while shouting "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?!" - Hero                                                                                                                      

Sweet! Thanks for adding me. I'll check the thread.

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

Good moring, Will (or whatever time of day it may be right now at your place)! :)

I'm a little late to the party, sorry about that!

I like the theme for your challenges, and I am also mucho impressed with your workouts...As Kiwi would say: RAWR! :tyrannosaurus:

Since you don't seem to have much trouble killing the workout part of your challenge, (and risking to sound like one's mother again :D) I'll second (third) fork and Ash: Get those veggies in! ;)

Also: good plan to make new friends! :encouragement:

Glad to have you in the brigade!

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Okay, I am seriously impressed by your workouts. You're definitely in better shape than I am!

Why do you think it is you're struggling to eat vegetables with each meal? Have you found vegetables that you really like? Make sure this is an enjoyable experience!

Level 2 

Dwarf Ranger

STR 2     |     DEX 1     |     STA 4     |     CON 3     |     WIS 3     |     CHA 0

THE GURREN BRIGADE!

"Think about all the things you'd wish other people had done for, or with, you. Then do those things for other people.

Then, smash barriers and laugh a lot while shouting "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?!" - Hero                                                                                                                      

I find that I just don't eat them out of laziness. If vegetables are included in a meal, like when my mom makes dinner for us, then I'll pile them on my plate. But if tasked with making my own meals, I'll just go with whatever takes the least amount of effort, and keeps me fullest for the longest (Like cooking myself some steak, or eating a bazillion green apples). Vegetables don't seem to keep me full for that long, so they have to be prepared alongside something that does, like meat. The only vegetable that keeps me full (if it's considered a vegetable, or is it a root plant) is a sweet potato. So I guess I better start cooking that more often.

That's why I chose that as a goal, so that I would cook for myself some more, and create some better eating habits.  

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

I have to take 30 minutes or so a few times a week to cut up veggies so they are handy or I end up snacking on not so good things.  Excellent workout results

Okay, I am seriously impressed by your workouts. You're definitely in better shape than I am!

I second buggs here!!

Suck it up today so you don't have to suck it in tomorrow!!

"I'm not a princess, I don't need saving. I'm a Queen, I got this shit handled!"

Level 4 Assassin

/not/smart/enough/to/keep/track/of/points

Challenge Thread

When I was living on my own for a bit, what I did was set aside about an hour to prepare salads and veggies for a whole week.  I ate a lot of stir fries, so I chopped up carrots, peppers, brocolli, etc. and then just put them in big bags in my fridge.  When I was tired from a long day, it was super easy then to just throw all my veggies in a pan with some olive oil, fry it up, and BAM!  A healthy dinner filled with veggies.  This is super easy to vary also, and can be eaten raw, too!  I also made chick pea and quinoa salads for a week, but since you're full-on Paleo those might not fit into your lifestyle.  I'm sure there are some salads that can be prepared in advance for you though.  Best of luck!

"The best workout is the one you do." 

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight."

"Make the difficult decision."

When I was living on my own for a bit, what I did was set aside about an hour to prepare salads and veggies for a whole week.  I ate a lot of stir fries, so I chopped up carrots, peppers, brocolli, etc. and then just put them in big bags in my fridge.  When I was tired from a long day, it was super easy then to just throw all my veggies in a pan with some olive oil, fry it up, and BAM!  A healthy dinner filled with veggies.  This is super easy to vary also, and can be eaten raw, too!  I also made chick pea and quinoa salads for a week, but since you're full-on Paleo those might not fit into your lifestyle.  I'm sure there are some salads that can be prepared in advance for you though.  Best of luck!

This is such a great idea! I'm stealing it.  *yoink*

Level 2 

Dwarf Ranger

THE GURREN BRIGADE!

Hey will,

Love the set-up of your goals and workouts. LoZ is the best!

If you're having trouble eating veggies why don't you just buy some frozen ones? That way it only take 5mins to heat them up in a pan.

I had the same problem as you before of not eating enough veggies. I didn't like that I was getting vitamins purely from fruits and multi-vitamin pills so I now always have at least one 1kg bag of frozen veggies in my freezer. After I've cooked my protein source I throw in the veggies in the pan, put on a lid and 5 minutes later the veggies are done. Easiest way I've found so far and tasty too ^^

Today I will do what others won't, so that tomorrow I can do what others can't

Battle Log - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/43243-swes-path-fun-change/

(Thursday – 9/19/13) Day Four: Discover the hidden underground city of Subrosia, the Temple of Seasons, and get the Rod of Seasons (along with the power of Winter)!

• Vegetables with each meal: Complete
  •   Notes: Yes! I got ALL DA' VEGGIES TODAY!

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

(Friday - 9/20/13 - Workout 3/18) Day Five: Brave Level 2 - Snake's Remains (Dungeon)

• Dungeon Workout: Completed
    • Decline Push-ups:
    • Bicep Curls (Left) 25 lbs.
    • Wrist Curls (Left) 25 lbs.
    • Bicep Curls (Left, Right) 20 lbs.
    • Wrist Curls (Left, Right) 20 lbs.
    • Pull-ups
    • Chin-ups
    • Planks
      • 1min. 30sec.
      • 1min. 0sec.
      • 1min. 0sec.
    • Max Squat Thrusts
    • Dungeon Boss (Advanced Body Weight Workout: Moderate)
      • First Circuit
        • 10 One legged squats
          • Complete
        • 20 Body weight squats
          • Complete
        • 20 Walking Lunges
          • Complete
        • 20 Jump step-ups
          • Complete
        • 5 Pull-ups
          • Complete
        • 20 Decline push-ups
          • Complete
        • 5 Chin-ups
          • Complete
        • 15 Push-ups
          • Complete
        • 1 Min. plank
          • Complete

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines