Jacie spawns in her Newb Zone

Good afternoon! :)

In thinking about this challenge and how to not set my (sometimes easily discouraged) self up for failure, I decided to design my personal newb zone as the "obvious tutorial" type. The kind with fairy NPCs, where the toughest monster is a largish rat.

Since the hardest part of any fitness goal for me is the get up and do it! part, my main quest here is to learn how to play the game. I will tackle the habit of building habits.

Sub quest 1:

No liquid calories! I mean it!

This has been a problem for me, as my fiancé enjoys a soda and we keep them in the house for him. I just need to get over the idea that I have to have one (or 4) just because they are there.

Sub quest 2:

Walk every day!

This is mostly about habit training. I picked walking because I enjoy it and it allows me to spend time with my daughter, so I am more likely to stick to it. Once I accomplish this, I will have proved to myself that it is possible to set aside time for fitness every day. Baby steps!

Sub quest 3:

Streeeetch!

I am very not-flexible. It hurts the backs of my knees to sit with my legs stretched out in front of me, and please don't ask me to point my toes up. Oww. in an attempt to improve my flexibility, I am going to do stretches for at least 5 minutes every day. Again: setting aside time every day for fitness, with the bonus of preparing myself for strength exercises in the future.

Life quest:

Dear diary....

I'd like to start keeping a journal every day. I want to try out a strategy that was explained in an article on the nerd fitness blog-- the idea to choose "3 big things" that must be accomplished each day-- and use it in the journal. I think it will help me stay organized and motivated to have all of my lists in one place.

My motivation is to become happier, healthier, and more productive so that I can be a good role model for my daughter, as well as a better partner to my fiancé. I want to retrain myself from a whiny procrastinator to someone who just does what needs to be done without a fuss. Basically, it's time to grow up.

(I'm posting this from my phone, so I'll have to add pictures later)

Hi, Jacie!  Nice goals - they will have such an impact!  I, too, am avoiding carbonated beverages, and it's difficult because there is a cooler of assorted flavors in the break room at work, free for the taking!  Yikes!

Keeping that journal with a little one in the house will be a challenge!  I've kept them over the years, but not with much consistency.  I like to list (at the end of the day) three things I'm thankful for - different things each day.  Sometimes it's just noticing how sunlight sparkles on the dew, but it keeps me focused on the beauty and magic in life.  It's also a good place to track all the new things your daughter says and does each day.

Good luck on your challenge - we can do this!

Progress is made by simply taking one more step.

Nextchapter-

That is a yikes! Fortunately we just have vending machines at my workplace, and I don't carry cash, so I can't be tempted by them when the midday blahs hit. I found canned club soda for home and have been drinking that. It helps.

Thank you for the idea of three things to be grateful for. It is fast and is a pretty effective way to communicate how I felt about my day :)

Thanks for your comment, and good luck on your challenge!

JessFit-

Thank you! I tend to try for too much and give up when I get overwhelmed, so I really wanted to stick to the basics for my first challenge.

She's a good walking buddy :)

Progress today!

No soda or other high calorie beverages today! Only water, club soda, and some black coffee.

Walked on both of my 15s at work and walked a bit over a mile (took about 20 minutes)with my daughter after I got home.

10 minutes of stretching.

Life goal:

Had time to write out 3 big things (of which I accomplished one, but it was just me and the baby tonight and I was busier than usual) and a few things I was grateful for today.

I have a baby too and I also picked walking - I think that something that you can do with your daughter is a great choice and not too basic at all! With a little one around it can be hard to fit things in, so give yourself credit for setting up a challenging "newb zone," not an obvious tutorial, especially when you meet your goals! :) Congrats on today!

Jack Sprat could eat no fat, 

His wife could eat no lean,

she taught him to eat paleo,

and now they eat food that's green!

First Challenge, 9/16-10/27

I have a baby too and I also picked walking - I think that something that you can do with your daughter is a great choice and not too basic at all! With a little one around it can be hard to fit things in, so give yourself credit for setting up a challenging "newb zone," not an obvious tutorial, especially when you meet your goals! :) Congrats on today!

Half of the reason I picked walking was for her. It's just fun :)

Thank you for the encouragement :) I'm trying to psyche myself up to doing things by telling myself I'm in easy mode, but I know it will still be a challenge to stick to all of this every day.

Half of the reason I picked walking was for her. It's just fun :)

Thank you for the encouragement :) I'm trying to psyche myself up to doing things by telling myself I'm in easy mode, but I know it will still be a challenge to stick to all of this every day.

"This is easy, I got this. No problem."  <---- has gotten me thru some walks in extremely F'ed up, steep, rocky terrain carrying more than a quarter of my bodyweight. What your mind wills, your body does. Focus on the can'ts, and you'll find that indeed, you can't. Focus on the cans, and it may not be easy, but with time and patience, as Dora says: "Si se puede!"

Insert witty & pithy saying here.

So far, I have managed to completely avoid soda and other sugary drinks and I have walked every day. I am having some trouble with stretching and writing in a journal every day, though ):. It is a little difficult to get the time to myself.

It is pretty hard to stretch while you are laughing, and it is hard not to laugh when I toddler is laughing at you and try\ing to climb onto your back for "giddy up horsie." But I'm working on getting up a little early to squeeze these activities in before work.

So far, I have managed to completely avoid soda and other sugary drinks and I have walked every day. I am having some trouble with stretching and writing in a journal every day, though ):. It is a little difficult to get the time to myself.

It is pretty hard to stretch while you are laughing, and it is hard not to laugh when I toddler is laughing at you and try\ing to climb onto your back for "giddy up horsie." But I'm working on getting up a little early to squeeze these activities in before work.

Good for you, that is what the challenge is all about! If it were easy then we wouldn't all be here encouraging each other to hit these goals. Not sure how old she is but I used to teach dance and tumbling ages 1 and up (well, my oldest dance student was 83 but I don't think he's a relevant example) and the kids LOVED to stretch. Maybe start teaching your little one some stretches and you can have bonding time and create good habits early. I'm sure youtube has some videos with appropriate stretches, but a lot of them that I did were just normal stretches. Kids love cat/cow, sleeping child, and cobra only I called cat/cow the "dog" and they barked, referred to sleeping child as "cat" and they got to stratch at the carpet like cats, and called cobra "seal" and they could decide what color imaginary ball a seal would balance on their nose. They're also good with toe touches and butterfly and most of the basic stretches. Kids are super flexible at a young age and if they use it early then they will retain more of it. Not sure how old your little one is or if this is even possible, but it is an idea that might get you an extra 15 minutes of sleep in the morning.

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines