IrishAmazon's Ladies Be Lifting: A Sisters Getting Swole Challenge

IrishAmazon

I completed my first Nerd Fitness challenge yonks ago when I was just a baby lifter with a sub-200 pound deadlift. Since then, I've been making steady but sometimes slow progress adding to my lifts, with no real motivation to do another 6 week challenge.

But now....now there's sibling rivalry in play.

My baby sister, CaraStarbuck, thinks she has what it takes to be the swolest sister.

post-4007-0-51716700-1379522502_thumb.jp

(CaraStarbuck, on right, trying in vain to win the yearly sister arm-wrestling contest. Me, on left, toying with her)

In the spirit of raising the stakes, whichever sister does better on her six week challenge goals will be gifted a new fitness item by the losing sister. So, if CaraStarbuck beats me (unlikely), I have to buy her a foam roller.

I've been making decent strength gains over the summer, but long hours in the office and too many trips to the snacks in the breakroom mean I've been putting on more weight than I want to be carrying. Meanwhile, I've started taking Judo classes, and while my strength training gives me a definite advantage, I really need to do some more conditioning work if I want to kick ass at randori.

With that in mind, my goals:

Main Goal (+2 DEX, +3 STA, +2 CHA): Drop 15 pounds without compromising strength. I'll achieve this by 1) sticking to a primarily paleo diet; 2) adding short, high intensity conditioning workouts on my non-lifting days These will be barbell complexes with lighter weights and regular sprinting and HIIT rowing. 3) Continuing my main strength workouts 2-3 times a week.

Side fitness quest (+3 STR): Add 15 pounds to my squat. I had some form issues early on, so my squat is much sadder than my deadlift (Currently 175 x 5, versus 300 x 5). I'd love to get it up over 200, but 15 pounds sounds like a reasonable, slightly stretching it goal for 6 weeks. I'd try to get someone to video my form so I can get some pointers from the Nerd Fitness crowd.

Bonus side fitness quest (+3 DEX): Test for my first belt promotion in Judo. I'm one of two newbs in my class, and our instructors are potentially going to test us for promotion in late October. So that would be sweet.

Life side quest (+2 WIS) : Finish the great closet/home purge of 2013, and sell an additional $300 of stuff on ebay. In my first go round, I hit $200, so I'd like to make it an even $500 to add to my travel fund.

So that's my challenge. Bring it, little sister!

Level 2 Amazon Warrior

STR 4 - DEX 2 - STA 3 - CON 2 - WIS 3 - CHA 2

Sisters Getting Swole: Starbuck Vs. IrishAmazon

Love your goals.  Glad to see you are channeling you sibling rivalry to the good.

mavarkith

Let us know what we can do to help the Warrior sister win! 

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

After two weeks of mediocre or non-existent workouts, I'm back in business. Yesterday was Press/Power Clean day, which is my least favorite day (because Bench/Deadlift day is far superior).

9/17 working set numbers:

Squat: 3 X 5 @ 170. Took some weight off because I'd taken a few workouts off, but I think I'll be back at 175 tomorrow.

Overhead Press 3 x 5 @ 85. Barely eked out the last rep, so I'll probably stay at 85 next time.

Power Clean 5 x 3 @ 115. As with the squat, I took 5 pounds off, but I'll be back at 120 next time.

Today was a conditioning workout, so I did the bear complex at 45, 50, 55, 55, 55. Do they call it a bear complex because halfway through, you hope a bear will eat you so you don't have to finish? Finished up with some 200 meter rowing sprints. All of which served to demonstrate that I really need to do more conditioning, because it was really, really hard.

Onward!

Level 2 Amazon Warrior

Huzzah! Deadlift day!

Working set numbers:

Squat: 3 x 5 @ 175. Still dealing with some form issues. Basically, my hips and ass come up before my upper body, so I end up doing basically a good morning at the top of the lift. I feel like I'm strong enough to lift heavier than this if I could just get things straightened out, which is really frustratining

Bench: 3 x 5 @ 100: Missed my final rep last time, nailed it this time. Will probably hang out at 100 for one more workout to make sure I've got it, than microload another 2.5 pounds.

Deadlift: 1 x 5 @ 300. Cat-back on the last two reps, so I'll stay at 300 until I get it right.

Farmers carry @ 53 pounds, two laps around the weight room. After deadlifting, trying to hold onto these was brutal

And finally, because the weather was really nice this morning, walked the 1.5 miles to work instead of hopping on the bus.

Level 2 Amazon Warrior

Excellent workout.

Yes, I am pulling for you, because I am that magnanimous.

And I haven't posted my thread yet, but only because I figured you could use a head start.

"In the silence of your bones and eyes forgotten magic sits and waits for fire." 

-Robert Montgomery

Assassin Crest

human assassin | viper jock
STA: 6.25 | STR: 6.5 | CHA: 9 | WIS: 12 | DEX: 5 | CON: 6.5

Sister's Getting Swole: Starbuck Vs. IrishAmazon

Fitocracy

Started off my weekend with some walking, jogging and sprinting on Friday night. I don't like running unless the weather is perfect, so I never run during the summer and winter, and as a result, have to start all over again every fall and spring. Which is fine, because I don't really have ambitions to run more than 5k at a time.

Saturday was my rest day, as well as my planned cheat day, so that I could enjoy pink champagne and pink cake at a bridal shower/bachelorette combination. With any luck, the epic dance party at the 80's cover band concert ameliorated some of the damage I did.

Sunday was overhead press and power clean day. Working weights:

Front squat @ 125: 5, 5, 5

OHP @ 85: 5,5,5,4,3 (I hear volume can be really helpful for this lift, so I added two extra shorter sets)

Power clean @ 120: 3,3,3,2,3

In the spirit of doing workout finishers that make it difficult to walk home, I ended my workout with three rounds of the following:

Dan John Complex, 3 reps, 65 lbs (Row, Power Clean, Front Squat, OHP, Back Squat, Good Morning)

Farmers carry, 53 lbs per hand, one lap around the weight room

15 Kettlebell swings, 53 lbs

My copy of Practical Programming arrived on Saturday, so I'll be reading that this week, and potentially starting on the Texas Method this week or next (thanks to all the NF Warriors who gave me their thoughts on intermediate programming!)

I also made some progress on my decluttering goal. I swapped out my fall and summer clothing and identified a new pile of stuff to get rid of. I posted about $200 worth of things on ebay, and sent 10 items to Like Twice, an online consignment store. I've never used them before, but I'm interested to see what they'll give me for the stuff I sent. I'm assuming it will be less than I could get on ebay, but with much less hassle.

This whole cleaning out my closet process is actually very related to my fitness goals, because I'd been holding on to a lot of things I can't wear due to weight fluctuations in the past 5 years or so. Some clothing from my fatter days was still hanging around, but it's pretty easy to get rid of that, because it shows how far I've come. It's been harder to get rid of things from my thinner days that no longer fit me, and probably never will. While I lost a good bit of weight, weightlifting has really changed my body. I have a bunch of shirts, jackets and dresses that can't accomodate the fact that I now have back, shoulder and arm muscles. Getting rid of those items means choosing being strong over being smaller but weaker.

Level 2 Amazon Warrior

Oooh, I hadn't heard of this online consignment. I'm on it!

And yes! I totally relate. I recently got rid of a bunch of clothing that will never fit me again... even if I'm "fit" because being skinny isn't what I'm after.  These muscles need room to move, yo. So kudos!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Sunday workout looked very solid.

Red fighter

Keep it up!

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

BOOOOOOOOMMMM

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/37868-starbucks-ladies-be-lifting-a-sisters-getting-swole-challenge/

Also, word to letting go of tiny clothes. I am realizing that if anything, I am just going to keep going up in pant sizes, because my quads and glutes are going to be out. Of. Control. 

"In the silence of your bones and eyes forgotten magic sits and waits for fire." 

-Robert Montgomery

Assassin Crest

human assassin | viper jock
STA: 6.25 | STR: 6.5 | CHA: 9 | WIS: 12 | DEX: 5 | CON: 6.5

Sister's Getting Swole: Starbuck Vs. IrishAmazon

Fitocracy

Ok, here's my scoring rubric for my PvP challenge with CaraStarbuck.

Challenge 1: Lose 15 lbs

Lose 10-15 lbs: 5 points

Lose 5-9 lbs: 4 points

Lose 2-4 lbs: 3 points

Lose 0 lbs, but still do 3 strength and 3 conditioning workouts per week: 2 points

Lose 0 lbs, but still do 2 strength and 2 conditioning workouts per week: 1 points

Challenge 2: Add 15 pounds to my squat. Normally, it would be a bit dumb to try to do both. And it probably still is. But I'm convinced that it's a technique issue, rather than a strength issue.

Add 15 lbs: 5

Add 10 lbs: 4

Add 5 lbs: 3

Add no weight, but fix form issues at current weight: 2

Challenge 3: Test for belt promotion

Test and pass: 5

Test and fail: 3 (A for effort?)

Don't test within boundaries of challenge, but master the zenpo kaitan: 3

Challenge 4: Purge closet and sell $300 worth of stuff

Sell $250 - $300: 5

Sell $200 - $249: 4

Sell $150 - $199: 3

Sell $100 - $149: 2

Sell $50 - $99: 1

Total possible points: 20

Bonus points:

Each sister gets half a point for completing their own guild's weekly side quest, and one point for completing the other sister's guild's weekly side quest.

Level 2 Amazon Warrior

Today's conditioning workout:

Bear complexes: 5 sets of 5 @ 65 lbs, 3 sets of 3 @ 65

Using a 44 lb kettlebell, 3 rounds of 10 goblet squats and 10 kettlebell swings

Rowing: 10 minutes, 45 second rest, 15 second sprint.

I pretty much wanted to die after all of those, so I think I'm on the right track.

I also walked a total of 4 miles today, because the weather continues to be amazing.

Level 2 Amazon Warrior

This looks like an amazing workout. I really like how you are mixing it up. I also love the family competition. Your sister is throwing it right back. Awesome! 

Bear complexes: 5 sets of 5 @ 65 lbs, 3 sets of 3 @ 65

Using a 44 lb kettlebell, 3 rounds of 10 goblet squats and 10 kettlebell swings

Rowing: 10 minutes, 45 second rest, 15 second sprint.

Today's workout was, to put it mildly, less than good. I've found I can workout every day for a while without compromising my lifting as long as I eat enough and get enough sleep. Well, I failed badly on the sleep part. Partly because I went to bed a little on the late side, and partly because my boyfriend decided that he had things he needed to text me at ONE IN THE MORNING. So, I wake up in a haze to the buzzing of my phone, then spend the next hour trying to get back to sleep, before having to get up at 5:30 for my workout with my dad. Not cool, boyfriend, I'm trying to get swole over here.

The upshot? Missed reps, lower weights, sleepwalking through Judo, and generally spending the whole day grouchy. Ugh. 

Squat @ 175: 5,5,5. Got all the reps, but some of them were ugly. Really need to post a form video so I can get some help.

Bench @100: 5, 4, 3. Terrible

Deadlift: 295: 5. Knocked some weight off, because after my bench press disaster, I didn't feel like pushing it.

Didn't have anything left in the tank for my typical complexes or farmer carries workout finishers. I almost skipped Judo this evening too, but I figured I'd be pissed at myself later if they learned something cool while I wasn't there. I'm not sure how much I retained, but I'm glad I went.

Level 2 Amazon Warrior

Thoroughly enjoyed catching up on your challenge thread. Being a newbie, I can only stand by the sidelines and clap but...I'm clapping!!! :surprise:

Race/Class: Level 4 Hiberno-Amazon Ranger

STR = 13, DEX =3, STA = 11, CON =8, WIS = 13 , CHA = 8

First challenge:late-but-willing-to-try/

Second challenge:clearing-a-path-to-greatness/

Third challenge:stronger and braver

Current challenge:tightening the screws

IrishAmazon,  Awesome Goals!!

You are an inspiration of your lifting weights!! Call me impressed and having some work to do.  (the closet one is a fantastic idea, I have too much stuff I don't wear or use int here. Scary!) 

How long have you been lifting?

I will be popping in to check on your progress. Get a bit more sleep and Rock on:highly_amused:

CB3 Warrior Status 

Battle Log

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf

Warrior Level 3

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 5 CON 5 WIS 8 CHA 9

Thanks for the encouragement, guys, it's been a tough week and knowing that someone was holding me accountable really helped me stay on track.

I missed my usual Wednesday workout, thanks to work and grad school homework, but I did make it to Judo on Thursday night, and lifted this morning.

Working weights:

Squat @175: 5,5,5. I'm starting Texas Method on Sunday, and will use the change in programming to deload a bit and work on my form

OHP @ 85: 5,5,5. Might stay at this weight for one more workout, then add 2.5

PC @ 125: 2,3,2,1,1,1,1. Weird, I know. I added some weight, so it's getting harder, but a guy at my gym was nice enough to give me some really good coaching. The good news is that I'm typically strong enough to muscle the weight up. The bad news is that you really shouldn't do that. So I think I'm going to add some serious power clean form work at lighter weights, as well as some heavy singles until I get the shrug and hip drive right, because I think I could be lifting a lot more than this.

I also need to weigh in today or Sunday to check my progress on that front.

For my closet clean-out, it looks like I'm on track to sell between $100 and $150 worth of stuff this weekend

Level 2 Amazon Warrior

Keep up the good work.  I'm sure deloading and working on your form will help.  Maintaining your good habits will get you through.

Storm Silverhand

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Today was my first day of Texas Method. I'm deloading slightly to let my body get used to the higher volume, and because I'm eating at a deficit. I was re-reading Dan John's article on goblet squats(http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most.../goblet_squats_101), and it clicked that I've been folding my torso down to get to depth, rather than really pushing my knees out and letting my butt sink between my legs. Which means that I was having trouble keeping my chest up, and getting power from the bottom of the squat.

Working set numbers:

Squat at 145: 5 x 5. With the form corrections, it felt really good.The added volume is a real killer, though, so I'm glad I took the hit to my ego, dropped the weight, and focused on getting each rep in good form.

OHP @ 75: 5x5. Word on the street is that the OHP responds really well to volume.

Deadlift: 275 x 5, 305 x 2,1,1. Was feeling really good, so I did a heavy double at singles at 305.

My next workout on Tuesday is the recovery workout - 2 sets of lighter squats, a couple sets of lighter bench presses, then my assistance work. I'm thinking glute-hamstring raises, inverse body weight rows, and maybe assisted chin-ups. For the duration of the challenge, I think I'll be doing Dynamic Effort sets for my third workout, rather than setting new 2-5 rep maxes.

Level 2 Amazon Warrior

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines