Pushing a stroller to Rivendell!

Hi there! I'm a recovered WoW player, law school drop-out, Marx Brothers fan and and houseplant enthusiast. 2013 has been a tough year for me but hard times are when warriors are called to adventure. Let's get fit together!

Main Quest: Increase my overall fitness (stamina, flexibility, and lose weight) so that I can keep up with my daughter. She is only 8 1/2 months old but she is my motivation. She's learning to walk, and she is consumed by a driving passion for mastering this new skill that keeps her pulling herself up on furniture over and over. I want to imitate that energy. And as she grows, I never want to squelch that drive because I don't have the energy to keep up with her. And I want to be there for her when she needs me: I want to help her move into her first apartment, show up to cook food for her when she gets the flu even if I have to hop on a plane to do it, and be mentally sharp and physically whole as I get old so she doesn't have to take care of me too early. My family has not been able to be there for me because of health problems, and if I can lead by example so that they want to change, all the better - but they are also a frightening vision of where I'll be in twenty years if I don't challenge the habits I was raised with.

Chapter 1...

1. Eating Paleo. This has been the big adjustment in our household this month, and we're actually two weeks into it. My husband's doctor recommended it as a diet to treat adrenal issues, so for us it's not just about weight loss - it's even more serious. Six weeks is exactly the length of time that the doctor told us to keep our diet very strictly and so this challenge appeared at the perfect time. That said we are focused on the glycemic/insulemic impact of foods more than strictly avoiding agriculture, so we're still figuring out where our boundaries are. I'm breastfeeding and plan to leave in some dairy.

2. Walk with my daughter 6 out of 7 days every week. I really liked the idea of tracking our progress in Middle Earth so I am going to write down how far we've gone, and I'm excited to have someplace to share that!

3. Do something to improve my flexibility every day. By the end of this week I plan to refine this goal to a specific set of stretches as a minimum, and a yoga or stretching video when I have the time. My hamstrings are very tight and I would like to get them more limber so that I can train to run a 5k this spring without injuring myself.

[edit] This 10-minute routine is my daily minimum. It was easy to follow and I could feel every stretch. I'd like to work up to doing more so please link any other good stretches :)

Side Quests.

Diet: Take my vitamins daily! I hate to take vitamins... swallowing a pill makes me feel like I'm sick.

Life: Try something new to eat each week. Last week it was jicama. I was surprised at how much it tasted like a bean sprout... I think I'd expected something more starchy. My daughter really, really liked it.

Jack Sprat could eat no fat, 

His wife could eat no lean,

she taught him to eat paleo,

and now they eat food that's green!

First Challenge, 9/16-10/27

Update for Mon 9/16 - Wed 9/18. 

1. We've stuck to paleo pretty well, but eaten too much fruit to satisfy our sweet tooth, so trying to focus on vegetables more. We also finished off some ingredients that won't keep from my last grocery store trip before our diet change, but the pasta made us both feel weird. I'm interested in food budgeting tips from paleo eaters... My previous strategy at the grocery store involved moderate to heavy couponing, but that leaves you with a lot of heavily processed, sugared-up food. So far we've let sales guide our eating.

Full-fat cooking is so much easier than low-fat cooking and I'm enjoying that. In the past I have baked more than I've cooked; I know that some people make this a big character thing - whether they're a "baker" who follows recipes precisely, or a "chef" who improvises - but I view them as two separate skills instead of an identity. Cooking skills are a lot easier to practice when you aren't torturing a dry chicken breast in a nonstick pan. 

2. We've taken the stroller out all three days and logged a total of 8.8 miles. We've left Bag End, passed The Green Dragon in Bywater, and reached the Great East Road.  The specificity of the mileposts on this website makes me want to patch up Lord of the Rings Online.

3. I've sort of vaguely stuck my legs out now and then, but I think I need to find a specific stretch routine to make my daily goal.

This week's new food is chicken liver, after repeatedly reading how good it was for us. Pan cooking it with breakfast was a bit too much for us liver noobs. I think I'm going to try a pate and bought some cut vegetables to eat it on.

We have some similar goals and I love, love, love that you are pushing your stroller through middle earth.

I've completed two half whole 30s, but that isn't the same as actually following the full 30 days. I struggle with eating Paleo on a budget, but I am slowly figuring it out. It's hard to find anything cheaper than bulk grains and beans, eh?

Ranger in Training

Current 6 Week Challenge: Jolltzzz's Quest for a Healthy Body/Healthy Mind

My First 6 Week Challenge: Jolltzzz Vs. the Vicious Cycle

Attributes: STR 2, DEX 1, STA 3, CON 3, WIS 3, CHA 4

Acountabilitybuddies: Nerd Parents

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you." â€” David Foster Wallace

Full-fat cooking is fantastic.  :)  

I, too, love that you are tracking your stroller pushing.  

Do share you liver successes.  I've yet to find a way to prepare it that induces my husband to eat it....

Dr. Mrs. Kate Murry - Not a Dr. named Kate, nor do I have red hair, but I do have microbiology cred.

Level 3 Manic Pixie Dreamgirl

STR 3/DEX 1/STA 3/CON 3/WIS 3/CHA 2

Current Challege:   no pain =win

Past Challenges: First: 28   Third: 30  :joyous:

Battle Log (Women's NFA) Battle Log

Read the Bible in 2014: 7% finished

"Mercy lives here, at home with the saints and the sinners, mercy lives here" -Derri

Thank you Jacie, Jolltzzz, and Dr. Kate :D I'm so excited to have some accountabilitybuddies!

Yeah, I really miss bulk beans and grains! Both for cutting down the grocery bill and filling up the plate. As someone who hadn't known much of anything about paleo a month ago, that was what shocked me the most about this diet. 

It's raining, so I'll probably make this the skip day for our stroller walk. I did pick a stretch routine to make my daily minimum for #3 (updating the top post) and I'm working on learning it today. I just was reminded to go take my vitamins by this thread, so yay! It's working for me!

We baked some chocolate avocado bread. I had mixed feelings about trying "paleo baking" at all because it feels like a step towards the "you don't need to sacrifice or change!" diet-land of shakes, chemical bars, and failure, but we're used to having something we can just grab for breakfast and this is a good replacement for floury, sugary muffins. As with all gluten-free baking I've tasted it was a bit dense, and not very sweet - I think bananas might actually carry the recipe better, but it was time to puree some avocado anyway for "baby guacamole."

(edit) after reading some links about the Whole 30 approach, I do think that the chocolate bread will be a one-time thing. We need to go all-in for the first few weeks of this and then see what we can tolerate. It's hard to let go of baking as a way to express love (but Husband assures me steak also works).

Liver adventures continue tomorrow... it's such a strong flavor it's hard to ease into it. I'll let you know if anything really works!

Thursday - Saturday...

1. At home we're sticking to our new foods pretty well. We've eaten out twice, and did reasonably well - a bit of rice slipped in one night and I ate some bread the next but we ignored the entire menu of pies, because we knew they would make us feel bad, and had vegetables and meat, yum! We're actually finishing our third week of restricting grains and both noticed that we can taste flour vividly in things like breading. Weird.

2. I skipped the stroller walk on Thursday but Knight Daddy took over, so we still added a mile to our hobbit total and finished Bilbo's first day of travel! On to Frogmorton! I went along for the walks yesterday and today so I'm on track for my personal goal this week.

3. Since choosing the stretch routine I've gotten it in once a day... I'd like to either increase to two sessions or spend more time on the one as it has been rushed some days.

More playing with liver tomorrow, and lots of veggies, then to the grocery store Monday... I'm looking forward to picking out our new thing to try!

Sunday updates, and first week evaluation:

1. Eating. Passing grade last week but barely. Yesterday we grabbed fast food sandwiches because I didn't go to the grocery store, so we had multiple meals where the paleo rules slipped - slightly here and there, not a full off-the-diet binge, but I want grains and legumes out of our diet completely so we can evaluate whether that helps our health. So this week the bar is set higher!

We're on track already for a better week, starting today with scrambled eggs and spinach, a pork chop, peaches, and turnip greens. Grocery store this afternoon, with an emphasis on making easy-to-grab snacks available.

2. Walking. Walking goal met, and I'm encouraged by tracking our mileages! We celebrated Bilbo and Frodo's birthday with a walk at the park instead of around the block. At the park we learned not to keep baby out too late... our stroller had its own siren. A least that made bicycles get out of our way!

3. Stretching. Failed. I have stretched somehow every day since Wed. but not gotten the entire routine in. The mental space for this has been hard to come by because I'm always watching that baby out of the corner of my eye. I'm going to work harder this week to (1) do as much stretching as possible RIGHT AFTER OUR WALK, and (2) do longer stretches when I do get down time to myself.

A. Vitamins. Failed to get them every day; got the multivitamin most days, but need to take calcium with every meal. Broke down and got a pill organizer to help this goal for the coming week!

B. New Things. We got our new food last week (chicken livers!) and this week will be fun to pick out! :D

It looks like you're definitely making steps in the right direction so that's fantastic!  It's great that you and your husband are both 100% on the paleo train.  My ex bf that I used to live with was not keen on joining me eating paleo when I was with him, and that makes it even tougher.

Some small things I like to do to try to save money while eating paleo is cooking with bacon grease (why pay for fat to cook with when there's a "by-product" readily available, bonus: things taste like delicious bacon) and I really try to avoid snacks.  I eat larger meals, stay full longer, and therefore save a bit of $$.  I also plan my meals around common ingredients (ie if I make a soup that uses chicken broth, I'll try to make another recipe that uses it too, same things if you use partial cans of things!)  If you haven't read this yet you should: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/04/22/snacking/

I make these to eat all the time  http://paleomg.com/carrot-breakfast-protein-cake/   They have a "regular baking" texture and are delicious!  I make them as muffins though it makes 10-12 small-ish muffins.  The whole paleomg.com site is awesome.

Anywhoo, it sounds like you're on the right track and definitely have the support of your hubby for the biggest part - food! :)

Thank you Jill! Bacon grease sounds like a great idea, so I'll start saving it!

I make these to eat all the time  http://paleomg.com/carrot-breakfast-protein-cake/   They have a "regular baking" texture and are delicious!  I make them as muffins though it makes 10-12 small-ish muffins.  The whole paleomg.com site is awesome.

This looks amazing and is EXACTLY what I need to replace my flour muffin recipe! Thank you!

Stumbled badly on all goals while traveling, and had to revert to previous eating habits to get to the next paycheck, so starting over tomorrow morning. And that's one way to clear out the pasta/rice/beans. Grocery store trip of raw meat and vegetables accomplished. A friend commented: "You don't eat food any more! You eat parts of food."

The walking total is now 25.4 miles. We've camped with dwarves.

I sometimes find a lot of simplicity in eating pale.  Dinner tonight for me was coconut chicken nuggets, roasted butternut squash and brussels sprouts.  Totally "eating parts of food" lol 

I kinda fell off the wagon last week with traveling too, but we can both get back on track! Although I know this weekend will be a disaster (I'm off to Vegas!!!) but then I'll be ready to do a nice big grocery shop and get right back to it! 

Yay Vegas! That sounds exciting!

I'm really enjoying how spontaneous I can be with my grocery shopping now that we're so focused on meat and vegetables... Acorn squash was on sale so I think we'll have that a lot this week, and I bought a turkey breast so that I can make a big roast and get a night off from cooking without us ending up eating fast food. I'm really feeling fall's arrival and eating squash, cranberries, and turkey is helping me resist baking pies.

3.6 mile walk this morning (she fell asleep so I kept going to get in a nap!). We pass a Pre-K on our block, and two children ran up to the fence, asked the baby's name, and then the little girl announced "we're in day care!" The little boy, perturbed, said "No it's not, it's a LEARNING CENTER," to which she replied "no, it's DAY CARE! See the gate?" For some reason I found this argument hilarious (maybe it was the fact that the gate is definitive).

That's awesome that you snuck in the extra walk! Do it when you can!  I'm loving all kinds of squash too! haven't tried acorn squash yet.  Be sure to share if you find any great recipes! 

Super congrats on your goals!  First, Paleo is wonderful once you adjust.  I have a load of recipes if you want me to share.  Second, my first challenge is also walking to Mordor!  I am 12 weeks pregnant but don't want to completely slack off during the pregnancy!  If you have Endomondo to track your workouts, they have a challenge on their that will help total your miles.  

Good luck!

Megan

Hobbit Druidic Ranger
           Level 2

STR - 1.5
               DEX - 3
               STA - 2
              CON - 1.5
               WIS - 4
              CHA - 2

Current Challenge, Challenge 2, Challenge 1

Important Information