Balsquith's 7th Challenge - Looking for a bit more win!

Balsquith

This mostly a place holder before I finally get around to writing down the goals I am working towards for this challenge.

I managed for various reasons to completely fail the last challenge. I don't think this was because my goals were bad, but I set out with a negative, defensive attitude and this quickly meant that I was struggling. I think that the main thing I want from this current challenge is a bit more win. With this in mind I am setting myself goals that require a bit less of a stretch. I think seeing the positives is the most important thing for me at the moment.

Wood Elf Ranger - Level 10

STR 11.75|DEX 11.5|STA 9.25|CON 11|WIS 11.25|CHA 8.5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Goal 1: Weight training 3x per week

I used to have an exercise habit which kind of crumbled away during the last challenge, to a point where I haven't set foot in a gym for 2.5 weeks and only once a week for the couple of weeks before that. I plan on getting this habit back. Nothing difficult, just getting to the gym 3x per week. I don't have any requirements for time in the gym or what I do there, just getting my training gear on and stepping through the door is all it takes to complete this goal. If I really want to push myself then a bonus point is available for either attanding 6 frisbee sessions over the 6 weeks and/or managing to complete 7 pull-ups (I managed 5 at some point in the last 6 -weeks).

D= 1 session/wk

C= 2 sessions/wk

B= 3 sessions/wk

A= Both Frisbee and reaching the pull-up target raise the grade by 1 level.

Goal 2: Mobility

I used to do daily yoga in the morning, daily stretching the evening and sometimes throw in a MWOD. At present I am not really managing to do any of these things, especially not on a daily basis. This goal is to strive for 20 minutes average of mobility/day. This can come in any form, yoga, stretching or an MWOD.

D=>5 minutes avg/day

C=>10 minutes avg/day

B=>15 minutes avg/day

A=>20 minutes avg/day

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Goal 3: Diet/knowledge

I never really know what to do with my diet. I believe a great deal of this is due to the fact that I don't really know what I am eating and also that I don't really know how my body stands in terms of weight, body composition etc.

Therefore this goal consisted of 4 parts, each of which is worth a point.

1. Track body. Measurements at start/mid and end.

2. Track Food. Track everything for 1 week.

3. Daily fish oil (>80% compliance)

4. 2 servings of vegetables a day (>80% compliance)

Goal 4: German flashcards daily.

I have been trying to learn German, but this has also fallen away in the last few months. I have a stack of flashcards I made, many of which I have probably completely forgotten. This goal will be to get back into the habit of reviewing them daily. For an extra bonus, all I need to do is actually add some more flashcards.

D=reviewed occassionally

C=reviewed regularly (more than 3 times/week)

B=reviewed daily (at least 6 times/week)

A=reviewed daily + added some new cards

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Week 1 update:

1. Exercise. I got to the gym twice last week and went to one frisbee session, so all in all a very good start. Something like a B. The gym was hard work after my lay off and I need to think a bit more carefully as to what exactly I want to acheive in the gym. I tested my pullups and managed to get to 5 again, so still a way to go to get to 7.

2. Mobility. Getting back into it. Approximately 70 minutes for the week so that gives me a C. Definitely going to be ramping this up this week so quite happy with how I have started.

3. Diet. Nothing really done here in terms of my goals, but I have transitioned into something resembling intermitent fasting over the week, so I expect that this week I can concentrate more on what is actually going in. An F for the week, but happy that I am thinking about and working on my diet.

4. German Flashcards. I managed to do this 4 times in the last week which is C. However I have now put together a chain of 4 days in a row so I am hoping that I can maintain this momentum.

Overall this week was much more positive than the grades suggest and I am confident that I can maintain this or hopefully improve on it this week.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

I hope you keep up the good work.  I really understand the times that the motivation gets lost.

swashbuckling

Keep swinging!

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Week 2 update:

1. Exercise. I got to the gym twice last week so not quite as good as I had hoped, but much better than nothing. A C for the week. I felt a bit better in the gym than the week before as the movements started to come back to me. Planning on succeeding with getting to the gym 3 times this week.

2. Mobility. A better week, but I haven't got back to the daily consistency which I was looking for.  Approximately 100 minutes for the week which also gets me a B. With a bit more consistency this week I should be able to get to a B if not pushing for that A.

3. Diet. I haven't really done anything here again. I spent the week days eating to an intermittent fasting style plan which was hard work. I endevour to get as much veg as possible, but am not doing that well at navigating teh easilt accessible food sources. I might have to think about bringing some vegetables with me to work.

4. German Flashcards. I managed to do this 5 times in the last week which is again C. This consistuted every weekday, and given that I was away at the weekend and therefore unable to do these days, I am pretty happy with how I am doing with this one.

It is an improvement in terms of grades from the first week, but strangely I am less happy with how I did this week than the first. I should really be motoring now and hitting the A grades, but I am not acheiving that yet. I need to make sure that I don't settle for getting by and actually do what I set out to do.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Week 3 update:

1. Exercise. I got to the gym twice last week so still not quite reaching my goal. I'm not sure why this is, bad planning and a bit of a lack of motivation. I think I need to make a plan of what I want to acheive in the gym. At the moment sessions can feel a little bit like treading water without a target for improvement to aim for. Once again a C for the week.

2. Mobility. Not very good at all this week. around 80 minutes of time recorded, which works out at a C.

3. Diet. I am sad to say that I haven't really acheived anything here. My food log basically looked the same everyday and I am not very good at estimating how big portions are so I am not getting much information back. The log looks something like this:

Daily food log

Breakfast: No

Lunch: large bowl of noodles. Side of cabbage, green beans, extra beef.

Dinner: Lunch box - Lots of rice, sausage, small amount of cabbage, boiled egg.

Liquid calories: Usually between 0.5 and 1 litre of milk

I look at this and it is about as far away from the diet I have been aiming for as is possible. I am not entirely sure what I intend to do here. The extra sides of vegetables and meat is good, even though they are in some sort of soy based sauce. I wanted to be getting more protein and not as many carbs but this is not happening with this plan.

4. German Flashcards. I once again managed to do something towards this 5 times over the last week. My computer is struggling to start up at the moment which has meant that sometimes it gets annoying to wait and therefore the flashcards don't get done. Once again a C.

I seem to have settled into a routine of hitting C's. This is disappointing. It shouldn't be that hard to get to the gym 3 times during the week. Most of my stretching time comes from my weekly yoga class. If I got something going daily, this target would be easy to reach. I am failing on the diet goal. I think that much of this is due to not actually knowing what I can do to improve things here. Reviewing my flashcards 5 times a week is much better than nothing, however I really wanted to use this as a spur to get me back into learning, which hasn't happened.

Plenty to work on this week.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

In an effort to see where my week is going I am going to attempt to update as I go along this week. Hopefully this should spur me on to greater things, or make me depressed, either way something might change!

Monday

Gym: 0 of 3 sessions

Stretching: 10 minutes (squat position and some leg stretches)

Food: lunch - large beef rice soup and vegetable side dish. Dinner - Rice lunch box. 1/2 litre milk.

German: 30 minutes doing Grammar exercises. (my computer did not want to start today - a very bad sign).

My plan is to go to the gym on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Wednesday

Gym: 2 of 3 sessions

Stretching: 20 minutes

Food: Much the same as Monday, but fitting in 2 dinners to get in some more calories.

German: My computer decided to die which wasn't very helpful. I'm not sure if my flashcards even exist now! I have been doing daily grammar exercises though and realising how little I know instead.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Week 4 Update.

Well updating everyday didn't work out as planned, but I think the week was more productive all round none the less.

1. Exercise. I got to the gym 3 times last week which means that I finally hit my target and get a B for the week. Still stuck on 5 pullups, but I can get there with better form now, so I should try to push the 6.

2. Mobility. Hmm, only about 60 minutes for the week, which means that I slipped down to a D. I can do a lot better. Not going to a 60 minute yoga class meant that this week was always going to be a struggle. I need to try and get something daily going.

3. Diet. I haven't really changed anything here. I am still continueing with intermittent fasting.

4. German Flashcards. My computer died so this goal has become a bit untenable. Instead I have being doing daily grammar or writing practise. I am very happy indeed with how I have done this week, even though it wasn't the original goal I am going to give myself an A for the week.

A mixed week, but with some high points.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Week 5 Monday

Exercise: 1 of 3 for the week. Gym was for an unexplainable reason hugely crowded so I modified my workout a bit. I am feeling that lately I am getting weaker if anything. I think it is a mental thing. I want to start doing more crossfit style workout so that I have a time go to aim towards. I think this is what my motivation requires.

Mobility: 10 minutes of squat position and leg stretches.

Diet: Lunch - noodles and vegetables. Dinner - Burger with egg. As well as not eating very healthily, I don't think I was anywhere near enough calories for the day here.

German: Grammar exercises and a bit of reading.

Not a bad day all round

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Week 5 Thursday

Exercise: 3 of 3 for the week. The gym has been unusually crowded this week which has led me to changing a few things around. I like how this week has been going though although I think I need to have more of a plan to focus on.

Mobility: 80 minutes so far for the week. This included a 60 minute yoga class.

Diet: I still worry about my diet as much as anything, I think I need to be getting more calories in.

German: Grammar exercises, reading and writing all accomplished.

The week is going quite well all round

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Week 5 Update

1. Exercise. I got to the gym 5 times last week (potentially all slightly shorter sessions than in previous weeks), which was great and means that I hit my targetfor workouts. I also tested my pullups and managed to get to 7!! They might not have been the best looking pullups, but I am extremely happy to have acomplished it. Definitely an A for the week.

2. Mobility. I got up to 100 minutes for the week. I could definitely be doing better, but it is still a B, so I am happy to have done that much at least.

3. Diet. I haven't really changed anything here. I am still continuing with intermittent fasting. I am not adapting at all. I am still extremely hungry every morning. I thought this would have changed by now.

4. German Flashcards. My computer died so this goal has changed slightly. Instead I have being doing daily grammar or writing practise. Once again I am very happy with how this has been going, and I can comfortably give myself an A.

Good to see a couple of A finally popping up in the weekly review. It is a shame that I haven't done anything with my diet though, particularly when I know how important it is.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Your grades are getting better and better!  Good job especially with turning around the issues with the German flascards on the laptop to writing and grammar practice.  That seems to have helped rather than hurt your practice. 

Elven archer

Right on target to finish out the challenge.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Week 6 Tuesday

Gym: 2 of 3 sessions

Stretching: 20 minutes

Food: Still feeling extremely hungry in the mornings. I am probably not getting enough food in during my 8 hour window

German: Not the best start to the week, a bit of reading done but on a couple of grammar exercises and no writing yet.

Still on course to finish the challenge strongly, with only my diet section letting me down.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

I failed to write down my attribute points at the beginning, so here they are:

Exercise: Str - 2, Sta - 2

Mobility: Dex - 2, Sta - 1

Diet: Con - 2, Wis - 2, Cha - 1

German: Wis - 2, Cha - 1

I therefore gained the following points:

Exercise: B - Str +1.5, Sta +1.5

Mobility: C - Dex +1, Sta +0.5

Diet: F