Rostov VIII: Late, and without a witty title

Rostov

Been very busy, so very late to the challenge... but here goes...

Backstory:

Well.... I've lost over 70lbs in about 15 months, since I started counting properly. I am a shadow of my former self - my trousers were size 42", now they're 34" and loose.  My t-shirts were XL or XXL, now they're L, and my autumn jacket is a (admittedl generously sized) medium.  Point is, I've lost a lot of weight, and at the start of this challenge I'm about 79.4kg (175lbs, 12st 7lbs).  I'm 5' 10", a height that has thankfuly remained constant.  I've finished couch-to-5k. My 5k PB is 23:21. I've done an unofficial self-timed 10k in just under 55 mins.  I can do 2-3 pull ups, and I've gone fron knee push-ups to standard to decline to one footed to walking.  I've seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Main Quest: Healthily Ever After

While I wouldn't mind losing a few more pounds, that's no longer the priority.  The challenge now is to move from weight loss to maintence.  I've watched some alarming documentaries about weight loss that indicate that a lot of people who lose a lot of weight will put it back on again... with interest... over time.  I don't want this to happen to me.  And I think it probably won't because I don't intend to relax and go back to my old eating habits now that I've lost the weight.  I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing, and maintain those habits.  But one of the things that I've learnt is that habits aren't permenant, and losing the good ones and acquiring the bad ones is always a danger.  So my main quest - which I estimate will take the rest of my life - will be to keep my good habits and resist the formation of bad habits.  For this challenge in particular, I want to continue to think about balance... balance between food and exercise; between exercise and other aspects of my life; just.... balance.

Mission 1: Fix my damn ankle

A constant refrain of my last few challenges has been an ankle stability problem.  It was getting better, but I've had another setback recently and not been able to run for about three-four weeks.  I have a 10k race in a few days which I'd love to do, and which I might just about be ready for.  And whether I do that or not, the focus of this challenge will be fixing my ankle.  Top priority.  Everything else gets sacrificed to that.  I've had problems on and off since December, and I'm chewing the furniture with frustration.  At least now I have a diagnosis, some exercises to do to strengthen it, and a plan.  So I'm going to do the exercises every day.. something which (bewilderingly) I've not always done... habits again, forgetting etc.  I'm going to strengthen it again, and I'm going to build it up running again slowly.  I'm going to fight my instict and exhileration at being able to run again and ending up running faster/further than I expected, and instead I'm going to go for short runs, slowly increasing distance.  And when I'm back, I'm going to run a proper 10k in the autumn, I'm going to see if I can beat by 5k PB, and I'm going to run the whole ten miles of the canalside walking/running/cycling path.  Just not during this challenge.

Mission 2: Arms and the Man

I've been neglecting my upper body strength... lost the push-up / pull-up habit.  So I'm going back to that... push-ups and pull-ups every day, and by the end of the challenge I'd like to get to 5 pull ups.

Lifequest:  Rostov's romance sub-plot

My last quest featured the challenge of moving on from a previous relationship, and either doing something positive about looking for a new one, or at least thinking about whether I wanted one at all, and what kind of life I wanted.  Well, I signed up for internet dating, and while I've let to actually meet anyone, it's been a very positive experience in terms of self-esteem.  I've developed some rejection resilience through learning not to worry about not hearing back from some people after sending messages, and I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the women who want to look at my profile, who want to contact me, or who have responded to a message from me.  So it turns out that I'm not quite as hideous as I thought.  Couple of irons in the fire as we speak which I think will lead to actual real life dates.  My quest is to keep up these efforts, to continue to learn, and not to restrict my efforts on this front to internet dating.

Sidequest 1: The Chronicles of Rostov

I've recieved a lot of help and support and reassurance from this community, and I'd like to think that I've paid at least some of that forward.  What I'm going to do is to write a full account of how I succeeded in losing weight, what my strategy was, what I learnt on the way, what I'd say to people who are where I was 15 months ago.  I won't present what worked for me as suitable for everyone, but hopefully some people will find this useful.  This will probably end up being quite a long post, so it'll take time to write and to get right.

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

Good luck on your goals

I broke my ankle many many moons ago, and I remember having to do strength exercises for it in PT and then doing them at home, and it was a while before I got back to full strength, so keep at it, it will get better

and I love Blade Runner, one of my favorite movies, "Wake up! Time to die!"

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Wow!  There is so much win in your thread, I don't even know where to start!  After reading this, I am inspired and refreshed. :applouse: 

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

I look forward to reading your 15-month story, Rostov! (your thread title sounds like a Russian space probe!)

I'm also 5'10" and my main quest is to get down to about the weight you are now ~170 lbs or so. I'm currently 223 lbs with one challenge under my belt!

Gyro, level 2 Hill Dwarf scoutSTR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Accountibilibuddy Group: Consulting Knights in the TARDIS

Previous Challenge

"Ad Astra Per Aspera!"

Thanks everyone.  Oddly, "Rostov" is from the name of one of the families in 'War and Peace'... I think I borrowed it for a D&D character years and years ago, and I've had used it as a pseudonym in a few places since, though not for a while now.  I think it's also a name of a river, and a fairly common surname in parts of Russia.

So far this challenge is going reasonably well. 

I think I've put on a bit of weight over the last week or so - not much, but the scale is showing it, and I'm feeling it.  In my search for balance I'm wondering whether I need to change another habit, and switch from having toast for breakfast to having a banana.  There's a calorie saving there, and the problem with having bread in the house for toast for breakfast is that I'll eat it at other times too.  It's an easy, lazy. snack.  This time last year I'd have been delighted - delighted! - to know that in the future my guilty snacking achilles heel would be bread - but that's the old me.  Having a banana rather than bread would buy me some extra calories, so I could either eat a bit more later in the day, or exercise a bit less, on average.  Thing is, I like bread and I particularly like toast.... but maybe I should try this and see what happens.

I've done pretty well with exercising my ankle, and in aligning my thoughts and plans to a new rehabilitation plan.  I dropped out of the 10k, as I realised that what I thought might be a gradually improving cycle of injury-recovery, but with a general trend of improvement, may just be a constant injury-recovery-reinjury cycle which ultimately goes nowhere.  So I'm going to take my time, and when I get back to running, it's going to be short distances only, and a very slow build-up.

I've put my pull-up bars up again, and I can lift myself, lower myself, and not quite lift myself again.  I've gone from 2-3 to 0.... it's true what they say about use it or lose it.  Probably 5 by the end of the challenge is too ambitious, but I'd like to at least get back to where I was with it.

Telling my story is taking longer than I thought, but I've had some ideas about how I might structure it, so that's some progress at least....

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

I used to always have toast for breakfast but then I did a Whole 30 last challenge and was forced to switch to eggs & bacon for breakfast and now it's totally become a habit (it's what I had for brekkies today).

Gyro, level 2 Hill Dwarf scoutSTR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Accountibilibuddy Group: Consulting Knights in the TARDIS

Previous Challenge

"Ad Astra Per Aspera!"

Eggs and bacon for breakfast sounds awesome, but it takes longer than just waiting for the toaster, and I don't tend to leave myself that much time in the mornings.  I tried eating a banana for breakfast instead of toast for a couple of days, and found myself much hungrier later in the day and more likely to start snacking.  I think I might stick with the toast most of the time, but perhaps have a banana instead a couple of days per week.

On a more general update theme... I'm down to 78.1kg (172 lbs, 12st 4) and I think that's probably enough, or nearly enough.  I still think that I'm carrying a bit of weight around my stomach, but while my face isn't quite looking gaunt or sallow, it's probably not very far away.  I think also I could continue to convince myself that I had weight to lose if I thought of my stomach as being the size it is after a big meal, when I'm pushing it out.

The upper body stuff isn't going so well.  I keep forgetting my push-ups, and my pull-up bar came down when I had visitors and hasn't gone back up yet.  I'd got back to managing 2 (sort of), but there's no way I'll have 5 by the end.

As regards the romance sub-plot.... met someone for a drink... went well.  Will meet again.

I've written up the beginnings of my story for the Chronicles challenge, but I need to make time to get back to it.

Spoiler

Another quick update.  Went for a run on Saturday, just for a mile or so.  Felt good, no immediate reaction, and it felt fine the following day.  Weather permitting, I'll do the same run again tonight and then probably every other day for a week or so before risking increasing the distance a little.

Decided against swapping toast for a banana.  I tried it for a few days, and found it harder to resist food temptation later in the day.  But I might return to this.

Upper body strength work isn't really happening.  Took the pull-up bar down, and it's still not back up again.  Will try to remember this evening!

Romance sub-plot.  Met a couple more times. Not sure.

Chronicles - about 2/3 written, but needs finishing and then some editing.

Spoiler

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines