Archers ! Take your Mark !

That's a great idea!!! The only one I've found so far is unfortunately 30 miles away... I'll have to do some planning, but it's do-able! :D

Yes, just get the bases of the postures (and safety routines) and you will be able to train by yourself if you can find some space...

And you will be able to train even without target... (repeating the movements with the bow until perfection).

Like in this video of Tim Ferris trying yabusame...

http://vimeo.com/8611471

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.â€

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

Do you have a specific archers outfit ?

URGHH! Don't get me started.

In the UK one of the governing bodies (GNAS) required you to wear either registered club colours or GNAS colours. This includes a choice of white or green trousers. Only the green trousers have to be bottle green, pantone number and everything. Even talking about adding black trousers to the mix (gods forbid camoflage of any kind) on UK archery forums results in conversations being closed.

That's only competition though. Practise shoots and club shoots should only need sensible clothing (not too baggy, not likely to catch in the string, sensible shoes/trainers/boots...)

• Like 1

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

I have been a very active archer since 2003. Traditional / field archery ( 3d shooting).

I had to drop a couple of years ago because  commuting to the range took ages and I did not have a spare afternoon a week :-(

I hope to start again this spring now that my eldest son is at age to begin shooting some arrow

Level 4 Elf Monk Ranger

STR - 13 DEX - 8 STA -5 CON - 6 WIS - 6 CHA - 5

Current challenge Past challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Blog

" what do you know about yourself if you haven't been in a fight?"

I have always been fasinated by archery, but have never really devoted a lot of time to it. I have a Banshee compound bow with nothing on it. I prefer recurve bows though. It is my goal this year to get out and practice more. Unfortunatly, I live where the weather is not always the best to go outside in.

There is no association near you to be able to train indoor, when it's raining ?

I am quite lucky in this field as i can train any day of the week, under rain, snow, as we use two training fields, one indoor, one outdoor .

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

I have been a very active archer since 2003. Traditional / field archery ( 3d shooting).

I had to drop a couple of years ago because  commuting to the range took ages and I did not have a spare afternoon a week :-(

I hope to start again this spring now that my eldest son is at age to begin shooting some arrow

Great !!! keep going ! and with your kid, it will be great to share a passion !!!

• Like 1

Bruce Lee

There is no association near you to be able to train indoor, when it's raining ?

I am quite lucky in this field as i can train any day of the week, under rain, snow, as we use two training fields, one indoor, one outdoor .

The weather is really windy. I do not know of any day when it is not windy. I believe that the closest training field is about fifteen miles away. I currently do not have the time to go there and practice. My backyard is plenty big to practice in though.

Ranger - Level 7

My Character

Current Challenge

Have you contacted them? Our one has 140 people on the list which can take 12 at a time and only runs twice a year. Ours works on a basis of if you're on the list you get the email to say there's one and the first 12 get places.

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

Hey all! I have been shooting off and on since I was 8 so... 13 years? I am not good because I slacked off big time when I started instructing instead of practicing, now I plan on fixing that! 

Personally I have two bows, my compound is a Bear Homewrecker (2010) and my recurve is a Hoyt Buffalo (Fred Eichler Signature). 

Hey all! I have been shooting off and on since I was 8 so... 13 years? I am not good because I slacked off big time when I started instructing instead of practicing, now I plan on fixing that! 

Personally I have two bows, my compound is a Bear Homewrecker (2010) and my recurve is a Hoyt Buffalo (Fred Eichler Signature). 

That sounds great !!

What are you planning to do then ?

:)

Bruce Lee

I've been into archery sice i learned how to handle a bow while i was in scouts.

I live in the country, so there's plenty of room to shoot, including an abandoned field.

I'm just a casual hobby archer, but i like compound bows.If i could i would love to get a medieval english longbow.I'm thinking about making my own bows out of PVC soon.

Lvl.0 Half-elf Jedi-initiate

My first challenge

My log

I'm very glad to see that someone started this post, and that it's really taken off. I have long considered archery to be just as much a martial art as it is a modern sport.....perhaps one of the original martial arts.

I first got into archery seriously about 6 years ago. I started with an English style longbow I got for cheap of ebay. I soon got into compound bows when I was living way up north in a very rural area, where bow-hunting was a way of life to many, not just a pastime. I'm not a hunter myself, but I got into shooting compounds simply because that's all anyone else up there would shoot. I'm glad I gave compound bows a try, as it allowed me to compete on a level field with the other local archers in shooting leagues (no matter how good I got with that longbow, I was never going to out-shoot an expert hunter with a compound....but with my compound I could at last match them, and sometimes even beat them). It was a lot of fun, and I got to know some good people (and a few assholes, but hey whatever). I still have my old Alpine Frontier, a pretty modest and forgiving setup as far as compounds go. I also added a second longbow to my collection shortly after I bought the compound, also for cheap on ebay, but a more modern, stronger design with an arrow shelf and heavier draw weight....not ever wanting to abandon my original infatuation with archery, which comes from traditional style bows.

Today I just picked up my bows for the first time in probably over a year. Considering how long it's been, I think my groupings were pretty solid, both with the longbow and the compound (meaning arrows practically on top of each other with the compound). I plan to get back into the sport and make it a regular thing, much like when I was living way up north. There are a couple of good indoor shooting ranges where I live now. The one outdoor range in town is in pretty bad shape, as I don't think the club that runs it has put any work into it for a few years. But at least there are the indoor ranges, and some decent outdoor ranges within an hour drive.

Daryl of Barbaria - Rebel

Well, we're in it now. The s**t's hit the fan.

I recently found out about a newer outdoor archery range in my area that is owned by the city government, basically making it like any public park. So in other words....free to go shoot! And it's a great facility too. One side has three targets at 20 yds, and the other has a series of targets starting at 20 yds with the next one moving up in 10 yd increments, up to 80 yds max! I've never had access to an outdoor range like this, so I'm pretty exited about it. Definitely a great find for a guy just getting back into the sport.

Daryl of Barbaria - Rebel

Well, we're in it now. The s**t's hit the fan.

I got into archery about 4 or 5 years ago. Went with an events group I belong to to a local range one night just for something to do. I fell in love. Went back, signed up for classes and two months later was buying my own bow and arrows. I bought (and still use to this day) a simple Olympic Recurve. Barebow. I don't like all the extra stuff you can attach. I want to be good because of me, not because I had help with gadgets.

For a while I was going once a week to the range (its 45 minutes from my house, so a drag to there everyday). Then the lease ran up, so coach had to find a new place, and then he got really sick. So for about a year and a half I probably shot a handful of times in my backyard since I had no place indoor to go. Last summer he opened again. I've been going off and on since. Recently I've gone on a couple month hiatus due to injury. A pinched nerve in my neck and and overused and stressed right arm made is painful to shoot. So I haven't stepped foot in a range or held a bow since late May/June.

Aside from my simple recurve, I own a longbow that is a replica of the one used in the beginning of the first Hunger Games movie. I've only strung it once and now it just sits unstrung on my wall as more of a decoration than anything. But I'd love to actually try a longbow.

[EDIT] Forgot to add: I'd love to try archery on horseback one day! I saw it done once and it looks like so much fun. However, the nearest place to me that trains people is over 100 miles away. So, right now, it's just a dream.

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Well, if this thread is alive, I have to chip in :)

I've been shooting Olympic Recurve for a little over a year. Indoor only, for the time being. I'm getting pretty good at it, and I hope to be a part of my club's team next season (living in the southern hemisphere, our indoor archery season goes from Feb-March thru August).

Interesting... Personally, I shoot Oly Recurve because that's what the closest/most convenient club specializes in, but I can't say I don't like any kind of bow. However, if I were to change divisions, it'd probably be to traditional (longbow/instinctive recurve). I enjoyed shooting a compound that belongs to another shooter at my club, but to me it's a bit like the Formula One of archery: it shoots arrows, it's technically the best performer among bows, but it looks more like an engineering experiment than an ancestral weapon, just like Formula One cars look like anything but cars.

I don't have any instructors nearby here in Vermont, so I've had to train myself as best I can with the help of YouTube. I like Grizzly Jim's instructional videos best, and have a cardboard box target in my backyard. I don't use bullseyes; I like the "aim small, miss small" theory of aiming for a tiny point on the box rather than a giant bullseye. My epic loot for when I hit my fitness/weight goal will be a new bow!

Level 10 Ranger | Respawned
Challenges 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Peers: Chronologically Blessed