• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Timmy M

Beginnings of Elbow Tendonitis?

yes yes i know, go see the doctor, i've got a lot on and i'm going to go next week or maybe the week after depending on things (i'm getting ready to buy a house :D

basically i'm getting elbow pains, some soreness/slight pain in my flexors (also got some knots i'm working out of the lateral head of my tricep), i'm thinking its a mix of a fair amount of gripping work like deadlifts (i do DOH until approx 85% 1RM), kroc rows and i always 'suicide grip' bench press, ohp, pendlay rows and pull ups (thus requiring more work from the forearms to grip) as well as the fact that i get elbow clicks unless i do my dips with elbows right agains my torso (even if the grips are further apart).

i'm going to carry on lifting but stick to variants of squats mostly, front (olympic), back and possibly zercher, maybe some pressups as they don't require grip and sets of 20 don't really effect me and might use the rear delt flye machine a bit too as i don't have to actually grip anything with that

anyone got any tips and tricks that will either relieve the pain (without any form of drugs), fix the symptoms or prevent me from getting worse until i get chance to make an appointment?

I've got it in my left elbow something bad. Tandonitis is overuse, so the best medicine tends to be complete rest. natuarally I refuse to do it and have had it for months now. A big contributer for me is bench press, but mostly the torque from low bar squats and pulling the bar down too hard with my hands. Cleans didn't help either. I'd like to see what you find out as I won't be resting it (taking out all triggers) until December.

the mobility wod video helped with the direct pain, how long that'll last i don't know, i didn't do the band thing though due to lack of bands, found a wicked knot in my trap after doing that laying down thing with the lacrosse thing and i used a 2" ball bearing for the ball thing (me so smaaaaaaart :tongue:)

i also did a bit of release on the lateral triceps head, laying down and pressing my arm on a baseball, i probably overuse my tri's a touch, all my ohp's are right down to my chest and typically paused (which broscience says works your tris more), i typically go for a closer bench grip when training and i've started dipping a lot more 

also just found another knot in the long head whilst typing this, i need to mobilise a wee bit more lol

fuuuuuck now it hurts, i need to get some bands so i can beat the crap out of it with a marble or something, got me some properly deep and stubborn bits of tightness around the joint, this better not keep me up, i've got widowmakers in 9 hours :/

i got the flexbar at cline's recommendation, and it's really helped my elbows.

SQUEEEE!!! Flexbar love!

wow that thing looks funky, is it definitely worth it? i've been doing plenty of pressure point too whilst trying not to grip as much as i usually do

Yup.  It's awesome.  I have it here at work with me today.  I got the green one.  I might upgrade to a different/harder one. 

Eccentric movement is key.  Google the flexbar vids. 

So this is really becoming and issue. Due to the pain in trying not to clamp down with my arms as much and the bar is rolling down my back. I have bruises from it on my arms and missed reps. Might need to check out this flex bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

when i don't grip so hard squatting due to this i tend to allow my elbows up a bit more to allow me to push the bar more into my back instead of pulling it onto my back, works ok for lighter reps

I had elbow/lower biceps pain, it may have been tennis elbow, I don't know.  I do know that it was pretty intense and scary.  I concluded that it was caused (self diagnosed and observed during personal video) by action during squats.  While on heavy squats, as I ascended I would pull down on the bar, like trying to do a pull up on the bar while pushing away the earth with my legs.  I would have bent the bar around my neck, in other words.  These were the "about to pass out" kind of squats, and the torque I was placing on my arms was the farthest thing from my mind until I was actually under the bar and felt myself do it.  I took a week off squats, did some medium intensity curls and (I think) some triceps work.  Went back to squatting and focused on shoulder blades together, back tight, and not pulling the bar down.  The pain faded fairly soon after.

Maybe that will help, but hope you recover soon. 

did this (not as hard) with some crappy exercise bands, helped a bit, i probably need to get something stronger and get someone to help me with it to get a better effect

a few attempts with the aforementioned video (had one go with a friend but took too long on the wrapping and i had to sit down afterwards  :blink:) some light arm work and rest (WORSE THING EVAR!!!!!... seriously FUCK rest) and i'm not too shabby now, taking it relatively easy this week (boo me no max singles) so limiting pressing and gripping (i hate not deadlifting) and plenty of squatting (not too heavy 'cause that aggravates the elbow!  :mad-new: aggravates me more like...)

Hey Y'all, dont be stupid. Take some time off, stick with lower body stuff for awhile. When tendon's are inflammed, they become weaker and more prone to rupture. I've seen a few patients in my day who try to "work through it" and it doesn't end well. It's better to spend 1-2 weeks resting and using NSAIDs (naproxen, ibprofen), versus months of recovery/surgery. Yeah the chance is low, but staying healthy and functional is just as important, if not more than training.

elbow_distal_biceps_rupture_causes01.jpg

My problem is the meat shelf fatigues and the bar then starts rolling down or I just start too far down in the first place, requiring me to either rack the bar and reset or to tighten my grip and compensate with the arms. The later is what is causing the issues. The former causes more reps if I repeat the ones completed before reracking, which sucks especially so during Smolov, or mid set rest if I don't repeat which is also no bueno for tracking progression, but I'm doing it if needed at this point to try to fix the elbow.

I'm trying to focus on slightly higher bar placement in the beginning to avoid the bar rolling down, which is defnitely helping, and on maintaining a good shelf the whole way. Once Smolov base is done I think I'm going to add in some heavy walkouts with an exagerated shelf with holds for time to help improve my ability to maintain it under heavy loads. After my competition in December and some rest, I'm going to drop the intensity and up the volume for a few months on everything to try to add some muscle mass, which should help with the shelf as well.

did this (not as hard) with some crappy exercise bands, helped a bit, i probably need to get something stronger and get someone to help me with it to get a better effect

I'm gonna have to teach my super friend how to do this. When he forces the forearm up and rotating backward before the raise the roof part, that is the exact forced motion from the bar rolling down the back that is causing the issue.

I had elbow/lower biceps pain, it may have been tennis elbow, I don't know.  I do know that it was pretty intense and scary.  I concluded that it was caused (self diagnosed and observed during personal video) by action during squats.  While on heavy squats, as I ascended I would pull down on the bar, like trying to do a pull up on the bar while pushing away the earth with my legs.  I would have bent the bar around my neck, in other words.  These were the "about to pass out" kind of squats, and the torque I was placing on my arms was the farthest thing from my mind until I was actually under the bar and felt myself do it.  I took a week off squats, did some medium intensity curls and (I think) some triceps work.  Went back to squatting and focused on shoulder blades together, back tight, and not pulling the bar down.  The pain faded fairly soon after.

Maybe that will help, but hope you recover soon. 

a few attempts with the aforementioned video (had one go with a friend but took too long on the wrapping and i had to sit down afterwards  :blink:) some light arm work and rest (WORSE THING EVAR!!!!!... seriously FUCK rest) and i'm not too shabby now, taking it relatively easy this week (boo me no max singles) so limiting pressing and gripping (i hate not deadlifting) and plenty of squatting (not too heavy 'cause that aggravates the elbow!  :mad-new: aggravates me more like...)

Planning on adding light bicep curls in but otherwise removing any pullig or back squats in for the entire month of December after my comp to give it a rest. It's what made it go away for almost 6 months last time.

i also found out today that going high bar makes my elbow not hurt after squats, gonna stick with front and HB for a while, my elbow and quads will thank me

This happened to me after my first month of Stronglifts. I kept on going for another month, then the pain in my left elbow got bad, so I completely stopped all lifting for a month. I went to a doctor, but all he did was have me make a physical therapy appointment (in two days). After my month off it's better, but still not completely back to normal.

I found that keeping my arm straight helps. If I go to sleep with my arm straight I can sometimes keep it straight all night and wake up feeling good. Otherwise if I bend my arm, I'll wake up aching.

I got it on my right elbow at the beginning of the year. I did the following decreased the weight, bought the arm band for tennis elbow called air soft and wear it when I work out. When it hurts I ice it for 10-15 minutes. Now the pain only occurs once in a while.

I had this happen to me a while ago mainly from bicep curls and triceps extensions ended up dropping those exercises from my repertoire ended up just doing more dips and weighted chin ups and no loss in size to arms and the tendinitis ended up going away over time haven't had it in years.

it's pretty funny how the exercises which caused your tendonitis are helping solve mine, mine was more due to heavy grip work with an absence of upper arm work causing imbalance/tendons not being strong enough in that area to act in a support function, though of course lowering the weight is a given, it's aggravating that i've had to drop things but my Klokov Press has gone up now that i'm doing that instead of other pressing movements (keeping my dips bodyweight too) but i have no idea what my Deadlift will be like, my heavy squatting, plenty of chins and learning the Front Lever and might keep it where it is hopefully