Eli's changing from Druid to Assassin!

Eli

Hello! 

I don't know where the time has gone, but I totally missed that the challenge started last week! School has been crazy, so that's probably why I forgot about NF...

I've moved from the Druid's to the Assassin's guild  because I feel like you might be a huge help to my Main Quest at this point in my life. I started out in NF as a human who wanted to eventually become an elf druid-assassin! I'm getting closer to becoming an elf and I've finally reached a point where I can start my assassin training (but still be Druidy). 

MAIN QUEST: To be come an elf druid-assassin...which basically means, for me specifically, that I would like to become more toned, flexible, and more disciplined (both mentally and physically). 

Mission 1: To walk to or from school once every weekday

Mission details: I have a 3.3 km walk between home and school. It usually takes me about 35-40 minutes depending on the day. I would like to walk this at least once a day rather than taking the 10 minute bus ride. If I happen to walk both to school and home, that's great too! I will allow myself two MISS days total over the course of the challenge in case I have a lot to carry to school and back (because walking that far with too much weight is more damaging than helpful). 

Mission purpose: To sneak some fitness into my extremely busy schedule in the hopes of toning up and dropping some of my leg fat. I don't want to drop body weight, however; I've been keeping myself at a steady 132 lb. (I'm female, 29 yrs, and 5'6") and I think that's just about perfect. What I'm after is toning but I have too busy a schedule to accommodate strict gym dates (believe me, I've tried!). I've used this goal in some previous challenges to good effect, but have fallen off the wagon a bit (or perhaps I should say "fallen onto the bus"...).

Mission rewards: +3 STA, +2 CONS

Mission 2: To practice Wing Chun everyday for 30 minutes

Mission details: To spend at least 30 minutes every day practising Wing Chun, even if it's just the breathing or standing position. 

Mission purpose: I recently started learning Wing Chun kung fu and I absolutely LOVE IT! It's like I've been missing something in my life all this time, but never could quite figure out what it was... it was Wing Chun :) For the first time in my life since discovering I loved science, I actually have a drive to be REALLY GOOD at something. So that's what I want to do, be the best I can be.

Mission rewards: +3 STR, +2 DEX, +1 CHA (just because...)

Note: Part of being the best I can be will require some added flexibility. In order for me to preform Wing Chun, I need to keep my muscles limber and that will require some yoga. Rather than making yoga a mission or side quest (it doesn't really fit as a side quest), I'll just add it in as a side note because I'd still like to track my yoga progress because it benefits my ability to complete this mission.

Mission 3: To be disciplined with my study schedule

Mission details: I have been making and keeping to a strict study schedule because it has helped me organize my time and be more efficient. I will be posting my monthly schedules here (if I can figure out how...), for accountability sake, and I would like to keep to the schedule EXACTLY. I will, however, allow 2 days of extension total for the duration of the challenge in case something happens (like a doctors appointment, car breaks down, etc...).

Mission purpose: Typically, in graduate studies, your supervisor implements some sort of guidance and study direction. Unfortunately, my supervisor is almost none existent in my life and I've had to make huge changes to my study behaviours and technique to keep myself on track according to the guidelines set out by the school of graduate studies. This is one of those changes.

Mission rewards: + 3 WIS

LIFE SIDE QUEST: To figure out how to balance school, fitness, and my relationship

Details: My rule has always been this: work hours are for school only, evenings and weekends are for personal life only. I'm finding that I have so much school work to do all the time that it occasionally blows over into my personal time. I also seem to have so many things on-the-go in my personal time (e.g. house chores, hobbies, fitness, ect.) that they seem to invade my work time (like right now...at school, not working, but writing on NF instead...sigh). With so many things taking up those two slots, its difficult to find time for all the other things I want to do and also time for romance with my significant other!

My partner and I were discussing this problem the other day. We both have so many things we would like to do with our lives (e.g. get in shape, eat healthy by preparing meals ahead of time when we're busy, learn another language, learn to play an instrument, get a dog, save money, get more sleep, spend more time together, quit some bad habits, etc.). Our problem is that we both are so busy all the time that when we do actually have TIME, we're so exhausted from our lives that we just fall onto the couch and never get up again! Our question to the universe was this, "How do other people do it?!" 

So this is my life side quest; to figure out "How other people do it" and also to get to the root of our own issue and figure out how to make the most of our lives! It doesn't really make sense to either of us to always feel so exhausted. There is a lot of life to be lived out there in the world, but we can't seem to get out and live it. It's not really even that we can't find the time, because there is time we just are using that time to feel like buckets of jello on the couch.... What's going to happen if we have kids?!?!  I'm going to keep working through this issue during this challenge and hopefully figure it out :) Please reply if you have any suggestions!!! 

Human Druid-Assassin, Level 3

STR: 4.25 | DEX: 3.5 | STA: 6.5 | CON: 9.35 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 3

Update: I walked home yesterday, walked to school today and am going to walk home again today (my bus pass expired, so that's helped!). I also did yoga this morning and plan to get some wing chun practice in tonight. I had a wing chun class yesterday morning and will go to another one tomorrow. I also submitted a draft of my thesis proposal to my committee today (a day late according to my personal school schedule) so that felt great! I'm now completely mentally exhausted and might go home early to get some house chores started before I have to go to bed and wake up at 5am to go to wing chun tomorrow. My partner is working a late shift tonight, so I probably wont see him until tomorrow evening :(

How do other people do it?! Still trying to figure that one out.

Hey Eli, welcome in the assassin guild! Time is also behaving weirdly for me, I totally miss your thread earlier apparently >_> Don't forget to read and subscribe in the assassin announcement thread

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/36633-guild-information-and-announcements-subscribe/

and feel free to participate in the guild mini-challenges too! 

I'm so with you for the "How do other people do it" I feel like I barely have time to do all the things I need, I'm feeling overwhelmed all the time, often stressed out (hence why my challenge this time is about being stress-free). In my case, it may be a mix of lack of organization and too much procrastination but I'm really not sure what to do. If you find the answer, please tell me :D 

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Update: ok, so far I've been doing really well with everything! I've been walking to school everyday and practicing wing chun. I'm actually starting to improve a bit and my muscles are getting used to the wing chun stance and movements. I did take the bus to school and home on Friday because it was raining like crazy (70-ish mm or something insane like that?!) and super windy...just a disgusting day.

I also kept up with my school goals! However, my supervisor didnt get back to me with my draft corrections yet, so I'm kind of stuck at the moment. It's making me really nervous!

Still haven't figured out "How other people do it". I think my partner and I have to sit down and make a list of all the things we want to do. Then we have to narrow it down to just a couple things and figure out how we can do those things together (so we have more together time). I think part of the problem with our exhaustion might actually be from lack of proper sleep! We both dream A LOT! Which means were not hitting the REM sleep as much as we probably should. I'm thinking its our mattress? We don't have a box spring so it's a bit in even and not as firm as we'd like. Going to check some used listings for a cheap boxspring. That's my plan: list and boxspring :)

Thanks for the reply Nuala! Procrastination is such a huge issue...I do it too. The scheduling helps me though! I'll let you know if I figure out how other people do it :D

I have a problem with scheduling. I didn't managed to find the "sweet spot" yet. Not enough schedule and I forget to do important stuff, too much scheduling and I panic, blank out and do nothing. Yes, I'm that counter-productive >_> At least I know that my biggest problem is... internet but most of my work needs it! Dilemma! :D

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Hello and welcome! I love your idea of walking to school occasionally. That is a great way to maximize your time. I'm not a great scheduler but here are some things that work for me

Make priorities-then say no to the things that aren't priorities in your schedule

Us my life challenges for things on some of those lists-you could do a budget challenge or practicing an instrument challenge

Instead of watching TV when you are tired in the evenings do something creative like learning the instrument, or going on a walk with your partner. This is tough when you are tired,but I find if I start doing it and say I need to do this for at least x amount of time, it actually energized me more than sitting and watching a screen.

And go easy on yourself. You are super busy right now. When you have a job, most the time, when you go home in an evening you will be done with your job. Where now you have school and then homework. 

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Hello All!

Sorry I'm late on updating. I really only have Sundays available for this and I kind of missed it this week with other busy stuff...

I've been keeping to my schedule really well, I personally feel really great about it; however, I just met with my supervisor and he thinks I'm doing terribly which really makes me sad and confused. I asked him about it and he said he doesn't think I work hard enough and I spend too much of my time on non-school things! I really don't know what to think about that. As it is I don't have any time for non-school things (as you know from reading my previous posts). 

This brings me back to another "How do they do it?" moment... What do I do?! I thought I was being really productive during my school time. Apparently that's not enough? Do I have to start taking my school home with me? I don't know if I can do that; it might be physically possible, but I think it would be detrimental for my own sanity and personal life. What do you guys think?

Wing chun is still going really well! I've been taking time to practice in the mornings or in my office if I don't have a chance in the a.m. I find it to be really calming and helps centre me. We've also started applying the wing chun forms to fighting scenarios which is really cool!

I've crapped out on the walking to school thing a bit. There were a few days last week where I walked to and from school. This week I've been bussing it or getting picked up. Mostly this is a consequence of my supervisors comment; I suddenly feel as if a 40 minute walk is taking too much time away from school. So I've been opting for the 10 minute bus ride so that I start earlier and finish later every day.

Thanks for the replies before! I'm sorry I haven't had time to answer...it's been a crazy couple weeks...very emotional and frustrating. I'm powering through though!

That sounds so frustrating - just when things are starting to balance out you get those comments back :( Did the supervisor give you specific points about what you need to work on? If so, maybe focussing on those areas could help you find a way to work smarter on the things he thinks matters, rather than working longer hours. I hope it all works out <3

Going back to another issue: being tired on the sofa with your partner. o.m.g. That is me every day. We try to schedule in specific activities, even something really basic like going to the cinema near our apartment, or sitting in a coffee shop for an hour. That one hour is worth more than a whole evening sat in front of the TV not talking to each other.

Good luck finding your balance xx

Hey! So I fell of the map there... After my supervisors comments (actually, he yelled at me for half an hour),  I had a couple weeks of permanent student-dom! I pretty much stayed in my office for 14 hours each day and just worked like a crazy person! I don't even know what happened in that time anymore...its a blur. Somehow I lost two weeks worth of this challenge and as it turns out my supervisor still treats me like a turd, so my struggle was for nothing! I did get a lot done though, and I did learn a lot, but I don't think it was much more than what I normally do...it was really just more stressful and I basically didn't get to see my partner (because I'd come home and go immediately to bed).

My realization: My supervisor has unreal expectations of my time. He's never here anyway, so he really has no idea how hard I work or how long I spend at school each day. I think his assumption that I'm a terrible student is due to my lack of data output; I am working really hard, but I haven't been putting out data as fast as he'd like so it appears as though I'm doing nothing with my project. I have data, but I've been holding it back because I wasn't sure about it and wanted his feedback before I really put it out there...but he's been gone and completely unavailable so my data just sits here....sigh....vicious circle!!!

In conclusion (again), my supervisor has unreal expectations of my time when you take that expectation literally and apply it to my current schedule. Therefore, if I simply continue my current work schedule and just output data, he will be satisfied! I also realized that my supervisor is not the guiding type and is a bit of a bully (there's a whole story that accompanies that observation which involves the half-hour yelling session...) and I'm wasting my time waiting for his help and guidance and support. Now I can move on knowing that I'm 100% ON MY OWN with my project. 

With that said, I honestly don't remember what I did or didn't do for the last 2 weeks in terms of my challenge! I know that I missed 2 weeks worth of Wing Chun classes :( but I have no idea if I walked or bussed to school... I honestly don't remember getting to or leaving school...*zombie*

How much of the challenge is left?

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines