• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wildross

When we were weaker once, and young

Here's my numbers for my very first recorded workout in 2010 [i had worked out earlier but with no programming of any type]:

Bodyweight: 178 lbs, pudgy

Squat: 145 [there is no way I went below parallel on this]

Deadlift: 185 [no idea about form, almost certainly terrible bad]

BP: 115 [flared elbows, no touch]

Here's my maxes from 2012:

Bodyweight: 182, lean

Squat: 375 [full parallel, belt only]

Deadlift: 425 [belt and chalk only]

BP: 205 [1 second hold]

I just /barely/ broke 1000 total two years ago. I'd like to break 1200 by the end of this year, but I need to find a power rack somewhere.

I had to quit lifting in 2013 because of my work, but I have since quit that job and am back on the horse. 1200 here we come! I really want to bench 315 in two years time, so now I'm adding overhead presses into my regular 5/3/1 setup.

LOL nice.

Very impressive- your on a roll sister!!! so much further you can go too!!!- this journey is just starting- which is crazy considering how amazing it is so far!!!!

When I first started out, the first strength exercises I did were leg curls and extensions with resistance bands, and some wall sits. I couldn't even do a bodyweight squat (as in with no load whatsoever, using both my legs), and spent my first month or so working up to even being able to do one of them.

• Like 1

LOL nice.

Very impressive- your on a roll sister!!! so much further you can go too!!!- this journey is just starting- which is crazy considering how amazing it is so far!!!!

I know... it's like... I look back and I don't even recognize myself... 

I can't even think about what I am gonna be able to do in five more years :D

• Like 1

This thread is awesome, and is making me feel better.

Last night was my first self-run free weight workout (the time with my personal trainer was up, and i wasn't willing to shell out more cash for him being sub-par).  So, I'm all gung-ho on the academy.  I have a deep-seated fear of barbells due to a pretty serious injury in high school, so we'll see if i ever get up the nerve to face one again.  But patience... patience...

I'm not that advanced yet but just wanted to share my story! When I started working out for realsies in December 2012 I had an initial consultation with a trainer to set up a program and go through the basics. He taught me how to do a proper squat using the bar only and I thought it was the heaviest thing I'd ever lifted. A few days later I saw him again to go through the whole program and when we got to the squat rack he said "Ok, so what should we start at, 10 pounds?" and I said "What do you mean, you're actually going to ADD WEIGHT ON THAT THING?!"

Yesterday, had a session with the very same guy and I set a PR of 3x3 at 170# :) We reminisced about where I started and I just felt so proud. I know I still have a very long way to go but the weak little nerd in me who always got picked last in gym class cannot believe I pulled this off. I'm 5'2" and 135 pounds and although I have never really been overweight, I have never been in shape so looking back on my progress feels huge to me.

So don't give up people! It might take a while, I know I felt I was progressing slowly at times, but you can reach your goals!

Here's hoping that in a year I'll be even stronger!

• Like 6

I'm not that advanced yet but just wanted to share my story! When I started working out for realsies in December 2012 I had an initial consultation with a trainer to set up a program and go through the basics. He taught me how to do a proper squat using the bar only and I thought it was the heaviest thing I'd ever lifted. A few days later I saw him again to go through the whole program and when we got to the squat rack he said "Ok, so what should we start at, 10 pounds?" and I said "What do you mean, you're actually going to ADD WEIGHT ON THAT THING?!"

Yesterday, had a session with the very same guy and I set a PR of 3x3 at 170# :) We reminisced about where I started and I just felt so proud. I know I still have a very long way to go but the weak little nerd in me who always got picked last in gym class cannot believe I pulled this off. I'm 5'2" and 135 pounds and although I have never really been overweight, I have never been in shape so looking back on my progress feels huge to me.

So don't give up people! It might take a while, I know I felt I was progressing slowly at times, but you can reach your goals!

That's great!!

170 3x3 at 135 is awesome.

• Like 1

I just did the first night like that last night!  I'm doing SL 5x5 and i stared at the app when it said "GOOD JOB! now put ten pounds on the thing next time." i swear it added 'pussy' real quiet at the end there.

Upside: I really like it. Because i didn't realize you're literally working your whole body the entire time, just moving the plates and bars and stuff around, so that's good.

Here's my numbers for my very first recorded workout in 2010 [i had worked out earlier but with no programming of any type]:

Bodyweight: 178 lbs, pudgy

Squat: 145 [there is no way I went below parallel on this]

Deadlift: 185 [no idea about form, almost certainly terrible bad]

BP: 115 [flared elbows, no touch]

Here's my maxes from 2012:

Bodyweight: 182, lean

Squat: 375 [full parallel, belt only]

Deadlift: 425 [belt and chalk only]

BP: 205 [1 second hold]

I just /barely/ broke 1000 total two years ago. I'd like to break 1200 by the end of this year, but I need to find a power rack somewhere.

I had to quit lifting in 2013 because of my work, but I have since quit that job and am back on the horse. 1200 here we come! I really want to bench 315 in two years time, so now I'm adding overhead presses into my regular 5/3/1 setup.

This is so awesome. Just makes me want to go pick things up and put things down.

Posted using only my thumbs.

When I first started out, the first strength exercises I did were leg curls and extensions with resistance bands, and some wall sits. I couldn't even do a bodyweight squat (as in with no load whatsoever, using both my legs), and spent my first month or so working up to even being able to do one of them.

knowing what I know about you now.

This is an amazing post to show you what determination and persistence will do for you.   kudo's my friend. kudo's

Getting back into the forums after a bit of a haitus and caught this thread.

Order of the First: awesome nod to the book and movie.

of the Second: awesome thread and a GREAT way to help motivate the 'young' ones just starting their path or even at a frustrating part of their path.

of the Third: I am just starting my transition from body weight exercises (with a little weight) to more barbell work since I purchased a membership at the local rec center here and thankfully they have some good free-weight options. I am a wee-bit excited! I've done a lot of reading, studying form, etc and a bit of practice with little to no weight on the exercises, so it's time to stop hoarding the underpants and get to it.

Thanks for the thread!

:victorious:

I started strength training summer of 2013. Started pretty small with an 80-pound squat and 95-pound deadlift (as far as I know based on tracking). I could barely do a proper-form push-up. I went to the gym three times a week until school start, and then my workouts kinda went downhill from there. I plateaued at a 115-pound squat for the longest time. It's no wonder I was stuck there since I went to the gym about once every three weeks. I stopped tracking workouts.

Enter winter break, and I signed up for a gym membership. I rediscovered my passion for lifting heavy shit, and instantly made gains due to improved diet, more sleep, extra motivation, and the time to go to the gym every other day. If you look at my chart, I'm making gains almost at the pace that I made my beginner gains (with the occasional stall, of course, since these weights are considerably heavier than the ones I started with).

I was once a weakling who could barely do a push-up and always made fun of my toothpick arms. That is no longer the case. Looking back and putting my progress in graph form, I'm actually quite amazed at my growth. This thread makes me happy because I get to see a lot of people look back on their weak past selves and give themselves a pat on the back for getting so far. Knowing that everyone had to start somewhere, no matter how low it was, is great encouragement because I know I'm capable of getting even stronger and reaching my goals.

Summary of the gains:

August 2013:

Body weight: ~ 115 lbs, kinda pudgy and weak

Squat: 80 lbs

Deadlift: 95 lbs

Bench press: empty bar, what is stability

Confidence: shmeh

March 2014:

Body weight: ~ 117 lbs, but I'm fairly certain I've burned some fat since my thighs have been rebuilt with steel.

Squat: 160 lbs

Deadlift: 200 lbs

Bench press: 65 lbs, quite stable (okay I admit I haven't been working on my upper body quite as much as my legs)

Confidence: I am warrior woman fear my power

Chart of gains:

zl69u9.jpg

• Like 1

I have just a year under the bar, and have moved a lot faster than I thought I would.

Just about a year ago I blew my back out under a 135lb squat, then reinjured it on a 165lb sumo pull a couple weeks later. I ate my pride and started back at the beginning of Stronglifts, doing the occasional test of my maxes. I squatted two plates some time in mid July, and pulled three plates on July 31st. I just squatted three plates and pulled four a few weeks ago. I struggled at 90 pounds on the press for weeks with two deloads on SL and put 135 up for reps a few days ago.

I waved through Stronglifts and 5/3/1, going back to a 5x5 variant during a 3 months cut, and have settled on a block form of the conjugate method which I see myself sticking to for a very long time since it has no restrictions, just methods and principles to follow. What I've found is that everything makes you stronger in the beginning. The trick is finding what makes you the strongest.

I have my first meet planned for October and I am hoping to have a 5 plate pull, a 4 plate squat, and whatever I can scrape together for a bench. My bench is still a very sad 195.

• Like 3

Getting back into the forums after a bit of a haitus and caught this thread.

Order of the First: awesome nod to the book and movie.

of the Second: awesome thread and a GREAT way to help motivate the 'young' ones just starting their path or even at a frustrating part of their path.

of the Third: I am just starting my transition from body weight exercises (with a little weight) to more barbell work since I purchased a membership at the local rec center here and thankfully they have some good free-weight options. I am a wee-bit excited! I've done a lot of reading, studying form, etc and a bit of practice with little to no weight on the exercises, so it's time to stop hoarding the underpants and get to it.

Thanks for the thread!

:victorious:

Holy hell! Tom! You are alive! It warms my heart when long timers come back. Missed ya round these parts :) You still mountain biking?