When we were weaker once, and young

A year from now, 15 and 25kg won't even be used to start your warm up. It's going to be awesome when you quote this.

Well, today, I squatted and rowed 30kg. Which on the way home I realised is more than what I started my deadlift at! My bench will be equal to it come Monday, and my deadlift has doubled. There's some quick 'n' dirty stats for ya.

So yeah, I'm nowhere leaderboard status yet, but hell I'm making progress and I love it. And I swear I WILL be back in a year from my original post with an update.

• Like 2

I remember a few things from back in the day.

About 7 years ago I was doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women program. One of the stages involved front squats, which I had never done. I recall that I wasn't able to do even the empty 45 lb bar. I had to do it with one of the 20 lb preweighted bars. It felt like the most painful, awkward thing ever. Here's a photo of my all time front squat PR (150lb), this was 3 years ago. Most recent PR is 138lb, which is still over body weight.

medium.jpg

I also remember the first time I tried to overhead squat with a broomstick. This was probably 6 or 7 years ago. I literally couldn't do it without falling forward. I wondered how in the world do people do this with a barbell, and weights! A couple of weeks ago I set an ohs PR of 123lb, 10 pounds shy of body weight. Today I did 15 reps at 83 lb. No photos of that.

Here's a video from my second weightlifting meet 4 years ago, a snatch at 36kg. It's actually more of a power snatch and my elbows are a little soft. Looking back, I'm surprised I got white lights on this lift, I guess the judges were being lenient.

http://youtu.be/-nsy0q1SoWQ?list=UUV0JA7VcAzz2babadVxeW_w

Here's a video from 6 months ago, 40kg for an easy double and much less crappy looking. :)

https://www.coachseye.com/v/5niO

Whoa, hey gymell! Welcome back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm another one who has never replied, even thought I probably should have. I started lifting in March 2013 and started competing in February 2014.

Here's the oldest video of me lifting, deadlifting 40kg back in April 2013:

And my most recent competition in November 2014 (which I did at 48 hours notice, so no peaking programme and would probably have done more with notice):

Squatting 110kg (narrowly missing 120kg, which I've successfully done before), bench pressing 65kg and deadlifting 125kg.

• Like 5

From my second NF Challenge:

goal one - strength
i want to get stronger, so in order to do that, i need to lift heavier. since i'm still reasonably new to this, i'm going to stick with one basic exercise per group and sticking to 5lbs a week increase. and i completely reserve the right to update these goals in a week after i get a better feel for how much weight i can increase per week  :)

squats: 125lbs (current 105) note: i'd really like to get up to 135 on this one, but i'm not sure if that's reasonable.
deadlifts: 155lb (current 135)
overhead press: 65 (current 45)
dips: parallel bar dips - lets get strong enough to do these instead of using benches.
chinups: hanging from deadweight, real chins. pullups would be nice too, but lets focus on chinups this month.
bench press: 2 part goal - a) get over my fear of using a bar for this one.  B) i'm using 35lb dumbbells now, so lets try to get up to 45lb db's (so that's a total of 20lb gain overall)

:D

from recent - squats (265) deadlift (405) ohp (130) bench (180) dips (rings / muscleups) chinups - 5 sets of 6 the other day

so yeah. progress. but the point is - we allll start somewhere.  look at my above post - i was AFRAID OF BENCHING THE BAR.

• Like 6

I had no idea what I was doing went I started using the weight room semi-regularly in college. I think my bench was around 95# and my squat, maybe 135 or so? I do remember hitting 205 in the deadlift for the first time and getting so excited that one of my lifts was over 200# haha. I do wish I hadn't taken...6ish years off before I started weight training again. I obviously would've progressed a lot farther than I have. Still, I'm now at:

Squat: 345

Bench: 235

Deadlift: 445

I should also note that I often felt quite intimidated in the weight room because so many people around me were lifting heavier and I felt like they were secretly laughing at me. Now the only thing holding me back is gym staff telling me to stop dropping barbells from overhead.

• Like 2

I started strength training summer of 2013. Started pretty small with an 80-pound squat and 95-pound deadlift (as far as I know based on tracking). I could barely do a proper-form push-up. I went to the gym three times a week until school start, and then my workouts kinda went downhill from there. I plateaued at a 115-pound squat for the longest time. It's no wonder I was stuck there since I went to the gym about once every three weeks. I stopped tracking workouts.

Enter winter break, and I signed up for a gym membership. I rediscovered my passion for lifting heavy shit, and instantly made gains due to improved diet, more sleep, extra motivation, and the time to go to the gym every other day. If you look at my chart, I'm making gains almost at the pace that I made my beginner gains (with the occasional stall, of course, since these weights are considerably heavier than the ones I started with).

I was once a weakling who could barely do a push-up and always made fun of my toothpick arms. That is no longer the case. Looking back and putting my progress in graph form, I'm actually quite amazed at my growth. This thread makes me happy because I get to see a lot of people look back on their weak past selves and give themselves a pat on the back for getting so far. Knowing that everyone had to start somewhere, no matter how low it was, is great encouragement because I know I'm capable of getting even stronger and reaching my goals.

Summary of the gains:

August 2013:

Body weight: ~ 115 lbs, kinda pudgy and weak

Squat: 80 lbs

Deadlift: 95 lbs

Bench press: empty bar, what is stability

Confidence: shmeh

March 2014:

Body weight: ~ 117 lbs, but I'm fairly certain I've burned some fat since my thighs have been rebuilt with steel.

Squat: 160 lbs

Deadlift: 200 lbs

Bench press: 65 lbs, quite stable (okay I admit I haven't been working on my upper body quite as much as my legs)

Confidence: I am warrior woman fear my power

Chart of gains:

zl69u9.jpg

Wildross suggested I make a post here as encouragement, so I thought I'd do it (not so humble brag). I now warm up with those old numbers.

Over a year later, my numbers are now:

Body weight: 119 lbs

Squat: 225 lbs

Bench: 100 lbs (for two reps)

Deadlift: 275 lbs

About to smash those numbers at my meet this Saturday.

I don't know if my physique has changed much, but I suspect that my arms and legs are bigger (damn pants not fitting right).

Encouraging message: Always remember, you can start out as a weak ramen noodle, and with consistency and hard work, you can pick up heavy things, too!

• Like 2

Started lifting again a few months ago using SL, hadn't touched weights for about 9 years although I did plenty of bodyweight exercise while in the Army but that was 3 years ago.

Started at:

Bench/Squat/Deadlift/Row-135

OHP-115

Most recent weights:

Bench-205

Squat/DL-335

Row- 185

OHP-150

My squats and deadlifts were easy for the first month or so as I found my groove and my body started remembering what it was like to lift again.  My biggest problem with deadlift is grip strength, so far I've only used the overhand grip but if I want to keep adding weight I'm going to switch to the over/under grip.  For the next block of training I'm going to start integrating the olympic lifts in a big to generate more explosive power.

• Like 1

206312_10151030047301965_1277884693_n.jp

2009: 113-pound HIT Jedi / Wizard from Conan The Barbarian

Press: NA

Bench Press: 90 lbs.

Squat: 110 lbs.

Deadlift: 140 lbs.

2015: 137-pound agnostic

Press: 160 lbs.

Bench Press: 225 lbs.

Squat: 275 lbs.

Deadlift: 400 lbs.

I think I'm doing okay.

• Like 6

i had a burnout in winter 2011-2012. i simply snapped one day, quit my job and quit evening school and stopped training.

for bit over four months i woke up every morning in a small hangover and opened a sierra tequila bottle. i didn't eat much. pizza once a while but mostly i just drank booze and was really broken. after i woke up from my broken state my arm thickness was around 10 inches, i weighed 56 kilograms and i had quite a huge belly. i looked like a bum. i went to the gym and realised i was in quite weakened state.

my one rep maxes were

bench press 40 kg

squat 60 kg

deadlift 100 kg

now after three years of training i have smaller fat percentage while i weigh 80 kilograms

i bench press 125

squat 200

deadlift 210

there is always a way up. always.

• Like 1

I love this thread! As a noob, everything about this is awesome and inspiring.

I look forward to returning here in 6-12 months from now to update.

I started lifting 11/02/15 and that was my first time intentionally picking up heavy things.

Stronglifts Stats - 11/02/15

Bodyweight - 243lbs

BF% ~ 26%

Squat - 65lbs 5x5

Bench Press - 65lbs 5x5

Inverted Rows - 45lbs 5x5

Overhead Press - 45lbs 5x5

Deadlift - 95lbs 1x5

Stronglifts Stats - 01/14/15 (10 weeks in)

Bodyweight - 237lbs

BF% - 23%

Squat - 200lbs 5x5

Bench Press - 135lbs 5x5

Inverted Rows - 115lbs 5x5

Overhead Press - 85lbs 5x5

Deadlift - 175lbs 1x5

All the weights are starting to feel heavy and like real work but the only exercise I have failed and had to de-load on thus far (following the stronglift guidelines) is the Overhead Press. I committed to doing Stronglifts for a minimum for 12 weeks (with the program as written). I plan to go a little beyond that (until I at least hit my second fail & de-load cycle for each exercise to get a feel for where my 5x5 max is). Not sure what I will transition into after that.

Overhead Press is the bane of my existence! (I know other people have expressed that, but I am not happy with only being able to press 85lbs, ~36% bodyweight). But I love squats! (I am looking forward to hitting 2 plate squats and eventually body weight squats... and then onwards and upwards from there). I am also looking forward to trying out a lot of variants of these exercises once this program has run its course for me (front squats, overhead squats, maybe even build into trying out the Olympic lifts). And also once I get to that point, test out my 10, 5, 3, & 1 rep max for those.

For a long time I have had a weak back that has resulted in poor posture. In High School I was a wrestler & did hundreds of push ups a day and lots of other bodyweight arm exercises, but I never developed my back muscles. As a "new lifter" I am definitely feeling my back as my sticking point in everything I am trying to do. So working on slowly building up that strength. Fun story: the first time I squat 135lbs 5x5, I thought it was heavy and I could barely make it. Yesterday, I used 135 for my warm-up and cool-down sets, and when I picked up the 135 for my cool-down I giggled out loud in the gym because of how light it felt after struggling through my 5x5 at 200. I am looking forward to the day when my current weight makes me giggle.

I will return here later in 2016 and update. Until then, stay lifty my friends!

• Like 1

I love this thread! As a noob, everything about this is awesome and inspiring.

I look forward to returning here in 6-12 months from now to update.

I started lifting 11/02/15 and that was my first time intentionally picking up heavy things.

Stronglifts Stats - 11/02/15

Bodyweight - 243lbs

BF% ~ 26%

Squat - 65lbs 5x5

Bench Press - 65lbs 5x5

Inverted Rows - 45lbs 5x5

Overhead Press - 45lbs 5x5

Deadlift - 95lbs 1x5

Stronglifts Stats - 01/14/15 (10 weeks in)

Bodyweight - 237lbs

BF% - 23%

Squat - 200lbs 5x5

Bench Press - 135lbs 5x5

Inverted Rows - 115lbs 5x5

Overhead Press - 85lbs 5x5

Deadlift - 175lbs 1x5

All the weights are starting to feel heavy and like real work but the only exercise I have failed and had to de-load on thus far (following the stronglift guidelines) is the Overhead Press. I committed to doing Stronglifts for a minimum for 12 weeks (with the program as written). I plan to go a little beyond that (until I at least hit my second fail & de-load cycle for each exercise to get a feel for where my 5x5 max is). Not sure what I will transition into after that.

Overhead Press is the bane of my existence! (I know other people have expressed that, but I am not happy with only being able to press 85lbs, ~36% bodyweight). But I love squats! (I am looking forward to hitting 2 plate squats and eventually body weight squats... and then onwards and upwards from there). I am also looking forward to trying out a lot of variants of these exercises once this program has run its course for me (front squats, overhead squats, maybe even build into trying out the Olympic lifts). And also once I get to that point, test out my 10, 5, 3, & 1 rep max for those.

For a long time I have had a weak back that has resulted in poor posture. In High School I was a wrestler & did hundreds of push ups a day and lots of other bodyweight arm exercises, but I never developed my back muscles. As a "new lifter" I am definitely feeling my back as my sticking point in everything I am trying to do. So working on slowly building up that strength. Fun story: the first time I squat 135lbs 5x5, I thought it was heavy and I could barely make it. Yesterday, I used 135 for my warm-up and cool-down sets, and when I picked up the 135 for my cool-down I giggled out loud in the gym because of how light it felt after struggling through my 5x5 at 200. I am looking forward to the day when my current weight makes me giggle.

I will return here later in 2016 and update. Until then, stay lifty my friends!

Way to go, Archon! You are very quickly becoming a beast. Olympic lifting can be amazing, just make sure you have someone to help you with form.

Started back in May 2015, searching for a resolution to my BP issues is what brought me here, anyway this is how it has progressed:

DL: 40kg (88lbs)

BP: 30kg (66lbs)

OHP: 22.5kg (49.5lbs)

Squat: 50kg (110lbs)

Things have changed around a little a few times for one reason or another but today it was:

DL:102.5kg (225lbs)

BP: 55kg (121lbs)

OHP: 42.5kg (93.5)

Squat: 100kg (220lbs)*

*I stopped squatting heavy right at the end of August which is when I hit 220lbs - the reason was I wanted to focus more on exercises to help with skiing than lifting weight. I've started back with the squats 3 weeks ago and dropped them right down to 60kgs and started doing 5x5 style increments again.