(re) Introductions- And questions on paleo "staples" shopping list

If you pick back up an account that you really haven't touched since 2010 does that qualify as requiring a re-introduction? I'm going to say probably yes. 

Hi, everybody, I'm Dawson. And my profile picture is a recent picture of me for the first time in....well, a year or so. 

About a year ago I tweaked something in my back at the gym, broke up with a girlfriend of two years (an unhealthy relationship it was probably a good thing to end), and found myself completely falling out of what had been a healthy lifestyle. Normally, these days, I use an old photo for profile pictures, but on here I've decided it's time to use one of the rare ones taken in the last year. Because if I'm ashamed to show my face on a profile picture, then how on earth could I be comfortable living in this body all the time out in the real world?

In the last year, I've gained about 40 lbs. It is my goal, this year, to lose it all. Or at least to reduce my body fat enough to feel like I have. It's not just about the weight loss. It's about how I feel. It's about how AWFUL I feel all the time. So more than weight, or a number on a scale I'm looking to fit back into clothes that make me feel comfortable again, to not wince bending over to tie my shoes (i.e. figuring out how to fix my back issues) and getting rid of the nagging cough that's been waking me up in the mornings. 

To that end I've already achieved one goal: I quit smoking. That was about a month ago and still going strong. Next up: cleaning up my eating. I did a big kitchen clear out two weekends ago and restocked with mostly paleo stuff (I have yet to give up my tablespoon of milk in my coffee in the morning or cheese...I love cheese). So far, that's been working well, but I'm up for shopping again in a couple days and aiming to strong in my buying habits. 

Can anyone recommend a good "Staples for paleo" shopping list? I often find myself at a lost as to things to make and when I look up recipes too often I'm finding I don't have what's called for. Any suggestions?

So that's me. I'm also an avid scifi fan, a cosplayer (part of what's motivating my healthful revamp), and the founder of a geeky website. I love geek things from start to finish from Lord of the Rings to Star Wars, computers to comic books, tabletop RPGs to awesome PS3 marathons and have for as long as I can remember. I'm hoping to tackle this lifestyle revamp with as much passion as I bring to my fandoms.

Good to meet you all, looking forward to getting to know folks better. 

- Dawson

Welcome back, Dawson! First, let me just say congratulations for taking control of your situation and moving forward in a positive direction. That takes guts. If you haven't already, may I suggest taking a look at  the Paleo/Primal subforum under General Diet and Nutrition? The folks over there tend to have a pretty good handle on things. Best of luck to you in the coming days and, again, welcome back.

"The Iron never lies to you." -Henry Rollins

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's sort of harder in some ways, starting out again, since I'm coming off a bit of a sense of failure, but honestly my dad always said if you fail but keep going, then it's not failure, you're just not done yet. :)

And I haven't been over there but I'll definitely head on over to the paleo/primal area and check it out.

Thanks!