Workout plan with joint issues

Hello all. Generally I have a pretty good grasp on fitness, but my health problems make things more challenging than I prefer. Since moving across the country, I've been off my routine for a while now which was following the c25k running plan and doing a core routine. So I'm working on getting back into it. The trouble I have is largely with my knees. I can't do squats or lunges or even sprints. The problem thankfully is in my tendons and not in the joint itself, but still the pain prevents me doing some of the most basic exercises. Does anyone have any recomendations for alternatives I could incorporate?

I came to this forum to post something very similar so I hope there are some replies soon.  My knees are a mess so there are no squats, lunges, running, sprinting, jogging or anything else high-impact.  It's painful for me to walk up or down the one flight of stairs at home so... I don't need to make that worse! 

"Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay... small acts of kindness and love."

I used to LOVE the elliptical.  I'd happily spend 45 minutes on one.  Then I hurt my knee and was out of commission for a while.  The doctor says I can do it but the last time I spent  minutes on it, I had excruciating pain in my lower back for over a week.  So... I haz trepidation.  Maybe it'll get better when I lose more weight.

Getting old bites the big one.

"Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay... small acts of kindness and love."

Typical Disclaimer: WE AIN'T DOCTORS :)

stationary bike is much better than elliptical if you want to do the cardio thang, there's too much going on with the elliptical to ensure stability

Kelly Starrett from Mobility Wod is renowned for his beasty knowledge skills take a look here

in my own experience with slight knee pain i massaged the hell out of my 'vastus medialis' (with the thin part of a baseball bat) and carried on squatting and it eventually went away, i was just tight.

my dad's currently got knee problems and his physio is getting him to do a pit of light stationary biking, light leg extensions (don't do full ROM, i can't remeber the exact reasoning for this though) and light leg-press, so keep things light, get blood flowing around it and don't strain things too much, time, rest and blood heals... so does a good massage

250px-Illu_lower_extremity_muscles.jpg

right leg view from the front