Thai Red Curry

Vian

Made this tonight, there's a ton of ways it can be changed up to suit just about anybody's diet. Paleo? Leave out the rice or noodles, Vegetarian? Use tofu instead of meat and leave out the fish sauce.

1 lb. protein (I used ground beef because it's what I had, steak, chicken, shrimp, or even extra firm tofu would all be great with this.)

1-2 tbs. coconut oil

1 bunch scallions, chopped into 1" pieces

1.5 -2 tbs. red curry paste (I found some at the asian grocery that's 1000 times better than the "thai kitchen" stuff they sell everywhere. It came in a can, and doesn't have any crap in it, sooooo flavorful!)

veggies! You can use whatever kind of veggies you want. I used carrots and baby bok choy because it's what I had, but bell peppers, green beans, water chestnuts, and/or broccoli would all be great as well.

1 large can coconut milk (mine was 19 ounces)

2 tbs. red boat fish sauce

3-4 sprigs fresh thai basil (italian basil works too if you can't find the thai variety)

Cut steak, chicken, or tofu into bite sized pieces or peel and devein shrimp, whatever you are using for your protein. Chop veggies into uniform bite-sized pieces. Cut hard veggies like carrots into thin slices and keep seperate from softer, leafy veggies like bok choy. Melt coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season protein with salt and brown in the hot pan. Add onions and harder veggies like carrots. Add curry paste and sautee until the paste becomes aromatic and the veggies start to soften. Add coconut milk, fish sauce, and basil and medium-hard veggies like broccoli, green beans, and water chestnuts. Simmer a few minutes, then add leafy veggies like bok choy. Simmer another few minutes until the bok choy and other veggies are tender, but still firm. Serve over rice or noodles if desired.

DSCN2462_zps471e2184.jpg

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald