Approaching Thick Darkness

US_Navy_SEALs_insignia.png

Approaching
Thick
Darkness

"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"

Who Am I

My nickname here is King (22). I love RPG (I stopped playing for a long time. More on this later); Sports; Extreme Sports (But I haven't done dangerous things for years now); I love watching playthroughs (SSHOPKC MLG!); But mostly I feel very connected to the arts of war (the ideologies behind them, the philosophy of combat, modern battles, etc.); I also like hiking, camping, and I understand issues related to survival (field knives, firestarting, and other primitive skills).

I work as a soldier in the army headquarters, I do not have much time even though I'm coming back home almost every day.

I'm intelligent, not so sporty (in recent years), tall (1.86), thin (70kg), and slightly clumsy. I was diagnosed with autism (Asperger's syndrome), but the diagnosis could be wrong, and I should check it out. My girlfriend and I broke up a week ago (we were together for 4 months: a fact which slightly undermines any previous conclusions about my social skills). I suffer from asthma (both the exercise-induced type and the "regular" one), not something that endangers my life, but prevents me from fulfilling my desires.

My Goals

I came here because I want to change. I want to be an infantry soldier. And I want to be a good combat soldier. I want to do what I'm talking about all the time, meet the goals and objectives that I set for myself, and engage in extreme sports and parkour (not just being nostalgic for the past). I want to learn martial arts seriously, with all the background behind them, and become a professional fighter and prudent.

further more I want to harden my morals and to be a person less vulnerable to those around him, who can demonstrate his indifference to the environment, and at the same time being able to buy the attention of his listeners. I think the way to my goals requires me to strength my faith in God, so I'm going to do so through study and focus. I want to be an independent and stronger than I am now.

My Time Limit

I need to finish this job 'til May 2016.

Achieving My Goals

(1) I'm going to get back in shape, focus on running and body weight exercising. There are only two things that bother me (calves and shoulders) and I'm going to inflate them with weights, just for looking good.

(2) I'm going to go back to the martial arts business. I want to start Kung-Fu from the beginning, study it thoroughly and spare more time to improve myself. Then (if God help me), I'll try to learn other arts to develop more aggressiveness along with the discretion required by a professional fighter.

(3) I'm going to learn Parkour. I used to do a few simple tricks, but now I want to become a professional runner, who knows how to do wall-runs, cat-leaps and vaults easily. I want to develop a better internal balance and a lot of endurance.

(4) I'm going to fight asthma with a very strict diet, that slowly becomes the full AP (the full autoimmune-protocol paleo diet). Diet already showing results but they're not enough. I went down from 3-2 doses to 0-1 a day. That's a significant change, and I want to leverage it. I'll also use homeopathy and chinese medicine.

(5) I'll find out how to change my job in the army, which authorizations I have to accept, which tests must be performed, and so on, and I'll stand in all of them.

(6) I want to start traveling more professionally, with a minimum of equipment and focus on developing my primitive skills ("A knife & lighter" style). I want to learn rappelling and issue a driver's license to travel alone to remote places.

(7) Morally, I want to become more durable. I'm going to learn faith in God. If there is a way to do it, I'll find it inside of me.

The Challenges In The Way

(-a-) I'm asthmatic, and this is a serious problem that stands in the way of someone who wants to be a professional combat soldier in a large modern army. I have to overcome my as asthma, to test it (or even to cheat some levels), and somehow to "slip" into the ranks of the infantry.

(-b-) I feel I'm not determined enough, not holding my decisions all the way. I want to change it.

(-c-) I have to fight the autism diagnosis. In addition, I have to bring my commanders recommendation's regarding recent events in my performance. As if that wasn't enough - I have to really ask myself if I have enough to get in a tough team of such people.

Other Posts By Me

Infantry

Interesting Things I Want To Accomplish

• Wall-Run
  • Car License
  • 10K Run

And behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

First Update

Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I went to the gym [and I know you guys say we all should train naturally, but I've needed this. I've needed someone to tell me what to do, doesn't matter if it's isn't exactly what I want]. I ran 20 minuted on the treadmill, and then I did this basic program [3 sets each time]:

•  12*3 - Pull Down 50 lbs
  •  12*3 - Leg Press 50 lbs
  •  12*3 - Chest Press 30 lbs
  •  12*3 - Overhead Press 50 lbs
  •  12*3 - Fly. Delt 50 lbs

That's all for today.

And behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

2nd

Last day, the role-playing community I've been a member of for 7 years, blocked my account forever. I asked for it. I'm ADDICTED to DnD, RPG etc. It's one thing to play and enjoy something, but it's quite another thing to get addicted to it and let it destroy anything else! I love RPG, I swear I do. But it made *me* lifeless [i had no life before, but it doesn't matter]. I couldn't concentrate at anything other than elves and dwarves... There were several times I "broke free" from the prison of RPG, cause I had other things like work or exams - But every time I had little time for myself, I was "sucked" into it again.

Finally, I can say I'm truly playing the game of life: I'm level 0. Life isn't fair, but the thing is that IF YOU LIVE YOUR LIFE, THAN YOU HAVE A LIFE.

Have a good day.

3rd

Been busy for a couple of days. Got a new marine-style haircut. Yesterday I went again to the gym, and here's my plan for the next two weeks [with the correct names & numbers]:

•  Treadmill 20 min.
  •  12*3 - Leg Press 50 lbs

I took a Challenge on myself: pass the driving theory exam in 6 weeks. Studied yesterday for several hours.

DAMMIT

4th

Went to the gym today, same routine

•  Treadmill 20 min.
  •  12*3 - Leg Press 50 + 5 lbs

Didn't study much yesterday, I hope to narrow the gaps today.

5th

'Till Friday

Nothing. Still banned from the community, that for years I used to call my "home". This is progress! I've got my knife, at last [pics later!]. This is progress!

Friday

I went again to the gym, same routine. I ran a bit faster [12.5 mps instead of 12]. Spent the weekend at a friend's house.

Saturday

Slept all day: nothing. Nothing at all.

Sunday

Gym + studied 1 hour for the exam.

Today

I don't know. I guess I'll just study more.

Problems

1. I still need to finish mission 3, "start tracking my workouts". I didn't do that. I plan to document my attempts on an Excel file.

2. I need to find a good profile picture for me facebook. A real picture of me, not a picture of some imagined dragon.

That's all for today.

6th

Monday

Didn't do much. Matter of fact I slept till noon.

Tuesday

Went to see my psychologist [i'm still an autistic, DAMMIT :moody: ], then to the gym. I meet with this guy for something like 7 months. I suppose it helps.

Wednesday

The same do-nothing-and-sleep-all-day.

Today

Gym. Finished the basic training program my trainer gave me four weeks ago. Next time, I'll start a new exercise program.

My routine on gym this week was:

• Treadmill 20 min
    • 5 min' walking [4.5 mps]
    • 5 min' running [12.5 mps]
    • walking again for 5 minutes [5.5 mps]
    • running again for 3 min' [12.5 mps]
    • walking for 2 min' [5.5 mps].
      • A total distance of 2.8± Km.
  •  12*3 - Leg Press 70 lbs
  •  12*3 - Chest Press 50 lbs
  •  12*3 - Overhead Press 30 lbs

That's it, boys and girls. Gym scheduled on Sunday.

1st

Yesterday, I've started with my new training program. It's far more complicated and more hardcore than before. The trainer asked me about my goals. I said "cardio". He nodded... and went to write me a twisted program with no running prog. at all. "There's no thing like cardio-only program"...  :redface:  I'm feeling stupid. Next time he'll be at the gym, I'll talk to him again.

ANYHOW, I came home half dead, literally. Shower, talk with friends, then sleep.

More information next time! I need someone who can translate my training program to english. It's far too complicated for me now.

Hello boys and girls!

Really, there's a lot to update - but fortunately, I'm busy with my exercise routine, pushing even harder, not touching the DAMMED INTERNET. I'm doing STUFF.

Still no progress tracking. Can't get my genius friend to help me with the Excel charts.

Last day I've done the impossible (for me, at least, its seemed to be impossible).

I've completed my first challenge, and ran 2000 meters without mid-run breaks. This is incredible.

I really want to explain WTF is going with me, but I can't translate my training program to english. I don't know the exact words... Does someone here understands hebrew?

Last day I've done the impossible (for me, at least, its seemed to be impossible).

I've completed my first challenge, and ran 2000 meters without mid-run breaks. This is incredible.

I really want to explain WTF is going with me, but I can't translate my training program to english. I don't know the exact words... Does someone here understands hebrew?

Congrats on reaching your goal! Hope you feel a great sense of accomplishment :)

If it's important, you'll find a way. If it isn't, you'll find an excuse.
Don't sacrifice what you really want, for what you want right now.

I resolve to not die with my dreams still inside me

Thanks, Lyric Acantha!

It's been a month since I last went to the gym; there's a couple of reasons for that [partically because of a BIG snowstorm, and a new job at a local resturant. I find it hard to cope with stress being applied to the ordinary person. This is also why I progress so slowly...]. Appearantly I need a new goal, and that's why I stopped training :neglected:

I'll try to ask here for ideas [at the runner's forum].

Cheers.

I don't understand Hebrew (not even slightly) but I would be more than willing to help out, as I'm fairly fluent in the English language I might be able to help you through it by having you attempt to translate it and me seeing if it makes sense and tell you what might be more correct than not. Let me know if interested :)

Apart from that I also want to say that I'm very impressed and rather proud of you! I grew up with my sister who has ADHD and autism, so I'm rather closely involved in the troubles that can come from that. And reading this progress of yours and following this, shows me that you (most likely) have made not only tremendous progress physically but also mentally in conquering this problem of yours. I wish you the absolute best of luck on reaching the rest of your goals. Stay strong and keep going, you can do it :D

Chubby Half Elf - Adventurer

Level 0

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Challenge 1 | 2 | 3

Shhh, you. I'm all flattered now :redface:

ANYHOW, I've been busy with my job for god-knows how many days... I DID read your post, but didn't have much time to respond :moody: 

As I explained previously, my problem is dealing with problems, no matter what are they: for example, 'til few months ago I was afraid of playing first person shooters, because you can't see what's going on behind you... JEEZ with it! I'm a big boy now!

It takes me more time than a normal person to organize my thoughts. I promise to write down my training program ASAP.

But at least now I know something I didn't knew before: I know what I want to do with my life.

I know who I am.

Thanks & Cheers

In order to reach my goal and become an infantry soldier, I need to raise my Military Profile. Problem is, I have asthma, and it prevents me from raising my MP.

So, how do I overcome this terrible disease?

I can't. At least I thought so. As a matter of fact, if I'll manage to maintain a special diet AND improve my cardio a lot more than now - I can do that. The autism problem has proved to be less significant than I thought it was. My main concern is still about my asthma. It's UBER difficult to win - but I'll give everything to become a real soldier.

Any updates?

yup. v'been to a neurologist. He said my ADHD isn't significant at all. ADHD problem is ruled out now. More news next time I sign here.

That's all for today.

I swore to document my progression. UPDATES!

1. I started with the hard version of the paleolithic diet (not because I love it. I hate it!). People around the world claim that it cured them from the disease, including experts and so. In time (I'm moving slowly on this one) I'll cut out all grains, legumes, diary, and processed foods along with sugar. It means I'll just live on salad and meat, but I'll do everything to achieve my goal. E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G.

2. In 8, May, I join the army for one year. It's not going to be a combative service at all (didn't raise profile yet), and after that I'm supposed to be going to college. No sir, I'm going to cure my asthma in one year. I'm going all the way to serve as a combat soldier. It's only me and god now. And I'll do my best.

3. Passed the first driving exams! Now I'm taking driving lessons. one more goal left (10 pullups).

4. I really want to get into an exercising routine, but with the army now, I don't know if it'll be possible. It'll take time.

I'm working hard these days... 'Ve got a serious job in the army. For a month or so I stopped my diet because I was at a millitary base. Now I'm back - and I also passed the 10 pullups barrier. It was hard as hell.

I need to do 3 things: pack some pounds, overcome asthma by strict diet and start long-term running.

My 3 new wishes:

4th Get a driving license

5th Run 4K outdoors

6th Be able to do 'Wall Run'

Wish me well

King

(1) Combat Capacity

Running

My running format (format adapted for military tests) is running at an easy pace 2X, 4X running at a medium rate, and X Sprint - and back again. This equation can be placed in any number you want (for example 100m easy pace, 200m running medium and 50m sprint. Could be done by counting the number of street lighting columns. I can change the balance between parts and run X at an easy pace, 8X medium and 3X sprint, and so on).

Next month, I want to start a running program for 21 km, a big race planned for another 170 days. I signed up for the 10km route, but still will practice more - because I want to be a very good long-term runner.

Body Weight Exercises

At a time when I run I try to do less body weight exercises.
Every day I do leglifts.

In days when I do not run I do squats, pushups of three different types (wide:shoulder:diamond), pullups (guided by the twentypullupchallenge), and static abdominal.
The principle is a minute of rest between sets and four minutes between exercises.

Weights

I do two types of weights - side lateral raises and work on biceps.

The principle is a minute of rest between sets and four minutes between exercises.

Medical Perspective

I need to consult a sports physician, and pulmonary expert on the subject.

I believe it's called Southern Shaolin (quan). It's more for the short movements and strikes. I'm coming from MMA and Krav-Maga, which are very aggressive fighting styles, so I wanted to study a more traditional and self-controlled martial art, with a real background and philosophy behind it. I seek the inner peace of a true warrior, not only his wrath.

(2) Arts Of War

Kung Fu

I start in with basic southern shaolin. South-school advocates with short motion and stability. This is a very tiring fighting style to work with and students needs to get used to it.

As I understand it, the southern shaolin is a lethal and effective fighting style.

Chi Kung

Since asthmatics are known by their damaged respiratory system, I would like to learn how to breathe correctly, how to calm myself through Qigong and deep seated. I might be able to reduce the intensity of my asthma attacks by more proper breathing.

Meditation

I'm a pretty nervous person and I want to learn to relax while on the move, and concentrate more on my goals. I want to learn to meditate so I can finally get into the peace while on the move. My dream is to meditate while running. I am currently in need of basic methods, but it's the dream.

Alexander Technique

Proper posture is the key to proper movement, and so I would like to learn the Alexander Technique, which speaks of the body's proper posture. This is a known method that solves different problems that arise following a chronic bending of the spine (due to poor posture).

Krav Maga

A system designed to develop aggressiveness and effectiveness in combat, Krav Maga is a system that I started with years ago but I left it once I realized I lacked the necessary basic discipline of a true fighter. If god would grant me the permission to be a combat soldier, I'll return to the Krav-Maga someday.

Philosophy

I am sure that behind every fighting system there's a concept that guides the warrior within. I really want to study these ideas and then choose between them and decide later which philosophy is for me. I have an idea of what the true warrior, and I want to establish it by a thorough study.