Question:

If you run 4 days a week, what days do you run? If you lift, how do you fit that in with your running?

Some background: I've been a runner for 10 years, but I always 'Gallow-walked' - running for 2 or 3 minutes and then walking for a minute. I finished 2 half-marathons that way but felt like I wasn't a 'real' runner. This January I made it my goal to be able to run a mile without stopping.

Now I can do that. I've been consistenly running 3 times a week all year. If I'm eating right and having a good day I can run 45 minutes without stopping. On bad days I can still do 10 minutes before I need a walk break. My speed has improved slighlty (to a 13.5 minute mile).

I'd like to add a fourth day to increase my speed and endurance but I don't know how to fit 4 days of running into my week while still giving myself time off between runs. (Running 3 days in a row left me badly injured so I'm really hesitant to give up rest days.)

I am switching from running after I lift to running on the days I don't lift. An option for you is to do different types of runs: so one day run as far as you can (run/walk is fine), one day go for speed so do some intervals at a faster pace, one day do some hill sprints. Basically, mix it up, that should help with the repetitive injuries and keep it interesting for you.

MWF are lift and run days... usually lift first, then go run.  Trying to run THEN lift doesn't seem to work out very well for me.

T is BodyPump.  TR is Cycling.

Sat/Sun is a long run.

I try to get my long run in on Sunday, then Monday is an easy recovery run.  If I run Friday night, then try to get my long run in on Saturday morning, my long run doesn't go very well... so if I know I'm not going to be able to run Sunday and have to run Saturday, sometimes I skip Friday in favor of the long run, or just do a really short easy run.

I'm in a similar boat, trying to shift from Galloway-walking (5-6 mins on, 1 off) to running straight through.  I also find I tend to hurt myself if I run too many days in a row, so instead I:

1. Run 3 days a week.  One of those is a long run (8-12 miles), and I do my walking intervals to get through it.  I've also been cutting my walk interval back gradually. The others are shorter (3-5 miles), and I aim not to walk during those (unless I'm doing hills or sprints). 

2. Strength train 2 days a week.  A short, 20-30 minute bodyweight workout, with focus on the running muscles (single leg squats, lateral leg lifts, pushups and rows for the arms and back), has done wonders for me.  Added strength has led to faster times and added endurance as well.  I'll usually warm up with a half or three-quarters mile run.

3.  Doing something different.  I love running (obviously!), but it's nice to mix it up and do something else once a week -- preferably something that helps keep my cardio endurance up, but also uses slightly different muscles.  I've found that cycling and swimming work best for me.

Level 4 City Elf Scout

STR: 6 |  DEX: 5  |  STA: 9  |  CON: 8  |  WIS: 6  |  CHA: 6

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

I'm in a similar boat, trying to shift from Galloway-walking (5-6 mins on, 1 off) to running straight through. 

The couch to 5K program and Consistency (capital C intentional) was what helped me. I'd run for years, but never made a point of running three days a week without fail for months at a time.

So what days of the week do you run vs. strength train? I'm seeing 6 or 7 days a week, does than mean no rest day?

So what days of the week do you run vs. strength train? I'm seeing 6 or 7 days a week, does than mean no rest day?

The days of the week really depend on what my work schedule looks like. It's not very reliable (or consistent!) and I often end up working late nights on random days, so I try to keep some flexibility.  My ideal week looks like this:

Mon: Run ~3 miles

Tues: Strength

Weds: Rest

Thurs: Run ~5 miles

Fri: Strength

Sat: Long Run

Sun: Swim/Bike/Hike/Something Else

I'll vary the days if work gets crazy or if I have weekend commitments, sometimes running and doing strength work on the same day during the week (though I find it easiest to do strength work after running, and never in conjunction with a long run).  I try to get some active recovery in there about 5 days a week (whether 20 mins of yoga or stretching or foam rolling), and that helps a lot, too.  

The couch to 5K program and Consistency (capital C intentional) was what helped me. I'd run for years, but never made a point of running three days a week without fail for months at a time.

C25K got me off the couch!  I do tend to run straight through for 3-4 miles or less. But I did my first half at Disney World, and some friends hooked me on the Galloway program while training for that, and I've never moved on to flat-out running the 13.1 distance.

Level 4 City Elf Scout

STR: 6 |  DEX: 5  |  STA: 9  |  CON: 8  |  WIS: 6  |  CHA: 6

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

I run 2 days a week (about 4.5 - 5.0 km per day) on Tue/Thu, between weight training days on Mon/Wed/Fri.

My plan is to eventually run 3 days a week, but for now I want to master being consistent at exercising in one form or another for at least 5 days a week.

Level 6 Lycan Ranger                                                                                                   
STR 16 | DEX 3 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 9 | CHA 2 
Challenge the 6th: Irishrages prepares for the BAMF plane of existence
Irishrages' epic: Chapter 1 2 3 4 5
Preparation * Focus * Discipline

30%
30%

I'm awful at patterning my runs. When I first started I FORCED myself to go every single day (sunday being my only rest day). I would alternate long, slow runs one day with short, fast runs the next, but in all honesty, when I was doing this I was in awful shape so it was mostly just walking anyway.

Now that I've gotten good at running I don't have a schedule at all, I run when I want to run, which usually ends up being about 4 times a week give or take. It's a self-regulating system I've found, if I go too many days in a row without a run I start to feel like crap, I start CRAVING that run. If I go too hard, my muscles will force me to take a day off.

It's the strength training that I have to force myself to do, and I'll be honest, I suck at that. I'm still trying to find a way to incorporate strength training into my life, I'll get back to you when I get it sorted though.

I lift/gym most of the time and squeeze in a 5k 1 or 2 times a week.  I found my running improved dramatically when I started lifting heavy (I went from ~44 to 30 minutes per 5k without doing any actual running other than sprints 1/week).

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

I try to run twice during the week: one morning and one evening (3-4 miles), plus once on the weekend ("long" run: 5-6 miles).  Only having to give up one morning + one evening during the week is a very manageable time commitment.  This amounts to about 12-13 miles per week.  For me this is the sweet spot where my body has enough time to recover between runs, and I'm not dealing with nagging injuries.  I guess I'm lucky that this low mileage is enough for me to keep improving.  I've been told that you need to do speed work and run at least 4 times per week to improve, but for me that hasn't been true (yet).  I've gone from running 12 minute miles to 9 minute miles in a few months. I also strength train twice/week, which I think helps. I don't run on the days I lift, so a typical week will look like:

M - lift

T- run

W -lift

T- run

F- off

S- long run

S - off