World's Greatest Math Teachers Quest

My name is James and I am on a quest.  I just found this website and I am in love!  I am a nerd (math) and proud of it.  I teach gifted kids, (also nerds).  I began my journey back on May 13, and to date I have lost 66 lb.  I did not take a lot of measurements at the time, but because of one of the articles I read on here, I am going to start tomorrow morning.  My ultimate goal is to lose about 78 more lbs., I am at 248 now, and/or get my body fat down to single digits.  It is an estimated 36.5% right now.  I am on the ketosis diet right now, but am planning on doing the paleo diet when I run out of my low carb, high fiber bread.  I am mostly eating the same stuff now, but I plan on cutting more off the carbs.  I am already way low sugar.  I train on the elliptical three days a week using HIIT, and I lift heavy two days a week.  I usually play disc golf on Saturday and hang out with my family on Sunday.  I welcome any encouragement I can get and am happy to do th same.  Good luck to all of you on your journeys!

By the way, this article is the bomb!  I found it right when I needed it.  https://exchange.baldwin.k12.ga.us/owa/redir.aspx?C=RSFFdMpnnEuDYa0zZmKBsznE0d5ukdAIX8VYhLtyHKyXI2Fq8MRvFXXosuoNDtpJwe_7U_NOpDk.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.nerdfitness.com%2fblog%2f2010%2f10%2f07%2f3-reasons-to-reconsider-stepping-on-the-scale-this-morning%2f

Another newbie here - great goals, and it sounds like an awesome workout.  Keep up the great work!

Sperocras

I am many things, including: a Nerdfighter, a Beatlemaniac, a Whovian, a Potterhead, a Trekkie/er, a Buffista, a Gatehead, a Browncoat, a reader, a gardener, an aspie, and apparently also:

Level 0 Half-Elf: Str 0 Dex 0 Sta 0 Con 0 Wis 0 Cha 0

Weight lost since Jan 3, 2013: 104.9 lbs

Half-way-to-goal mark (92.5 lbs) reached! August 25, 2013

Yesterday's workout was tough.  I was pumped to lift, but for some reason I was weak.  I had planned to move up to 70 lb. dumbells on the bench press, but didn't have it.  Then I only got 8 reps on the first set of 65 lbs.  And it went like that the whole workout.  I warmed up for 5 min. on the elliptical before I started, forgot my vitamins yesterday, but drank my amino acids before I lifted.  Not sure what was up.  Still feel good, so I guess I will just chalk it up to an off day.  HIITing today!

After I did 22 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical (10 sprints), I decided to run a 5k and see if I could come in at less than 17:30.  I made it in 17:28!  I had to ave. 70 rpms to do it, though.  Gonna be hard to keep that pace for 35 min., but that is my goal.  Also, my max heart rate on my last 2 sprints was 188.  I am 49, and that scared me a little.  I had no ill effects, other than being exausted.  Should I be concerned?  My ave, max heart rate for each set of 5 sprints has been around 180+ lately.

Can someone help me set points for my goals?

1)  Get into my 42 pants.  Did it.

2)  Run 10k on elliptical in 35 min.  Best time:36:30  Going for it again tomorrow.

3)  Bench 75lb. dumbbells for 8 reps.  Did 70 for 8 yesterday.

4)  No eating after 7:30.  Trying to get better.  Updated goal is to make this one for the rest of the month.

Thanks!

1)  Get into my 42 pants.  Did it.

Constitution, or maybe Dexterity?

2)  Run 10k on elliptical in 35 min.  Best time:36:30  Going for it again tomorrow.

Stamina, for sure.

3)  Bench 75lb. dumbbells for 8 reps.  Did 70 for 8 yesterday.

Strength, I think.

4)  No eating after 7:30.  Trying to get better.  Updated goal is to make this one for the rest of the month.

Wisdom, or Constitution?

If this is your first challenge (it is for me) you only attach 1 stat point to each goal. You get 10 points to assign as you wish once you make it 3 weeks.

Keep up the good work, it's really impressive how much progress you've made so far.

Level 2 Cyborg Warrior: [ STR 4 | STA 1 | CON 3 | DEX 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 1 ]         Myfitnesspal: physixer   

Challenge 1: I will do SCIENCE to it!

Challenge 2: Experimental Upgrades MK.I

"Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself

It is by will alone I set the weights in motion.

It is by the protein of whey that I acquire gainz, the muscles acquire DOMS, the DOMS becomes a warning.

Nice job hitting those goals! It's great to see what can happen after just a couple of weeks of concerted effort.

Level 2 Cyborg Warrior: [ STR 4 | STA 1 | CON 3 | DEX 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 1 ]         Myfitnesspal: physixer   

"Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." - Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself

It is by the protein of whey that I acquire gainz, the muscles acquire DOMS, the DOMS becomes a warning.

Nice job - have you considered doing your 8 reps at a lower weight and then gradually increasing the weight? If you went down to 55 lbs @ 8 reps, and then increased the weight, that might be a more gradual way to work towards your goal. Just a thought. What matters is that you're hitting the gym though. :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines