... and small trees. Sometimes she wins (I'll let you decide who won here).

320367_758751773842_1016030042_n.jpg

(WARNING: If too much text drives you crazy, this is not the battle log you are looking for.)

Okay, battle log. First off, no way this is gonna be daily. Let's be real. Secondly, I'm doing this because I feel like it would be nice to have a place to track things and actually participate more in the forums and community, but have kind of decided that challenges aren't for me. I'll probably still do a challenge now and then, but mostly I kind of like doing my own thing and being accountable to very few people (chiefly, myself). Third, I'm pretty jealous that everyone else gets loads of funny memes and gifs in their challenges and would like a few of those for myself. :D

I'm sure I've got lots to catch up on, but first a short intro for those of you who don't already know me (or don't know enough about me). My name's Laurinda, but mostly I go by Lulu around these parts (people might look at you funny if you call me Laurinda). I grew up in Southwest Alaska (commercial fishing with my huge family) and moved to Portland, Oregon in September 2010 without a job, but with a great roomie (I'd only met her twice before we drove down) who helped me through until I found one. I'm still at the same job now, working for a tribal organization studying chinook salmon spawning and rearing habitat all summer and doing office stuff (and taking vacations with all my comp time) in the winter. I just got done with our 4-month field season where we drive 4.5 hours out to Eastern Oregon for our studies on Monday and back on Friday. It makes for a long summer, so I get really inactive around here and become pretty relaxed with any sort of exercise schedule, though I was trying to keep about 95% grain-free this summer and that actually went pretty well.

Where I'm at now (edit - I guess I'm going with the four pillars approach here):

Exercise - I'm working on getting back into a good schedule with CrossFit (the goal is at least three times a week right now). I love that stuff. It kicks my butt and makes me feel strong at the same time. I love the community aspect and not having to come up with my own routine. I'm horrible both at working out alone and programming. I went on Monday and we did a workout called "Death by Thrusters." That's a real peach there. I'm looking forward to getting back some of my strength now though and most especially looking forward to getting my deadlift back up to where it used to be (I think my old 1 RM was 235 lbs... and that wasn't me really even working at it hard). I'm also going to be using this to help train for a meet-up in January. Yay, lifting! I'd also like to work on running a little, but it's not a huge goal and as the rains close in on Portland this winter, it may become even less of a priority.

Diet - As I said, I was mostly grain-free for the summer (awesome) and my figure is telling me that, combined with field-season activities, was really working for me. I've dabbled in Paleo on and off since I became a part of the community about a year and a half ago (has it only been that long?). Now that I'm back from the field, I'll probably try to tighten up on that a little and get rid of a lot of the non-healthy oils and sweeteners especially. I'm also trying to cut back on the alcohol. I love me a nightly glass or three of wine (or beer), but I've been feeling like it's getting a little out of hand. Coming into this week I had decided that I would be trying out no alcohol during the work week, but can treat myself with it on the weekends (no binge drinking, just a glass or two). This does not include kombucha (it's good for me).

Sleep - I've been having a little trouble with that recently, but have been taking steps to make it better. I've been going through this really-tired-but-can't-sleep-well stage the last couple of weeks/weekends, but the last two nights have been better. I'm 1) working out again, 2) not drinking caffeine after lunch, 3) using my awesome Sleep Cycle app to wake me up at better times. Next I think I need to make sure I eat dinner earlier in the evening. I feel like being full when I go to bed has been screwing with me a little.

Mentally - Generally I'm pretty good. I have my little ups and downs, but most people do (I like to blame hormones). Sometimes my giggles turn into maniacal laughter - normal, right? I've got some issues come up like having to find a new roomie/ move and looking for a new job (by choice), but I'm not worrying about them too much. I'm just happy to be done with the chaos and stress of field season and be settling back into my "real" life. My dog is glad to have me home, I'm excited to get back into CrossFit and meet some nerds this winter, and I'm sure my vacation to Hawaii (with my best cousin) for the last two weeks of October will do wonders for my state of mind.

That's all for now! I'll try to refrain from flooding your eyeballs with more text :tongue:

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

10/02/2013

CrossFit

Warmup:

2 laps grapevine

10 Push press @ 33 lbs.

10 Sumo deadlift high pulls @ 33 lbs.

Workout:

9 minute EMOM (every minute on the minute) Snatch @ 53 lbs.

Buy-in 2 minute AMRAP (as many reps as possible) sit-ups @ 41 reps

8 minute AMRAP @ 6 reps + 2 wall walks

- 2 wall walks @ B level (partials)

- 5/5 lateral jumps @ B level (over a bar w/o bumpers)

- 15 squats

2 minute AMRAP KB snatch @ (used a dumbbell) 20 lbs., 25 reps each side

Then I felt like the walk home was going to be too much of a trudge so I jogged. That never happens. Weird. It's only like 1/4 mile, but I guess every bit counts when it comes to working on the running part for me. I did okay on the snatch, but doing a proper squat snatch is still a bit of a struggle even at that low weight, so I'm thinking I definitely need to make some time to do even lower weight, higher rep stuff to get my form a bit smoother on it. Other than that, things went as well as can be expected for being kind of out of condition :)

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

10/03/2013

CrossFit

So, I might be turning into one of those crazy CrossFit people. Not crazy I'm-gonna-hurt-myself-crazy, but I went two days in a row... and am probably going to go again today (Friday). I pretty much never go days in a row, much less THREE days in a row. Today is strength day though, so I want to go work on lifting with Patrick.

Anyways! The workout was actually a pretty good one for me... or at least the main WOD. Here's what we did:

Warmup:

- 2 Laps power skipping

- 5 Overhead squats

- 8 Burpees

Workout:

Playtime 3 rounds

- Max effort frog stand @ on parallets... not long

- 5 Strict weighted pull-ups (anything from using a band to weighted.. whatever is difficult for you) @ deadhang, no jump, fattest band

- 5 Forward rolls

3 cycles for total rounds and reps @ 6 rounds + 18 reps

4 minute AMRAP with 1 minute rest between cycles (pick up where you left off with the last round for total rounds of reps) 

- 10 Deadlift @ 65 lbs.

- 5 Overhead anyhows @ push jerk, 65 lbs.

- 15 Box jumps @ 18 in.

I'm going to start linking the blog articles that my coach posts, so if you're curious about what he might have had to say or want to see pictures/videos of things at my little gym, you can click on "CrossFit" at the top of posts to take you there.

So I felt good about that workout. Everything I did was B-level (okay, the box jumps were two inches lower than B-level, but I'm counting it), which is pretty good since this is my first week getting back into it after my summer hiatus. Deadlifts are always something I love doing and I was afraid the Overhead anyhows were giong to be a little too heavy for me, but I managed okay :) Probably the best part though, is that this is the first workout I've done with more than a 12 inch box, and have only tried hopping higher than that once after a workout at the end of the spring. Small victory :)

My sleep has been getting better and diet's going fine (though there's been some chocolate lately... sometimes you just need that). I sometimes wonder if I'm actually eating enough, so I might consider tracking one of these weeks and see what my average intake is. I'll leave that off for a bit though.. I have a tendency to quit everything if I start overloading myself with things to do. Happy Friday!

10/05/2013

CrossFit

I made the beginners class this morning... my dog woke me up and I had about 10 minutes to make the early class, so figured I'd get it out of the way. I was finally smart and took a picture of the whiteboard afterward so I don't have to wait for Wally to post it :D I was going to try to make the strength class last night, but I was feeling pretty exhausted so just took it easy instead.

Warmup:

- 3 x 10 Partner medicine ball sit-ups (with a twist) @ advanced because I also added giggling :P

- Practice knees to elbows

Workout:

Playtime - Take 15 minutes to find your 1 RM shoulder press and/or work on practice jump rope (esp. double unders) @ 65 lbs.

12 minute AMRAP @ 4 rounds

- 5, 10, or 15 double unders @ 10 crossovers (b/c I can't do a single double under)

- 5 knees to elbows @ partials

- Corner run

Soooo... hypothetically pretty easy... and I definitely didn't feel extraordinarily taxed by the end of it, but I'm NOT into jumping rope. Like... at all. Dumb. I whipped myself with the rope quite a lot. Wally jokingly "titled" the workout Welty. I survived anyhow and got myself a maple latte on the way home (yay, weekend!). I enjoyed my breakfast in the sun, scrubbed the kitchen, and did some yard work to take advantage of the nice break in the rainy weather we're having this weekend.

I'm debating whether to go to CrossFit tomorrow or not. I want to go on Monday for sure, but was thinking about trying to make Blues Dancing (for the first time in ages) on Tuesday night. I'd like to think I could do three CrossFit days in a row followed by a night of dancing, but after not feeling up for CF yesterday (after two days straight) I'm not sure. I guess I'll just see how I feel. I s'pose I don't HAVE to CF on Monday.. *drifts off in thought*...

10/07/2013

CrossFit

Warmup:

3 rounds

- 1 Length broad jump (no, not where you jump over women)

- 5 Hollow body rocks

- 10 Push press @ 33 lbs.

Workout:

Part I -

- 1 Deadlift every 40 seconds for 6 minutes @ 175 lbs.

Part II - Tabata Something Else @ 265 reps

- 8 Rounds pull-ups @ fattest band, deadhang with a hop

- 8 Rounds push-ups

- 8 Rounds sit-ups

- 8 Rounds squats

1 Round = 20 seconds work + 10 seconds rest. Score = total reps across 32 rounds.

I told Wally that this workout was some sort of clever trick. The deadlifts pulled me in (I love deadlifts) and the bodyweight exercises are like my nemesis. It went okay though. I still can't do a pull-up worth beans, but there's... improvement. At least I can do a couple deadhangs with the thickest band now without the hop =/ The rest of the Part II I did strict, so even though my numbers weren't high, I still feel good about it. I probably could have gone a little heavier with the deadlifts if I wanted to push it, but 175 felt like a pretty good working weight for the point I'm at getting back into it all. It wasn't easy, but was very doable.

So I slept "enough" but poorly all weekend even when I did a workout on Saturday. My sleep graphs look a little funny... and I think it might have been because I added alcohol back in for the weekend. Sooo... I'd like to say I'm going to give that up for a while... but I'm going to Hawaii in about two weeks with my cousin. There will be alcohol. But it's also okay for me to be a bit tired and lazy because... vacation. When I get back though, I may be easing off of that more and experimenting with my sleep. Yay, science!

ohai

cat-takes-news-reporter-by-surprise.gif

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

10/07/2013

CrossFit

Warmup:

3 rounds

- 1 Length broad jump (no, not where you jump over women)

- 5 Hollow body rocks

- 10 Push press @ 33 lbs.

Workout:

Part I -

- 1 Deadlift every 40 seconds for 6 minutes @ 175 lbs.

Part II - Tabata Something Else @ 265 reps

- 8 Rounds pull-ups @ fattest band, deadhang with a hop

- 8 Rounds push-ups

- 8 Rounds sit-ups

- 8 Rounds squats

1 Round = 20 seconds work + 10 seconds rest. Score = total reps across 32 rounds.

I told Wally that this workout was some sort of clever trick. The deadlifts pulled me in (I love deadlifts) and the bodyweight exercises are like my nemesis.

As I was reading that I went through the same process.  "Hmm, one deadlift every 40 seconds, that sounds like fun! Wait, Tabata bw stuff! Nope!"

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

10/08/2013

Blues Dancing!

I don't really count it as a workout, but it was an activity and the reason I didn't CrossFit yesterday :D Long story short, one of my minions from summer 2012, Pablo, still includes me in his (and his family's) life. Last spring he finally convinced me I should go Blues Dancing with them and I ended up liking it (shocking... when haven't I liked dancing?). Only problem is it's on Tuesday nights, so I obviously I couldn't make that when I was working out of town all summer. So it randomly hit me over the weekend that, hey! I could put Tuesday Blues back in the schedule between CrossFit nights! What a great idea!

And it was a great idea. I stayed for about two hours and really enjoyed myself. There's a beginners lesson at 8:30 and the social dance starts at 9:00. Pablo and Benji (guy Pablo met at Blues dancing who teaches it and subsequently became one of their housemates) showed up and I danced with Pablo lots because his wife wasn't there to distract him from trying to keep me from being a wallflower. One of the things I really like about that dance community though is that people are generally friendly and are really there to dance, so they're willing to reach out to strangers and get them up out of their seats. I'm still shy about asking people to dance, but I still rarely sit one out... and when I do it's generally because I need a break. And one of the reasons I still show to the beginners lessons is so that there are a few familiar faces for the social part.

I'm pretty sure one of the newbies even has a dance crush on me now. Awwwww. He danced with me like half a dozen times and I took turns "leading" him... or... at least changing what I was doing enough so that he had to change to match my movements, thereby making it a more fun, comfortable dance. I also gave him verbal advice on how to change some things. It was fun for me to think about it and try to figure out how to direct him. You learn by teaching too, right? Anyways, after about dance three when we thanked each other for the dance, he said something about me making him glad he showed. Newbs need attention too I guess :P

Unfortunate side effect of Tuesday Blues:
 - I didn't get to bed until around 11:30, so I'm dragging right now (which is why I decided to write my post right now... excel was making me yawn too much). I still maintain it was worth it, but I need to pep up. I might have to bend the no coffee after lunch deal.. but I'm going to try to make CrossFit tonight, so I'm sure I'll be plenty tired to fall asleep even if the caffeine was affecting me at all.

10/10/2013

CrossFit

Warmup:

3 Rounds

- 10 Superman rocks

- 10 Squats

- 10 Sit-ups

Workout:

Part I - Skill/Strength

EMOM 8 minute @ 63 lbs.

- Deadlift

- Clean High Pull

- Clean

Part II - "10 Bears"

10 Rounds for time @ 12:49

- 1 Length bear walk @ C-level

- 5 Pull-ups @ heaviest band and a hop

- 10 Hand release push-ups @ strict

It all went fine... exhausting. I feel like I need work on my push-ups. My back was a little sore from letting it bow a bit when I got tired. That's not so good. I guess if I work on them though maybe I can keep myself from losing form as quickly. I need to come up with a plan for that. Wake up routine of 10 push-ups?

And again, I'm pretty disappointed with my ability to squat weight. Wally has been encouraging us to do our cleans as squat cleans to help with other movements, but I get the weight up and then chicken out of trying to add the squat. I think I'm mostly afraid that I won't be able to keep my stability well enough. After we were done with the warmup I went lower weight on the bar and did a few low-weight front squats just to get used to it. I should probably throw some of that in either before or after CrossFit once or twice a week if I want to improve for real. Part of the problem right now is that my right knee is a little tetchy. I'm trying not to mess around with actually hurting it, but stubborn me keeps trying to find a way to do all the things without it being in a position of hurt. Success so far, but I don't think I'm really helping it get better either.

Having fun with cousin this weekend :) And maybe a little TOO much fun with BigM, Spezzy, and Tin Man on Hangout last night... It's safe to say I'm pretty sleepy today, but I still had loads of fun going to the Pumpkin Patch with my buddy Andrew and cousin Danica. I even practiced my planking... 

935994_747036315312507_1175727389_n.jpg

10/13/2013

CrossFit

Warmup:

3 Rounds

- 1 Length inch worm

- 50 Jump rope

- 5 Pull-ups @ heaviest band w/ hop

Workout:

Part I - Skill/Strength

Take 15 minutes to find your 1RM deadlift @ new PR! 253 lbs. (previous was well before field season at 235 lbs.)

Part II -

3 Rounds for time @ 16:43

- 400 m Run

- 25 Wall balls @ 14 lbs.

- 15 Box jumps @ 18 in.

So Wally did it again... he gave me the deadlift to make me happy (was very very happy), then he ruined it with stuff I don't like. Gross. There were only two other people there working out, so he thought form work would be good since we had plenty of space. And he said he was giving me the deadlift as a reward since I've been coming to CF so much lately :P Super excited about my new 1RM with the deadlift. I think that if I had more time I could even have gone a teeny bit heavier. Usually the part I have trouble with is popping my hips forward at the top when I hit my max and with this one, it seemed like it was still pretty doable as soon as I got it past my shins. And it was nice that we had that time to work on it, because this is the first time I've really tried using switch grip at all, so I got to warm up with it nice and slow. Still feels a little funny, but definitely liking that as it got heavier.

For once the run was the easy part of a workout... mostly because I took it really easy and used it as my break. Wall balls and box jumps are not my friends, but I got through them. I couldn't quite bring myself to try to jump a 20 inch box, but by the end the 18 was challenging enough. My knee's still being a little funny, so I had to be pretty careful with the squat on my wall balls. Other thing about the run that made me happy: one of the other guys ran like the postman off of the N64 LoZ games. So fun :D

Soooo.... I'm in Hawaii! And have been for nearly a week. Workouts haven't been happening (though most days we get in at least an hour of walking and a little bit of swimming). I tried to convince Liz and Dee that we should do this fitness course through the park one day, but they told me it was too hot. Oahu has been fun. I've gotten to see a lot more of it than I did the last time I was here (thanks in part to my friend Sarah who drove us around a bit). We've been camped out in my friend Liz's (tiny) apartment and literally take up the whole living room between Dee on the futon and me on an air mattress. Fun times! Tomorrow we're off to Kauai for week two of our Hawaiian vacation and it sounds like we're gonna have a wicked sweet set-up. A family friend has arranged a truck for us to use, beach house for us to stay in, and has even threatened to find a boyfriend for me. The last part he did tonight... on video. Meanie. I did a lot of laughing.

My eating has also been horrible. I eat gluten/grain-free where I can, but I guess I can't say I've been trying extra hard to stay away from it. Not to mention all the deliciously sugary drinks. Vacation doesn't last forever though and I'm already steeling myself for returning to better habits when I go home. I'll enjoy it while it lasts though :) Aloha!

1394060_814395802762_2045985947_n.jpg

Random thought: I feel like my Battle Log title suggests I should learn to do the caber toss. Highland games aren't just for guys, right? Future challenge??  :P

Alright. Well, I'm back from vacation now and feel like it's time to get my head back in the "game." I've got so many things floating around in my head right now that this might all end up a jumble, but basically I guess I've decided to give the next challenge an effort. I've previously stated that challenges really aren't for me, but I need some extra motivation right now and a reason to get back into the community a little more. The long, wet winter lies ahead and I need company and drive.

Right now I'm trying to lay down groundwork for the challenge. I bought the book "Practical Paleo" earlier this year, but haven't really used it much other than to look at recipes. It has several 30-day meal plans and I'm thinking that I'll try to follow the one for Fat Loss. I've already printed out the shopping lists, so I guess it's a go... except for when I head over to Boston. Tinny, Seth, and Reptar are probably going to do their best to help me eat anything delicious that's not on my meal plan... and I'm okay with that. I've also never tried following a meal plan, so that will be an added challenge. I'm excited to finally try some of the recipes from this book and expand my cooking repertoire too though. Definitely going to take some planning ahead.

I feel like the fitness parts of the challenge are going to be a little harder to figure out right now. I will probably continue going to CrossFit, but I'd also like to build in some strict lifting for form and increased weight without over-taxing myself. The 4T meetup is coming in January after all and I want to make a good effort even if I can't go super heavy like the likes of some of the other nerds. I wish I could make the CrossFit strength class tonight, but I committed to babysitting my friend's kids. So I'm going to go next Friday and try to talk to Patrick (our strength guy) and see if he can help point me in the right direction. If I'm lucky maybe I'll run into him earlier in the week and I can put the bug in his ear that I'd like to talk more about it Friday.

The life goals will probably be something like "taking care of business." Stuff like getting myself lined up with a dentist, taking my car to the shop, getting my dog to the vet, etc. Things that I'm not good at getting around to, basically. Maybe also something like job applications. *shrug*

Things I'd LIKE to include in my challenge, not as goals but as points of curiosity/indicators of progress, are things like taking measurements (some of which I already do periodically), progress pics (more like before and after, but also including my first pics from ages ago), and weight (because I haven't weighed myself on an accurate scale in ages). Weight and measurements probably wouldn't be something I'd do more frequently than once a week... but maybe even just every two weeks. It might be time for me to just spend money on a scale even though I don't typically care about having one around. It's either that or pay for single-use passes at the gym (which could have the added benefit of allowing me to swim or weight lift). I dunno. At least the challenge doesn't start until the 11th and I have time to think about all of this a little bit more. Suggestions? Encouragements? Discouragements? Anyone?

11/04/2013

CrossFit

Warmup:

3 Rounds

- 1 Length Sampson Lunges (arms stretched overhead, fingers interlaced)

- 5/5 One Leg KB deadlifts

- 15 Sit-ups

Workout:

Part I - Skill/Strength

EMOM for 8 minutes do 3 touch-and-go snatches -OR-

Do the deadlift challenge:

V1HtLDx.jpg?2

I don't usually do these monthly challenges, but... deadlift. And also I was planning on trying to do some work on strong lifts for the upcoming Texas meet and meat, so this seemed like something I should take advantage of. New 1 RM @ 265 lbs. (told you I could have done more last month :P)

Part II - Metcon @ 6:35

21, 15, 9

- KB Swings @ 16 kg

- Burpees

So as anyone in IRC about 4:30 pm PST can vouch, I was pretty excited to go to CrossFit last night. I don't know if I've ever been that excited to work out... EVER. Guess I've just been inactive too long. After four months of tromping through streams, then getting right back into CrossFit after field season, I guess maybe I've just gotten used to moving a bit more. Vacation, puh! It was fun and very warm and sunny... but I was ready to come home. I've got some changes coming up in life (not THAT life change) and I was starting to think about them too much the last few days of vacation. So now I'm home I can actually start feeling like I can take control.

Anyways, obviously I'm excited and proud about my new 1RM deadlift. Especially since I was sharing a bar with one of the stronger/more long-term ladies at my CrossFit and she stopped a few 10s below me. She was saying that she got 260 once some time ago. I know we're not supposed to compare ourselves to others... but I like it when I start out-lifting the people who have been there three times as long as I have... especially the slender pretty ones that make everything look easy at C-level ;) I attempted 275 and might have been able to squeak it out, but I stopped before I got it to my knees because I was using too much back. Not gonna do it if I can't do it right.

I finished the metcon faster than I thought I would. It was still hard and usually burpees take me FOREVER, but it... wasn't completely horrible. I think I'm getting smarter about it too though. Instead of doing burpees until I just wanna quit, I'm starting to take them in sets of 5 and rest between. Even though I feel like I'm losing time because of resting every 5 burpees, I think over all it's faster. Guess I'd have to test it. SCIENCE! Naw... not gonna do that.

Okay, behind on my logging! Here's catching up!

11/06/2013

CrossFit

Warmup:

3 Rounds

- 10 Push presses

- 8 Reverse burpees

- 1 Lap skipping backwards

Workout:

Part I - Skill/Strength

Every 40 seconds for 4 minutes do 1 Snatch balance
Rest 2 minutes
Every 40 seconds for 4 minutes do 1 Snatch -OR-

Sub Deadlift Challenge (duh!) 5x6 @ 185 lbs.

Part II - Metcon

4 Rounds for time @ 16:55, 4 rounds
35 Double unders @ 100 singles
15 Off the deck (AKA hand release) push ups @ C-level (toes!)
35 Double unders @ 100 singles
15 Toes to bar @ partials

The deadlifts were a little rough... for the first set or two I almost felt a little woozy, but it wasn't anywhere near dangerous. It got a little better, but still felt hard. The Metcon was frustrating because I can't do double-unders, so I spent a lot more time on the ropes than those that can.

11/10/2013

CrossFit

Warmup w/ a partner

2 rounds

- 500 m run with medicine ball

- 10 med. ball sit-ups

- 10 med. ball squats

Workout

12 minute AMRAP

8/8 KB snatch

10/10 KB box step-ups @ 18 inch

12 Pull-ups @ heaviest band

Mobility

Wall paleo chair (where you lay on the floor and put your feet on the wall)

Thoracic spine rolling

So this was the Sunday morning "beginner" class run by one of our long-time CFers (Rachel)... and none of the people who showed up were beginners. We're awesome :D I also followed it with my deadlifts and this (5x5 @ 195 lbs.) actually felt a lot better than my previous set. I don't know if it's because I was DLing already warmed up or if it's because I had more days of rest before I did it, but it felt good. I went to stretch in the park after because everyone else was already gone (except Wally) and it was sunny out. Then I ran into a couple of the CrossFitters at the local bakery/coffee shop and had a nice sit-down and visit :)

11/11/2013

CrossFit

Warmup:

3 Rounds

- 4 Toes to bar @ partials

- 8 Burpees

- 16 Squats

Workout:

Part I - Playtime
3 Rounds, not for time
1 Minute rowing practice
1 Minute jump rope practice
1 Minute frog stand practice

Part II - Benchmark WOD
Randy: 75 Snatches for time (75/53) @ 8:16

There were two other options for which benchmark WOD we wanted to do, but I was being a grump and indecisive and this seemed the easiest. It worked out okay and made me a little less grumpy. And I definitely wasn't feeling up for deadlifting afterward.

11/12/2013

CrossFit

Warmup:

3 Rounds

- 10/10 Mountain Climbers

- 15 Back extensions/supermans

- 1 Length inchworms

I practiced the skill work, overhead squats, a little for a few sets of 3 at 53 lbs. I also did a few sets of 3 as back squats just to get some more squat work in without feeling unstable or like I was going to drop the bar on my head. Then I didn't actually do any of the playtime or workout. Deadlift and deadlift alone day! I wanted to take my time with my 80% because I haven't really done heavy sets before and didn't know how long it would take me. It was fun watching everyone else do bar-facing burpees and stuff while I took breaks ;) So my DLs were 80% of my 1RM for 5x4. I tend to round down to the nearest 5 or 10 for my calculations, so I was lifting at 210.