Part II - Metcon

For time @ 13:15
Buy in: 10 box jumps (30″) @ 20"
3 Rounds
50 Double unders @ 100 singles
25 Wall ball sit ups (20/14) @ 14 lbs.
15 Box jumps (24″) @ 18"
Buy out: 10 box jumps (30″) @ 20"

First time I've ever done a 20-inch box jump, woo! (Much less 20). The buy-out was scary, because I didn't know if I could make the jump while tired, but it was fine. No shin scraping happened last night by myself or anyone else. Also, I hate jumping rope. Still. The deadlifts actually went pretty easy. I mean, duh it's heavy, but after the first set I thought it was really going to wear me out.. and it didn't. The only thing that could have been better about them is if I had washed my workout pants so I wasn't doing them in shorts. The bar was trying to stick to my legs a little, so the top of the pull was interesting. Between sets I played around with Sarah's favorite foam roller (the knobbly one) and worked on rolling out my back and legs. I think I'm with her on that being the best one... it's hurty, but the smooth rollers just don't do it for me as much. My lower back has been feeling a little tight and crampy, so that definitely helped loosen me up and made the remaining deadlifts feel a little better. I've also been trying to work on my upper legs (IT band area especially) to see if that helps release anything that might be making my knee goofy. It doesn't feel too bad, but I also haven't been trying to aggravate it with squats much, so we'll see what happens.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

11/17/2013

CrossFit

Warmup:

3 Rounds

- 250 Meter rows

- 10 Squats

- Push-ups

Workout:

Part I - Skill/Strength

Take 15 minutes to find a 1RM clean -OR-

Sub Deadlift Challenge @ 5x6 at 185 lbs.

Part II - Metcon @ 13:42

Buy in: 1 minute handstand hold
3 Rounds
 - 25 Inbred cousins (20/14) @ 8 lbs.
 - 15 KB swings (heavy) @ 35 lbs. ? (I _think_ it was a 16 kg kettlebell)
Buy out: 1 minute handstand hold

So weekends are our "fun" days and we get to do a sort of choose your own adventure workout. We throw out exercises that we want to do and Wally makes a metcon for us. Inbred cousins... are terrible, but I think I ended up with a good technique for them. Very efficient. I was the one that suggested handstands, because I like them :P Afterward I did 5x5 one-arm floor presses (first two sets at 20 lbs., last three at 25 lbs.) to help with my benchpress. Then I decided to do 5x5 on the bench... and told Wally to keep an eye on me and make sure I didn't die. My sets were 45, 65, 75, 80, and 85 lbs.

11/19/2013

CrossFit

Warmup:

3 Rounds

- 2 Laps power skip

- 10 Hollow body rocks

- 10/10 Mountain climbers

Workout:

Part I - Playtime

3 Rounds not for time
Max effort consecutive toes to bar
Max effort triple standing broad jump
5/5 KB clean and jerk -OR-

Sub Deadlift Challenge @ 5x5 @ 195 lbs.

Part II - Metcon

2 Rounds for time @ 10:59
9 Cleans (135/95) @ 65 lbs.
12/12 Lateral hops
6 Squat cleans (135/95) @ 65 lbs.
12/12 Lateral hops
3 Squat clean thrusters (135/95) @ 65 lbs.
12/12 Lateral hops

For the most part I was able to power through the deadlift without letting the bar rest between reps. Definitely feel like I'm getting better with those and I don't know if it's more that I'm getting stronger at that lift with all this work on it or if it's that I finally feel like I'm getting good at finding a rhythm. Doing the squat cleans and squat clean thrusters at 65 lbs. felt good... especially because just recently I was whining to Tinny about being weak at squatting and afraid to go heavier than 65 lbs. And I didn't think about or feel my knee at all while I was doing these despite it still being a little funny... so maybe I just need to tune it out a bit more and actually doing movements properly will help strengthen whatever's lacking. Also, if you read Wally's post on this one, I'm the student who "wisely expressed" that "CrossFit is always hard because the better you get at it the harder you can push yourself." We had a new guy... he puked afterward. We're trying to get him to keep coming back :P Also, there's a terrible picture of me doing lateral hops.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

11/21/2013

CrossFit

Warmup:

3 Rounds

- 1 Length inch worms

- 8 Reverse burpees

- 30 Seconds paleo chair

Workout:

Part I - Playtime

Somethin' I don't remember -OR-

Sub Deadlift Challenge @ 5x4 @ 208 lbs.

Part II - Metcon

2 Rounds for time @ 8:29
9 Jerks @ 65 lbs.
12/12 Split jumps
6 Push press 65 lbs.
12/12 Split jumps
3 Shoulder press 65 lbs.
12/12 Split jumps

Sooo... I officially hate split jumps. No big surprise there. I ended up just doing them as lunges because they were wearing me out too fast. And... walking home afterward, my knee felt a little funny from them, but it was more like things that weren't strong enough were tightening up... but there's still an imbalance. At least I have more of an idea of what I can do for it now. I probably also need to roll out the opposite side more (I find this difficult) and focus on getting my toes turned in a bit more on squats and the like. Shoulder press is also a little frustrating. Ahhh... strict strength moves. I had to dip a little to get the bar past my eyes on a couple of them to get it done. Just... couldn't quite press it the whole workout. Someday. The deadlifts were "easy" to pump out. I was working with someone who already had a bar setup and she was using the 33 lb. bar, so I did 208 (adding weight on top of hers) instead of 210. Big whoop :P I also added in some benching after the metcon, but took it a little easy because my arms were already kind of tuckered. So it was 5x5 at 45, 65, and 75 lbs (for the last three).