[Paleo] Raspberry Pie?

Mighty_Mouse

Hey gang-

I figured if anybody had a Paleo recipe for raspberry pie, the fine folk at Nerd Fitness would. :)

I'm already planning on baking a Paleo apple pie next week from a recipe I found online, but my boyfriend is asking for raspberry pie and I can't seem to find anything. Does anyone have a recipe I could borrow for this?

Or, barring an actual Paleo recipe, has anyone had any success substituting Paleo ingredients in a normal recipe? I'm specifically wondering about subbing in almond flour for regular flour.

Thanks gang!

~Mighty_Mouse

• Like 1

"Perhaps, therefore, ideal stage managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds." --Peter Hall

Support debauchery, blackmail, and treachery.

I've never had a raspberry pie, but I assume any paleo pie crust would work for the bottom crust, then just do a crumble topping on it? (I usually throw together almond flower, sliced almonds, pecans, honey, coconut oil, butter, and a dash of salt and mash it all together, then crumble it on top) As for the filling, I assume it's just fruit, seasoning, sugar (honey), maybe juice, and a thickener. Arrowroot powder works as a perfect substitute for corn starch, which is what I usually use as a thickener in pies.

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

Excellent Vian, thanks so much! I was having problems finding something to sub in for corn starch. I have a pie crust recipe that served me well in my pre-Paleo days, so I think I'm going to try using almond flour and see how it works. I'm just nervous because I hear it's a little difficult to work with.

"Perhaps, therefore, ideal stage managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds." --Peter Hall

Support debauchery, blackmail, and treachery.

Almond flour does not work like wheat flour. It doesn't have the gluten to bind it together. I used this one once for a quiche. I liked the crust, and I liked the quiche, but I did not like them together. The crust was too sweet, but it would be perfect for a fruit or berry pie. http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-pie-crust/

I really don't think a top crust would work. Generally almond flour crusts require that you just press the dough into the pie pan, it's far too brittle to try and roll it out to form a top crust. I think a crumble topping is the way to go.

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

You could always make a "cold pie" by cooking the raspberries into a compote on the stovetop with some gelatin or pectin as the thickener (or cranberries, they work great). and then pour it into a baked pie shell and let it cool and thicken in the fridge.  

If you insist on a "cooked pie" just cover the pie with foil instead of a top crust since you're using paleo crusts.

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Str- 18, Dex-12, Sta-10, Con-23, Wis-88, Cha-47

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog