C'mon People, We're Making it Now! - My Design 4 Life! OS

Hello Nerds! Welcome!  :nevreness:

Thank you for reading my post (apologies for any stupid autocorrelation touch type errors!)

I'm from the UK, 23 and currently at a turning point towards the end of Uni.

Obviously, I'm a nerd too, Huge fan of Indiana Jones and love adventure and some science-fiction movies (blade runner, minority report, star wars, the usual). Like a lot of Nerds, I like videogames too (classic SEGA, fighting games, adventure games like monkey island). Very much into educational/documentary stuff too, and enjoy design, industry, manufacturing and society, cultures and history.

I have a lot of flaws in my lifestyle. Be default, I'm usually okay. Whenever I'm sunken into project work, stressed or frightened, lifestyle goes down the gutter. With a lot of career based stress coming my way after the following year, I'm usually always on uptight or worried about something. You can say that I'm generally reactive towards things once my wellbeing is low. This is what most of the last few months has been like for me.

Recently, I've been going to a really rough patch in my life, linked to my health and with difficult life descisions and a recent passing of a relative who was obese.

This will be the third attempt of me ever loosing weight, at 264lbs, almost at the biggest I've ever been.

This is also the first time I've ever made an online journal, I'm finding it incredibly helpful and engaging and helpful with getting answers to certain things e.g. asthma.

I'm vegetarian, so no fish or meat here :-/, and have cod liver oil supplement. When I'm home I'm usually great with healthy living. At uni, it fluctuates, deadline time won't be so great or if I'm anxious on grades or just generally blue etc.

I heard about this awesome sites on the artofmanliness recent podcast and fell in love with the concept. I felt as if it was exactly what I needed right now, especially with the 6 week journey and considering how effective the journal route has been for me.

I'll be starting today. This is it! Adventurers Assemble!

Just to note, I once attempted to start back in May, but life got in the way and I wasn't in a good and positive mindset.

I've been preparing for this moment. I've read up on everything I needed to know and hear and have been officially going for 4 days with healthy eating and full on exercise every 48hrs.

At my weight, it's gonna make one hell-of-a journal, showing a range of emotions and difficult times I'm sure, but this is it. I can feel it. I'm gonna make this THIRD STRIKE COUNT!

Looking forward to updating and reading other peoples journeys, apologies for the long post!

Update: Posting a picture of me timestamped. At first I felt a little uncomfortable posting a picture, but I agree with what Master Kamb said, it needs to be done, and right now, I'm glad I did it.

I blurred my face for now, but a year from now, when I'm ready to become the next guy on the transformation column (lol!), I might go for it!

P.S. Thanks for reading, looking forward to reading the stories of others, lets go!

Daily Battle Logs: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38294-upgrading-my-bodyware-os-journal-to-a-modern-me/

• Like 1

IntroductionBodyware: Fitness Journal

Challenge Belt: (1)(2)(3)(4), (5), (6), (7), [WOOT](8), [TEMP HIATUS], (9)

Bodyweight Info: Starting: 264.5lbs, Current: 167.8lbs (NEUTRAL)

IronGlider v2.10, Adventurer Rank: Level 8

Hey! I am new to NerdFitness as well :)  Third time is the charm right? I believe you can do this and it sounds like you believe too! Or else you wouldn't be here. 

I look forward to seeing you around in the forums :D and perhaps you will be my competitor in some of the challenges as well! :D

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

Hi IronGlider, it's great to have you aboard, and I'm sure you'll knock this third attempt out of the park! Especially with the whole of NF behind you to cheer you on :) (And I shall check out/sub to your challenge thread!)

And yay for another NerdFitness person from the UK! That makes you, me and Lindsey_M that I've found so far :P

I hear you with the fact that being down or stressed does NOT help being healthy. But recently I've been trying out going to the gym to try and relieve stress instead of just gorging on chocolate! So I will report back on that one!

But best of luck, I'm now off to check out your challenge thread!

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

Thanks vengefulpear! Very nice comment thanks! :-)

Yeah I'm feeling confident about this third attempt too! Totally determined, totally ready!

Yeah, even though I exercise at home by turning my room into a gym, I make sure to jog around the block inbetween the 48hr intervals.

And thanks for the positive community comment/support, I like it, we're all going to be looking out for each other!

Hello, add another UK member to the list!

You seem completely motivated for this attempt, I know all to well about how feeling down can cause problems.

I'll chip in with a small quote from one of my favourite actors for over 14 years, Dwayne The Rock Johnson that has stuck with me recently:

Be the type of person that when your feet touch the floor in the morning the devil says "Aww ****.... they're up"

Just to give a mini update here, I'm really intrigued to see how much has changed physically when it's time to post a physical picture, I certainly feel really different than I did when I took that first pick, both physically and mentally. 

As in the words of the great Richard Ashcroft "This time, this time, this time I'm gonna rise..." :-)

Dude, good luck!

Posting the pictures may be a good idea, I should do the same in my newbie thread.  In fact, no excuses, I'll take my first "before" pic when I go to the gym in...well, fifteen minutes.

Remember:  good form and baby steps!

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 - DEX 2.25 - STA 4.5 - CON 5.5 - WIS 6 - CHA 6

Introduction

Previous Battle Log     Current Battle Log

First Challenge     Previous Challenge     Current Challenge

Holiday Mini-Challenge

日本語 PvP

What do we say to the god of failure?  NOT TODAY.

1 month in from beggining my brand new, sustainable health, wellbeing and fitness:

axk8yp.jpg

Bodyware & OS Updates/Changelog:

Aspiration and Asthma +3
Increased Activity/Productivity +1

Increased Stamina +1

Increased Confidence +1

Increased Dumbbell Weight Max Capacity: +2

Increased Healthy Eating +1

Weight decreased in a month: 10.5lbs

Bugs Removed:

Bad Asthma

Lack of Natural Sources of Energy 

Cannot Overclock for long (fitness)

Navigation driver fault

New Goals:

Get to at least 240lbs for the New Year.

@ReachingForTheStars Thanks man, will do! :-) tbh The fact that my asthma's considerably better is enough to make me stick with it, I just hope I can continue to be resilient, but yeah, thing's are looking up!

@Super Destroyer Thank you so much for the kind words! It means a lot, esp. coming from a legend like you! :-) Got about 80lbs to lose to reach my goal, have my BMI in check and continue on the path to healthy living. I'm gonna see it through! Hopefully around the time of my birthday in mid June, I'll be a lot better shape then I am now.

@Rookie Thanks man! Have also listened to some of ya tracks too! Hope Rook's okay! :-) 

@SillyAnneh Thanks for the compliments + nice words, much appreciated! :-) 

And yeah, I'm glad I've gone with it too. At first, I had the idea to do something like this a long time ago, but then it was poorly implemented (spreadsheet = yuck!) and some people would think "Why do you want to compare your human existence to a machine? How sad are you?"

Back then I knew where they were coming from and I didn't go through with that perspective, thinking that it's not the right frame of mind to have.

But, you know what? Maybe I am sad, but as someone who's really passionate about machines (I'm a product designer for frags sake!) at a time in my life just several months ago until starting NF is when I felt the absolute most dis appreciation for what my health, body and wellbeing. As a result, I have been disrespecting it for so long by feeding it crap, overeating, not pushing it or exercising and esp. not treating any of it's problems. 

And living over BMI, untuned, weak and feeling low/self-concious/unsubstantial practically my whole life. If changing my perspective on how I view myself and my body allows me to have good habits, eat healthy, exercise and maintain a neutral as I have for the past month, then, emulating a machine has never felt so human.

But yeah... the fact that you think it's cool means a heluvalot to me, and your words have certainly put validity to my frame of mind. It ain't just "less is more", it's "less and more"... 

And with that logic, is how I'm going to work my way to the top...

Hey man, you have to do whatever works for you. Comparing yourself to a machine isn't sad at all. Maybe for someone who has no interest in them. But for people like us, this is what we have, this is what we love, and this is what we do.

Machines aren't lifeless; they're potential. Couple of bios updates, dust off the ol' hardware, and wave goodbye to that old life in the rearview mirror as you drive off into the sunset.

IronGlider,

You are doing great. 10.5 lbs! That is a bunch of weight. That is 1.25 gallons of milk. The next time you go to the store find 10.5 lbs. of hamburger (you will need to find 2 family packs) and set it down and stare at it. That was fat, it was on you, and now it's GONE!

You know what? I think you are starting to like yourself more. You know why? Because YOU my friend, are someone worth liking.

Your posts are just as motivating to me as mine might be to you. I am on my thirteenth or thirtieth or fifty third try, who cares, get back up and carry on.

SillyAnneh, Your posts are always motivational and your signature line is THE best line from THE best movie ever. Biscuits.

You are only a conspiracy theorist until you are right. Then you are a visionary.

SillyAnneh, Your posts are always motivational and your signature line is THE best line from THE best movie ever. Biscuits.

love old westerns, Jeremiah Johnson is probably my all-time favorite movie. When ol' Bear Claw Lapp goes running through the cabin with a grizzly bear in hot pursuit, jumps through the back window, and yells "skin that one, Pilgrim, and I'll git ya another'n!" I about fell out of my chair. :highly_amused:

And thank you, that's nice of you to say :)

Haha excellent! I was about to post my motivational video for today in my fitness journal. Buuut I will give you a sneak peak. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyVh-nQbgDs

Its short but I love it. And perfect because I am about to go to horseback riding! :D 

Keep up the good work. And I think theres no difference from referring to your body as a machine, then there is referring to it as a temple. I would rather have the body of a machine though :P 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

Just read through your journal and WOW!!! You are doing such a fantastic job! Being able to take an such an epic quest while nearing the end of Uni has got to be challenging, and you've already demonstrated that you are more than capable of conquering it! I totally related to the sinking into a work project/stressed/frightened state leading to a complete collapse of mindfulness and wellness. I would always say "as soon as this is over, THEN I'll get on track!" Looks like we're both figuring out that there will always be something else that will deter us on the horizon, and it's how we are able to maintain our lifestyles throughout these difficulties that truly define us. 

I love the bodyware updates and bugs removed, super cute :) It's so inspiring to read your transformation in how you feel, and you have already dropped so many pounds. Truly impressive! Keep up the amazingness!

• Like 1

Level 2 Half-Elf Druid

STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Current Challege

"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed."

"If the road is easy, you're likely going the wrong way."

(from Terry Goodkind, the Sword of Truth series)